PDA

View Full Version : Jet vs V-drive advatages/ disadvantages?

SnoopJonnyJon
11-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Hello all. I'm only a couple months away from finishing my mechanical engineering degree and am planning to buy an old boat once I finally get a job. I've been trying to figure out if I should go with a v-drive or a jet, but anything I've found has just been a "Who's better Captain Kirk or Captain Picard?" type of thing; just a lot of opinion. At the present I am leaning towards a v-drive just because I find a jet to look rather ugly hanging off the back, but I am hoping I could get info on pros/cons such as acceleration, top speed, durability, cost of repairs, handling, manueuverability, etc. I've got all the other toys that a guy needs (fast car, sportbike, snowmobile, atv) but I still need a boat.

riverbound
11-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Hello all. I'm only a couple months away from finishing my mechanical engineering degree and am planning to buy an old boat once I finally get a job. I've been trying to figure out if I should go with a v-drive or a jet, but anything I've found has just been a "Who's better Captain Kirk or Captain Picard?" type of thing; just a lot of opinion. At the present I am leaning towards a v-drive just because I find a jet to look rather ugly hanging off the back, but I am hoping I could get info on pros/cons such as acceleration, top speed, durability, cost of repairs, handling, manueuverability, etc. I've got all the other toys that a guy needs (fast car, sportbike, snowmobile, atv) but I still need a boat.
Neither....Buy an outboard.

superdave013
11-22-2005, 10:56 AM
well I just love the v drive deals. I love every thing about them. The way they handle and track is second to non.
But I see you are up in Canada. I don't know anything about your area. But those beer can jet boats I see from up there look like the ticket to me. I think running those shollow rivers and jumping those beaver dams would be to much fun.

scottwizer
11-22-2005, 11:07 AM
I have found that both choices can be good, although I am a little partial to v-drives. I would have to say that a jet can be a good first boat in that their initial cost is cheaper and they are a little easier to drive, especially in rough water. The ride can also be better in that rougher water. I would say jets are very durable and manuver quite well. The top speed isn't always as fast as a prop driven boat, of course that all depends on what you are running for power... I am not too sure on what parts run for a jet pump...
On the other hand, v-drives are a great boat as well. Flatbottoms take some getting used to as they do ride rougher, hence the flatbottom. They are a little trickier to drive in the rough water and also at top speed. It can get a little spooky if you push the boat to its limits. I have found the top speed to be quite a bit more when I have raced friends with a comparable motor set up. I have also found the v-drive to be very dependable and have never had to do any major work to one. Although you do have to watch running in shallower water or running near land due to the underwater gear. I would say that a flatbottom (not a circle runner) does not handle probably as well as a jet, but they can hold their own. Lastly I would have to say that a v-drive is more fuel efficient. I have been up to lake many times where I am running along at 2800 rpms and my buddies are running in the neighborhood of 3200 rpms to keep up. That in turn relates to more fuel comsumption. I usually burn 10 gallons on a normal lake trip, and my friends will burn around twice that in a normal day.
I have to say I definatly like the v-drives better... but the choice is all yours.

dmontzsta
11-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Here we goooooo..............

vdriver4ever
11-22-2005, 01:27 PM
# 1 reason to by a v-drive boat?
You will be cool and get to hang out with us here on the board...hehe

SnoopJonnyJon
11-22-2005, 02:37 PM
http://sk.forsaleforrent.com/classifieds/CPViewItem.asp?ID=1570
I went to look at this boat just the other day. It was in pretty rough shape. A piston broke off at the wristpin and the connecting rod put about a 1/2 inch deep groove in the block. Paint and interior was getting pretty bad too. I think I would have picked it up if it were around 2K... but 7K seemed like way too much for a boat with basically no engine, and in need of paint, interior, and the trailer was bad too. There are just so few cool boats around here (Saskatchewan) that when someone has one he figures its worth its weight in gold. It seems as though all the deals are in california and arizona. I should really make a trip down with my semi and pick up a VW sand rail and lowrider impala while i am at it :idea:
As for the guy suggesting i get an outboard, that's what my old man thinks I should do too. I wouldn't be adverse to say a 19ft Daytona Eliminator with a 300 evinrude... but they certainly don't have the visual appeal (or sound) of a big block out in the open.
"But I see you are up in Canada. I don't know anything about your area. But those beer can jet boats I see from up there look like the ticket to me. I think running those shollow rivers and jumping those beaver dams would be to much fun."
I'm actually from a farm just on the other side of the Montana border, but am up in Saskatoon for university. At home there is basically no where at all to go boating, hence my ignorance about boats. There are only a couple lakes within an hours drive, and have pretty filthy water. My plan has been to drive up to lakes in the Canadian Shield, which is about a 9hr drive from our farm, so I would likely only use it a couple times a year. Almost as important as the actual function of it would be the aspect of having it to look at and work on in my shop in the winter.

