03-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Anyone have a 427 or 428 Ford they want to sell? :D

lovemyultra
03-15-2003, 11:58 AM
I wish you needed a 460 I have a real good one

MikeF
03-15-2003, 05:23 PM
BradP:
Anyone have a 427 or 428 Ford they want to sell? :D If you find a 427 make sure you get it sonic checked! Notoriously THIN! eek!

Kindsvater Flat
03-15-2003, 07:35 PM
BradP:
Anyone have a 427 or 428 Ford they want to sell? :D We have 2 tunnel port 427's and a medium riser but there is no way we would ever part with them. :D

Craig
03-16-2003, 07:45 AM
Here's what ya' need. Brand new aluminum FE block from Mr. Shelby :D midmagic aka csx4266 has one of these babies at 480 cubes in a continuation series Cobra! Fun ride!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/140427block.jpg
[ March 16, 2003, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

GofastRacer
03-16-2003, 08:03 AM
What does Mr Shelby get for one of them babys??. eek! eek! :D

Craig
03-16-2003, 09:22 AM
$5150.00, I guess given it's not as common as a Chevy, it's not really that bad given all the improvements they've added in and especially if you're a die hard Ford FE fan. Of course you have to throw in the required Shelby head studs for $350. And what the hell, might as well pony up $2700 for a billet crankshaft, $2175 for aluminum heads :D Hell they'll even drill the block for the proper oil drain back holes so you can bolt on that set of SOHC heads you probably have sitting on the shelf!

03-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Or you can wait for Genesis to run another batch of FE iron blocks. The first batch was spoken for before they were even cast. They should have another batch ready in the next couple of months.

Craig
03-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Who's this Genesis?

playdeep
03-16-2003, 02:00 PM
A few weeks ago a friend of mine (NMDCB)and I were at Max Machine works in Havasu..
They had body jig and were building aluminium bodies for the continuation Shelby Cobras the workmanship was amazing...

GofastRacer
03-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Craig:
$5150.00, I guess given it's not as common as a Chevy, it's not really that bad given all the improvements they've added in and especially if you're a die hard Ford FE fan. Of course you have to throw in the required Shelby head studs for $350. And what the hell, might as well pony up $2700 for a billet crankshaft, $2175 for aluminum heads :D Hell they'll even drill the block for the proper oil drain back holes so you can bolt on that set of SOHC heads you probably have sitting on the shelf! Always loved those FE's, built quite a few of them!, too bad this new stuff costs so much, sure would be cool to to have an injected Cammer in a boat!.. :cool: :cool: :cool:

03-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Craig:
Who's this Genesis? Genesis is a co. that has reproduced the 427 Sideoiler in iron, sold out the 1st production run and starting another with more improvements on top of the improvements made to the orig. S.O. Stronger/thicker cylinders [able to take bigger bores] more material where the orig. block needed in the crank bulkhead, even improved the oiling. Blocks ready to build sell for about 3K from what I've heard.

rrrr
03-16-2003, 06:47 PM
I have a Holman Moody low riser, still standard bore... Completely stock, all the good stuff, dual quads and so on. Don't wanna sell it, just like bragging a little. :D

Kindsvater Flat
03-16-2003, 07:11 PM
http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/folder/pics/galaxie1.jpg

Craig
03-16-2003, 07:12 PM
TEASE :p

Kindsvater Flat
03-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Craig:
TEASE :p That was a fun car to build..

MikeF
03-16-2003, 08:15 PM
Not injected....still a cammer circle boat :D .
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/1531_4-med.jpg

Craig
03-16-2003, 08:31 PM
KF, what kind of car was that?
MikeF, is that your boat? I always heard the cammer was a bitch to keep timed due to the excessive length of the cam timing chain? Still a bad looking motor. Shame Ford didn't stick it in something "production" to see what it would have done on the high banks :D
Craig

MikeF
03-16-2003, 08:40 PM
Well no :rolleyes: , But it would not be a bad one to add to the stable wink !
I found the pic in an old HBmag and scanned it...cause it was cool :D !

GofastRacer
03-17-2003, 06:59 AM
MikeF:
Not injected....still a cammer circle boat :D .
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/1531_4-med.jpg Cool boat, dig that H/M scoop!.. :cool: :cool:

GofastRacer
03-17-2003, 07:20 AM
In case anyone's interested, here's a little history lesson!. :cool:
Cammer (http://medlem.spray.se/hallo2/engines/engines.htm)

GofastRacer
03-17-2003, 07:27 AM
Craig:
KF, what kind of car was that?
MikeF, is that your boat? I always heard the cammer was a bitch to keep timed due to the excessive length of the cam timing chain? Still a bad looking motor. Shame Ford didn't stick it in something "production" to see what it would have done on the high banks :D
Craig They weren't hard to keep timed, they were just a pain in the ass to degree them in!. This was the cool setup!.. :cool: :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12Cammer.jpg

Craig
03-17-2003, 08:11 AM
Was that belt drive a Ford thing? I thought they used something like a 6 foot timing chain! Isn't that a Cross Boss intake?

