11-20-2005, 03:07 PM
http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/view/1352?UserDef=true&catID=79
:)
Signed Ken.
Volunteer Publicist :)
http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32769

NashvilleBound
11-20-2005, 03:27 PM
6pm is the repeat for US Soldiers boat and at 9pm is the new episode...... Nascar....

ULTRA28
11-20-2005, 05:44 PM
I would like to apologize in advance for anything done or said on tonights episode that may question the intelligence of the viewer. I have not previewed this episode, but have been told that there is at least one thing on it that will piss me off, as well as anybody that knows anything about boats. Please understand that it is not me or Ultra that makes the decisons on what goes into these shows and for the most part, I don't even know what they are filming other than the scenes that I'm in.

GrapeApe
11-20-2005, 05:49 PM
John, why didn't they allow you a little more Control?? Maybe as an Associate Producer or something.. That is a hige risk to let them have 100% Control over what is shot, and Produced as the Final Product.. 99% of the People watching don't know you, or Ultra, and it could have a Negative reflection on your Company. Maybe if they Pick up the show and shoot more episodes, you could be more a part of it..
*** Grape Ape ***

NashvilleBound
11-20-2005, 05:52 PM
I would like to apologize in advance for anything done or said on tonights episode that may question the intelligence of the viewer. I have not previewed this episode, but have been told that there is at least one thing on it that will piss me off, as well as anybody that knows anything about boats. Please understand that it is not me or Ultra that makes the decisons on what goes into these shows and for the most part, I don't even know what they are filming other than the scenes that I'm in.
LOL...Stacy and I were watching the repeat and laughing pretty good at the obstacle course..... she has concerns with the stereo guys..... but we both agree your still turning out awsome products....

ULTRA28
11-20-2005, 06:00 PM
John, why didn't they allow you a little more Control?? Maybe as an Associate Producer or something.. That is a hige risk to let them have 100% Control over what is shot, and Produced as the Final Product.. 99% of the People watching don't know you, or Ultra, and it could have a Negative reflection on your Company. Maybe if they Pick up the show and shoot more episodes, you could be more a part of it..
*** Grape Ape ***
I know, believe me, I've recieved more than enough phone calls about the 85+ MPH speed of the 28 Stealth last week. People think it's me trying to claim that. It was part of the contract I had that allowed them control. We'll see how things go after these episodes air as to what the future is going to be.

HocusPocus
11-20-2005, 06:01 PM
to me the main thing isn't the drama or the things the producers may deem worthy to televise.. but the end result of your product. I can't afford an Ultra but that doesn't mean its not at the top of my wishlist. :D

phebus
11-20-2005, 06:06 PM
All I can say, is they must be paying you pretty good then. Why else would you allow your ideals to be compromised. I have always been a huge fan of Ultra's, and the people that know you are laughing with you, but who knows what effect this "showcase" of your products is having on the general buying public.
Big risk you took with this show that you seem to have no control of, and tends to make your build process a comedy of errors.

CAPTAIN KEN
11-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Awhh jeez. Do this mean i should resign myself from self proclaimed volunteer publicist title. :p I'm sure it's not all that bad John. It's T.V. after all is said and done.We expect to tolerate some embellishing for the entertainment value. The nationwide notoriety is still a great value for www.ultraboats.com.
After all "The Stalker never lies " :)

GrapeApe
11-20-2005, 06:09 PM
I know, believe me, I've recieved more than enough phone calls about the 85+ MPH speed of the 28 Stealth last week. People think it's me trying to claim that. It was part of the contract I had that allowed them control. We'll see how things go after these episodes air as to what the future is going to be.
Well.. I love the Show.. Hopefully you will get to put out more then the 4 they shot.. Keep up the Good Work.. BTW, how is the 25 Deck coming along? Any New Pics that you can post...? :D
*** Grape Ape ***

cxr133
11-20-2005, 06:13 PM
im thinking that maybe a future episode should go something like this..
John brings a customer like Puff Daddy or some other rapper in to see a boat...
the sounds guys are listening to Country or top 40 music and JOHN goes OFF
gets a pipe throws the radio on the ground and smashed it to pieces!!!!! :220v: :220v:
after that viewership will skyrocket. :rollside:
BTW i love the shows so far. IMO the boat just need probbaly more CUSTOM fabrication... live bull/cow covering on the interior of the boat on the PBR boat. for the marines boat maybe interior made of neoprene. I dont know if this would work though but im not a custom boat builder..LOL

Riverkid
11-20-2005, 06:17 PM
I know, believe me, I've recieved more than enough phone calls about the 85+ MPH speed of the 28 Stealth last week.
I bet Wilkes got more calls... :p
Don't sweat the small stuff. Anybody who takes TV for gospel, well...
It's supposed to be entertainment, kids. :)

boatslayer
11-20-2005, 06:24 PM
hmm :rolleyes: erica is hot :cool: :2purples:

Forkin' Crazy
11-20-2005, 06:25 PM
I thought it was a cool show!! Beats the shit out of the chopper shows... well they have gotten old... :rolleyes:
Boats are #1 on my love list and scooters are further on down. :cool:

Forkin' Crazy
11-20-2005, 06:26 PM
hmm :rolleyes: erica is hot :cool: :2purples:
Ain't no doubt about that!!! :D

Mandelon
11-20-2005, 06:34 PM
I thought that 85 mph was reeeeeeeeaaaaaaallllllly impressive with stock power. :cool:

MOBrien
11-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Don't know you John....but the show is funny as hell IMO. So the show portrays your crew as a bunch of slacking misfits...so freaking what. Everyone knows you guys put out kick-ass boats. And BTW, what a sweet ride you guys put together for that soldier. Dude must've been so stoked to climb aboard knowing the lengths you and your crew went to in making it a very personalized piece. Well done. Can't wait to see more episodes. Thank goodness for the Tivo season pass.
Keep up the good work. Hopefully one day I'll be paying your shop a visit for one of the 25 decks or a Shadow.........
Late,
MOB

jbtrailerjim
11-20-2005, 06:39 PM
I can't see anything bad about the exposure Ultra is getting from this show. Anybody that is interested in the boating scene, can see how awesome the end product is after the build is complete. Great show and great exposure for Ultra Boats. :cool:

GrapeApe
11-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Steve.. Faith looks like she Loves the Camera.... Beautiful Girl... :D
You almost had me in Tears.... :cry:
*** Grape Ape ***

Taylorman
11-20-2005, 07:18 PM
The image your getting on tv shows all your employees as slackers. Some would say this could be detrimental to your business. However, if i were looking for the caliber boat you build, i most likely would have heard of Ultra prior to seeing the show and would already know what a top notch product you build. That being said, i doubt this show will have a negative effect on your image. If anything you'll find some new clients cause of the show. On last thing, your wife is hard core and your assistant is hot. Does Travis really have a hard on for your assistant?

olbiezer
11-20-2005, 07:19 PM
does this show come on the dish network or just direct? if it is on dish what number channel is it? thanks

Taylorman
11-20-2005, 07:30 PM
John, does a layer of gel really cost 30 grand on that nascar boat?

NashvilleBound
11-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Ok...I have to chime in here...Travis cant possibly be this stupid. What a dork.

boatslayer
11-20-2005, 07:37 PM
dang travis is a dork , that chick was hot :220v: ,

76ANTHONY
11-20-2005, 08:08 PM
one things for sure, this show isnt the internet so it cant be true. travis, is he really that dorky? and your wife seems like shes gonna kick you a$$ in about two of those sences, pretty funny show. i really think they should have less control over what goes on, and you should be more in control.. very nice boat, i saw it when you first posted it, but watching it being built is awsome. i think its a great show all in all. i watch it every sunday... it like to come down there and check that shop out, seems like fun....

76ANTHONY
11-20-2005, 08:12 PM
well john, one thing for sure is that the show keeps getting better and better. thats a plus in my book. when do the dvd's come out.??

slink
11-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Overall I liked this episode.[/QUOTE]
Except for drilling through the tanks :hammerhea

roln 20s
11-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Great episode- best yet in my opinion. I think they spent 5 minutes too long at the Nascar event for the signings, but everything else was great. Great little segment with you and Leah and Steve, his wife and Faith!! That trailer really was bad ass (I liked the Extreme tour as well), along with that Boat Bling cover. The only thing I wish they would have shown is the gunwalls (all stainless?). Those are real trick and deserve air time.
John- any new updates? Maybe mid week? :) :D

Garrddogg
11-20-2005, 08:19 PM
So John what the mph on the 28?

ULTRA28
11-20-2005, 08:22 PM
So John what the mph on the 28?
68 on a good day with a 496 Mag HO. The 27 Shadow does about 75 with an HO

Mohave Vice
Little to heavy on the NASCAR signing. Xlnt show. BTW .......... who is the "sound guy" ? Can't believe a "leaky" fuel tank!!

Garrddogg
68 on a good day with a 496 Mag HO.
kool

RiverToysJas
11-20-2005, 08:27 PM
I thought that 85 mph was reeeeeeeeaaaaaaallllllly impressive with stock power. :cool:
I think that's what THOR's 247 did with a 32" prop.....just ask him! LOL ;) :D
RTJas :D

boatslayer
11-20-2005, 08:28 PM
haha um i relized me and john have pritty close to the same style

Forkin' Crazy
11-20-2005, 08:33 PM
does this show come on the dish network or just direct? if it is on dish what number channel is it? thanks
I got it on cable, so I figured it would be on dish... Outdoor Life Network (http://www.olntv.com/).
Great show!! :D Awesome boat too!!
Who drilled holes in the fuel tank? :220v:
Hey, I've seen 'em drill holes through the bottom before... once all the way through with screws into the bunks.... and they could figure out why it wouldn't come off the trailer!!! :crossx:

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2005, 08:40 PM
I just got done rerigging a old Haskell day cruiser, the seats were getting recovered and the guy installed them with door hinges and 3" deck screws. He calls me from the ramp and says the boat is stuck on the trailer. All I could do was laugh at him when I got there.

SOUNDBOY1
11-20-2005, 09:17 PM
First off, no one screwed through the gas tank. You and I both know that John.
Since you so kindly refered to me as a sound bitch let me tell all your "buddies" who you really are.
I had a six month contract with John that ended on Oct. 11th 2005 to install audio systems in his boats. After the six months were up Jason and I were offered better jobs by another shop. When I say better I mean pay was doubled and benefits. I told John and he said he could not afford that and said we should take the job. We had'nt yet decided what we were going to do but the production company solved that. One night they set up a huge fight between me and john and his wife. His wife started talking crap about the job offer and was saying no one would pay me that so I quit and I am now VERY happy at my new job. Jason also quit and is now working at the same shop with me. Nobody was fired, we quit because you could not afford us John.
My new job is great, I have benefits and a paycheck I don't have to beg for every week. They even do this crazy thing called taxes and they take them out of my check so later on down the road the IRS does'nt get mad. John you should try that sometime. As far as the production company goes, now that I've seen a REAL production company work on our new show, I realize what a joke they were. They told us John needed to pay us more because they don't pay anybody on the show and that is common. NOT REALLY, the production company we are working with now sure as hell pays, I guess they were just too cheap.
All in all I know most of you will just bash me and talk crap and thats fine because I know your friends with John. I'm just not about to have someone say that any work I did made that vehicle dangerous. That is a slap on my career and livelyhood and if it is enough to be considered slander than I will sue. Not because I need the money but because there were a hundred different ways to go about my leaving the show but to attack my work is just uncalled for.
I have to say that my time with Ultra and the "ULTRA FAMILY" was the worst time of my life and I look forward to never seeing them again.
Cabe Sipes

cxr133
11-20-2005, 09:25 PM
OMG :mad:

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Kingman Here We Come !!!!