SnoopJonnyJon
11-22-2005, 02:59 PM
:) Here is another way to help you along in your decision:
1. A v-drive flat will always be worth more than a flat jet boat.
2. The v-drive will always look cooler.
3. Your friends will envy you more if you have a v-drive rather than a squirt gun.
4. Alot more people are more interested in a hot v-drive than a jet boat.(even though a few are pretty cool).
5. We encourage you to get a v-drive :)
6. You'll get lots of good advice.
7. Most x v-drives have some sort of racing history.
8. It'll cost you more to build the v-drive, but........
9. boat= break out another thousand. :)
10. You'll be glad you bought the v-drive
We have 3 of them in our family, 2 Schiada 21's and a 18' Schiada flatbottom in restoration as we speak.
Scott
I can certainly see that a v-drive boat as a whole would be worth more to buy than a jet... but why would it cost more to do the build up? It seems to me that the v-drive gearbox is a simpler design than that of a jet?

rrrr
11-22-2005, 03:03 PM
V-drive, babee......
First time I drove mine was after the resto/rebuild and it was like "Hoooooly Shiiiiiit!!!!"
As you can see from the photo the experience was so scary my hair turned white..... :D :D
You just can't believe how much fun it is to drive a flattie.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/109trailer.jpg

dmontzsta
11-22-2005, 03:23 PM
V-drive, babee......
First time I drove mine was after the resto/rebuild and it was like "Hoooooly Shiiiiiit!!!!"
As you can see from the photo the experience was so scary my hair turned white..... :D :D
Thats a bitchen shot Ron.

SnoopJonnyJon
11-22-2005, 03:30 PM
I agree... very good looking shot. Beautiful boat.

Unchained
11-22-2005, 03:35 PM
I would say that the best situation is to have one of each and there are several guys on the boards here who do.
I have a jet boat and a pontoon boat with a 20 hp outboard when it runs so I just need one more. :rollside:
Take the time to go for a ride in one of each kind of boat.
Bribe someone for a ride if you have to.
Take a trip to the boat drags and see what runs quick there and what catches your attention.
Make your own decision. Otherwise everyone here including me has their own slant on what's best. :cool:
Good Luck

v-drive
11-22-2005, 03:39 PM
This past summer was the first time I was able to take my v-drive on a vacation. I had it the summer before but was to busy to to go on a vacation so I was stuck with a little time here and there. I have had them all, outboarbs, I/o's and I even owned a jet but these guys are right. there is nothing like sticking your foot in a v-drive. :cool: v-drive

SnoopJonnyJon
11-22-2005, 04:06 PM
I would say that the best situation is to have one of each and there are several guys on the boards here who do.
I have a jet boat and a pontoon boat with a 20 hp outboard when it runs so I just need one more. :rollside:
Take the time to go for a ride in one of each kind of boat.
Bribe someone for a ride if you have to.
Take a trip to the boat drags and see what runs quick there and what catches your attention.
Make your own decision. Otherwise everyone here including me has their own slant on what's best. :cool:
Good Luck
I like your idea of owning one of each, that's my kind of thinking. I got my first motorcycle when I was 10, and have 14 now. The variety is very diverse, including 2 Czech built Jawa's built in the 50's (don't know actual year since jawa let the dealer's stamp the year on the serial # plate so that dealers could sell old models as current year bikes, but these bikes never did get stamped), a '67 BSA 441 Victor, 74 Kawasaki Bighorn, several Husqvarna dirtbikes, and a few japanese dirtbikes, up to my daily rider ZX-6 Ninja. I've got a wide taste in cars too with a 1969 IH Scout, a '76 El Camino (not too crazy about the car, but it was a place to stick the 408 SBC I built up in shop class), '87 GTA Trans Am (mint, and all stock), and my 92 Ranger (stock except for rims, flame paint, and straight pipe exhaust). I probably eventually will own a couple different kinda of boats, either that or find a girlfriend that will prevent me from getting more toys, but to start with i am kinda leaning towards a flat bottom v-drive.

