PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Training ???

Squirtin Thunder
11-22-2005, 12:14 AM
As most of you know I recieved a puppy from my daughter. She is very smart and initial training has been easy, house breaking, name reconition and sitting on comand. The problem I am having is, I bought a collor and leash for her today, she freaks once I put any pressure on the leash. She also pulls real hard trying to get away to hide, while yalping. I don't remember this from any of my other dogs, but it has been 15 years. So I need some help.
Thank you
Jim
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2311Pict0971-med.jpghttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2311Pict0963-med.jpg

topless
11-22-2005, 12:18 AM
I've had a couple dogs in the past that did that. It just takes a little time for them to know that the leash is a good thing and means they get to go for a walk. Just keep using it and she/he will get used to it.

Rexone
11-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Put her on a choke chain and take her out on an open grassy area (not asphalt or concrete) and just walk her. After she drags and chokes a little shell get the idea. If you do it with a reg collar she may pull her head through. After she get used to walking then you can tighten her up and teach her to heel. One step at a time though. Some pups just don't dig leashes at first.

Squirtin Thunder
11-22-2005, 12:32 AM
Put her on a choke chain and take her out on an open grassy area (not asphalt or concrete) and just walk her. After she drags and chokes a little shell get the idea. If you do it with a reg collar she may pull her head through. After she get used to walking then you can tighten her up and teach her to heel. One step at a time though. Some pups just don't dig leashes at first.
Walking in the house she stays right at the 4 O'clock position always. Hopefully this works. I just don't want to force her too much.

topless
11-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Walking in the house she stays right at the 4 O'clock position always. Hopefully this works. I just don't want to force her too much.My puppy as I recall got over her fighting with the leash within a week. Good luck.

Squirtin Thunder
11-22-2005, 12:42 AM
My puppy as I recall got over her fighting with the leash within a week. Good luck.
Way do they freak out ???

topless
11-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Way do they freak out ???I don't know but after a few times on the leash, she liked it. I hated taking her for a drag at first. I think it's because they aren't used to it and feel threatened. Do what Rexone said. It will get easier.

Rexone
11-22-2005, 01:17 AM
Way do they freak out ???
If you'd spent the first few weeks of you life sucking your moms tits, layin around sleeping, being swooned over cause you're so damn cute by these giant humans, chewin on various shit of your choice and doin pretty much what you damn well please, and then some big jackass comes after you and puts a rope round your neck and starts draggin your little ass around where you have no desire to go.... get the idea :D

vette000
11-22-2005, 02:12 AM
Were have you people been? Would you want to be choked? I use gentle leader by premier,it works,wish i came up with the ideal. You can find one at petsmart,petco or the internet.

topless
11-22-2005, 02:43 AM
Were have you people been? Would you want to be choked? I use gentle leader by premier,it works,wish i came up with the ideal. You can find one at petsmart,petco or the internet.
When I had my rotti, I had to use a pinch collar. (Yeah, you might think it's cruel but she was very powerful and I was not about to let her go after someone and get sued.) Anyway, after she got out of her puppy stage, she was the best dog I ever had and never had to use it again. Dogs want to protect what is theirs and that includes us so if you don't show them that you are the one in control, you are fighting a losing battle. Don't get me wrong here because I am the biggest animal lover you'll ever meet but I'm not going to let a dog control me. To answer your question, no I wouldn't want to be choked but in the animal kingdom when they show who is in control, it is always by a choke hold so it is natural for them not cruel.

Sleek-Jet
11-22-2005, 02:48 AM
Were have you people been? Would you want to be choked?
I don't know about the rest of these people, but I've been living under a rock... :D
As far as the collar goes no, and neither does the dog, that's why they work. I don't know if I'd use a chocker right out of the box, but if the puppy isn't learning how to be on a leash...

KLEPTOW
11-22-2005, 03:18 AM
You need to let them drag the leash around until they are comfortable with it.