76ANTHONY
11-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Since you so kindly refered to me as a sound bitch let me tell all your "buddies" who you really are.
I had a six month contract with John that ended on Oct. 11th 2005 to install audio systems in his boats. After the six months were up Jason and I were offered better jobs by another shop. When I say better I mean pay was doubled and benefits. I told John and he said he could not afford that and said we should take the job. We had'nt yet decided what we were going to do but the production company solved that. One night they set up a huge fight between me and john and his wife. His wife started talking crap about the job offer and was saying no one would pay me that so I quit and I am now VERY happy at my new job. Jason also quit and is now working at the same shop with me. Nobody was fired, we quit because you could not afford us John.
My new job is great, I have benefits and a paycheck I don't have to beg for every week. They even do this crazy thing called taxes and they take them out of my check so later on down the road the IRS does'nt get mad. John you should try that sometime. As far as the production company goes, now that I've seen a REAL production company work on our new show, I realize what a joke they were. They told us John needed to pay us more because they don't pay anybody on the show and that is common. NOT REALLY, the production company we are working with now sure as hell pays, I guess they were just too cheap.
All in all I know most of you will just bash me and talk crap and thats fine because I know your friends with John. I'm just not about to have someone say that any work I did made that vehicle dangerous. That is a slap on my career and livelyhood and if it is enough to be considered slander than I will sue. Not because I need the money but because there were a hundred different ways to go about my leaving the show but to attack my work is just uncalled for.
I have to say that my time with Ultra and the "ULTRA FAMILY" was the worst time of my life and I look forward to never seeing them again.
Cabe Sipes
WOW, i dont even know what to say. i kinda liked you sound guys..hmmm

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2005, 09:32 PM
how can we screw through the gas tanks, if there isnt any stereo equiptment near the gas tanks???? you sure you didnt have a bad seam in the gas tank????
I would say anything is possible, did you see the tanks after the show???

UltraSounds
11-20-2005, 09:32 PM
how can we screw through the gas tanks, if there isnt any stereo equiptment near the gas tanks???? you sure you didnt have a bad seam in the gas tank????

UltraSounds
11-20-2005, 09:34 PM
I would say anything is possible, did you see the tanks after the show???no John told us himself, that there was a bad seam---funny how they are on the driver side of the boat, but the stereo equiptment is nowhere near the drivers side---its all opposite the driver :D ;)

76ANTHONY
11-20-2005, 09:36 PM
no John told us himself, that there was a bad seam---funny how they are on the driver side of the boat, but the stereo equiptment is nowhere near the drivers side---its all opposite the driver :D ;)
hmmmmmmm :idea: what is goin on?

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2005, 09:37 PM
no John told us himself, that there was a bad seam---funny how they are on the driver side of the boat, but the stereo equiptment is nowhere near the drivers side---its all opposite the driver :D ;)
It is a show, they have to have contraversy. Just like this thread will have 10K views, or close, by the end of the week.

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Which sound guy are we talking to ???

76ANTHONY
11-20-2005, 09:39 PM
i think they are both here

76ANTHONY
11-20-2005, 09:43 PM
correction, i think they where both here :D

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2005, 09:45 PM
correction, i think they where both here :D
Well then, I want to say that was uncool that you took the Dorks pick-up apart when work should have been getting done. And you were lucky they had an I/O instead of a Jet on the PBR boat. That would have been fun paybacks.

76ANTHONY
11-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Well then, I want to say that was uncool that you took the Dorks pick-up apart when work should have been getting done. And you were lucky they had an I/O instead of a Jet on the PBR boat. That would have been fun paybacks.
i agree, a jet would have been a hell of alot funnier though :D :D

TRG
11-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Stereo installers have always been way too hung up on themselves(IMO), come to think of it, kinda like gel coaters as well,bottom line, arrogance in the workplace is not needed,...leave it for the sandbar or kokamos, or one of those clubs down at the beach @ anywhere USA!
John, i really dig on the show, now there is something to do on a sunday night!
Thanks
P.S. Nice "SICK" touch, going with the corse silver flake 1/8" pinline around the nascar logo on the side, really liked the 23' deckboat this last summer up at inland (also with the pinlines in silver flake)!
Todd :crossx:

ULTRA28
11-20-2005, 09:54 PM
I said there would be something in this episode that would piss people off. I have no control over what goes into the show.
Cabe, the bitch comment started after last weeks episode, when someone asked if you ever paid your bet, which you didn't. So yes, you are a bitch.
You always got your pay, every week that you showed up, I would say every week you worked, but you did such little work and still got paid, so I'll stick to the term showed up.
We were supposedly partners in Ultra Sounds, though I was the only one investing any money into it, so I wouldn't take out taxes, you were drawing from the company each time you submitted an invoice. Thing is, Ultra Sounds never made a profit, because you two spent all your time screwing around. Jason was actually a pretty good guy, he managed to keep getting the work done while you stood back and took the credit. Not only did I never take any money from Ultra Sounds, but I had to keep putting more money into it each week just to make sure you two made the minumum amount each week that we agreed on before you moved out here. I honored our agreement and kept you for the six months. Now your bitter because TV didn't make you look so good after all.

roln 20s
11-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Cabe Sipes
Hey Cabe-- you and Jason were very funny and have done some amazing installs. The key concept here is 'reality TV.' They have to make it interesting and we all know how TV producers are. I think the show is good- its entertaining and shows different aspects of the custom boat world each episode. John is very much appreciated and liked in the boating world--I'm a huge fan of John, Ultra and 'Rock the Boat.' I'm sorry you had a bad experience and wish you the best in your new shop--regardless of how bad you and Jason had it--everything could always be worse. Just be happy you get to do what you love-stereos.
Welcome to ***boat and get ready for tons of Private Messages :)

76ANTHONY
11-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Hey Cabe-- you and Jason were very funny and have done some amazing installs. The key concept here is 'reality TV.' They have to make it interesting and we all know how TV producers are. I think the show is good- its entertaining and shows different aspects of the custom boat world each episode. John is very much appreciated and liked in the boating world--I'm a huge fan of John, Ultra and 'Rock the Boat.' I'm sorry you had a bad experience and wish you the best in your new shop--regardless of how bad you and Jason had it--everything could always be worse. Just be happy you get to do what you love-stereos.
Welcome to ***boat and get ready for tons of Private Messages :)
dam, that was said so well i dont know what to say. great way to put it, yup that about covers it.

TRG
11-20-2005, 09:58 PM
Jim, I think soundboy is that one kat that has the RAD frosted 80's "english beat" hair do,... i spent some time in Indiana this past summer and everyone there had the same hair do, it was kinda cool (in the 80's) but i really did not dig on the 80's music so i cant say that i had much feeling for the cut!...Ya Dig?
Onec again,...Todd

SOUNDBOY1
11-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Welcome to ***boat and get ready for tons of Private Messages :) Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated. But when John did his voice overs saying, "The soundboys screwed a hole in the gas tank". That wasn't movie magic or something John did not have control of . When he was saying it he knew it was a lie and could have chose not to say it.

Jordy
11-20-2005, 10:02 PM
That is a slap on my career and livelyhood and if it is enough to be considered slander than I will sue.
I know a few GREAT attorneys on the board who are out of Kingman. The first one might just be busy incriminating her investigation, but you might catch her on a slow day, but only between bingo league and the bowl-a-palloza. ;)

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Well its on for me now, so I will give my eval in an hour !!!

SOUNDBOY1
11-20-2005, 10:09 PM
I said there would be something in this episode that would piss people off. I have no control over what goes into the show.
Cabe, the bitch comment started after last weeks episode, when someone asked if you ever paid your bet, which you didn't. So yes, you are a bitch.
You always got your pay, every week that you showed up, I would say every week you worked, but you did such little work and still got paid, so I'll stick to the term showed up.
We were supposedly partners in Ultra Sounds, though I was the only one investing any money into it, so I wouldn't take out taxes, you were drawing from the company each time you submitted an invoice. Thing is, Ultra Sounds never made a profit, because you two spent all your time screwing around. Jason was actually a pretty good guy, he managed to keep getting the work done while you stood back and took the credit. Not only did I never take any money from Ultra Sounds, but I had to keep putting more money into it each week just to make sure you two made the minumum amount each week that we agreed on before you moved out here. I honored our agreement and kept you for the six months. Now your bitter because TV didn't make you look so good after all.
I believe when your wife called me a bitch in the episode you hear me say she is not getting paid.
I'm not bitter at all about the show. I am bitter that someone from your camp likes to call the network we are now working with and loves to tell stories and lies like you wouldn't believe. You know who I'm talking about, so I am not the one that started anything. I walked away and you have not heard from me till now, I can't say the same for your side though.......so who exactly is bitter. We should talk sometime and compare notes about the lies that were told, you and your wife weren't spaired.

ULTRA28
11-20-2005, 10:13 PM
My camp? Meaning someone from Ultra? Or are you talking about the production company?

76ANTHONY
11-20-2005, 10:14 PM
sounds to me like you guys need to talk face to face, just a thought.

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2005, 10:20 PM
John, you are, you and your wife are great people, that was totally the coolest, I think her name was Faith. Wow !!!

SOUNDBOY1
11-20-2005, 10:23 PM
My camp? Meaning someone from Ultra? Or are you talking about the production company?Production.

voodoomedman
11-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Wowsers! You do have to take TV for what it's worth. I am a huge Ultra I will admit right off.
But Soundboys. Your end product turned out very nice but you were the only ones that were shown purposely throwing stereos around and dropping them and basically screwing around all the freaking time. Yes the upholstery shop takes there sweet time and I know that first hand but I didn't see them purposely damaging product. Like I said it's TV and you have to take it for what it's worth but..... Basically let me put it this way. If I'm walking through one of my facilities and I see someone purposely damaging a parcel they are going to be in big trouble.

Speedwagon
11-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated. But when John did his voice overs saying, "The soundboys screwed a hole in the gas tank". That wasn't movie magic or something John did not have control of . When he was saying it he knew it was a lie and could have chose not to say it.
Well, if we want to get technical, *I* installed the stereo in that boat. I didn't do the TVs or the playstation, but I did do the amps and HU. So it really wouldn't be possible for the 2 "sound boys" to have screwed into the tank at all.
I wish I had OLN, so I could have at least watched the episode.

76ANTHONY
11-20-2005, 10:27 PM
sounds to me like you guys need to talk face to face, just a thought
did i already say this?? :D

boatslayer
11-20-2005, 10:28 PM
i thought it was kind of funny how they liked to tell john how to run his buisness , john has been doing this for a long time and he builds a bitchen boat, and john's boats have been featured on many hot boat covers , seems to me john is doing just fine running his buisness

Magic34
11-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Soundboys,
I know there are 2 sides to every story and the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I'm sure that is the case here.
But what the hell was up with adding your worthless signatures to a boat heading to charity? The signatures that the drivers added on the boat brought value to it and made the cause genuine. Charity was the intention from the beginning (at least what the show portrayed) and even bringing Faith into it helped prove that point.
To me, that sticks in my mind more as hurting your reputation, than a screw through the tank.

voodoomedman
11-20-2005, 10:30 PM
So John you get new guys or is everything going back to Advance Audio????

Speedwagon
11-20-2005, 10:37 PM
So John you get new guys or is everything going back to Advance Audio????
I'm the new guy. :2purples: :hammerhea
We'll see how things unfold(that's more a reference to the prod. crew). So far, so good though.

