PDA

View Full Version : can a stock moter take a smALL BLOWER

EMCAM
11-20-2005, 02:31 PM
i HAVE A 502 IN MY ELIMINATOR AND WANT TO AD A LITTLE POWER .aLUMINUM heads a cam some pump work and was thinking of a blower. dont want the fastest boat just want a cool boat that has some nuts. Can i put a blower on a relativly stock 502 and run low boost. HELP

Huffer
11-20-2005, 02:58 PM
5 TO 6LBS OF BOOST 28 DEGREES OF TIMING AND CHEAP GAS!BEEN DOING IT FOR 4 YEARS NOW!LOVE THE BOOST FEELS LIKE YA PUT ANOTHER MOTOR
IN IT AS MY GIRLFRIEND SAID!STOCK RODS,TWO BOLT MAINS,CAST PISTONS,CAST CRANK!

Heatseeker
11-20-2005, 05:55 PM
I bolted a 8-71 on top of an 18 year old 454(cast/cast) and it held up for almost 2 seasons. It only popped when I seriously hammered it for an extended period.
Like huffer said, if you treat it right, it can live.

EMCAM
11-21-2005, 05:10 PM
do i need to change the cam?

EMCAM
11-21-2005, 05:13 PM
do i need to change to solid roller cam ? And i am going to put on edelbrock heads ,what kind of rpm and horsepower can i expect with 6 lbs of boost?

Snowboat
11-22-2005, 08:48 AM
You are sounding "horsepower hungry". Stay at very low boost and it might live. Higher horsepower requires really good parts. The more power you add the more careless one becomes. Under five pounds of boost may sound like a small addition but its not. Sustained boost is very different from peak boost. When the guys are talking about big numbers, they seldom mention the incredible amount of money and experience that keeps their engines together. My humble opinon would be three pounds of boost with with 32 to 34 degrees and pull spark plugs for weeks, like they had a zipper. When you are sure everything is OK, change a pulley, a bit. Your jet will spend more time at higher rpm than a v drive. When you are talking boost, remember its like blowing on a fire, something's going to get hot quickly. Start very slowly. If you subtract your present vacuum from your future boost, there will be quite a change in psi.

MKEELINE
11-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Emcam,
I have a Comp Cam roller cam, springs(less than 1 hour), lifters and retainers, with about 30 hours on them, for sale. This is a blower cam that i was using on a turbo motor, it just won't work w/ the turbos. I'm asking $400 for everything. If your interested I can give you the specifics on the parts.
Thanks,
Mike

Badburn
11-22-2005, 10:34 AM
I had a 19 ft centurion tunnel boat years ago, it had a stock pick-up truck 454 in it with a holley 800 on top. I put a weiand 174 on top and put the same carb back on and it gained 10 mph.(70 to 80) It made 10 lbs with a 7 inch lower pulley and a 2.5 inch top pulley- it was freakin comedy- you should have heard the wine that little blower made!! It lasted a whole year until one day held it to the wood too long and an exhaust valve broke. :cry: Good times. :rollside:

Larry Nebb
11-22-2005, 02:24 PM
you might be able to but I know I would not make it across the lake before I cooked it.
So I will be the one to buck the trend and say if you want a blower engine build one right. just my -0.02

Craig
11-22-2005, 04:23 PM
I put a B&M 250 blower on my 454 Mag, Redid the heads, changed the cam, here's the story http://www.justanothertoy.com/114cat.htm
Craig