JetBoatRich
11-22-2005, 04:13 AM
If you'd spent the first few weeks of you life sucking your moms tits, layin around sleeping, being swooned over cause you're so damn cute by these giant humans, chewin on various shit of your choice and doin pretty much what you damn well please, and then some big jackass comes after you and puts a rope round your neck and starts draggin your little ass around where you have no desire to go.... get the idea :D
Very well put :cool:
I never had this problem with m dogs :rolleyes: where the "FREAKED OUT" but they did not like the collar/leash at first and a little dragging was needed to teach them what it was for. Once the gotthe hang of it, no problems except they they are bigger and try walk us :rolleyes:

Rexone
11-22-2005, 04:29 AM
I've never had a problem using the choke chain which in inself is somewhat a misnomer if used correctly. Correctly in the case of a puppy would be gentle but quick snaps, not dragging around as my other post might have implied. They should never be used in that manner. Let the pup tighten the chain with her own force at first and they'll usuaslly get the picture without even snapping the chain much. Many trainers including ones I've used instruct and recommend their use. But proper use is important and NEVER leave a choke chain on an unsupervised dog or drag a dog around by the chain to the point they are choking, that is improper procedure and cruel to the animal not to mention dangerous. They are NOT collars, they are for training. And make sure the chain in correctly put on the dog with the moving part of the chain over the neck, not under. Under does no good and can hurt the dog. I should have been a little more detailed in my first post I guess. Sometimes I assume everyone knows how to use things properly which I shouldn't assume.

spectratoad
11-22-2005, 05:58 AM
The choke chain is a good idea. If you use a regular collar they may slip out and then the pup realizes it can slip out of it and it becomes a habit. Just use the collar properly and it won't kill or injure the puppy. All three of my dog now have the web belting collars and they don't slip out of them.
Yes I have been under a rock too. I am a dog owner not a dog guardian, partner or whatever the new PC thing is to say. :p

Jordy
11-22-2005, 06:00 AM
and then some big jackass
So you're saying ST is a big jackass???? :D :D :D

76ANTHONY
11-22-2005, 07:24 AM
my dog did the same thing, i started out by letting her wear the collar for about 3 days. then i put the leash on the collar. let her run around the house with the leash on. she will think its a toy. then when you pick up the leash she will want to play and run around with you. i dont know if this will help, but it did work for mine and she loves to go for a walk now...

MsDrmr
11-22-2005, 08:38 AM
I've never had a problem using the choke chain which in inself is somewhat a misnomer if used correctly. Correctly in the case of a puppy would be gentle but quick snaps, not dragging around as my other post might have implied. They should never be used in that manner. Let the pup tighten the chain with her own force at first and they'll usuaslly get the picture without even snapping the chain much. Many trainers including ones I've used instruct and recommend their use. But proper use is important and NEVER leave a choke chain on an unsupervised dog or drag a dog around by the chain to the point they are choking, that is improper procedure and cruel to the animal not to mention dangerous. They are NOT collars, they are for training. And make sure the chain in correctly put on the dog with the moving part of the chain over the neck, not under. Under does no good and can hurt the dog. I should have been a little more detailed in my first post I guess. Sometimes I assume everyone knows how to use things properly which I shouldn't assume.
agreed, thats what "most" trainers choose to use....

Squirtin Thunder
11-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Wow, thank you for all your replies.

Tahiti350
11-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Training in the house can be harder, use the leash like you will in the future, when you are going outside. That way she associates it to "Going" not a kind of control or punishment. Very important to make the leash fun, then start working on the training again.
I have a very large fenced yard, so the only time my dog goes on a leash is to leave the property. If I pick up the leash (in the house) he's right there trying to stick his head thru it, he wants to "go". I use a slip leash like most vet clinics have, loops thru itself like a "choker", but I have never had to use it as one.
I have had more problems with the loser's who won't leash their dogs, just let them run loose. "They just just want to be friends" "They aren't aggressive" "See how much good it did to leash your dog, now he can't fight".
The last one really happened, Pit/Rot running loose in a campground while I was walking mine. Bastard jumped my dog and the owner just laughed, right up until he was ticketed by the Ranger and thrown out of the park without a refund. Bastard. Fortunately I was able to pull my dog away with no injuries.

riverroyal
11-22-2005, 10:29 AM
weve done 3 weeks off petsmart school,its more like puppy play time.So this week we are having a real trainer come over,its once a week for 5 to 7 weeks.The dog is great so far,we just feel that she will be with us for around 12 years,so its worth investing some time and cash into her.We plan on taking the dog everywhere,havasu,desert etc.I dont want a dog thats a pain in the ass to other people or other dogs.Think about the future,spend the time now,it will pay off in the end!