UltraSounds
11-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Well, if we want to get technical, *I* installed the stereo in that boat. I didn't do the TVs or the playstation, but I did do the amps and HU. So it really wouldn't be possible for the 2 "sound boys" to have screwed into the tank at all.
I wish I had OLN, so I could have at least watched the episode.
thanks mitchell, soooooo how is it we get fired on the next episode, yet i worked there past the time that the production company left??? :D ;) hmmmmm and im the one that has the 80's doo, i have to hide my gray hair somehow ;)

WetWillie
11-20-2005, 10:42 PM
What shop?

Magic34
11-20-2005, 10:45 PM
What shop?
Why, you have a gas leak? :crossx:

SOUNDBOY1
11-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Soundboys,
I know there are 2 sides to every story and the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I'm sure that is the case here.
But what the hell was up with adding your worthless signatures to a boat heading to charity? The signatures that the drivers added on the boat brought value to it and made the cause genuine. Charity was the intention from the beginning (at least what the show portrayed) and even bringing Faith into it helped prove that point.
To me, that sticks in my mind more as hurting your reputation, than a screw through the tank.actually, it was done as a joke and it wiped right off, actually John thought it was funny and got a good chuckle out of it, but you wouldnt know that because of the production company

WetWillie
11-20-2005, 10:47 PM
I need some Vizualogic tvs in my tow truck.. :)
Shouldnt you be motivating someone?

MOBrien
11-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Soundboys,
But what the hell was up with adding your worthless signatures to a boat heading to charity? The signatures that the drivers added on the boat brought value to it..........
I was thinking the same freaking thing. WTF Toolbags. I certainly hope those were dry erase markers and that was just a joke that could be wiped away. If not and you focked up that bitchen gel, you guys are toolbags for sure and John's better off without you two yahoos.
I got an idea. Get off the site and...... :mad:

SOUNDBOY1
11-20-2005, 10:48 PM
What shop? Galpin Auto Sports Van Nuys, CA

WetWillie
11-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Tell us how you really feel.. They mentioned it was a joke and wiped off..
I was thinking the same freaking thing. WTF Toolbags. I certainly hope those were dry erase markers and that was just a joke that could be wiped away. If not and you focked up that bitchen gel, you guys are toolbags for sure and John's better off without you two yahoos.

Magic34
11-20-2005, 10:50 PM
actually, it was done as a joke and it wiped right off, actually John thought it was funny and got a good chuckle out of it, but you wouldnt know that because of the production company
That's fair to know that now on here, but doesn't look good to the other viewers out there.

MOBrien
11-20-2005, 10:50 PM
awe fock. got me. I type reeeeaaaallllyyyyy sslllllooooooowwww. My bad. I'm a DA. :boxed:

MOBrien
11-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Tell us how you really feel.. They mentioned it was a joke and wiped off..
Hey, so your prev 29'er is up in NorCal nowadays I hear????? What's next?

Magic34
11-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Umm, so that's my point. Now when this thing goes to auction, the Nascar nuts will think that the value is less because the names are on it.
We (***boat swinger crowd, all of them, not me) now know that it is a joke, well the ones reading this thread word for word do, but I think many people feel the same way.
Those actions, even if the production company did sh*t job of editing, will hurt this auction.

SOUNDBOY1
11-20-2005, 10:53 PM
awe fock. got me. I type reeeeaaaallllyyyyy sslllllooooooowwww. My bad. I'm a DA. :boxed:
no hard feelings

Magic34
11-20-2005, 10:54 PM
I need some Vizualogic tvs in my tow truck.. :)
Shouldnt you be motivating someone?
Yeah, motivating you to get my prices on product!!! Check your email.

WetWillie
11-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Maybe a sick 26 for the lower river. The 5hr drive is a killer for my family!
But if Magic34 gets the family helocopter back I can have him pick me up!

Forkin' Crazy
11-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Daaayum! Sorry to bring the screws in the tank thing up... but some one had to...???:D
Hey shit happens, what ever happened. I enjoyed the show and it beats the hell out of the scooter shows.... BOATS, HELL YEA!!!!! :cool:

MOBrien
11-20-2005, 10:57 PM
is this boat up for auction right now? if not yet, when does it go?
oh and, shouldn't a boat themed around Nascar be able to run 196mph all day like a cup car? :rollside: j/k...like I said, I'm a DA. :boxed:

RealityBoatCo
11-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Sound Boys, the wife told me to tell you she was gonna miss you guys being on the show.
And from me good luck on the new job.

MOBrien
11-20-2005, 10:59 PM
whatever you do, I'm sure it'll be sick. That 29'er sure is sweet. Must've been hard to let her go. Stayin with a car-boat or you going wackers?

SOUNDBOY1
11-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Umm, so that's my point. Now when this thing goes to auction, the Nascar nuts will think that the value is less because the names are on it.
We (***boat swinger crowd, all of them, not me) now know that it is a joke, well the ones reading this thread word for word do, but I think many people feel the same way.
Those actions, even if the production company did sh*t job of editing, will hurt this auction.
it was definitely a production oops, not us. we did that way before anyone else had even seen the boat. the production company supplied the markers and tested it first. if they were smart, they would have shown travis wiping them off, the production company must not be too worried about the auction

SOUNDBOY1
11-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Sound Boys, the wife told me to tell you she was gonna miss you guys being on the show.
And from me good luck on the new job. Tell the wife I said thanks, and everything is going great at the new job!

WetWillie
11-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Sounds like you guys need to have a face to face meeting. John sounds like a real stand up guy! I own a business as well and to take care of someone while they have a family member in the hospital is a pretty large thing to do. Sounds like John had good intentions on bringing you guys in. I assume you guys were in it as well as you wouldnt move here for nothing. So you guys moved on and sounds like everyone is ok with it.
John I have to say. He does have a point. The voice over recordings had to be done by you and I asume what you had a idea what they planned to use those for. That to me seems wrong!
But since non of us were there its just an oppinion form the outside looking in..
Like the show though!

Magic34
it was definitely a production oops, not us. we did that way before anyone else had even seen the boat. the production company supplied the markers and tested it first. if they were smart, they would have shown travis wiping them off, the production company must not be too worried about the auction
That's BS. They really should have shown it being wiped off. That will cause less people to bid. Now what that number is, who knows.
Good to know that it was a thought out prank at least.

H20 Toie
They probably couldn't care less about the auction, they already have what they needed. if the boat sells for 15k or 150k it doesn't matter since the money is suppose to go to Victory Junction

Magic34
11-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Keep waiting, be there to pick you up real soon, just keep waiting.
Get the 26 so you can do some real boating.... In Yuma. :yuk: :D

Forkin' Crazy
11-20-2005, 11:09 PM
That's BS. They really should have shown it being wiped off. That will cause less people to bid. Now what that number is, who knows.
Pleeeeeezzze. You neva heard of Hollywood? Damn, if if believed everything I saw..... :rolleyes:

WetWillie
11-20-2005, 11:10 PM
When watching the spoofs at the end that they were just that spoofs. It kind of like the mistakes they show at the end of seinfeld...
There mistakes or jokes Mr Yanke :) ...

Magic34
11-20-2005, 11:11 PM
When watching the spoofs at the end that they were just that spoofs. It kind of like the mistakes they show at the end of seinfeld...
Don't you have a Rhino to dump another $10k in? By the way, only 3 days left.

WetWillie
11-20-2005, 11:12 PM
He lives in Pheonix its like a cave!! He believes everything he sees. Does not get off his cell phone much!
Pleeeeeezzze. You neva heard of Hollywood? Damn, if if believed everything I saw..... :rolleyes:

Magic34
11-20-2005, 11:12 PM
I know but the TV bringing real drama to the boards.... I'd still buy an Ultra.

Magic34
11-20-2005, 11:13 PM
He lives in Pheonix its like a cave!! He believes everything he sees. Does not get off his cell phone much!
I'm out talk to you tomorrow.

WetWillie
11-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Later
I'm out talk to you tomorrow.

weekendwarrior
11-20-2005, 11:28 PM
OLN has given a real opportunity to Ultra Boats to show to the public just how talented and what awesome boat builders they are. It doesn't seem to me that they are using this opportunity to their full benefit. There is way too much b.s. going on... Every episode reads like a bad O.C.C. show. Is it just in the editing or is the “tough guy” ego thing for real with John? It doesn't fit him. John does build a beautiful boat. There is no need for all the screaming and yelling. It would be nice to see more actual boat building without giving away too many of his secrets. I don't want to sound too negative because I do think that the shows have been getting progressively better. I am of the opinion that if a couple of very important changes are made this could be a really cool show!

RealityBoatCo
11-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Well, at least they finally got a show with more build.
Now we need to see more lamination, and installing some bigger motors.

NashvilleBound
11-21-2005, 04:56 AM
Thats what I get for living in TN land...go to bed and West coasters start all the drama.....I dont know what happened with the sound guys....really dont care. Its good to see them go. It makes you wonder how the boats get done so well having all the clowns working there. Where's Mike professionally installing 1000hp? things like that....... Still cant imagine a Nascar boat with stock power. When is the auction for it? A little less drama between the employees, more build, more water time......still a great show.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-21-2005, 07:59 AM
I like the sounds guys. I thought they did some cool stuff and they were entertaining. :rollside:
Of course the production company is gonna show all the drama. We were watching it last night and said Travis cannot be that lame. Obviously they are picking the worst of everyone to make it interesting. Ultra is a top notch builder, I highly doubt he employs morons.
I can't wait to see more episodes. :boxed:

Forkin' Crazy
11-21-2005, 08:41 AM
OLN has given a real opportunity to Ultra Boats to show to the public just how talented and what awesome boat builders they are. It doesn't seem to me that they are using this opportunity to their full benefit. There is way too much b.s. going on... Every episode reads like a bad O.C.C. show. Is it just in the editing or is the “tough guy” ego thing for real with John? It doesn't fit him. John does build a beautiful boat. There is no need for all the screaming and yelling. It would be nice to see more actual boat building without giving away too many of his secrets. I don't want to sound too negative because I do think that the shows have been getting progressively better. I am of the opinion that if a couple of very important changes are made this could be a really cool show!
I couldn't disagree more. What do you think made OCC? It was all the conflict and drama. Other wise it would be pretty boring.
My hats off to them for making a valid attempt. It is too easy for us to criticize.
Awesome what they did for that Veteran. :)

UltraSounds
11-21-2005, 08:43 AM
so John, what really happened with the gas tank???

coolchange
11-21-2005, 08:51 AM
I can't wait for the movie at the end of the series when John and Eminem get together and take a boat ride by themselves. (Oh and a production trailer and crew of 40) They cry about how they are victims of thier own success and hit all the bars (left) on the river. Then they get stopped by the Indian police and have a knife throwing contest at the dirt bar. Then a morning shot all hung over with a song by Eminem and a sunset shot boating off into the horizon... :boxed:
I enjoy the TV SHOW

Rev. Williams
11-21-2005, 09:37 AM
I dont know what happened with the sound guys....really dont care. Its good to see them go. It makes you wonder how the boats get done so well having all the clowns working there. Where's Mike professionally installing 1000hp? things like that....... Still cant imagine a Nascar boat with stock power. When is the auction for it? A little less drama between the employees, more build, more water time......still a great show.
I agree with this 100% !! I personally don't think it's not showing Ultra in a positive way.
I know Ultra puts out one hell of a boat, but the show makes you wonder how many errors and problems are in each one.
If I was new to boats and knew nothing of boat building and which company was doing what, I'd be hesitant buy from Ultra after watching the show.
And ya GOTTA LOVE THEM CHECKERS !! Go ELIMINATOR !! :D :D

UltraSounds
11-21-2005, 09:46 AM
in all honesty. if i were ever to buy a boat, i would buy an Ultra. Having the oppurtunity to work on them and see them built firsthand, i wouldnt hesitate to call them for one. Now, with that being said, i agree that they made the show, show way too much drama, and not enough humor. Honestly it really isnt like that all the time there. But when you work 2 guys for over 30 days straight and put rediculous deadlines on them, what the hell did you think was going to happen??? add that and the lies being told to John and Leah from the production company, and then being flipped to us, no wonder everyone was screaming at each other all the time. All i know is i was running myself ragged for 80-100 hours a week, most of the time i was there, and what do i get for it??? i get blatant lies told about something that never happened.

