PDA

View Full Version : Deep Fried Turkey.....???

NOTALENT
11-22-2005, 08:12 AM
I have always heard how great it was and this year will be the first time having it. Anyone else tried it???

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-22-2005, 08:14 AM
I have never had it either. I am actually not a huge fan of turkey in the first place. I just like the skin! :rollside:

AzLakeLizard
11-22-2005, 08:14 AM
Deep Fried Turkeys are GREAT!... the first time we had one was out "tailgating" at a football game... crisp outside and very tender inside!
(we need to buy a fryer for our house!) :rollside:

Tom Brown
11-22-2005, 08:15 AM
I have always heard how great it was and this year will be the first time having it. Anyone else tried it???
Tried it. Like it. Always enjoy the intense gastritis that follows.

SANDBAGGER
11-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Awsome!!!!!!!!!! Really juicy!

Jbb
11-22-2005, 08:18 AM
They are great...just make sure its done....and be careful with all that hot oil....every year the news here is full of reports on people plopping their Turkey in an overfull cooker....and spending the day in the emergency room....

Chelle
11-22-2005, 08:19 AM
Do it, you will like it. It is the best way to cook a turkey...especially in Glamis.

Throttle
11-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Have done this a few times, you can not go wrong here! Use peanut oil and drink some jack, it tastes sooo good when it hits your lips!
ps, its messy...

Liberator TJ1984
11-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Very Very GOOODDD !!
beats the hell out of having the same old bird :boxed:

Captain Dan
11-22-2005, 08:25 AM
I was going to buy a setup, but what do you do with 3-5 gallons of used oil once you have cooked the turkey?

pjones
11-22-2005, 08:27 AM
I would suggest injecting the turkey w/ your favorite marinade also..
Very tasty and prevents it from being dry.
Be Very Careful!!!!!!!Do Not Overfill Pot w/ Oil....Not a Pretty Sight If It
Runs Over...
PJ

Jbb
11-22-2005, 08:28 AM
I was going to buy a setup, but what do you do with 3-5 gallons of used oil once you have cooked the turkey?
Biodiesel..... :)

pjones
11-22-2005, 08:28 AM
You can strain it and re use it or if you do several birds, just throw it away afterwards...I recommend the later....

topless
11-22-2005, 08:30 AM
We had one last year and it was the best turkey I've ever had (besides Tom of course). We are doing it again this year.

Captain Dan
11-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Biodiesel..... :)
But then I would get hungry when I drive....... :)

NOTALENT
11-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Damn...all these good review's...I cant wait!!! :crossx: Im going to gain a good 10lbs this weekend... :220v:

spectratoad
11-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Do it, you will like it.
I love it when a girl says that.
Deep fried Turkey is awesome. My brother does them every year. We just did a couple last Saturday night. MMMMMMM We have done a prime rib too. That was great.
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1476/4/7/56/30/70/0/70305607409_0_ALB.jpg

LHC30Victory
11-22-2005, 08:45 AM
OK, now how about cutting loose with you favorite marinades??????

76ANTHONY
11-22-2005, 08:46 AM
its the bomb. you will love it, and if you only gain 10lbs your a puss :D

jdogginla
11-22-2005, 08:56 AM
It's easy to cook.........and you'll never eat a roasted turkey again.
Easy-
While turkey is still wrapped- fill your pot with water and dump turkey. Mark your spot/line to make sure when you dump your turkey in oil it doesn't overflow and u have to call the fire dept. Also DO NOT do this indoors. DO it on the driveway. Place some cardboard down, just in case.
Turkey cooks in fryer at about 4 mins per pound. Make sure your turkey is thawed, dry and at room temp when u cook it.
Inject your turkey in the breast/wings and all over(use a marinade or use metled butter mixed with garlic and hot sauce for a southern fried bird)
Rub your turkey with a dry rub/spices or just use salt and pepper
Insert or rub the turkey with butter under the skin.....massage the bird.
Trust the turkey.....it's not going to burn- let it sit for 4 min a pound.
Once turkey is done......let set for 10 min or so...mmmmm juicy.
Enjoy.

wiggler
11-22-2005, 09:00 AM
I use a creole seasoning and marinade that I lifted from one of Emeril's cook books...Friggin AWESOME! Just be extremely careful when you lower the bird into the HOT oil.
Kick back with a pint of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and enjoy!

Sherpa
11-22-2005, 09:36 AM
I use a creole seasoning and marinade that I lifted from one of Emeril's cook books...Friggin AWESOME! Just be extremely careful when you lower the bird into the HOT oil.
Kick back with a pint of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and enjoy!
just about as close to any description I may have wrote myself. INcluding the
SN beer.....
but I may add, I also do about 1-2 pounds of large shrimp in tempura batter
first, then eat those little guys as a appestizer while I'm cooking the bird.
--We even do this camping..... drives the entire campground nuts!
--Sherpa

NoCal NoBoat
11-22-2005, 09:47 AM
Also, don't forget the hardware can be used in March - my cousin cooked corned beef, cabbage, carrots and potatoes for a St. Patrick's Day party for about 70 people. Use water, not oil, of course...