JB in so cal
11-22-2005, 10:35 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2271DSC00540-med.jpg

riverroyal
11-22-2005, 10:42 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2271DSC00540-med.jpg
your on your game today huh,,,,,that fricken dog!!!Heres the story,we were on a beach all day with Jb,his family and friends,thats a dog from a family member of JBs.So my wife was cleaning the boat,she was in acleaning frenzy,I wasnt about to stop her,plus it was fun watching her in a bikini cleaning :rollside: .As soon as she finishes,that dog runs down the beach,not a clean sandy beach,jumps in my boat and starts doing donuts,mud everywhere,rocks,etc.On the seats,the engine cover,everywhere.The owner then gave me the look of "its only dirt"....Thats why my dog will be in training.Jbs dogs are in my boat all the time,but he is like me,he follws them will a towel and TOBTEKs secret sauce.

JB in so cal
11-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Go back on the meds, man. It'll be fine.

riverroyal
11-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Go back on the meds, man. It'll be fine.
Im on meds,rest of my fricken life damn it....You bringing the dogs for the xmas parade right?

Cole Trickle
11-22-2005, 10:47 AM
I was wondering about the Pet Smart Puppy training classes.
We walked into the store wen they were doing the class and it was puppy maddness.(Paying for your new dog to play with other dogs)
We have worked with our 4month old Boston Terrier quite a bit and take her everywhere.
She had a leash/collar/harness on her from day one I didn't care if she liked it or not.(Luckily she was really really good with it)
I was interested in the classes but Bama has the attention span of a flea and can't remember her name at her age if there are distractions.
She already sits,stays and lays down and she has been potty trained for about 3 weeks now.

JB in so cal
11-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Im on meds,rest of my fricken life damn it....You bringing the dogs for the xmas parade right?
Absolutely. Even Box of ashes is going. I'll be there friday afternoon; Lis about 6 or 7.
Is that special event still planned for the channel friday?

Cole Trickle
11-22-2005, 10:49 AM
your on your game today huh,,,,,that fricken dog!!!Heres the story,we were on a beach all day with Jb,his family and friends,thats a dog from a family member of JBs.So my wife was cleaning the boat,she was in acleaning frenzy,I wasnt about to stop her,plus it was fun watching her in a bikini cleaning :rollside: .As soon as she finishes,that dog runs down the beach,not a clean sandy beach,jumps in my boat and starts doing donuts,mud everywhere,rocks,etc.On the seats,the engine cover,everywhere.The owner then gave me the look of "its only dirt"....Thats why my dog will be in training.Jbs dogs are in my boat all the time,but he is like me,he follws them will a towel and TOBTEKs secret sauce.
That why I got a V and a dog that weighs 20lbs fully grown. :p
That would have been funny in a very upsetting kind of way.

riverroyal
11-22-2005, 10:50 AM
That why I got a V and a dog that weighs 20lbs fully grown. :p
That would have been funny in a very upsetting kind of way.
drinking in the sun makes everything funny,we also got to watch my wife clean again.Ive tried to recreate the seen here at the house,she wont go for it

riverroyal
11-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Absolutely. Even Box of ashes is going. I'll be there friday afternoon; Lis about 6 or 7.
Is that special event still planned for the channel friday?
as far as I know,I will make some calls today to confirm...

Cole Trickle
11-22-2005, 10:55 AM
drinking in the sun makes everything funny,we also got to watch my wife clean again.Ive tried to recreate the seen here at the house,she wont go for it
My dog has a weird thing about bringing everything into the house from the patio.
Leaves,Rocks,Dirt and our freaking water hose!!!
She weighs in at a incredibly strong 11lbs and she somehow carried in 25 feet of hose?If she wasn't so cute I would trade her in on a lawn gnome.

riverroyal
11-22-2005, 10:58 AM
My dog has a weird thing about bringing everything into the house from the patio.
She weighs in at a incredibly strong 11lbs and she somehow carried in 25 feet of hose?If she wasn't so cute I would trade her in on a lawn gnome.
I think our puppies poop weighs 11