Magic34
11-21-2005, 09:48 AM
in all honesty. if i were ever to buy a boat, i would buy an Ultra. Having the oppurtunity to work on them and see them built firsthand, i wouldnt hesitate to call them for one. Now, with that being said, i agree that they made the show, show way too much drama, and not enough humor. Honestly it really isnt like that all the time there. But when you work 2 guys for over 30 days straight and put rediculous deadlines on them, what the hell did you think was going to happen??? add that and the lies being told to John and Leah from the production company, and then being flipped to us, no wonder everyone was screaming at each other all the time. All i know is i was running myself ragged for 80-100 hours a week, most of the time i was there, and what do i get for it??? i get blatant lies told about something that never happened.
I did enjoy the install on the invisible boat though. :rollside:

Magic34
11-21-2005, 09:51 AM
so John, what really happened with the gas tank???
The professional boat judger guy from ***boat Performance Evaluations said that there were screws in it. Didn't you watch it? They were the crew of about 30 looking over a boat. 1 guy per foot to evaluate.

GrapeApe
11-21-2005, 09:55 AM
The professional boat judger guy from ***boat Performance Evaluations said that there were screws in it. Didn't you watch it? They were the crew of about 30 looking over a boat. 1 guy per foot to evaluate.
Well,
The ***boat Evaluater Guy also said the Boat went Faster then it really did on the PBR Boat... It sounds like the OLN Production crew have way to much Power, to tell people to Tell "Small Lies"... Thats the only negative that I can see with this show so far...
*** Grape Ape ***

superdave013
11-21-2005, 10:07 AM
sorry but the show is bull shit and makes custom boating look bad.
Well that is just how I see it. I think that show will hurt Ultra more then help it. I have read on a few other forums people saying they will never buy an Ultra due to the show.
Now don't take it that I am slamming Ultra or John. Everyone knows I have been a long time Ultra fan. I've liked Ultra's before John was even running things over there. They are a class act. To bad that show makes EVERY one of them look like total boobs.

Biglue
11-21-2005, 10:12 AM
I think the show is alright. Although I think it could use a little more build and testing (water time). BY doing so I think it would actually show that Ultra does have a serious approach to their boat building. Just keep up the good work John.

JackieV
11-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Okay I haven't read this WHOLE thread. But we got to AZ late last night from Cali.
Which means we missed the show last night. Can someone tell me when we could possibly catch a re-run??? :)

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 10:18 AM
heres my .02$...I dont know you,the sound guys,or anything about ULTRA,Ive heard its a good boat.But the show isnt helping your business.Im a San Diego native and I know you have been here along time,from a outsiders view I really think the show is making the company look bad.I know its reality and theres a bunch of BS the production company wants to air.The only thing I see about ULTRA is chaos,its not a smooth running shop,thats what they are showing us.Would I want to spend 100k on a boat after watching the show??I dont think so.Its fun to watch,I know alot of it is BS,but the only thing Ive seen from watching is bad,arguements,mistakes,guys working all hours,always screwing around,be tough to cut a big check on a boat......I have nothing bad to say about ULTRA,I have no reason too,just watch out,youve built a great rep,and big business,dont let this hurt the business.Also dont argue with soundguys on here.You know how this place is,people only remember bad stuff.Good Luck

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 10:21 AM
I noticed when the drivers were signing the boat,it looked like the surface was scratched up,like it was gonna get clear coat over the names.Then when soundboys signed,it was glossy,so I figured it would wipe right off with some MAGIC34 special sauce!

Brady Bunch
11-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Steve....about time we see your mug on the BooB tube..... Faith looked absolutely adorable.
Let me know when we can come down and ink out the specs on the new 26' deck :eek: :jawdrop: j/k

SOUNDBOY1
11-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Well,
The ***boat Evaluater Guy also said the Boat went Faster then it really did on the PBR Boat... It sounds like the OLN Production crew have way to much Power, to tell people to Tell "Small Lies"... Thats the only negative that I can see with this show so far...
*** Grape Ape ***I agree, I was even more disturbed by that than anything. John saying it is one thing but to have the ***boats evaluator lie does not reflect well on the evaluation team or the magazine. The way I look at it is they are doing a professional evaluation for the public and if they can be persuaded to lie about that than how can you take any of the evaluations and truly believe them. I'm not saying they are all liers but if I did an evaluation for a head unit in Car Audio magazine and flat out lied about a spec on that head unit, I would lose all credibility and so would the magazine. Just as the show reflects poorly on Ultra it did the same for ***boat Magazine.

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 10:31 AM
I agree, I was even more disturbed by that than anything. John saying it is one thing but to have the ***boats evaluator lie does not reflect well on the evaluation team or the magazine. The way I look at it is they are doing a professional evaluation for the public and if they can be persuaded to lie about that than how can you take any of the evaluations and truly believe them. I'm not saying they are all liers but if I did an evaluation for a head unit in Car Audio magazine and flat out lied about a spec on that head unit, I would lose all credibility and so would the magazine. Just as the show reflects poorly on Ultra it did the same for ***boat Magazine.
by the way my deckboat goes 120mph,,since were all lying now :rolleyes:

Magic34
11-21-2005, 10:33 AM
I noticed when the drivers were signing the boat,it looked like the surface was scratched up,like it was gonna get clear coat over the names.Then when soundboys signed,it was glossy,so I figured it would wipe right off with some MAGIC34 special sauce!
I was wondering the same thing. I figured it would remove the Sharpie ink because our products were used to remove the spray paint from that dealer in So Cal that the Eco Terriorists hit. Rememer all those Hummers that were painted, we were the last company they called to try and get the stuff off and it worked. They had already begun the insurance claim process and we saved some serious money for them.

phebus
11-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Run a couple of screws in your fuel tank, and you should be good for at least another 10mph :D

Magic34
11-21-2005, 10:34 AM
, I would lose all credibility and so would the magazine. Just as the show reflects poorly on Ultra it did the same for ***boat Magazine.
***boat has a magazine?????? WTF!!!!

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 10:35 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I figureed it would remove the Sharpie ink because our products were used to remove the spray paint from that dealer in So Cal that the Eco Terriorists hit. Rememer all those Hummers that were painted, we were the last company they called to try and get the stuff off and it worked. They had already begun the insurance claim process and we saved some serious money for them.
jackasses that torched the framed apartment complex in La Jolla,they still havent arrested anyone yet....

Magic34
11-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Damnit, my barge cant get over 100. :hammerhea I have at least 600 HP per side and I don't use the shitter, so it is always empty.

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Run a couple of screws in your fuel tank, and you should be good for at least another 10mph :D
it may smoke alittle though...sell your house yet?

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Damnit, my barge cant get over 100. :hammerhea I have at least 600 HP per side and I don't use the shitter, so it is always empty.
my crap will slow ya down

Magic34
11-21-2005, 10:39 AM
So did they use anything over the names to protect them?

JB in so cal
11-21-2005, 10:40 AM
my crap will slow ya down
Truer words were never spoken. :)

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 10:41 AM
So did they use anything over the names to protect them?
arent they?

Magic34
11-21-2005, 10:43 AM
arent they?
No, actually the wheels are not. So I try and kill the down time on HB until my brain starts working again.

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 10:45 AM
No, actually the wheels are not. So I try and kill the down time on HB until my brain starts working again.
desert season will be over before you know it

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 10:47 AM
my muff money on Vodka,no problems.Remember that saturday we went through the channel,sherrif boat 10 feet behind me,no mufflers,no biggie.Take them off,I cant even here you when I pass :rollside:

Speedwagon
11-21-2005, 10:50 AM
heres my .02$...I dont know you,the sound guys,or anything about ULTRA,Ive heard its a good boat.But the show isnt helping your business.Im a San Diego native and I know you have been here along time,from a outsiders view I really think the show is making the company look bad.I know its reality and theres a bunch of BS the production company wants to air.The only thing I see about ULTRA is chaos,its not a smooth running shop,thats what they are showing us.Would I want to spend 100k on a boat after watching the show??I dont think so.Its fun to watch,I know alot of it is BS,but the only thing Ive seen from watching is bad,arguements,mistakes,guys working all hours,always screwing around,be tough to cut a big check on a boat......I have nothing bad to say about ULTRA,I have no reason too,just watch out,youve built a great rep,and big business,dont let this hurt the business.Also dont argue with soundguys on here.You know how this place is,people only remember bad stuff.Good Luck
Yes and no. With some, it will hurt. But the other side of that, is the people that might hear the name now and want to buy a boat. I'm sure there were plenty of people who said they wouldn't buy a bike from OCC after watching the show, but look how much larger the company is today.
For every person that says it's bunk, I'm sure there are 2 more that are now interested in the boats. There are plenty of people that believe everything on TV. But that doesn't always make them smart enough to think things through, and come to the conclusion that you came to.
TV=fame, fame=want. The masses want whats on TV, regardless of build quality. I doubt that most people would even consider the build quality based on the show.

phebus
11-21-2005, 10:53 AM
it may smoke alittle though...sell your house yet?
Nope, tired of tire kicker's, so took it off the market until after the holiday's. I hate selling stuff, I wish I could take a hit, and just trade it in like a car. People drive me crazy :messedup:

Magic34
11-21-2005, 10:53 AM
desert season will be over before you know it
Actually rolled offline last Friday. Time to get the hitch installed.
Should be picking it up next week I think. I not, 2 weeks from today for sure.
We are heading out Dec 9-11 to Gordons or BC if you want to go. I am part of the HB nonswinger crowd.
I think the following weekend as well.

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Yes and no. With some, it will hurt. But the other side of that, is the people that might hear the name now and want to buy a boat. I'm sure there were plenty of people who said they wouldn't buy a bike from OCC after watching the show, but look how much larger the company is today.
For every person that says it's bunk, I'm sure there are 2 more that are now interested in the boats. There are plenty of people that believe everything on TV. But that doesn't always make them smart enough to think things through, and come to the conclusion that you came to.
TV=fame, fame=want. The masses want whats on TV, regardless of build quality. I doubt that most people would even consider the build quality based on the show.
I would still buy a ULTRA,but I also know most of the show is BS production stuff,Ive only hear good things about John and Ultra.I would just hate to see a TV show hurt a business.The OCC thing for some reason works because its a dad and his sons,its easier for me to relate being a parent

rvrtoy
11-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Steve....about time we see your mug on the BooB tube..... Faith looked absolutely adorable.
Let me know when we can come down and ink out the specs on the new 26' deck :eek: :jawdrop: j/k
We can ink that deal anytime you want! :D :D
Faith is just too stinkin cute. Obviously she gets her looks from her mom. I am just glad that Faith could help to represent all those kids that this boat auction is going to benefit.
My opinion on last nights show... it was BS that the sound guys were made to like like total idiots. Jason is a great installer and has a good work ethic. Cabe is a good fabricator. That is all I am going to comment on that relationship. They are very happy at their new place of employment. They are back to doing what they enjoy. That being said we are also happy that they found employment else where.

