PDA

View Full Version : So I thought I'd change the spark plugs in my car...

Havasu Hangin'
11-20-2005, 05:20 PM
...because I'm handy like that.
Anyway, the damn thing threw a code when I started it up! So I decide to read up on the computer (because I'm geeky like that):
The Saab Trionic 7 (T7) engine management system in the 9-5 is controlled by a 32-bit microprocessor that is capable of performing two million calculations per second. It monitors and controls the direct ignition, fuel injection, turbo boost pressure and throttle setting to enhance engine performance and eliminate turbo lag. The system continually adjusts the calibrations to maximize engine performance - compensating for a number of variables including fuel quality, altitude and more.
The Saab Trionic 7 system analyses the combustion process by measuring the ionization in each cylinder by means of the spark plugs. A weak current pulse is applied across the electrodes of each spark plug after every working stroke of the piston. The current sent back to the control unit is dependent on the number on ions formed, which provides a measure of the combustion process in each cylinder. The ionization voltage reveals whether the fuel/air mixture has been ignited and burned correctly. If not, the system adjusts automatically. The Saab Trionic system is able to control the fuel flow and the ignition timing of each cylinder individually. This is an accurate way of controlling the engine - far better than using averages of measurements carried out at only one point.
Maybe I messed up an "Ionization Voltage Sensor"? :confused:
Where do I hook up my tach/dwell meter? :notam:

djunkie
11-20-2005, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=Havasu Hangin'
Where do I hook up my tach/dwell meter? :notam:[/QUOTE]
To the muffler hanger sensor. :cool:

SoCalKev
11-20-2005, 06:06 PM
Are you sure you used the right temp. and gap plugs?
With turbo charged motors you want the coldest burning ones =- Denso Iridium Plugs!!!
You can get the code check for free almost anywhere and troubleshoot it easily.
Dissconnect the battery for 40mins and re hook it up and see if it comes on too/

Havasu Hangin'
11-20-2005, 06:41 PM
I went with the (factory recoomended) NGK Iridium and gapped them to .050.
Dissconnect the battery for 40mins and re hook it up and see if it comes on too/
That's what I ended up doing, and the code didn't come back. I guess the T7 needs to re-learn with the new plugs?
If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river...I always say.