Kim Hanson
11-22-2005, 04:37 PM
I live in Lloydminster Alberta and if you want this summer, I can bring my Ob with 340 HP HST Hydrostream
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0902.jpg
and this Marlin V-Drive to see what the difference really is :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0960.jpg
You are like 5 hrs away, just need a Lake that they won't bitch about the noise, I got kicked off Candle Lake last year cause of speed and noise :p .......( . )( . ).......

Kim Hanson
11-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Go here I have lots of pictures that are bigger My Site (http://kimhanson1.tripod.com/kimhansonampmybreastfriendisbre/) .........( . )( . )........... :cool:

SnoopJonnyJon
11-22-2005, 05:00 PM
I live in Lloydminster Alberta and if you want this summer, I can bring my Ob with 340 HP HST Hydrostream
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0902.jpg
and this Marlin V-Drive to see what the difference really is :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0960.jpg
You are like 5 hrs away, just need a Lake that they won't bitch about the noise, I got kicked off Candle Lake last year cause of speed and noise :p .......( . )( . ).......
I will be there dude... when the time gets a little closer I will post an other thread. Just wondered if you happened to know Brendan Geall... i went to university with him and i know he was from Lloyd. I also know a whole shitload of Stang's from Macklin, I know the frequent the Kooler in Lloyd.

Kim Hanson
11-22-2005, 05:34 PM
I will be there dude... when the time gets a little closer I will post an other thread. Just wondered if you happened to know Brendan Geall... i went to university with him and i know he was from Lloyd. I also know a whole shitload of Stang's from Macklin, I know the frequent the Kooler in Lloyd.
Don't know the name Brendan Geall my daughters might though, 17, 18, 20! Maklin isn't it all Stangs that live there :p The Kooler is a big focking bar, holds like 500 people standing , not many tables and loud as hell!
My boats are well known around here, ask them they might know my daughters........( . )( . )........Name the place though and I will be there, this last summer I took on a 502 chev tunnel jet with my v-drive and in the 1/4 ! I spanked that thing good, nothing has come close to the OB yet! :cool:

Schiada76
11-22-2005, 05:58 PM
V-drive, babee......
Damnit! I just LOVE this boat. This pic doesn't do it justice either.

SnoopJonnyJon
11-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Don't know the name Brendan Geall my daughters might though, 17, 18, 20! Maklin isn't it all Stangs that live there :p The Kooler is a big focking bar, holds like 500 people standing , not many tables and loud as hell!
My boats are well known around here, ask them they might know my daughters........( . )( . )........Name the place though and I will be there, this last summer I took on a 502 chev tunnel jet with my v-drive and in the 1/4 ! I spanked that thing good, nothing has come close to the OB yet! :cool:
Holy crap... a couple pimp tight boats, AND 3 girls between 17 and 20. Now you know I'm gonna have to load up the Trans Am and make a trip. And yes Macklin is ALL Stang, all the time. Its basically like a Hutterite colony for Catholics :rolleyes:

SnoopJonnyJon
11-22-2005, 06:04 PM
The car in the background in that picture I attached is my friend Craig's 31 Chevy 5 window, can't really see it but he is running wide whitewall drag slicks and has since changed the air cleaner over to an early 50's Cadillac.