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Actually rolled offline last Friday. Time to get the hitch installed.
Should be picking it up next week I think. I not, 2 weeks from today for sure.
We are heading out Dec 9-11 to Gordons or BC if you want to go. I am part of the HB nonswinger crowd.
I think the following weekend as well.
oh forget it then,your wifes hot right???? We will be in havasu the weekend before,not sure if we can pull off a back to back weekend.You never know,I will run it buy my financial advisor

Magic34
11-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Faith is just too stinkin cute. Obviously she gets her looks from her mom. I am just glad that Faith could help to represent all those kids that this boat auction is going to benefit.
My opinion on last nights show... it was BS that the sound guys were made to like like total idiots. Jason is a great installer and has a good work ethic. Cabe is a good fabricator. That is all I am going to comment on that relationship. They are very happy at their new place of employment. They are back to doing what they enjoy. That being said we are also happy that they found employment else where.
The installs shown the soundboys did turned out really good and I was impressed with the work.

Magic34
11-21-2005, 11:02 AM
oh forget it then,your wifes hot right???? We will be in havasu the weekend before,not sure if we can pull off a back to back weekend.You never know,I will run it buy my financial advisor
I cant wait to get on the new quad finally. It will out run my boat and I want to go fast some day. :crossx:

Magic34
11-21-2005, 11:04 AM
oh forget it then,your wifes hot right????
Here, I'll email you a picture of her. Send me one of your wife as well......
HAHAHA just kidding. Not sending a picture. Frickin swinger!

cxr133
11-21-2005, 11:31 AM
PLUS... if the all the drama crap gets the show more famous..
ALL the merchandising licenses.. that will make a ton of $$$

ChumpChange
11-21-2005, 11:51 AM
jackasses that torched the framed apartment complex in La Jolla,they still havent arrested anyone yet....
Actually, they did arrest a guy for the Hummer incident. Two weeks ago, they realized they didn’t have enough evidence on him and the FBI had to make a public written apology to the guy as well as give him $100,000.

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Actually, they did arrest a guy for the Hummer incident. Two weeks ago, they realized they didn’t have enough evidence on him and the FBI had to make a public written apology to the guy as well as give him $100,000.
paid to burn cars,,,nice

dicudmore
11-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Faith is sure cute :D
Glad to see her on the show...Good to see all 3 of ya on there :cool:

abraman1326
11-21-2005, 12:31 PM
You can't judge a book by it's cover. This show is great, and all the drama keeps it interesting. You can't take everything you see at face value. We all know there is drama added, otherwise those that aren't hard core performance boaters like us wouldn't watch, and the show wouldn't make it w/ only our small contigent watching it, although it'd be great to see nothing but Rex Marine and Teague comercials. As far as this slander situation, I'm sitting back w/ my popcorn just laughing. Again, you can't trake everything at face value. I thought last night's episode was great, combined 2 of my favorite things, NASCAR and Ultra. Now, can you please make a WWE boat. A wrestling ring under the bow would be great. Sorry, had to do it. I think the sound guys are funny. Yeah, they show a lot of screwin around, but the finished product is always incredible. You have to have some fun at work, otherwise it'd get way too boreing. I'm in mortgage, and we're always playing jokes on eachother, just makes the office a much more pleasant place to be day in and day out. We seem to spend more time w/ coworkers than w/ our families, so let's have some fun. Now, I wouldn't want my head unit tested for how much abuse it can take, but to each his own. Now John, I do think you've found your catch phrase, "Someone is going to get fired for this," seems to work well. Anyway, love the show, and please keep it up, I'm a huge fan, and laughed my ass off last night, there was some really funny stuff, can't wait till next week...
BRA

dbddbd
11-21-2005, 01:18 PM
ARE YOU SURE? THAT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE PROPER PROCEDURE, IF CIVIL IT'S NOT MUCH IN $ DAMAGES.

ChumpChange
11-21-2005, 02:34 PM
ARE YOU SURE? THAT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE PROPER PROCEDURE, IF CIVIL IT'S NOT MUCH IN $ DAMAGES.
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2005-11-15T220510Z_01_MCC579488_RTRUKOC_0_US-CRIME-ENVIRONMENTALIST.xml&archived=False
By Dan Whitcomb
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The FBI has agreed to pay $100,000 to an environmentalist who sued the agency after he was wrongly arrested in 2003 for fire-bombing or vandalizing 125 sports utility vehicles in the Los Angeles area, attorneys for both sides said on Tuesday.
Josh Connole, 27, was freed and exonerated after four days in jail and a raid on his home by 50 investigators.
"The whole thing was kind of buffoonery (by the FBI)," said Connole's attorney John Burton. Burton said that attorneys for both sides had also agreed that the FBI would send Connole a written apology but that officials at the agency were objecting to the letter.
William Cottrell, 23, an environmental activist who wrote to a newspaper claiming responsibility for the attacks and mocking authorities for arresting the wrong man, was ultimately convicted and sent to prison.
The FBI's Los Angeles bureau referred calls about the case to the U.S. Attorney's Office in Phoenix, which handled the litigation.
Sandy Raynor, a spokeswoman for that office, confirmed the settlement. "The FBI arrested the wrong person but it was a good faith mistake and in the interest of acknowledging that mistake and working with the plaintiffs, the FBI and the U.S. Attorney's office agreed to that settlement," she said.
The SUVs were torched, vandalized and sprayed with slogans such as "Fat, Lazy Americans" and "ELF" -- a reference to the radical environmental group Earth Liberation Front -- at four car dealerships outside Los Angeles in August of 2003, causing more than $2.5 million in damage.
Burton said the FBI quickly focused on a cooperative that Connole belonged to and decided that he resembled a suspect seen on a surveillance tape.
"So they immediately started following him around and then when they arrested him they said, 'You've got some red paint on your pants and we think it matches (the paint used in the attacks)," Burton said. "So they took his pants and flew them back to FBI headquarters for analysis, where it turned out to be catsup."
In the meantime, Burton said, Connole spent four days in jail, often chained to the floor and repeatedly urged by FBI agents to confess.
After Cottrell sent his letter to the Los Angeles Times claiming responsibility, prosecutors ordered the FBI to pursue him as a suspect, Burton said, leading eventually to his arrest and conviction.
Burton said Connole has since moved to Oregon, where he is working at a store.

Riverkid
11-21-2005, 03:31 PM
I know Jim Wilkes pretty well (first met him around 1987), and I have an opinion. I'm about 100% sure they used the stalker gun from the Ultra pointed at another boat making a speed pass. Jimmy looks down at the display and they tape what was shown. Prod company then does the video cut and paste and voila', Ultra gets another 17 mph added to the big end number...
There was nothing to gain for HB or Ultra to have something misleading (performance number on a factory Merc package) on National TV. Think about that. :idea:

ChumpChange
11-21-2005, 03:39 PM
I know Jim Wilkes pretty well (first met him around 1987), and I have an opinion. I'm about 100% sure they used the stalker gun from the Ultra pointed at another boat making a speed pass. Jimmy looks down at the display and they tape what was shown. Prod company then does the video cut and paste and voila', Ultra gets another 17 mph added to the big end number...
There was nothing to gain for HB or Ultra to have something misleading (performance number on a factory Merc package) on National TV. Think about that. :idea:
Especially since John has come on here in the past stating that he will never have a big engine Ultra in performance tests. He likes to just put out stock power so the insurance compananies don't mess with rates just because another boat of the same hull can hit 100.

dicudmore
11-21-2005, 03:44 PM
thats the way I saw that too...they were watching another boat go past and stated a # (85 I think it was??)

Brady Bunch
11-21-2005, 03:50 PM
thats the way I saw that too...they were watching another boat go past and stated a # (85 I think it was??)
Dude, what are you talking about. My 23' Ultra w/ 496 mag doesn't do 85.......WTF! lol

Brady Bunch
11-21-2005, 03:51 PM
and where was BILLET BOY in this episode.....

dicudmore
11-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Dude, what are you talking about. My 23' Ultra w/ 496 mag doesn't do 85.......WTF! lol
it will as soon as you leave the ladies on my boat, then with less weight yours will run the big #'s :cool:

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 03:57 PM
it will as soon as you leave the ladies on my boat, then with less weight yours will run the big #'s :cool:
has no control of these lies???Like I was saying,I dont feel this is doing Ultra any good,sure us HB people will still buy ULtras,but we a very small number in the boating world

Riverkid
11-21-2005, 04:27 PM
From what I have read here, it sure sounds as if the production company has their own agenda & priorities in mind, whether they agree with JW's or not. They are probably burning a few bridges along the way, but are okay with that, too... Not the best partner at this point. Hopefully the show does well and John can then take more control over the content.
I've been involved in the past with the custom boat industry here in SoCA, and I can tell you quite a few shops used to run MUCH more haphazardly in the past than Ultra does now... (even with the fiction).

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 04:29 PM
would hate to see john have his name hurt in anyway over this show,,,it is fun to watch though :)

GrapeApe
11-21-2005, 04:52 PM
John.. Have they given you any idea of how the Ratings are for your Show, compared to other shows they have on the OLN Network?
*** Grape Ape ***

rvrtoy
11-21-2005, 05:42 PM
PLUS... if the all the drama crap gets the show more famous..
ALL the merchandising licenses.. that will make a ton of $$$
This is very true!!
Let me just say this. In my opinion Ultra makes some of the best boats in the custom boats industry. We do our job and we do it well with little to know friction during the normal build process. The production company has a great resume. They have produced some top rated shows for numerous networks and know what the viewers want to see. We have, as a company, taken a position to stand behind our production company and what they feel will get us the ratings we need to have a sustained tv series. They took a chance and put a boating show on tv and we plan on staying on there (ratings willing).

rvrtoy
11-21-2005, 05:44 PM
changing out of his flip flops?? :rolleyes:

Riverkid
11-21-2005, 05:49 PM
This is very true!!
Let me just say this. In my opinion Ultra makes some of the best boats in the custom boats industry. We do our job and we do it well with little to know friction during the normal build process. The production company has a great resume. They have produced some top rated shows for numerous networks and know what the viewers want to see. We have, as a company, taken a position to stand behind our production company and what they feel will get us the ratings we need to have a sustained tv series. They took a chance and put a boating show on tv and we plan on staying on there (ratings willing).
This is pretty much the due diligence expected from JW. This is no shocker to me. If it takes some manufactured drama and other "creative ideas" to sell a show, so be it. I guess most of us on here are the minority in that we would just enjoy a good professional build show. We know what goes into building a boat. It's the millions of other viewers that don't own a boat (or own a Bayliner/SeaDoo), there's a target audience for you...
I'll keep watching. I think it's funny (plus I have a guy named Travis we work with...).

rvrtoy
11-21-2005, 05:51 PM
This is pretty much the due diligence expected from JW. This is no shocker to me. If it takes some manufactured drama and other "creative ideas" to sell a show, so be it. I guess most of us on here are the minority in that we would just enjoy a good professional build show. We know what goes into building a boat. It's the millions of other viewers that don't own a boat (or own a Bayliner/SeaDoo), there's a target audience for you...
I'll keep watching. I think it's funny (plus I have a guy named Travis we work with...).
Thanks.

ROZ
11-21-2005, 06:04 PM
My guess is that he thinks being on tv is overrated ...

