PDA

View Full Version : Rail Kit Fab Pics

Taylorman
11-21-2005, 05:11 PM
I started making my rail kit and thought i'd share pics. I got the front plate in and got it mocked up. Im waiting on the rear plate to be finished. Im gonna get some alum angle to mount to the stringers.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/DCP_5947.jpg

cyclone
11-21-2005, 05:49 PM
That there will never fail on ya. How much are you gonna trim off of it? Or are you going to leave it solid?

superdave013
11-21-2005, 06:02 PM
I had to look twice! At the first glance I was thinking how do you do back to back flares that close. Then I notice they are all compression fittings except the blue one.
Looking nice

Taylorman
11-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Im gonna trim it around the fuel pump. I need to figure out what to do about the alternator. Any suggestions. I like the way the plate bolts to the front of the engine over the timing cover. Seems real stong. SD, it is compression. I need to find a t fitting that has compression on the sides and female jic on the single side of the t so i can connect the t valve to the t. I want to eliminate the piece of tubing that connects the t to the t valve. Makes it to long. Do you know if they make such a fitting. I need to check with the store i buy my stainless fittings from. Man my boat is not very photogenic. Looks like shit, but its all dirty since ive been cutting and grinding in it.

Anthony75
11-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Taylorman, Where did you get your Olds motorplates?

sleekcrafter
11-21-2005, 06:37 PM
looking good, your going to have a nice set up!

Taylorman
11-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Taylorman, Where did you get your Olds motorplates?
http://www.rocketracingperformance.com/products/Engine-Trans/motor_plate.htm
I had to get him to make one a little customized for the boat. The water holes are tapped for pipe thread fittings instead of it just being a holes for a water pump. I basically saved his picture of his web sight and photoshopped it and drew it how i wanted it with dimensions.

Taylorman
11-29-2005, 10:09 AM
I need help from someone who has installed a rail kit before. How do you go about getting the engine at the right angles as the pump. I have an angle finder tool, i just need to know how to get the engine set right.

RICHARD TILL
11-29-2005, 12:17 PM
this might help. the crankshaft has got to be perfectly in line with the pumpshaft, horizontal and vertical. heres how i do it; put angle finder on very front of the pumps front bearing housing. jack the front of boat up or down to get it on "0". do the same thing on the motor. (flat machined surface on front or back of block). motor needs to be hanging from a chain. i use 2 inch angle aluminum on inside of stringers. put that flat plate on the outside. dont forget to push the motor connected to the driveshaft backwards as far as it will go into the pump. then pull it forward maybe 1/2 inch for flex.(if you use a plate on the back instead of a bell housing). i saw 2 inches off extra 2 inch angle aluminum for L brackets also. trim the bottom of plate so it wont be touching stringer. i measure everything about 10 times or more, then drill. hope this helps........richard.........

Taylorman
12-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Well heres my progress from yesterday. Im pleased with the way it turned out.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/DCP_5957.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/DCP_5956.jpg

FASTRAT
12-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Well heres my progress from yesterday. Im pleased with the way it turned out.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/DCP_5957.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/DCP_5956.jpg
it looks nice, but i think its a little over-kill!...if the plate is bolted to the block over the timeing chain cover!...how are u gonna get to it...if u break a chain???...how are u gonna support the eng?
fastrat

FLEA DIDDY
12-12-2005, 03:15 PM
it looks nice, but i think its a little over-kill!...if the plate is bolted to the block over the timeing chain cover!...how are u gonna get to it...if u break a chain???...how are u gonna support the eng?
fastratOverkill? LOL, I think jet boats in genral fit into the overkill catagory, eh?, Changin the oil in a jet is more of a pain than gettin to that timeing cover.

bigblockbill
12-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Necessity is the mother of inventions and creations. Looking Good!

BUSBY
12-12-2005, 04:01 PM
You go Kev!
Man ... if that kit lets go ... you'll have bigger problems!
You'll be suprised how much torque transfer you were loosing prior to having motor plates that secure.
you'll feel the launch now! :D

Taylorman
12-12-2005, 04:48 PM
fastrat
Overkill, who me? The 455 has no other bolts on the front of the engine other than the timing cover. To support the engine there is a little invention called a chain hoist. To get to the timing cover the plate just needs to be unbolted, no big deal.
You go Kev!
Man ... if that kit lets go ... you'll have bigger problems!
You'll be suprised how much torque transfer you were loosing prior to having motor plates that secure.
you'll feel the launch now! :D
Really, that was not my reasoning for doing this but if thats true, cool.
My dad was concerned about it being a rigid mount that it would vibrate the hull real bad and possibly crack it. Before i had 3 point mounts with rubber mounts on the block. What cha think?

