PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Experiences

JB in so cal
11-21-2005, 10:47 AM
About a year ago, there was mad hysteria among the group involving what impact the whole noise issue was going to have on us: Tickets, boardings, mass arrests, not being able to boat certain lakes, general mayhem! etc. It got me thinking (yes it hurts when I do that).
1) What issues (if any) did you encounter with your UNMUFFLED boat?
2) If you muffled, did you encounter anything?
I installed in line baffles and I think I'm slower by a few mph. May take them off.
Anyone??

lucky
11-21-2005, 10:52 AM
well - I'm legal now , I don't like it , but the family does

Jbb
11-21-2005, 10:54 AM
mufflers..........................lol.

ChumpChange
11-21-2005, 11:11 AM
I thought about putting the baffles in. Never got around to it. Never had any problems.

Beer-30
11-21-2005, 11:20 AM
My stock HO has above waterline exhaust inside of a molded swimstep chamber and no mufflers. It's kinda boomy as most of you probably know that have the same type of setup. I bought the Gibson strap-ons and they are still brand new in the box. Never installed.
During Labor Day, we were idling through the channel and the LE boat was right behind us. I got a little nervous, but they never even looked twice at us.
Also, I was launching at Windsor and they were floating by the dock. I lit it off and they didn't even look my way.
So, there they sit, next to the motor under the hatch with the wrenches. If I need them, they are there.

wiggler
11-21-2005, 11:32 AM
This was the very reason that I joined the hot boat forum this summer. I was trying to find out if this was an issue or not...anyhow, I decided to go ahead and replace my exhaust tips with baffled exhaust tips...I can now have a conversation in my boat without shouting. My set up is a 496 mag with thru transom exhaust that sits below the waterline at idle. I lost a little bit of hp and mph but the trade off was peace of mind!

ParkerSteve
11-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Havent has the 26' Sleek Enforcer an year yet but desided to install the insert muffler. Didn't want to drive to the lake and be sent home. Noise level is better, can talk, listen to tunes without yellen or blowing speakers. Neighbors in keys approve and so does wife and she still lets me drive her boat..............steve

maxwedge
11-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Mine is so quiet now, that last time I had it out, the dog fell asleep on the seat next to the engine. Of course..that's mostly because it broke and we were being towed :rollside:

dicudmore
11-21-2005, 11:48 AM
About a year ago, there was mad hysteria among the group involving what impact the whole noise issue was going to have on us: Tickets, boardings, mass arrests, not being able to boat certain lakes, general mayhem! etc. It got me thinking (yes it hurts when I do that).
1) What issues (if any) did you encounter with your UNMUFFLED boat?
2) If you muffled, did you encounter anything?
I installed in line baffles and I think I'm slower by a few mph. May take them off.
Anyone??
I was ticketed at Lake Mead unmuffled while idling through Lake Mead marina. Stock 496HO, I was 3db over the limit.
I installed REX mufflers, now pass the DB test. I did lose a few MPH, and a few RPM.

79Challenger
11-21-2005, 11:48 AM
I got nabbed on the river, yes on the river, below parker but above palo verde. He stopped me because I was missing some numbers on one side. After seeing the numbers were all intact on the port side he proceeded to ask if was aware of the "new on water noise ordinance". He explained everything to me, then warned me that "next year, we will be alot tougher".

JB in so cal
11-21-2005, 11:49 AM
I was ticketed at Lake Mead unmuffled while idling through Lake Mead marina. Stock 496HO, I was 3db over the limit.
I installed REX mufflers, now pass the DB test. I did lose a few MPH, and a few RPM.
That's my issue, as well; About 500 rpms. It is quieter, though.

mondorally
11-21-2005, 12:07 PM
I installed the rex mufflers but I can't honestly comment on the performance impact. When I put on the mufflers I also installed new headers (should see higher RPM), rebuilt the blower (again, should see higher RPM), new plugs & wires, but then stepped from a 21 to a 24 pitch prop(much lower RPM).
And to top it off my tach dances around like Napoleon Dynamite at a school election so I couldn't document any change (if there was one to begin with).
So basically I'm of no help whatsoever. But it is definately quieter and I feel better knowing I won't get popped for noise. And I hope it makes any potential interaction withe LE that much smoother.....
Justin