Mandelon
11-21-2005, 07:34 PM
A couple dozen more shows and Ultra will not even need to sell boats anymore. OCC and Jesse James make more money selling T shirts to kids than they do selling motorcycles....I sure hope I don't see Ultra T-shirts at Wal-Mart.
Don't sell out like that John, :cool:

weekendwarrior
11-21-2005, 08:24 PM
I couldn't disagree more. What do you think made OCC? It was all the conflict and drama. Other wise it would be pretty boring.
My hats off to them for making a valid attempt. It is too easy for us to criticize.
Awesome what they did for that Veteran. :)
OCC made it big because they were original in what they did. They were all their own character and there were no characters on TV like them at the time. If Ultra wants to make it and sell a bunch of merchandise and have a popular show, he needs to tread his own trail. Following someone elses script in hopes to get what they have won't make Ultra popular, it will just make him look like a follower. Guys like Jesse James and Paul Sr. make sure that they are original. That's what makes them cool.
Hey, whats the deal with all of the fiberglass slag around the lip of the mold? The stuff that they were removing with a file. Do you get that from hand-lamination? I've never seen that before so I thought I would ask.

Squirtin Thunder
11-21-2005, 08:49 PM
It is a show, they have to have contraversy. Just like this thread will have 10K views, or close, by the end of the week.
Wow doing better than I thought 2,989 views !!!

RiverDave
11-23-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm not going to be in anymore of the episodes after the 1st one. I was in process of shutting down my biz shortly after the filming of the 1st episode.
I don't make billet products anymore (other then for myself and a couple of friends in random projects).
I do watch the show though, and I am looking forward to it every week! I hope it becomes a success, and wish the best of luck to the Ultra crew. :) It was definately an experience to be a part of it. :)
RD

RiverDave
11-23-2005, 05:05 PM
changing out of his flip flops?? :rolleyes:
What's wrong with my flip flops? :rollside:
I'm wearing them right now and getting ready to go out and machine some custom billet speedo pick-ups for a friend of mine..
RD :D

Essex502
11-23-2005, 05:15 PM
I think the show does a great disservice to the Ultra family. The show implies that the operature is disorganized and has a bunch of goof-offs building boats. John - I've met you (you may not remember me from the Family Boating Day this past summer) - and you don't come across in person as being so disconnected from what the guys in the shop are doing. Buy a boat with one day in the mold curing? Not a chance and other boaters know better too. This kind of show only appeals to the boating crowd and could they be so stupid to believe the antics shown? I know that Ultra builds great boats though I doubt I'll own one. The show just doesn't portray that viewpoint. It portrays screw-ups and employees that are not professional. This can't be the real situation and it certainly isn't even good comedy.
Can the show or take some control of the content. I have coworkers who are infrequent boaters and they have said the same thing as I am saying here. The drama is contrived and obviously unreal. If I were you John, I'd be greatly embarrased by ANY misrepresentation even if it is the sacred Hot Boat testers. Powerboat testers would have acted so unprofessional as to LIE about the speed. We all new that was a crap number. It hurts Ultra and it hurts Hot Boat.
Too bad...I was looking to watch an interesting show. After watch my new boat being built from the ground up I know realize the work that is involved and the dedication required to build a world class vessel. That is not what I see depicted on "Rock the Boat".
In conclusion, John I think you are a classy guy and build a great boat but lose the connection to this farce.

UltraSounds
11-23-2005, 06:01 PM
It portrays screw-ups and employees that are not professional. This can't be the real situation and it certainly isn't even good comedy.
actually, the production company has a lot to do with the antics involved. But the first episode wasnt comedy??? come on, the screw was classic!!!!! ive never seen John boil as much as he did when he saw it!!!! Now, if you really watch the NASCAR episode, it was actually a nozzle that was leaking at the seam. There are NO SCREWS in that portion of the boat(except the battery boxes, which Mike Harlan in the Rigging Department installed)!!!! It was a fabricated lie so they can fire us on the next episode. Which airs this sunday. And if you thought we goofed off before, wait till you see this one!!!!! :D :rollside:

Hustler
11-23-2005, 07:34 PM
And if you thought we goofed off before, wait till you see this one!!!!! :D :rollside:
And your proud of this? I know that I wont be sending anyone I know to Galpin.

Jordy
11-23-2005, 07:41 PM
What's wrong with my flip flops? :rollside:
I'm wearing them right now and getting ready to go out and machine some custom billet speedo pick-ups for a friend of mine..
RD :D
Those flip flops are DaveSHA approved. ;)
Figured you'd be headed to the river by now. :notam:

UltraSounds
11-23-2005, 07:56 PM
And your proud of this? I know that I wont be sending anyone I know to Galpin. i already said the production company is responsible for the antics---but alas, i see its hard to grasp that around here
its a shame you wont be sending anyone to Galpin, they actually have some really amazing deals here--not to mention one of the core aspects of the new shop is having fun.
Let me see you work for 32 days straight and an average of 12 hours a day and not get paid any more than if you worked 40 hours a week. Think about that first!!
And since when did any quality of my installs become a question???No matter what happened between myself and Ultraboats- there was never a question of my ability or ethics, feel free to ask John personnally about it. Sure John is pissed i left, doesnt mean while i was there i goofed off the whole time. And as a side note, who do you think did all the regular customer boats during the filming?????
so am i proud of goofing off on a TV show??? yes i am :p am i proud of the lies that are going on in the process??? no im not Will that change?? oh yes it will!!!!!

Riverkid
11-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Just my personal observation, but I don't believe you will further your reputation slinging any negative crap here. You'd be best served taking the high road... Good luck. :cool:

Essex502
11-24-2005, 10:07 AM
i already said the production company is responsible for the antics---but alas, i see its hard to grasp that around here
its a shame you wont be sending anyone to Galpin, they actually have some really amazing deals here--not to mention one of the core aspects of the new shop is having fun.
Let me see you work for 32 days straight and an average of 12 hours a day and not get paid any more than if you worked 40 hours a week. Think about that first!!
And since when did any quality of my installs become a question???No matter what happened between myself and Ultraboats- there was never a question of my ability or ethics, feel free to ask John personnally about it. Sure John is pissed i left, doesnt mean while i was there i goofed off the whole time. And as a side note, who do you think did all the regular customer boats during the filming?????
so am i proud of goofing off on a TV show??? yes i am :p am i proud of the lies that are going on in the process??? no im not Will that change?? oh yes it will!!!!!
Your contract is your contract. You are undoubtedly treated as independent contractors and thus it is up to you to work whatever hours you have agreed to. Quit your complaining.
Whether is was the production company or management that "scripted" the unprofessional behavior is immaterial - it still, in mine and all the others I've talked - unprofessional and childish.

cxr133
11-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Can the show or take some control of the content. I have coworkers who are infrequent boaters and they have said the same thing as I am saying here. The drama is contrived and obviously unreal
i thin we all know ultra build a great boat..
BUT IMO.. this drama sells t-shirts and leads to merchandising deals!!!
I still love the show

UltraSounds
11-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Your contract is your contract. You are undoubtedly treated as independent contractors and thus it is up to you to work whatever hours you have agreed to. Quit your complaining.
i dont know what contract your talking about, i had no contract :confused: and ive taken calls about the episode from people in my industry, im not real happy about it----most i can do is post about it, and hopefully there is some sort of retraction in the next episode, if there is, ill shut up--- deal???

Flashover
11-25-2005, 10:09 AM
i dont know what contract your talking about, i had no contract :confused: and ive taken calls about the episode from people in my industry, im not real happy about it----most i can do is post about it, and hopefully there is some sort of retraction in the next episode, if there is, ill shut up--- deal???
Don't you like working on boats better than cars? I know i always did, i hated installing in cars, boats were always easier and more fun..

gqchris
11-25-2005, 10:29 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/gqchris/popcorn_buckets.jpg

Essex502
11-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Everybody works under some contract whether it be a verbal or written contract. You agreed to work for a set price per some unit of measure - by job or by hour. If you didn't get the contract in writing - your fault only. Deal with it on the next stop in life. I don't provide any service or labor without a written contract.

riverroyal
11-25-2005, 07:11 PM
I think the show does a great disservice to the Ultra family. The show implies that the operature is disorganized and has a bunch of goof-offs building boats. John - I've met you (you may not remember me from the Family Boating Day this past summer) - and you don't come across in person as being so disconnected from what the guys in the shop are doing. Buy a boat with one day in the mold curing? Not a chance and other boaters know better too. This kind of show only appeals to the boating crowd and could they be so stupid to believe the antics shown? I know that Ultra builds great boats though I doubt I'll own one. The show just doesn't portray that viewpoint. It portrays screw-ups and employees that are not professional. This can't be the real situation and it certainly isn't even good comedy.
Can the show or take some control of the content. I have coworkers who are infrequent boaters and they have said the same thing as I am saying here. The drama is contrived and obviously unreal. If I were you John, I'd be greatly embarrased by ANY misrepresentation even if it is the sacred Hot Boat testers. Powerboat testers would have acted so unprofessional as to LIE about the speed. We all new that was a crap number. It hurts Ultra and it hurts Hot Boat.
Too bad...I was looking to watch an interesting show. After watch my new boat being built from the ground up I know realize the work that is involved and the dedication required to build a world class vessel. That is not what I see depicted on "Rock the Boat".
In conclusion, John I think you are a classy guy and build a great boat but lose the connection to this farce.
I hate to say I agree ,but i do.

CAPTAIN KEN
11-26-2005, 04:48 AM
Another way to look at the show is to do a comparison with OCC motorcycle show.It's all put on for entertainment and brings them in $$$$'s on merchandise sales.If you notice in the early days of the O.C.C. show the shop,motorhome etc. Compared to the shop/equipment,bus of today.They were on a show the other day talking about how many deals they turn away that don't fit in with their buisness outlook. Wow,what a change. Everybody can afford a T shirt. Can everyone afford a new ULTRA ? I congratulate John on getting the show out of the box and wish him the best of success.Some others haven't been able to get out of the box(http://www.boatingtodaytv.com/searoddertv.asp )and this could put ULTRA into the forefront of recognized boating on T.V.while still building a great boat .
So, buy some ULTRAGEAR and support him. :)

CAPTAIN KEN
11-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Show Times ! :)
http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/view/1352?UserDef=true&catID=79

Essex502
11-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Yawn. it won't be any better.

dicudmore
11-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Yawn. it won't be any better.
I'll watch it and see...
look at the bright side, we might get to see more of Erica :cool:

Jake W2
11-27-2005, 06:46 PM
That link goes to SEARODDER.
So they are going to do a show about sound instals with the soundboys :rolleyes: that ought to be boaring as hell.
I thought big sound systems went out in 1995.I guess the fart can boys like them.
I like the comment about John and Eminm(sp),JessyJames and Kid Rock never looked so stupid (the funny thing is Kid Rock grew up in a upper class house hold and old pics they have of him he looks like Vinilla Ice.Hard core ha ha ha
Dont get me wrong WestCoastChoppers builds the best looking bikes by far if you are in to that stuff.
John I like the show because it has to do with boats.And at least you boats are not stamped out.Good luck I hope you sell a million in Tee shirts.
Jake

JustMVG
11-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Ever notice that Erica's "Model" # is E-169, upper right hand of the screen during the opening sequence.

Throttle
11-27-2005, 07:17 PM
i'm loosin intrest...

Outnumbered
11-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Talked to my bro-in law over the weekend about the show (I don't get it so I have not seen it yet). He knows I boat but did not know I had an Ultra. He was saying how it made the company and the build process look like a joke and he was not sure if he would buy one after seeing the show. It just made me wonder how many people take this stuff at face value. I remember watching Boyd's Hot Rod show a few years back and loosing some respect for the guy and the quality of the cars he builds. I guess even if you know some of the stuff is cooked up Jerry Springer style, you still have that doubt in the back of your mind.
I am going out on a limb since I have not seen the show but I think it sounds too familiar to the other build shows and does not do a great service to Ultra's reputation as a quality boat builder. Maybe good for revenue in the form of royalties but bad for Ultra's reputation.
Someone send me a DVD of the show and maybe after I see it I will change my mind :D

Cas
11-28-2005, 12:31 AM
I watched the first one and doubt I'll be watching another. As Outnumbered and others have pointed out, I think it makes Ultra look like a joke.

