PDA

View Full Version : What do you gutys think of the boats with Berkley 12JE pumps

srshll
11-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Just need some info on the Berkley 12JE pumps over the others. Which ones are better performance wise. 12JI, 12JG. I am thinking of buying a boat, An 18 footer that has a 12JE in it. Thanks for all your help
Kevin

BigBlockBaja
11-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Just my 2 cents..
Guys say the intake isnt as good as say C pump. I had an F pump and thought it was fine. With some work, It can be a nice pump. And just think, you can open your clean out in the middle of the lake without sinking!
My F-E pump before I sold it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1636100_6309.JPG

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Roostwear is running a Advantage open bow 18'er with an E-pump he has run 71.3mph with a C-bowl !!!

SmokinLowriderSS
11-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Roostwear is running a Advantage open bow 18'er with an E-pump he has run 71.3mph with a C-bowl !!!
It beats a Panther or a Jac. :p
j/k.
It's a good pump, but it has it's "issues". The intake is a little shorter (consequently steeper also) than the other style pumps whick makes a loader morte of a necesity at a lower boat speed, and loader quality more important too I think (how well it works, not how well it's made). To do any aftermarket mods to it beyond loader, you need a split bowl so you can bolt on snoots, droops, diverters, etc.
My Taylor is running an "F" which is an E with the factory nozzler diverter setup and she runs really good. Ran 62 last spring on a really tight, still not broken in motor at 4700 RPM and a scarred up hull (being worked over this winter).

srshll
11-20-2005, 09:16 PM
I have a 21 foot Daycruiser with a stock Panther running 65 on gps. All on motor alone ( a well built Ford 460). I am looking to buy this other boat, but I am having second thoughts about it because of the 12JE pump.
Thanks
Kevin

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2005, 09:20 PM
I have a 21 foot Daycruiser with a stock Panther running 65 on gps. All on motor alone ( a well built Ford 460). I am looking to buy this other boat, but I am having second thoughts about it because of the 12JE pump.
Thanks
Kevin
The Berk E pump and Panther are similar only that they are insert pumps. The Berk will handle more power than the Panther and get it to the water. Also there is not much in the way of performance mods for the Panther. But I have heard a few rumors about stuff being worked on for the Panthers, not sure what the status is on that at this time.

SmokinLowriderSS
11-21-2005, 03:50 AM
I don't really dislike the panthers or jacuzzis, I was just pot-stirring a bit. :argue:
The worst part of the panther IMO (other than the fact that that shaft seems awfully small when the HP gets big) is the lack of mod parts. The berk mixed flow design was a better high-perf design orriginally and all the mod parts for racing (and the strictly performance-designed "2nd generation" pumps like Agressor, Dominator & Amer Turbine mate to Berk parts) wound up being made for them ("all" as in huge majority). The other pump designs simply became dead-ends by natural selection.

IMPATIENT 1
11-21-2005, 06:31 AM
i'm breaking low 80's with a 12je thanks to alittle help from members here. it's in a 78 taylor sj. i'm using a mid level loader,place divertor,hp shoe and ride plate kit with the 1piece berk bowl.i like it.with it setup rite they're hard to cavitate and offer a good ride too.i'm sure in faster boats you'd need a better intake setup but for the average jet boat it serves it's purpose.just my 2

Outlaw
11-21-2005, 06:09 PM
I have three buddies with E pumps, and another with a panther. The guy with the panther would give his left nut to have a Berkeley even a E than his Panther.
The epumps work fine for most apps. all run in the mid 70's @3500 plus ft elevation. The problem that I see with the panther is it's pretty easy to overpower them...

Squirtin Thunder
11-21-2005, 06:39 PM
I have three buddies with E pumps, and another with a panther. The guy with the panther would give his left nut to have a Berkeley even a E than his Panther.
The epumps work fine for most apps. all run in the mid 70's @3500 plus ft elevation. The problem that I see with the panther is it's pretty easy to overpower them...
Over powering the Panther is fairly easy do to the poor intake design, lack of water. But the impeller shaft is about the size of a 5/16 push rod on a BBF. I hope that helps.

SmokinLowriderSS
11-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Over powering the Panther is fairly easy do to the poor intake design, lack of water. But the impeller shaft is about the size of a 5/16 push rod on a BBF. I hope that helps.
I've got a whole set of 5/16 pushrods for a BBC if any of the panther guys need new shafts. 16 of 'em available. :D

IMPATIENT 1
11-21-2005, 07:31 PM
I've got a whole set of 5/16 pushrods for a BBC if any of the panther guys need new shafts. 16 of 'em available. :D
smokin, you goin to next yrs. taylor meet a broken bow,ok.?