Ken F
12-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Taylorman,
Having it mounted solid isn't going to hurt a thing. In fact, should help. Think how many lightweight racehulls are mounted that way with WAY more HP.
On lining up your engine, It's not all that critical. I used an indicater off of the back of the crankshaft to the flange on the pump. Just be sure that you don't have your u-joints running exactly straight or they will wear out in nothing flat. They have to have (quoting from memory here) 2-4* angle.
Do a search on Driveline geometry- you will learn more than you ever wanted to know!
Ken F

BUSBY
12-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Really, that was not my reasoning for doing this but if thats true, cool. My dad was concerned about it being a rigid mount that it would vibrate the hull real bad and possibly crack it. Before i had 3 point mounts with rubber mounts on the block. What cha think?
Don't worry about cracking anything ... other than your wallet from paying for more gas because it's so cool.
The rubber mounts you're getting rid of would flex ... that's a given ... shoot, they're rubber, right?
The first boat I put a rail kit into ... man, I thought it was the fastest thing ever! A major difference.
When you think about it ... the stringers are the strongest part of your hull ... and with the re-inforcements you've just added ... you'll be transferring all of the engine torque you have to the two stringers you have!
All I have to say is hold on ... if you're putting any HP out (which I think you are for having a pretty stout 455) ... you'll feel the difference ...
have fun!
BB

FASTRAT
12-13-2005, 03:25 AM
Overkill? LOL, I think jet boats in genral fit into the overkill catagory, eh?, Changin the oil in a jet is more of a pain than gettin to that timeing cover.
i solved the oil chng problem...i have a Milodon flat bottom pan with 2 drain plugs on the side...i run a 45* fitting from the back 1 with a shut-off valve on the end of the fitting to which i run a hose which goes out the drain plug in the jet...i jack up the trailer...open the valve...out goes the oil...prob solved...no more messes!
fastrat

Devilman
12-13-2005, 04:40 AM
i solved the oil chng problem...i have a Milodon flat bottom pan with 2 drain plugs on the side...i run a 45* fitting from the back 1 with a shut-off valve on the end of the fitting to which i run a hose which goes out the drain plug in the jet...i jack up the trailer...open the valve...out goes the oil...prob solved...no more messes!
fastrat
Yep. Me too. Previous owner had 3/8" fuel line running off a fitting which replaced the drain plug, that could be snaked out the drain plug. Got rid of that for 3/4" braided hose with a ball valve off the pan. Now, drains the oil faster cold than it would hot with the previous set-up.

bigblockbill
12-13-2005, 07:30 AM
I don't know about an olds, but in the Chevy motor I put a choped up milk jug under the oil filter once I take it off, Mark then remove the distibuter and spin the oil pump shaft. All the oil is out of the motor in less than a skinnet. Put it back together and away I go.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-13-2005, 07:53 AM
that would mean if you pulled the dist. then you better make sure that you put it exactly were you pulled it.....

Devilman
12-13-2005, 09:00 AM
I don't know about an olds, but in the Chevy motor I put a choped up milk jug under the oil filter once I take it off, Mark then remove the distibuter and spin the oil pump shaft. All the oil is out of the motor in less than a skinnet. Put it back together and away I go.
There was a thread awhile back about oil-draining methods. Either here or may have gotten moved to How-to..... That was one method. This setup I have now, the oil is out quicker than it would take me to pull the dist. Just reach down & open the valve....

Taylorman
12-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Sounds like a pain in the ass to me. How about just put a drain hose out the plug hole and drain it out when its hot. I put a fitting in my drain plug on my oil pan with a ball valve. When i pull my boat out of the water, i attach a hose and run it out the plug hole and drain the oil till it stops. Then i head home with the hose hanging out and the rest of the oil drips out while im cruzing down the highway.

Devilman
12-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Sounds like a pain in the ass to me. How about just put a drain hose out the plug hole and drain it out when its hot. I put a fitting in my drain plug on my oil pan with a ball valve. When i pull my boat out of the water, i attach a hose and run it out the plug hole and drain the oil till it stops. Then i head home with the hose hanging out and the rest of the oil drips out while im cruzing down the highway.
Thanks for doing your part at retopping the highways!:D :D I just leave the hose hooked up on mine, lays right along the stringer under the engine. The best part is the I.D. of the valve & hose is large enough to drain the oil quickly even cold. I don't gotta screw around with running it to get the oil warm.

Taylorman
12-13-2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks for doing your part at retopping the highways!:D :D I just leave the hose hooked up on mine, lays right along the stringer under the engine. The best part is the I.D. of the valve & hose is large enough to drain the oil quickly even cold. I don't gotta screw around with running it to get the oil warm.
So if you see a brown trail on I-10 from Henderson to Lafayette, think of me.

Devilman
12-13-2005, 09:49 AM
So if you see a brown trail on I-10 from Henderson to Lafayette, think of me.
Gotcha! I remember somebody here saying they would just drain the oil into the bottom of the boat, then take it to some carwash & use the vacuum to suck all the oil out of his boat....:D

FLEA DIDDY
12-13-2005, 10:22 AM
fastrati have a Milodon pan setup like that also, ez sleezy. No mess at all. Hell I make more of a mess gettin the oil filter off. LOL

Taylorman
12-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Gotcha! I remember somebody here saying they would just drain the oil into the bottom of the boat, then take it to some carwash & use the vacuum to suck all the oil out of his boat....:D
Yuck

Oldsquirt
12-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Hell I make more of a mess gettin the oil filter off. LOL
Once the filter is loose, put a 1 gallon ziplock bag around it. Let the filter and oil fall into it. Zip it shut before you pull it out of the boat. Very minimal mess.