Squirtin Thunder
11-28-2005, 12:42 AM
I watched the first one and doubt I'll be watching another. As Outnumbered pointed out, I think it makes Ultra look like a joke.
I thought tonight show was 98% better than any of the others. It also showed that John was not putting up with anymore shit. I like that !!!

Kilrtoy
11-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Come on people You cant be serious....
lets reflect on
OCC
ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPERS
Prior to the show only HARDCORE bike enthusiast knew off them, they were struggling in their garage and there was no waiting list for a motorcycle which they sold at 30K. FAST FORWARD
Everyone knows them now
There bike is 45K and has a ONE YEAR WAIT.
They fight break crap blow stuff up crash vehicles....
Who in their right mind would buy ANYTHING FROM THEM....
Well the line is around the block
ITS CALLED TV.
We as boaters know John or of him.
If he ran his business like his TV show he would be OUT OF BUSINESS.
We know what really goes on, or atleast I think most of you do.
Alot of people who were into the CYCLE crazy will see this and see it as a way to purchase some cool stuff for the entire family.
Give John a Break, I liked it and think it is cool that a sport/way of life we are into is going mainstream
remember
ITS CALLED TV

76ANTHONY
11-28-2005, 07:18 AM
i dont think it has a huge effect on the purchase of an ultra, i knew they made good boats and its tv, they have have ratings to make it work, so i love the show and watch it every week. i do have one question though, what happened with the stereo boat in the water? i guess i missed the part where you guys fixed it, what was it?????and john i still want to take a tour of that shop :D

Magic34
11-28-2005, 08:08 AM
lets reflect on
OCC
ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPERS
Prior to the show only HARDCORE bike enthusiast knew off them, they were struggling in their garage and there was no waiting list for a motorcycle which they sold at 30K. FAST FORWARD
Everyone knows them now
ITS CALLED TV.
Alot of people who were into the CYCLE crazy will see this and see it as a way to purchase some cool stuff for the entire family.
Give John a Break, I liked it and think it is cool that a sport/way of life we are into is going mainstream
remember
ITS CALLED TV
Good post Kilr.

Outnumbered
11-28-2005, 08:58 AM
lets reflect on
OCC
ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPERS
Everyone knows them now
ITS CALLED TV.
remember
ITS CALLED TVSome good point Killr but I think a lot of the success in the past several years that OCC, WCC, Ultra, or any one else that builds quality expensive toys has seen is attributed to timing. It is a product of their reputation as a stand-out in their industry coupled with the consumer's ability to pay big bucks for their stuff. Not just because TV sensationalized their products.
The second point in my statement is the key. Not to sound like a pessimist but I think that there is a huge shift in high-end consumer spending starting to take place right now. No longer can a want-to-be hardcore biker yuppie dad tap the home equity at 5% interest to spring for the $45K OCC bike. We are already seeing demand for high end housing and boats curb. This is just the beginning of what is on the horizon. As Interest rates continue to climb the high-end toys (including vacation homes and boats) are going to get softer and softer in demand.
I'm not bashing JW, he is making a business decision which will likely benefit him. It is a smart move-- merchandise and TV royalties to supplement boat sales income. As someone else pointed out, anyone can buy a hat but not many can afford an Ultra. He is a smart business man, no doubt. Based on what I have read and heard, I just don't think that the show helps his reputation as a quality boat builder. But again, I HAVE NOT SEEN THE SHOW. So I really am probably saying more than I have a right to say.

Magic34
11-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Some good point Killr but I think a lot of the success in the past several years that OCC, WCC, Ultra, or any one else that builds quality expensive toys has seen is attributed to timing. It is a product of their reputation as a stand-out in their industry coupled with the consumer's ability to pay big bucks for their stuff. Not just because TV sensationalized their products.
The second point in my statement is the key. Not to sound like a pessimist but I think that there is a huge shift in high-end consumer spending starting to take place right now. No longer can a want-to-be hardcore biker yuppie dad tap the home equity at 5% interest to spring for the $45K OCC bike. We are already seeing demand for high end housing and boats curb. This is just the beginning of what is on the horizon. As Interest rates continue to climb the high-end toys (including vacation homes and boats) are going to get softer and softer in demand.
I'm not bashing JW, he is making a business decision which will likely benefit him. It is a smart move-- merchandise and TV royalties to supplement boat sales income. As someone else pointed out, anyone can buy a hat but not many can afford an Ultra. He is a smart business man, no doubt. Based on what I have read and heard, I just don't think that the show helps his reputation as a quality boat builder. But again, I HAVE NOT SEEN THE SHOW. So I really am probably saying more than I have a right to say.
Sure a good economy is key in selling toys but the buzz on TV is what will make those who can afford spend on the hot items.
The home equity line is true, but you can finance a boat longer than a motorcycle, so I would think that boat sales would stay stronger than the cycles. Now that is also saying that you are comparing an $80k boat to a $45k cycle.
That rule wouldn't apply to a $20k bike and $80k boat.
One other thing, if finance companies are financing bikes for 15-20 years, this post means absolutely nothing.

Outnumbered
11-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Sure a good economy is key in selling toys but the buzz on TV is what will make those who can afford spend on the hot items.
The home equity line is true, but you can finance a boat longer than a motorcycle, so I would think that boat sales would stay stronger than the cycles. Now that is also saying that you are comparing an $80k boat to a $45k cycle.
That rule wouldn't apply to a $20k bike and $80k boat.
One other thing, if finance companies are financing bikes for 15-20 years, this post means absolutely nothing.
Agreed, but Ultra is selling a new 2006 24' Stealth on e-bay for $55k which is a bad sign. And, unfortunately the PBR boat flopped in the auction with little interest. With that price on the 24', I'm sure they have some 21's for close to $45k.
I'm not familiar with bike financing but I would assume that it would be difficult to finance a bike for more than 6 years. Home equity is very appealing due to the long term and tax break potential. So yes, boats do have that advantage. But boat rates have been going up pretty rapidly also. I think they are somewhere close to HELOC rates without the tax advantage.

Phat Matt
11-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Found it....
Did you guys meter how loud the Arc boat was? That stereo was crazy! What's up with the Image Dynamics boat?

jackpunx
11-28-2005, 11:34 AM
I havnt been able to read the whole thread.. (REALLY LONG)...
I know you guys do lots of custom stuff..
But when are you going to do something with some power?

2Driver
11-28-2005, 11:56 AM
But again, I HAVE NOT SEEN THE SHOW. So I really am probably saying more than I have a right to say.
Let me help you John.....
I am unclear why anyone would want to go into a reality TV show and portray themselves, their family and their family business in such a poor light. If it is only for $ then there's a word for that I suppose.
But, at the end of the day if it is on "the box" this country will no doubt worship it.

riverroyal
11-28-2005, 01:11 PM
lets reflect on
OCC
ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPERS
Everyone knows them now
ITS CALLED TV.
remember
ITS CALLED TV
OCC works because its a DAD and his SONS!!!My guess is the peolple watching OCC have a DAD or a SON!Its something everyone can relate to,Im not buying a chopper but I still watch OCC.I have a boat and about to stop watching ROCK THE BOAT.Im gonna stop watching because maybe John will build a boat I would like to spend some large $$$ money on someday,with all the stupid BS on the show I wouldnt even consider it today,why would I?Theres 6 other builders on the west coast to choose from.Sorry John or anyone else reading this,its just my opinion,Ive only heard positive stuff on Ultra,but watching it seems to hang in my mind longer...

shippingguy
11-28-2005, 01:14 PM
I am unclear why anyone would want to go into a reality TV show and portray themselves, their family and their family business in such a poor light. If it is only for $ then there's a word for that I suppose.
But, at the end of the day if it is on "the box" this country will no doubt worship it.
Let me first say that I agree that there is some stuff on this show that is not needed and seeing more build stuff would be better and if you asked John himself he would agree. For your comment about John's family; Where is he portraying his family in poor light? Say what you want about the show, but do not cross the line when it comes to family. Please explain where his family is being portrayed in poor light? I am a personal friend of the whole family and as far as I have seen the only family members that are on the show are John and Leah, oops and the dogs!!

riverroyal
11-28-2005, 01:14 PM
But, at the end of the day if it is on "the box" this country will no doubt worship it.John is wanting to go big on T shirts and hats,make some cash then sell the business.How often do you see boater wearing Ts or hats that have a different name than the boat they own?How many people will wear a Ultra shirt or hat that dont even own a boat or go to the lakes or river?I just dont see a market for it,but what do I know? :rollside:

riverroyal
11-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Let me first say that I agree that there is some stuff on this show that is not needed and seeing more build stuff would be better and if you asked John himself he would agree. For your comment about John's family; Where is he portraying his family in poor light? Say what you want about the show, but do not cross the line when it comes to family. Please explain where his family is being portrayed in poor light? I am a personal friend of the whole family and as far as I have seen the only family members that are on the show are John and Leah, oops and the dogs!!
the family stuff is portrayed good,I think Leah may be my favorite one to watch,she is great

Outnumbered
11-28-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm not talking about the family stuff, I'm talking about the build process. I try to stay out of the personal stuff.

shippingguy
11-28-2005, 01:19 PM
the family stuff is portrayed good,I think Leah may be my favorite one to watch,she is great
I agree as well. With Leah what you see is what you get and she tells it like it is and there is no phony business with her. She is straight up and does not and will not take s**t!

riverroyal
11-28-2005, 01:23 PM
I agree as well. With Leah what you see is what you get and she tells it like it is and there is no phony business with her. She is straight up and does not and will not take s**t!
maybe I will watch next week :rolleyes:

Mandelon
11-28-2005, 01:44 PM
the "Ultra Gear" button on Ultra's site doesn't seem to work...that's no way to sell a million T-shirts....John???
Ultra sells bigger boats in Russia..
http://www.ultraboats.ru/

2Driver
11-28-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm not talking about the family stuff, I'm talking about the build process. I try to stay out of the personal stuff.
I am as well. I was speaking to the business end of it shippingguy. Certainly their contributions to their staff and charities are admirable to say the least

Essex502
11-28-2005, 06:17 PM
ITS CALLED TV
Bad sit-com is still better. Although, last night's show was somewhat better then any of the other three but still makes Ultra look bad.

http404
11-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Ultra might build good boats but the program doesn't reflect that.
And WTF kind of moron would buy a boat like that ARC speaker barge?
There is a reason they are the first to ever build a "boat" like that. Only a fool would want a boat that weighs as much as a tank and has a built-in self destruct system.

GrapeApe
11-29-2005, 10:04 AM
There is a reason they are the first to ever build a "boat" like that. Only a fool would want a boat that weighs as much as a tank and has a built-in self destruct system.
When I watch the Show, I get the idea that the Boat was being built for ARC Audio to use at Trade Shows, and to Promote there Company & Products.. I doubt they wanted to build it to use every weekend at Havasu as a Performance Boat... All they have to do is Launch the Boat, drive it slowly to the Channel, Bump there stereo, and they have free advertising for there Company.. :D :D
*** Grape Ape ***

shippingguy
11-29-2005, 10:10 AM
When I watch the Show, I get the idea that the Boat was being built for ARC Audio to use at Trade Shows, and to Promote there Company & Products.. I doubt they wanted to build it to use every weekend at Havasu as a Performance Boat... All they have to do is Launch the Boat, drive it slowly to the Channel, Bump there stereo, and they have free advertising for there Company.. :D :D
*** Grape Ape ***
Well said and true.

shippingguy
11-29-2005, 10:16 AM
If you watched the show then you would have known the boat was built for advertisement and was displayed at SEMA. The boat was built for the owner of ARC Audio. If and when you watched the show and paid any attention you would have realized that! I think everybody knows this boat was not being built for speed and offshore racing or even every weekend use!