Kim Hanson
11-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Holy crap... a couple pimp tight boats, AND 3 girls between 17 and 20. Now you know I'm gonna have to load up the Trans Am and make a trip. And yes Macklin is ALL Stang, all the time. Its basically like a Hutterite colony for Catholics :rolleyes:
Way too funny, but so true :D :D The yellow car is tit's bra.........( . )( . )........

rrrr
11-22-2005, 06:48 PM
I like your idea of owning one of each, that's my kind of thinking. I got my first motorcycle when I was 10, and have 14 now. The variety is very diverse, including 2 Czech built Jawa's built in the 50's (don't know actual year since jawa let the dealer's stamp the year on the serial # plate so that dealers could sell old models as current year bikes, but these bikes never did get stamped), a '67 BSA 441 Victor, 74 Kawasaki Bighorn, several Husqvarna dirtbikes, and a few japanese dirtbikes, up to my daily rider ZX-6 Ninja. I've got a wide taste in cars too with a 1969 IH Scout, a '76 El Camino (not too crazy about the car, but it was a place to stick the 408 SBC I built up in shop class), '87 GTA Trans Am (mint, and all stock), and my 92 Ranger (stock except for rims, flame paint, and straight pipe exhaust). I probably eventually will own a couple different kinda of boats, either that or find a girlfriend that will prevent me from getting more toys, but to start with i am kinda leaning towards a flat bottom v-drive.
You got a Vic? Niiiiice. Gotta be kinda careful how you kick start them old Thumpers, they'll fight back..... :D :D

SnoopJonnyJon
11-22-2005, 07:02 PM
You got a Vic? Niiiiice. Gotta be kinda careful how you kick start them old Thumpers, they'll fight back..... :D :D
Oh man, i know it!!! I bought it from a guy fairly cheap because he said he just could rely on being able to start it.. he was using it to commute to work and he was consistently late. I believe he then went and bought a 77 750 bonneville. It's a 1967 Victor Roadster, (a UK model, not an american import) Its very similar to the 441 shooting star, except it has the square barrel engine, while the shooting star had the round barrel. I've been planning to do a full resto on it. It's pretty decent, but could use a few details. The motor has been totally rebuilt with bigger cams and more compression (to make it even harder to kick) and runs very strong... in low gear at low rpm it likes to lift the front wheel a half inch everytime it fires :rollside: . The only mechanical trouble is... you guessed it... the kickstarter. They always seemed to get damaged, and no one ever fixes them right.. Right now it's got what looks to be a BSA Bantam (125) kickstart on there which is shorter.. making kicking harder yet again. It also makes you have to hold your foot stupid which then rams your thigh into the oil tank cap (this was before they carried their oil in-frame like on the later brit bikes). If i have to kick it over more than a couple times, my leg will get a big green bruise the shape of the oil cap. I really like the bike though... It may not be fast like my Ninja... but there is something to be said for off idle torque.

rrrr
11-22-2005, 07:06 PM
That's a great looking bike, I love the Brit front fender with the tag plate..

rrrr
11-22-2005, 07:11 PM
I got kicked off Candle Lake last year cause of speed and noise :p .......( . )( . ).......
I believe I recall reading over in Bench Racers that the real reason you got tossed was for attempting to have sex with a moose while drunk. :crossx: :220v: :crossx:

÷קmᮆښ×÷
11-22-2005, 07:23 PM
I believe I recall reading over in Bench Racers that the real reason you got tossed was for attempting to have sex with a moose while drunk. :crossx: :220v: :crossx:
lmfao ...........................

dmontzsta
11-22-2005, 07:43 PM
LMAO

olbiezer
11-22-2005, 08:22 PM
i heard the moose was drunk...had to be to have consentual sex with kim!!!!!!

olbiezer
11-22-2005, 08:55 PM
BULLITEN BULLITTEN BULLITTEN..........bad news was recived by this reporter from candle lake today........THE MOOSE COMITTED SUSICIDE..........unable to live with the other wild anamals after news got out about haveing sex with kim..........kim is still refusing to return numerious calls from this reporter and the mooses family!!!! canidian mounted police are investigating and an arest may follow according to constable dudly doright!!!!!! coments from nell and dorights horse can be sumed up with few words " i'll never turn my back on that kim guy again!" film at 11

Squirtin Thunder
11-22-2005, 09:01 PM
BULLITEN BULLITTEN BULLITTEN..........bad news was recived by this reporter from candle lake today........THE MOOSE COMITTED SUSICIDE..........unable to live with the other wild anamals after news got out about haveing sex with kim..........kim is still refusing to return numerious calls from this reporter and the mooses family!!!! canidian mounted police are investigating and an arest may follow according to constable dudly doright!!!!!! coments from nell and dorights horse can be sumed up with few words " i'll never turn my back on that kim guy again!" film at 11
Kimmy is just lucky it was not a Polar Bear because they can track up down from 20 miles away and punch a hole in 3' on ice/snow.