Squirtin Thunder
11-22-2005, 10:59 AM
I have to say my little one has been good so far. But even if she was bad it is hard to be mad when she is so cute.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2311Pict0963-med.jpg

Cole Trickle
11-22-2005, 11:18 AM
I have to say my little one has been good so far. But even if she was bad it is hard to be mad when she is so cute.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2311Pict0963-med.jpg
I hear ya!!
What kind of pup is that? Looks kinda like a husky...
Here is Bama showing me how to use the Camera!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491Bama-med.jpg

Cole Trickle
11-22-2005, 11:21 AM
I think our puppies poop weighs 11
Big dog big poop!
Our first choice would have been a female yellow lab but we don't have the room in our Condo.
Honestly after having the chance to own a Boston Terrier I will always have one.(They are so cool and have the best personalities)

riverroyal
11-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Big dog big poop!
Our first choice would have been a female yellow lab but we don't have the room in our Condo.
Honestly after having the chance to own a Boston Terrier I will always have one.(They are so cool and have the best personalities)
ive never had a small dog,I can see the advantages

76ANTHONY
11-22-2005, 11:28 AM
hahahahaha a fricken lawn gnome, ahhhhh hahahahaa thats too dam funny.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491Bama-med.jpg a lawn gnome, i dont think you could do it.... :D :D

Cole Trickle
11-22-2005, 11:34 AM
ive never had a small dog,I can see the advantages
Me either.
I looked for a couple years before I made a choice.My better half and I are not wussie dog/cat lovers.
We looked at Jack Russels (Too crazy)
Heelies (Too Agressive)
Bull Dog (Too exspensive medically/a little too lazy)
I wanted a stought strong dog that was not over 30 pounds.(She plays well with big dogs because she is so fast)
I had never een considered a Boston until I went to a Party at River Bounds House.His cousin had one and it's temprament and personality was amazing.I did some research and could not find a bad thing about the breed.(Good with animals,kids,elderly,etc..)
She will go from sleep to 100mph to sleep if thats what we want her to do.
She never gets more than 20 feet away from either of us and you can tell she is always trying to do the right thing.
She is very trainable and smart as can be.
She likes loud cars/boats and enjoys the water.
Overall she has been nothing short of amazing.I will try and get some updated pictures this weekend out in Dumont.She looks pretty cool in her red hoodie. :p

riverroyal
11-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Me either.
I looked for a couple years before I made a choice.My better half and I are not wussie dog/cat lovers.
We looked at Jack Russels (Too crazy)
Heelies (Too Agressive)
Bull Dog (Too exspensive medically/a little too lazy)
I wanted a stought strong dog that was not over 30 pounds.(She plays well with big dogs because she is so fast)
I had never een considered a Boston until I went to a Party at River Bounds House.His cousin had one and it's temprament and personality was amazing.I did some research and could not find a bad thing about the breed.(Good with animals,kids,elderly,etc..)
She will go from sleep to 100mph to sleep if thats what we want her to do.
She never gets more than 20 feet away from either of us and you can tell she is always trying to do the right thing.
She is very trainable and smart as can be.
She likes loud cars/boats and enjoys the water.
Overall she has been nothing short of amazing.I will try and get some updated pictures this weekend out in Dumont.She looks pretty cool in her red hoodie. :p
sitting by the fire having a pupperoni and a coors light

Cole Trickle
11-22-2005, 11:44 AM
sitting by the fire having a pupperoni and a coors light
Just chilling gangster style!!

Squirtin Thunder
11-22-2005, 11:46 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2311Pict0963-med.jpgI hear ya!!
What kind of pup is that? Looks kinda like a husky...
Here is Bama showing me how to use the Camera!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491Bama-med.jpg
According to the Bullhead City Animal Control she is a Husky/Malmute.
So yes big pooop !!!
I don't want to trama tizzer her with the leash, that is my only real concern. When I say she freeeks out I mean screaming and laying down, pulling as hard as she can back wards.I only tried twice yesterday. All she wants to do now is lay around. No running or jumping or regular puppy stuff.