LaveyOne
11-29-2005, 10:18 AM
ITS CALLED TV
WAIT ... Are you tellin' me they put stuff on TV that isn't real ?!? :cry: ;) :crossx:

superdave013
11-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Is John West planing on selling those HUGE sunglasses on his site? lol
Those things are so big it makes him look like some kind of cartoon monster fly or somethin.
But hey, if he's gonna sell them then I HAVE to have a pair. :D
Oh, hate the show but still watch it. The last one was the best yet. It should get even better now that those sound fags (boys) are off. lol ;)

ULTRA28
11-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Is John West planing on selling those HUGE sunglasses on his site? lol
Those things are so big it makes him look like some kind of cartoon monster fly or somethin.
But hey, if he's gonna sell them then I HAVE to have a pair. :D
Oh, hate the show but still watch it. The last one was the best yet. It should get even better now that those sound fags (boys) are off. lol ;)
I was going to wear my Oakley Pilots, but Kool Mo Dee borrowed them and I never got them back.
I've got a huge head, I need those glasses to cover it. Yeah, we do sell SPY glasses here.
The show is actually very well recieved by the general public. I think the last episode was the best yet. I think future episodes will only get better.
Even if people don't like the show, at least it's something to do with boating on TV that will help promote our industry. The more people we can get involved in this industry, the easier it will be to fight future legislation that might hurt it. There are too many restrictions being placed on things to do with boating and it can only get worse. The ability to fight these things becomes easier with more people involved.
Anybody that would say they won't buy a boat off of me because of the show, really was never interested in a boat from me in the first place. The show doesn't portray our boats as being shitty, just that there are a lot of issues with having employees and having deadlnes. If anybody wants to see these boats, just come to the LA show, they will all be on display. Maybe some of you guys that say you would never by a boat off of me now, can show me what's so shitty about my boats. I'm always open for suggestions.

shippingguy
11-29-2005, 11:37 AM
I was going to wear my Oakley Pilots, but Kool Mo Dee borrowed them and I never got them back.
I've got a huge head, I need those glasses to cover it. Yeah, we do sell SPY glasses here.
The show is actually very well recieved by the general public. I think the last episode was the best yet. I think future episodes will only get better.
Even if people don't like the show, at least it's something to do with boating on TV that will help promote our industry. The more people we can get involved in this industry, the easier it will be to fight future legislation that might hurt it. There are too many restrictions being placed on things to do with boating and it can only get worse. The ability to fight these things becomes easier with more people involved.
Anybody that would say they won't buy a boat off of me because of the show, really was never interested in a boat from me in the first place. The show doesn't portray our boats as being shitty, just that there are a lot of issues with having employees and having deadlnes. If anybody wants to see these boats, just come to the LA show, they will all be on display. Maybe some of you guys that say you would never by a boat off of me now, can show me what's so shitty about my boats. I'm always open for suggestions.
Well said and true. If you listened to what everybody else had to say you would not have the success you do today. There is always going to be jealousy and haters out there!

Kilrtoy
11-29-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm always open for suggestions.
Ok, Can I have one of those shitty boats, I will use it proudly

BarryMac
11-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Bet John would get more then one taker if he was given 'em away... Some people are just lame...

shippingguy
11-29-2005, 11:48 AM
I would give you mine, but I have to sell it because I am building my 4th SHITTY one in four years this winter. I must be an idiot to keep buying these SHITTY things! :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

superdave013
11-29-2005, 11:48 AM
John, I double dog dare you to bust out a pair of Oakley Blades for the show! lol :D
And now that I know those are SPY's I'm gonna get me a pair. And I'm not kidding either! nenner nenner nenner.
Now that you bring up buying boats off you. Well..... I'd never buy one off you. I mean, I'm bigger then you so if that boat fits you it would have to be to small for me. Now if you make the extend O zipper panel like Lifeline does then maybe we could get it to fit.
I could see buying a boat from you though. ;)
Ok, I'm heading out of town in a few. When I get back I'm gonna post some pics of me with my new fly spy's.

Kilrtoy
11-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Bet John would get more then one taker if he was given 'em away... Some people are just lame...
Ok, lets start with the above poster :rolleyes:

jbtrailerjim
11-29-2005, 12:09 PM
I find it funny that so many people are quick to judge John West and his company by this show. I’d be willing to bet that you could make a TV show about any of the custom boat builders and I bet you find all of them have there issues, with build problems, employees, etc. I’m sure none of them are perfect and every boat build is problem free.
For the haters that just want to bash, take Johns advice and check out the boats from the TV show at the L.A. Boat Show. I've seen the Arc Audio boat in person and is definitely a nice built boat. The stereo is way over the top but I also understand it was built as a display boat for Arc Audio.

Magic34
11-29-2005, 12:11 PM
I would buy one in a second. Just add 10' and I'm a customer. :cool:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-29-2005, 12:11 PM
John is wanting to go big on T shirts and hats,make some cash then sell the business.How often do you see boater wearing Ts or hats that have a different name than the boat they own?How many people will wear a Ultra shirt or hat that dont even own a boat or go to the lakes or river?I just dont see a market for it,but what do I know? :rollside:
I have an Ultra tank top but own a Stoker. :)

Outnumbered
11-29-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure if I'm being called a basher or a hater but I just want to make it clear that I have not said anything that resembles hating or bashing. Please re-read my posts if you think otherwise.

http404
11-29-2005, 02:24 PM
*** Grape Ape ***
Yeah you have a point there. It would make a good billboard. A heavy one too.

DEMOMAN
11-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Lets not forget that this show is entertainment, not a documentary on how Ultra builds its boats. Not counting those of us on this website who else really wants to watch a boat being built more than once. Take Extreme Makover Home Editions for example. Its the drama in the families stories and the mad scramble to meet the deadline that has the audience tuning in. Nobody tunes into these types of shows to see someone swing a hammer or turn a wrench.

AirtimeLavey
11-29-2005, 10:01 PM
The show's getting better. I too have concerns about the company's rep., because whether you want to admit it or not, it gets affected. I know, I sell TV advertising, and I can talk all day about how it influences people. The cliche of any publicity is good publicity isn't always the case. The idea is not to lose ANY sales.
OCC had some negs. out of the gate, but they did not have issues like screws in the gas tank, or having a seemlingly incompetent moron work on the bikes. Their shenanigans are what made the show such a huge success, but never impacted the quality of the finished product. That's got to be clear, and pretty much with this show, we see the awesome boats at the end. I just hope you don't get too sloppy during the build, for the sake of entertainment. OCC is also very good at not coming across as contrived. RTB still seems a bit contrived, but that will only get better.
It's a good work in progress, and I hope you continue with great success. As for "selling out", I say cash in and ride the wave while it's hot. As long as YOU MANAGE it well, you never know where you'll end up.
I'd be interesting in hearing what the "ratings" turn out to be, because all we industry peeps see from networks like OLN is "hash-marks" (meaning below .01). That doesn't mean the show's bad, just not on a popular network that's easy to find for most viewers. Curious about the production company, too. I'd like to see the resume. Not sure they've really turned out "hit" shows before - production value could be stronger.
Hats off to you for putting yourself out there, and I'm anxious to see next week's show. Hell, maybe someday, I'll sell some advertising on it (unfortunately, currently not a network we insert commercials on).
Best of luck. Btw, it was great to meet and talk to you at the show last Jan. You're a class act all the way (in spite of how you come across on the show... j/k :cool: )

H2OT TIMES
11-29-2005, 10:43 PM
It would be really interesting to have a couple hidden cameras that show what the production company does, or makes you do, that wouldn't normally be happening, or is just put on for the sake of the show.

Phat Matt
11-30-2005, 12:27 AM
can show me what's so shitty about my boats. I'm always open for suggestions.
You had a big screw sticking out of the deck of one. I saw it with my own two eyes on TV, so it must be true. :p Better work on that QC. :D

UltraSounds
11-30-2005, 10:03 AM
but they did not have issues like screws in the gas tank, or having a seemlingly incompetent moron work on the bikes. Their shenanigans are what made the show such a huge success, but never impacted the quality of the finished product. That's got to be clear, and pretty much with this show, we see the awesome boats at the end. I just hope you don't get too sloppy during the build, for the sake of entertainment. there was never any screws in the gas tank :argue: and believe it or not, Travis isnt a moron at all, he is actually quite smart. let me guess, you believe i got fired on the Arc episode too huh??? ROFLMAO

dicudmore
11-30-2005, 10:29 AM
there was never any screws in the gas tank :argue: and believe it or not, Travis isnt a moron at all, he is actually quite smart. let me guess, you believe i got fired on the Arc episode too huh??? ROFLMAO
didn't you come on and say you left on your own during the show??

AirtimeLavey
11-30-2005, 10:35 AM
there was never any screws in the gas tank :argue: and believe it or not, Travis isnt a moron at all, he is actually quite smart. let me guess, you believe i got fired on the Arc episode too huh??? ROFLMAO
No, I wouldn't think either is the case, but it was the perception given off by the show. And yes, I've been on a couple of shows - one could be called an early version of a reality show. It was complete BS - scripted all the way. I still had to answer to people for years about the mis-perceptions (freak'in thing rerun occassionally for about 3 to 5 years). Wasn't a big deal, but still I was surprised by how it was perceived.
My apologies to Travis. I'm sure he's not a moron, he just plays one on TV. :wink:

AirtimeLavey
11-30-2005, 10:39 AM
You had a big screw sticking out of the deck of one. I saw it with my own two eyes on TV, so it must be true. :p Better work on that QC. :D
Lol....see the power of TV. :D

cxr133
11-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Lets not forget that this show is entertainment, not a documentary on how Ultra builds its boats. Not counting those of us on this website who else really wants to watch a boat being built more than once. Take Extreme Makover Home Editions for example. Its the drama in the families stories and the mad scramble to meet the deadline that has the audience tuning in. Nobody tunes into these types of shows to see someone swing a hammer or turn a wrench.
THIS IS SOOO true... the lady across the street (mendoza family.. blue house they added a second story) had her house done by the Extreme Makover Home Edition team (btw they did finsih in 7 days) and i got to watch the whole process... of tile/drywall/landscape/painters...etc guys working 22-23 hours straight and then i watch it on TV and it did not show any of that stuff.. just the stupid designers patting themselves on the back.

Mandelon
11-30-2005, 10:49 AM
My apologies to Travis. I'm sure he's not a moron, he just plays one on TV. :wink:
LMAO !!!
JW did you get the gear part of your website fixed yet???

AirtimeLavey
11-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Actually, whatever issues you had w/John aside, I thought you guys were funny as hell. A show needs to have some comic relief. :220v:

UltraSounds
11-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Actually, whatever issues you had w/John aside, I thought you guys were funny as hell. A show needs to have some comic relief. :220v:
actually, i never really had any issues with John personnally---i was laughing with him on the phone Sunday night about how they edited the Arc build. And thanks for the comic relief aspect, thats what we were told to be. ;)

UltraSounds
11-30-2005, 01:52 PM
didn't you come on and say you left on your own during the show??yep, actually about 2 weeks ago the production company called me and asked me to come to the studio to film some voiceovers, to make the episode come out right. Oh well, i was upset at first, but im over it, now im just LMAO!!!!! ;)

RiverDave
12-01-2005, 03:44 PM
I disagree with that section of your post John. I think that the reason that alot of these restrictions are being placed on boating is becuase so many people have become involved! That's a two way argument that can go on forever though.. ;)
RD