PDA

View Full Version : Which fuel pump for my 460

1968Droptop
05-14-2006, 09:12 AM
I lost my fuel pump yesterday. Lukily it gave up the ghost at the end of the day, right in front of the boat launch. My engine has open Bassett's (OTT), dual plane intake, Holley 750 vacuum secondary (with the lightest spring on the secondaries), typical jet boat cam, low compression heads:mad:, MSD ignition, and saddle tanks.. I'm looking to stay w/a mechanical fuel pump. What do you guys recommend ?

bakerjet
05-14-2006, 09:18 AM
clay smith :)

460rogers
05-14-2006, 09:46 AM
One thing to watch is the fuel line ports on the pump if you have a front engine plate.Some will not work without some severe mods to the plate.
I had a heck of a time putting on an edlebrock pump on my 460.

JETBOY03
05-14-2006, 12:01 PM
i would also have to say clay smith. get it quick next weekend its alder.

Squirtcha?
05-14-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm running the Holley mechanical. I hear the clay smith's are real good and I have to believe it. There are a number of Ford guys here that run em and with good success.
Ports shouldn't be an issue with either of these pumps as you can take em apart and rotate the ports pretty much any way you want. If you're running a rail type mount with a front motor plate/mount you will have to cut a hole in it for pump clearance, but it's not due to the ports so much as just the physical size of the pump itself.
HLY-12-460-11 $79.88
Estimated Ship Date: Tomorrow
Application Suggested Parts Warranty Show All
Brand: Holley
Product Line: Holley Mechanical Fuel Pumps
Free Flow Rate: 110 gph
Maximum Pressure (psi): 6.5 to 8 psi
Inlet Attachment: Female threads
Inlet Size: 3/8 in. NPT
Inlet Quantity: Single
Outlet Attachment: Female threads
Outlet Size: 3/8 in. NPT
Outlet Quantity: Single
Quantity: Sold individually.
Fuel Pump, Mechanical, Ford, Big Block 385 Series, Each
Holley Street Performance mechanical fuel pumps are designed to work with stock or mildly modified engines, and deliver free-flow outputs from 80 to 130 gph. Their body castings can be rotated 360 degrees to ease mounting in difficult places, and they have large orifices for high flow rates. Most have 3/8 in. NPT inlets and outlets. A fuel pressure regulator is required for 130 gph versions.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/hly-12-460-11_w.jpg

1968Droptop
05-14-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm running the Holley mechanical. I hear the clay smith's are real good and I have to believe it. There are a number of Ford guys here that run em and with good success.
I looked them up on Clay Smith's web site. Here's what it said:
High Volume Fuel Pumps >
1300 HP Fuel Pump Clay Smith Engineering, home of the Original 6 valve pump, often copied but never equalled. A custom fuel pump to solve fuel supply problems for your R.V., performance or racing engines. You no longer need costly dual pumps to do the job one Clay Smith Power Pumper can easily do better. Manufactured to stringent specifications by Clay Smith, this pump surpasses any known mechanical fuel pump on the market today for efficiency and reliability. Each Clay Smith Power Pumper is built fromexclusively designed components and is engineered to provide superior performance and unbeatable durability. These pumps will supply 14 -16 PSI fuel pressure and pump 140 GPH (Gallons Per Hour), freeflow, through their specially designed 6-valve body. This massive flow will easily handle even the largest size Dominator carburetors, on gas or alcohol. *And, according to dyno figures, it takes approximately 10 gallons of gas per 100 HP per hour, the Clay Smith Power Pumper will theoretically handle up to 1300 HP on gas or 1150 HP on alcohol! Clay Smith Custom Fuel Pumps are available for virtually all popular engines, including; Chevy Big Block, Chevy Small Block, Mopar "B" Block, Chrysler 426 Hemi, all Small Block Fords (except C and M series)and 429-460 Fords. NOW AVAILABLE in Polished. Specify when ordering.
Sounds like a great pump, but 14-16 PSI...yikes ! I don't want to run a regulator. I want to keep it simple and clean looking. This was the only pump Clay Smith had listed for Ford BB's. That Holley may be the way to go. I don't know much about Holley mechanical pumps, I know the elec's are good.

Squirtcha?
05-14-2006, 02:22 PM
I don't know much about Holley mechanical pumps.
I've been running mine for four years. It's doing fine so far. I have a regulator but it's really being used more like a distribution block more than anything. It's setup for max pressure and doesn't seem to be a problem.
http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/data/500/19fuel_distribution.jpg

bradbigsley
05-14-2006, 03:08 PM
i run a carter mechanical with 0 problems..

76elimspecial
05-14-2006, 03:28 PM
I Have A Holley On My 460....no Probs.

atxwrangler
05-14-2006, 06:14 PM
i have an almost brand new holley i'll sell,only 2 hrs $50.00.