INSman
11-21-2005, 12:10 PM
I think I am going to take mine off when I get everything else dialed in as I am convinced that I am losing some fairly significant RPM/HP/Speed !! :220v:
It is very quite though for twin 600's :rollside:

OnlyMoney
11-21-2005, 12:16 PM
We have had all kinds of the bigger end of motors and always launched at Windsor. Never had a problem (knock on wood), except at Mead it's a national park and they were quick to tell us to put them on. Another reason to have the Vipers. :rollside: They don't make as much noise as some others.
I would recommend having them close at hand. That's what we did. Just hike up to the truck, put them on, and go!!!!

DaveTic
11-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by dicudmore
I spend a lot of time at Mead and launch from Lake Mead Marina. Have a yet to have a problem. I have 950HP and IMCO Gatlin Mufflers. My boat is loud, even with the Gatlin Mufflers I believe it to be louder than when I had the HP500efi w/open exhaust.
Did you do something to piss someone off, maybe somehow bring unwanted attention to yourself, or have I just been lucky.

Biglue
11-21-2005, 01:31 PM
(knock on wood) I have yet to get into any trouble myself. Running a 496HO under a swim step.

dicudmore
11-21-2005, 01:38 PM
I spend a lot of time at Mead and launch from Lake Mead Marina. Have a yet to have a problem. I have 950HP and IMCO Gatlin Mufflers. My boat is loud, even with the Gatlin Mufflers I believe it to be louder than when I had the HP500efi w/open exhaust.
Did you do something to piss someone off, maybe somehow bring unwanted attention to yourself, or have I just been lucky.
I never had a problem there before or after...Just that one day.
It was saturday of memorial weekend 04, he pulled me over idling through the marina. Said hey your boat sounds a little loud...While I was there being cited for it EVERY boat that passed was much louder. Had a couple of them show over 100DB on the meter from more than 100' away

JB in so cal
11-21-2005, 01:39 PM
(knock on wood) I have yet to get into any trouble myself. Running a 496HO under a swim step.
That's the thing. I run with another Deck Boat without mufflers and he hasn't even been looked at by LE. He even had a ranger tell him no idling with someone in the forward/washdown area of his boat - still nothing on his noise levels...

riverroyal
11-21-2005, 01:47 PM
That's the thing. I run with another Deck Boat without mufflers and he hasn't even been looked at by LE. He even had a ranger tell him no idling with someone in the forward/washdown area of his boat - still nothing on his noise levels...
bout me and my loud boat?

my21advantage
11-21-2005, 01:49 PM
I think like many people pointed out before....I think it is a tool for LE to use to contact boaters they see as potential hazards and out of control. I have a Merc 575 Sci and my exhaust are well above water line and I was not contacted once this summer by LE. But I was only on Havasu and I was even there on big weekends like fourth of July.
I also think the politics have alot to do with it. I think the city of Havasu would loss a tremendous amount of money and revenue by enforcing these laws. Look at the big stink that was made about parking in the channel when the began to limit the area that boaters could park at....all the business owners were up in arms.
One of my questions is it a straight fine or a fix it ticket and if so WHO takes the time to test the corrected mufflers (Lake Havasu Marina).
That just my 02.

JB in so cal
11-21-2005, 01:56 PM
bout me and my loud boat?
What makes you think that? Feeling guilty? Law Breaker!

Froggystyle
11-21-2005, 02:08 PM
I bolted on two and they not only reduced the noise by a ton, but they increased horsepower by almost 40% over our previous horsepower rating. Something like 400 horsepower extra.
Great brand. They are called "Turbonetics" and they make almost 10 pounds of boost at around 3600 RPM... ;)
We have Bassani mufflers too, but power is something we can afford to lose a little of for the increase of driveability the mufflers offer.
Plus, it is awesome smoking past loud boats when the only thing audible is the stereo and turbo whine... ;)