PDA

View Full Version : CHP gave me a ticket today. :(

Phat Matt
11-21-2005, 05:29 PM
I got popped for speeding on I-10. Was I speeding? Yeah, I was going over 65. He wrote me up for 85 though. I was going about 75, maybe 80 for a short time. I was driving my Excursion that I don't drive that fast because it's so big. Then he wrote me for my tinted windows, and another one because I couldn't find my proof of insurance. I could only find the last 2 years. I do have proof in their somewhere. I was taking my sister and her baby to the airport. They almost missed their flight because I was pulled over.
I saw him behind me and was trying to get out of his way, because they do that all the time and pass me. I couldn't get over because their were cars on my right, then he lit me up.
This sucks. My brother in law is a cop, I have lots of cop friends, and I handle the CHP's advertising. I didn't tell him that but it just sucks. Now before I get flamed, if you do 65 on the freeway here in SoCal you get ran over. Looks like I'll be paying and doing some traffic school. Oh, I also like how he checked to make sure I had a front plate. That could have been another infraction. :rolleyes:

MagicMtnDan
11-21-2005, 05:32 PM
That sucks Matt. Did you lift your truck and, if you did, did you recalibrate your speedo? Otherwise you might have been going faster than you think :rolleyes:

Kilrtoy
11-21-2005, 05:34 PM
$561 for no proof of ins........OUCH
It is up to the judge if he wants to dismiss that portion

Riverkid
11-21-2005, 05:37 PM
I just got one last week in Temecula. Said I made an illegal lane change on surface streets 3 miles back, but hey, look at that window tint. Also got me for no front plate... Hello, traffic school?

Phat Matt
11-21-2005, 05:38 PM
That sucks Matt. Did you lift your truck and, if you did, did you recalibrate your speedo? Otherwise you might have been going faster than you think :rolleyes:
The speedo is off by 5 mph. 70 is really 75. The officer said my speedo is off by 10 mph. I have checked it on the gps and it is 5. Because of the bigger tires I get a little shake at higher speeds. That is one reason I don't drive it that fast. That is why I don't think I was doing 85.
Does anyone know if 10 or 20 mph over the posted makes any difference?

Phat Matt
11-21-2005, 05:39 PM
$561 for no proof of ins........OUCH
It is up to the judge if he wants to dismiss that portion
I could only find the last 2 years. I was more concerned with getting my sister to the airport. I figured that would get thrown out since I do have it.

Phat Matt
11-21-2005, 05:40 PM
I just got one last week in Temecula. Said I made an illegal lane change on surface streets 3 miles back, but hey, look at that window tint. Also got me for no front plate... Hello, traffic school?
The tint really does make a difference in the Havasu heat. :(

Ziggy
11-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Its been well documented in the media that they are cracking down on speed big time...........and they now use radar on most Interstates.
I have to thank you Matt for not denying, those threads are lame. :)
Tint might be a $20 admin fee for fix-it ticket, and likely the Insur. deal will be dropped if proof it was valid on ticket date....
And like it seems to you, they tend to find the least opertune time to pull you over :rolleyes: :D

Riverkid
11-21-2005, 05:54 PM
The tint really does make a difference in the Havasu heat. :(
Havasu? What about Corona in the middle of summer! H-O-T. It's not limo, but the drivers windows and the windshield band are illegal. Mike's Tint Shop will redo it for free (I bought that deal when they did the windows six months ago)...

Jrocket
11-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Was it Officer Steiner?

Kilrtoy
11-21-2005, 07:15 PM
T
No difference
1-5
6-24
25Plus

Kilrtoy
11-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Was it Officer Steiner?
That is not even funny...... :mad:

DCBDaytona
11-21-2005, 07:21 PM
I hate to generalize....but I hate CHP and think they are useless.

Excessive Force
11-21-2005, 07:29 PM
The speedo is off by 5 mph. 70 is really 75. The officer said my speedo is off by 10 mph. I have checked it on the gps and it is 5. Because of the bigger tires I get a little shake at higher speeds. That is one reason I don't drive it that fast. That is why I don't think I was doing 85.
Get yourself a true speed $180 and wont have to guess your speed anymore and be done with it!