SnoopJonnyJon
11-22-2005, 09:16 PM
That's a great looking bike, I love the Brit front fender with the tag plate..
It was missing that number plate when i bought it so i made one. I cut out the shape from sheet steel, then slit a piece of small copper tubing which i rolled over the sheet and then soldered in place. It came out looking better than a factory piece. I plan to get "B44VR" numbered on it when I get the bike painted. I plan to paint it british racing green with some gold pinstriping and a small union jack on each side panel. Another tidbit you may find interesting is that the serial number is B44VR00001, making it the first Victor Roadster made in 67. There are a few incorrect and missing pieces on it, but the great thing about these old british bikes is that just about every part was interchangeable between BSA, Triumph and Norton, so it's not hard to find parts. I've found it to be much, much, much easier to find parts for this bike than for my '70's and 80's Japanese stuff.
I would also like to note that its very rare for us Canadians to have sex with moose. White tail deer are far more likely to be caught "presenting". But even then, it takes a very fine deer indeed to compete with our attractive cousins.

rrrr
11-22-2005, 09:53 PM
I would also like to note that its very rare for us Canadians to have sex with moose. White tail deer are far more likely to be caught "presenting". But even then, it takes a very fine deer indeed to compete with our attractive cousins.
You would have to know Kim...... :D
Just visit Bench Racers for the ugly truth, it's like watching Jerry Springer....
BTW I attended a party for my wife's aunt and uncle in August in Rapid City, SD. Guy that threw the party had over thirty unrestored vintage bikes in his garage, Norton, Triumph, BSA, Moto Guzzi, Honda 160 and 305s, BMW......
During the party I didn't spend much time anywhere else but the garage. Unbelievable collection. He had a Thumper with the chrome tank panels, man what a bike.
Nice SN on your bike.

SoCalKev
11-22-2005, 09:56 PM
well I just love the v drive deals. I love every thing about them. The way they handle and track is second to non.
But I see you are up in Canada. I don't know anything about your area. But those beer can jet boats I see from up there look like the ticket to me. I think running those shollow rivers and jumping those beaver dams would be to much fun.
+11tybillion

SnoopJonnyJon
11-22-2005, 11:04 PM
I did as you said and checked out Bench Racers and went through that thread dedicated to making fun of him. The funniest part of it is that I can actually follow pretty much everything he says in there. I got a kick out of the reading it aloud in an arabic accent. Since I started engineering I can hardly remember what a caucasian sounds like, haha. Anyways, after reading that thread, i feel i should be safe in posting a link to this video:
http://www.blennus.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=828&Itemid=

rrrr
11-23-2005, 08:11 AM
http://www.blennus.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=828&Itemid=
That's funny. :D :D
I worked with an EE from Pakistan on a project a few years back and had to speak to him in person or email to get anything done. On the telephone it was impossible to understand even monosyllable words the guy spoke.

Sangerboy
11-23-2005, 09:38 AM
I suppose that Kim was the one cited for being too fast, I'm just curious whether it was the moose or Kim that was cited for too much noise? Umm..... ...............after thinking about it for half a second I'm not that curious anymore :rolleyes:

SnoopJonnyJon
11-24-2005, 09:35 AM
I was looking through my old issues Of HOT ROD and came across an article on jet boats in the July 1964 issue. In the article it says jets have superior low speed docking since no forward motion is needed for turning, and says that jets have better straight line stability. It also says a prop driven boat will be typically 5mph faster on the top end.
Another thing i was wondering about was if using a transmission would make any sense in a v-drive. The '69 Belmont I looked at last week ran a 455 hooked directly to the v-drive, but it looked like there would be plenty of room to put in a powerglide... maybe even a TH350 or a 700R4. Would the extra gears actually provide any extra acceleration or would the extra weight negate any torque increases. Also wondered if the reverse gear would actually be of much use in practice.