FLEA DIDDY
12-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Once the filter is loose, put a 1 gallon ziplock bag around it. Let the filter and oil fall into it. Zip it shut before you pull it out of the boat. Very minimal mess.
Man I never have ziplock bags handy...........I think my wife is selling dope behind my back,lol

FASTRAT
12-13-2005, 01:46 PM
now thats an "awsome" solution to that prob...i'm gonna try that the next time i chng the filter on my truck...thnx for the tip
fastrat

Taylorman
12-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Well i got the rear plate cut to fit. Came out pretty good. Next im gonna buff it out and powdercoat all the metal.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/100_0683.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/100_0682.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/100_0681.jpg

Taylorman
01-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Heres a couple pics of my new plumbing. The new mounts required new lines cause all my other ones did not fit.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/Boat/Picture031.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-05-2006, 08:02 AM
Taylorman, You sure are doing a bitchin job on your boat;) Keep the pics flowin;)

DelawareDave
01-05-2006, 09:29 AM
What intake is that you are running? Also- is that a marine fuel pump? I have not been having much luck locating a real marine stock pump, although I haven't looked very far, either.
Oh yeah- the water lines look pretty darn good, too.

Taylorman
01-05-2006, 09:49 AM
What intake is that you are running? Also- is that a marine fuel pump? I have not been having much luck locating a real marine stock pump, although I haven't looked very far, either.
Oh yeah- the water lines look pretty darn good, too.
Its a Victor intake. No its not a marine pump, dont need one with an open engine.

superdave013
01-05-2006, 10:14 AM
I see you found a compression to ORB fitting for the tee valve. Looks nice man. Kinda shocked you didn't hardline the puke tank too. lol

Taylorman
01-05-2006, 10:58 AM
I see you found a compression to ORB fitting for the tee valve. Looks nice man. Kinda shocked you didn't hardline the puke tank too. lol
Im gonna look for a tubing bender that can bed a tighter radius than what i have now. The reason i did not use hard line on the puke tank is because the radius would make it stick way out away from the valve cover. I would like to though.

Wasted Income
01-05-2006, 02:36 PM
What material are you using for the plates?
Thanks!

Taylorman
01-05-2006, 02:52 PM
The front is 1/4 alum and the rear is 3/8.

Wasted Income
01-06-2006, 01:47 PM
That looks really great! Can you keep us posted with some detailed pics when it's all buttoned up? :cool:

Taylorman
02-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Heres the completed pics. The only thing i want to do is buff them out with scotch brite on a grinder smooth and powdercoat all the pieces.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/DCP_6011.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/DCP_6010.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/DCP_6009.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/DCP_6008.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/DCP_6007.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/DCP_6006.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/DCP_6005.jpg

BrendellaJet
02-09-2006, 04:20 PM
looks good!

bakerjet
02-09-2006, 04:33 PM
nice!! pretty handy with the tubing bender also.

Devilman
02-10-2006, 05:15 AM
Damn Kevin, that looks nice!! That really paid off. :cool:
Did you make the driveline cover as well? How is it attached?

Taylorman
02-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Damn Kevin, that looks nice!! That really paid off. :cool:
Did you make the driveline cover as well? How is it attached?
Yes i made that. It fits around the bearing cover of the pump. Its split in half and the two halves are bolted to the motor plate. I think it came out pretty good. Once its powdercoated it will be nicer. That will come later though. Im tired of pulling the motor in and out. I probably put the motor in and out about 10 times.

Devilman
02-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Yes i made that. It fits around the bearing cover of the pump. Its split in half and the two halves are bolted to the motor plate. I think it came out pretty good. Once its powdercoated it will be nicer. That will come later though. Im tired of pulling the motor in and out. I probably put the motor in and out about 10 times.
:D I would imagine so. I'll be lookin forward to seein it in person....

Taylorman
02-10-2006, 08:11 AM
:D I would imagine so. I'll be lookin forward to seein it in person....
In fact, after this exercise with a chain hoist, im using my harbor freight christmas gift cards for an electic hoist.

Devilman
02-10-2006, 08:25 AM
In fact, after this exercise with a chain hoist, im using my harbor freight christmas gift cards for an electic hoist.
LMAO! But think of all the exercise you got! They finally went to electric hoists here at the shop a few years ago. Not that I use them a whole lot, but its nice to know they're at my disposal....

MarKist
02-10-2006, 09:18 AM
lookin good Kevin, I thought that you was going BBC?? but maybe not,anyway,great job :)
Markist

Taylorman
02-10-2006, 11:48 AM
lookin good Kevin, I thought that you was going BBC?? but maybe not,anyway,great job :)
Markist
Two kid put a strain on that project.

MarKist
02-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Two kid put a strain on that project.
I know what you mean.... :D
Markist

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-21-2006, 04:53 PM
nice work fellas;)
I wanted to bump this thread for a friend.....