Kilrtoy
11-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Are you sure? I got one of those a few years ago because I didn't have it with me. I went to court, showed the judge my insurance card that proved I had insurance when I was pulled over and I had to pay a $10 or $20 administration fee. That was the only citation I received that day and I'm sure it was less than $20 because I paid it in cash.
Hence the BOLD words,
Yes, it can get reduced to just a few bucks, at the judges discretion

Excessive Force
11-21-2005, 07:38 PM
actually the a-hole girlscout freeway cookie seller could have checked the box to make it a 'fix it' ticket. i got a ticket for lack of proof of insurance awhile back and he checked the box i paid 10 bux and it was done. your gonna pay, how much thru the nose only the judge :mad: knows

Throttle
11-21-2005, 07:39 PM
depending upon the way the officer wrote the tint... correctable or not... it may only cost $10 or $15 for admin fee. then $15 to have them sign it off and whatever it costs to take it off.
traffic school $53
a day with a retired cop that rambles on all day, priceless...

JackieV
11-21-2005, 07:40 PM
WOW! Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you were just the pick of the day though.

Kilrtoy
11-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Won't a judge normally reduce it if you actually had insurance when you were stopped?
in almost every case yes, but what do I know

JetBoatRich
11-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Its been well documented in the media that they are cracking down on speed big time...........and they now use radar on most Interstates.
:D
They were all over the 10 today :rolleyes: seen two CHP bikes using radar on the right side of the freeway :yuk:

TinMan
11-21-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm considering fighting a ticket I got on the 405 in Westminster. I called the court and the CHP will only do traffic court on Mondays. It's bullshit. I should be able to get the court day to any one I want if I'm gonna pay the not guilty fee anyway. I was in the carpool lane with family, cruise set at 72. CHP scooter cop says he paced me between 75 and 81. Lying A-hole. :crossx:

ACCEPTENCE
11-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Are you sure? I got one of those a few years ago because I didn't have it with me. I went to court, showed the judge my insurance card that proved I had insurance when I was pulled over and I had to pay a $10 or $20 administration fee. That was the only citation I received that day and I'm sure it was less than $20 because I paid it in cash.
What could have happened is:
Failure to Provide a Peace Officer Evidence of Financial Responsibility.
VC-(16028)(a)
Base fine = $200.00
Added Penalty = $440.00
Surcharge = $40.00
Grand Total= $680.00
A $680.00 fine could have been imposed.
I'd say you had a pretty good day :D

voodoomedman
11-21-2005, 10:52 PM
I got a fix-it for the tint on my truck from a chippy about 3 years ago I read the ticket and it said $10 if verified or $60 if not. I sent in the ticket with the $60 bucks and was done with it.

PBOCOP
11-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Insurance will be $10 when you bring in proof you actually had it.
Yes, the next fine bracket starts at 20mph over.

Dan Lorenze
11-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Coming home from work tonight I noticed that I was practically getting run over while driving 75mph. Times are changing big time...

topless
11-22-2005, 12:20 AM
Just sign it off yourself. You can use the name Miguel and just scribble it. They'll never know the difference. :crossx:

HM
11-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Bummer. The good news is, I just saved a bunch of money on my auto insurance. :D

FreshTracks
11-22-2005, 08:17 AM
What's the difference between a CHP and a bag of $hit?.......
The bag.
I was the receipient of an invitation to to court from a CHP a few weeks ago. Doing 91 in a 70, Chip'r wrote me up for 85. Got the ticket in the mail, bill was $155 plus $29 for traffic court. The Chip'r was actually a cool guy, execept for the ticket part, but that was my fault. I was just lucky he didn't nail me when I was doing 100! ( Late night on the 10 with no traffic).

PHOTOGLOU
11-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Just sign it off yourself. You can use the name Miguel and just scribble it. They'll never know the difference. :crossx:
Toples................ Your gonna get him in trouble................ Matt if you do this..................... Be sure to use crayon

Kilrtoy
11-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Toples................ Your gonna get him in trouble................ Matt if you do this..................... Be sure to use crayon
That is how I signed those loan papers for the cars you sold me...
so it must work

Cole Trickle
11-22-2005, 08:43 AM
My better half got a 80 in a 65 coming down the pass in to Cochella last time out.
He also wrote us for no lic. plate and window tint.
Funny thing is he came back to the car and said he was writing us for the above fractions plus no insurance...I said sir I handed that to you 2 minutes ago and you said OK and gve it back.He said no I didn't so I pulled it out along with a business card and asked if he would take a verbal verification since I am the agent on the account.(He suddenly remembered the ID card)
He was a nice guy overall.
What I thought was weird was that he said he didn't get us on radar and paced us at 75mph.Yet he wrote us for 80mph and said he was giving us a break???(He saw us from the opposite side of the freeway)
We took it and smailed because we had been going much faster than 80 between Desert Center and Chiraco.
I believe due to the location we are eligible for online traffic school.