JAY4SPEED
11-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Fried turkeys are the normal around here. I visit a friend in San Diego quite often. He is origonally from New Orleans but moved to San Diego for law school. We both know how to fry turkeys well. One year, we went over to his girlfriends family's house in LA and offered to fry a turkey for Thanksgiving. Her mom wasn't sure about it but let us do it anyways. She had baked a turkey in case the no one like the fried one. After dinner, the fried turkey was picked clean while the baked one was sitting there untouched.
When done right, its amazing. You need to look for certain things and do one "Cajun Style." Look for "The Cajun Injector and Maranades" they have some awesome maranades as well as the giant injector needles. They can be found on the internet. A good pot is "Bayou Classics" they are usually sold through Home Depot and Walmart. You will also need some Tony Chachere's seasoning to season the outside of the bird, that can also be found on the internet. Once you fry a turkey for the family, you'll put one in the oven again.
Jay

XFactor
11-22-2005, 10:40 AM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_5481,00.html

ParkerSteve
11-22-2005, 10:41 AM
You must know about Thanksgiving @ Fox's (parker) Spencer likes to deep fry about 4-6 turkeys, & roasts about 4 turkeys and sometimes a beef roast.
Its pot luck. Turkey's free you bring pie,mashed potatoes, etc. big get togeather.....

slowinhavasuskid
11-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Deep Fried turkey is my favorite for Thanksgiving! My mom and dad are bringing Thanksgiving to me this year since I am away at school and I talked my dad into bringing the deep fryer! I bought 2 11 pound turkey's sunday! :)

pjones
11-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Fried turkeys are the normal around here. I visit a friend in San Diego quite often. He is origonally from New Orleans but moved to San Diego for law school. We both know how to fry turkeys well. One year, we went over to his girlfriends family's house in LA and offered to fry a turkey for Thanksgiving. Her mom wasn't sure about it but let us do it anyways. She had baked a turkey in case the no one like the fried one. After dinner, the fried turkey was picked clean while the baked one was sitting there untouched.
When done right, its amazing. You need to look for certain things and do one "Cajun Style." Look for "The Cajun Injector and Maranades" they have some awesome maranades as well as the giant injector needles. They can be found on the internet. A good pot is "Bayou Classics" they are usually sold through Home Depot and Walmart. You will also need some Tony Chachere's seasoning to season the outside of the bird, that can also be found on the internet. Once you fry a turkey for the family, you'll put one in the oven again.
Jay
What he said....Cest Bon!

Sane Asylum
11-22-2005, 11:04 AM
It's easy to cook.........and you'll never eat a roasted turkey again.
Easy-
While turkey is still wrapped- fill your pot with water and dump turkey. Mark your spot/line to make sure when you dump your turkey in oil it doesn't overflow and u have to call the fire dept. Also DO NOT do this indoors. DO it on the driveway. Place some cardboard down, just in case.
Turkey cooks in fryer at about 4 mins per pound. Make sure your turkey is thawed, dry and at room temp when u cook it.
Inject your turkey in the breast/wings and all over(use a marinade or use metled butter mixed with garlic and hot sauce for a southern fried bird)
Rub your turkey with a dry rub/spices or just use salt and pepper
Insert or rub the turkey with butter under the skin.....massage the bird.
Trust the turkey.....it's not going to burn- let it sit for 4 min a pound.
Once turkey is done......let set for 10 min or so...mmmmm juicy.
Enjoy.
I've probably fried 200+ turkeys. Just got through doing about 10 for my teams at work.
Couple of other things to consider..........
Start with a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon and some ice for the cook. Williams Reserve if you're a special cook.
1) Holes in anything will cause moisture loss. I've marinated before but now only use a rub (Tony's creole is the favorite).
2) I use 3 minutes/lb but wait until it floats slightly. It's done at that point. Like JD said.......BE PATIENT!!!
3) Cook at 325-350 degrees. Make sure the oil is around 400 degrees when you drop the turkey. It won't recover the heat if it's too low when you drop it in.
4) It should take you about 1 minute to drop it fully in the oil. Anything quicker is going to make a mess and a hot foot. Use a glove and a long sleeve just in case....
5) I let mine sit about 45 minutes to an hour after I take it out. It will continue to cook while it sits. It's still hot after 45 minutes.....
6) Canola is better for you and gives a much lighter taste. Doesn't hold heat as well but flavor
Hell, just come to my house with your turkey..........I'll fry it, but it'll cost you some Knob Creek......