PDA

View Full Version : e- mails and zip files

lucky
11-21-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm seeing some jack ass trying different ways to send me zip files ? so beware -
so far i have seen that the fbi has seen my e mail on 30 illigal sites and they want to quiz me -- ,and the other one is my account has been confirmed -- wtf -- :mad:
all you guru's explain what esactly a zip file is capible of doing -

Rexone
11-21-2005, 12:20 PM
so far i have seen that the fbi has seen my e mail on 30 illigal sites and they want to quiz me -- ,and the other one is my account has been confirmed -- wtf -- :mad:
I knew there was something fishy about you the first time I saw your screename. This just confirms my suspecions. :rollside:

lucky
11-21-2005, 12:21 PM
I knew there was something fishy about you the first time I saw your screename. This just confirms my suspecions. :rollside:
fbi = fagish benchracer intraing :argue:

Rexone
11-21-2005, 12:21 PM
It's called spam lucky. Don't open the chit prolly virus laden crapola.
Call the FBI and just turn yourself in now and save the taxpayers a bunch of $ from havin to chase your fradulent ass down.

lucky
11-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Call the FBI and just turn yourself in now and save the taxpayers a bunch of $ from havin to chase your fradulent ass down.
well , my wife she could use a good pop up once in a while ...

lucky
11-21-2005, 12:25 PM
so what your saying is it's a jet boat thread --
way to go 396 and 460--- dam ditch pumpers lmao

BigBlockBaja
11-21-2005, 12:29 PM
so what your saying is it's a jet boat thread --
way to go 396 and 460--- dam ditch pumpers lmao
Here we go!!!! got some hot fresh popcorn here!
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/49105main_popcorn.jpg

LHC30Victory
11-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Lucky (and everyone else):
zip files are executable files just like all the other .exe files that your computer depends on to run. If you give your machine the OK to open a .zip file, you are essentiallly telling the computer to run whatever....
.zip files received in email from unknown or unsolicited persons USUALLY CONGTAIN MALICIOUS CODE!!!!! Dump them right away.

bocco
11-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Actually zip files themselves are not necessarily dangerous. Zip is a compression utility used to compress mutiple files into one smaller file. It's very handy for sending multiple files such as music or pictures. The recipient can simply unzip this file to extract all of the files in it. That being said. It is also very common to send viruses in a zip file that will auto extract and execute itself. So if you do get a zip file as an attachment from someone you don't know it is best to just delete it.
If you are curious check out. http://www.winzip.com/

lucky
11-21-2005, 02:18 PM
thanks for the info --
so if i unzip i may get screwed -- :cry: good to know

DelawareDave
11-21-2005, 03:48 PM
FBI Warns of E-Mail About Surveillance 2 hours, 7 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - The Federal Bureau of Investigation issued an alert Monday about a scam involving unsolicited e-mails, purportedly sent by the FBI, that tell computer users that their Internet surfing is being monitored by the agency.
ADVERTISEMENT
The users are told they have visited illegal Web sites and are instructed to open an attachment to answer questions.
The FBI did not send these e-mails and does not send any other unsolicited e-mails to the public, an agency statement said. As many harmful computer viruses are located in e-mail attachments, the FBI said it strongly encourages computer users not to open attachments from unknown recipients.
The FBI is investigating the scam. Recipients of these e-mails are asked to report them by visiting the Internet Crime Complaint Center at http://www.ic3.gov.
___
On the Net:
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center: http://www.ic3.gov
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051121/ap_on_go_ot/e_mail_scam

FreshTracks
11-21-2005, 05:10 PM
From snopes:
Home --> Computers --> Virus Hoaxes & Realities --> Sober.X (aka 'Illegal Websites')
Sober.X (aka 'Illegal Websites')
Virus: Sober.X (aka "Illegal Websites")
Examples: [Collected on the Internet, 2005]
Dear Sir/Madam,
we have logged your IP-address on more than 30 illegal Websites.
Important:
Please answer our questions!
The list of questions are attached.
Yours faithfully,
Steven Allison
++++ Central Intelligence Agency -CIA-
++++ Office of Public Affairs
++++ Washington, D.C. 20505
++++ phone: (703) 482-0623
++++ 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., US Eastern time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir/Madam,
we have logged your IP-address on more than 30 illegal Websites.
Important:
Please answer our questions!
The list of questions are attached.
Yours faithfully,
Steven Allison
*** Federal Bureau of Investigation -FBI-
*** 935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Room 3220
*** Washington, DC 20535
Origins: Like the earlier Sober.C mass-mailing worm which hit in 2003, this latest version (Sober.X) employs phony warning messages supposedly sent by law enforcement agencies which claim to be tracking illegal Internet activity. In this case, the messages purport to come from a "Steve Allison," an investigator with either the FBI or the CIA, and state that the recipient has visited "more than 30 illegal Websites," presenting him with a "list of questions" he must answer. The whole thing is, of course, a fiction inteded to lure the reader into opening the attached .ZIP file so that the worm can spread to his PC.
Sober.X e-mails are sent out with a variety of subject lines:
hi, ive a new mail address
Mail delivery failed
Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie
Registration Confirmation
smtp mail failed
You visit illegal websites
Your IP was logged
Your Password
Only Microsoft Windows platforms are vulnerable to Sober.X.
Symantec offers removal instructions and updated virus definitions to help combat Sober.X.

lucky
11-22-2005, 07:24 AM
refresh again - if i unzip - a worm comes out ??? :cry: :rolleyes:

riverracerx
11-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Keep your worm zipped up and you won't get in trouble!