Phat Matt
11-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Get yourself a true speed $180 and wont have to guess your speed anymore and be done with it!
I don't have to guess. It IS off by 5mph.

Phat Matt
11-22-2005, 08:58 AM
Insurance will be $10 when you bring in proof you actually had it.
Yes, the next fine bracket starts at 20mph over.
I did have it and it is within easy reach in my truck now. :)

Phat Matt
11-22-2005, 09:03 AM
What color does he normally use? :D
http://magneticframes.com/lytle/images/crayon/crayon3.jpg

SANDBAGGER
11-22-2005, 09:05 AM
In my experience's, 20+ equals NO SCHOOL, and can be handles as a criminal offence.

Phat Matt
11-22-2005, 09:13 AM
In my experience's, 20+ equals NO SCHOOL, and can be handles as a criminal offence.
Great. I drove into LA last night and drove like I normally do and I really don't think I ever reached 85. I need to get my tires balanced again and it starts to shake a little at 80 so I never get to that point.

SANDBAGGER
11-22-2005, 09:18 AM
What color does he normally use? :D
http://magneticframes.com/lytle/images/crayon/crayon3.jpg
all at once i'm sure. :rollside:

NuckinFutz
11-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Matt, I don't doubt your GPS, but check it at different speeds as tires will change the speed throughout the range. A 10% bigger tire will be 10% higher speed at whatever speed- 40 mph on speedo= 44 on GPS, 80 mph on speedo makes 88 on GPS etc. I know alot of people who have checked it at say 50 and see 5 off and believe that is what it is off on all speeds. Just a piece of information, not saying you haven't already realized that, just some don't.

Phat Matt
11-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Matt, I don't doubt your GPS, but check it at different speeds as tires will change the speed throughout the range. A 10% bigger tire will be 10% higher speed at whatever speed- 40 mph on speedo= 44 on GPS, 80 mph on speedo makes 88 on GPS etc. I know alot of people who have checked it at say 50 and see 5 off and believe that is what it is off on all speeds. Just a piece of information, not saying you haven't already realized that, just some don't.
I hear you there but we checked it this weekend at different speeds coming back from the Salton Sea. I don't have super huge tires. They are just 35's on a 4x4 Ford Excursion.

NuckinFutz
11-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Looks like you already did your homework, I'll send you a star to put on your forehead seeing you are a good student. Sorry about the citation, just trying to help you and any others out in the future. By the way, if you make it to Utah, holler and a rounds on me.

riverroyal
11-22-2005, 11:13 AM
that I see mexican pickup trucks grossly over loaded with crap hanging off the back headed to mex on the I-5.Dont want to give them a ticket,Im sure its to much paperwork.They ,chp,would rather give Matt a ticket for going with the flow off traffic

Phat Matt
11-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Looks like you already did your homework, I'll send you a star to put on your forehead seeing you are a good student. Sorry about the citation, just trying to help you and any others out in the future. By the way, if you make it to Utah, holler and a rounds on me.
I will let you know when I make the trek up there.

Phat Matt
11-22-2005, 11:38 AM
that I see mexican pickup trucks grossly over loaded with crap hanging off the back headed to mex on the I-5.Dont want to give them a ticket,Im sure its to much paperwork.They ,chp,would rather give Matt a ticket for going with the flow off traffic
I was just following a guy with a trailer that couldn't seem to stay in his lane. I had to speed up to pass him cuz I didn't want to follow him. I could have been popped there. :crossx:
Oh well. Maybe the CHP guy was having a bad day too. Shit happens.

riverroyal
11-22-2005, 11:40 AM
I was just following a guy with a trailer that couldn't seem to stay in his lane. I had to speed up to pass him cuz I didn't want to follow him. I could have been popped there. :crossx:
Oh well. Maybe the CHP guy was having a bad day too. Shit happens.
ever have good days? :cool:

JB in so cal
11-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Do they look like a Dodge, Chebby or Ford? I don't think I've ever seen one...

Phat Matt
11-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Do they look like a Dodge, Chebby or Ford? I don't think I've ever seen one...
http://siteresources.worldbank.org/NEWS/Images/Passengersinpickup.jpg

riverroyal
11-22-2005, 11:59 AM
http://siteresources.worldbank.org/NEWS/Images/Passengersinpickup.jpg
air bags

SandbarScot
11-22-2005, 01:05 PM
The violation of not having evidence of insurance, CVC 16028(a), is NOT qualified as a "fix-it" ticket, as the vehicle code only allows fix-it sign offs for "registration, license, or mechanical requirements." The insurance section does not apply and only a judge can dismiss this count.
CVC 40610 is very specific on this.