GofastRacer
03-17-2003, 09:09 AM
No, that is not a Ford dealio, pisses me off I can't remember who designed that :mad: , maybe 058 would know!. That intake is a dual quad with an adaptor for an Autolite!. Here's what that six foot chain looks like!.. eek!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12Cammer_Chains-med.jpg

Craig
03-17-2003, 09:32 AM
Now That's a timing chain eek! Here's a web page with a couple more pics.
http://www.geocities.com/infieldg/v8gallery.html

Schiada76
03-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Hey WTF? I post a wanted ad and you guys hijack it and turn it into a cammer thread.........COOL!
I'm surprised slowpoke hasn't jumped in with his cammer info. :D :D

slowpoke
03-17-2003, 10:49 AM
Hey Brad,
Would that be a digital cammer or an SLR??
I don't know much about either. Still learning.

GofastRacer
03-17-2003, 11:10 AM
I guess he did!.. :D :D

GofastRacer
03-17-2003, 11:11 AM
BradP:
Hey WTF? I post a wanted ad and you guys hijack it and turn it into a cammer thread.........COOL!
I'm surprised slowpoke hasn't jumped in with his cammer info. :D :D Hey, had to spice it up ya know!!... wink :D :D
BTW, I ain't got any of those and if I did, I wouldn't sell em either!!... :D :D :D
[ March 17, 2003, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

GofastRacer
03-17-2003, 11:12 AM
This could be a long thread too!.. :) :D

Craig
03-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Brad the SOHC was based on the 427 block, so technically, we're helping expand your possibilities :D
[ March 17, 2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

Schiada76
03-17-2003, 02:24 PM
slowpoke:
Hey Brad,
Would that be a digital cammer or an SLR??
I don't know much about either. Still learning. Do dat be duhs ebonics?

slowpoke
03-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Brad
I think I've got it. You mean one of those
dueling camshaft motors yanking the long chain?
:D :D

old rigger
03-17-2003, 02:47 PM
There was a guy at the Long Beach swapmeet last year with a cammer for sale. The block was covered in cosmoline (sp?) as was the crank, rods, etc. The heads and everything that goes with them were in 2 other boxes and he said that none of it had ever been assembled. He wanted 10 Gs for the whole thing and I think he would have split the deal up if someone wanted just the heads and all the hardware that went with them. I don't think he sold it that day, but I've never seen him there again so who knows.
It was amazing to see one all apart like that. Lots and lots of pieces to that thing.

Schiada76
03-17-2003, 03:22 PM
slowpoke:
Brad
I think I've got it. You mean one of those
dueling camshaft motors yanking the long chain?
:D :D Yup definately some chain yanking going on around here.
And to think I started this thread trying to find a motor for DOD's buddy's Cobra. He told me yeterday the Walrus or one of his friends has one. :D

03-17-2003, 03:24 PM
I don't remember who made the belt drive but it was done some time in the 80s. I do remember Milodon had a gear drive for the cammer....with lots of gears. Ron Miller [Ford Power Parts]Had a belt drive, twin turbo, injected cammer for sale at Knotts Berry Farm a couple of years ago, was asking 25K, no sale. That deal O.R. found at the swap meet was ahellofadeal 10K, all new stuff...cool. Once the tuning was figured out it wasn't hard to make those things work, one trick was to retard the lead cam 4 deg and advance the following cam 4 deg and with the slack in the chain would get them straight up. The engines were rated at 616 hp @ 7000 rpm for the single 4 bbl and 657 hp @ 7000 for the 2 x 4 setup. They accually made more hp at a higher rpm but Ford didn't think it was nessessary or prudent to advertise more hp for a so-called "production" engine. The few that were run in T/F [Don Prudhomme, Pete Robinson and Connie Kalitta] ran great but between round maintance was horrible when the cams needed to be retimed every time the heads came off. But they did set a few T/F records in the couple of years they were run. Truly a remarkable engine.

slowpoke
03-17-2003, 04:20 PM
I'm not really a cammer historian but in '65
guys like Gas Ronda, Hubert Platt and Les Richey
were running them in Mustangs. Don Nicholson,
Jack Chrisman, and Fast Eddie Schartman were running them in Comets. These boys were putting a real hurt on the hemi folks in the
AA Factory Experimental classes. I believe Connie
Kallita in his cammer fueler was the first to go

GofastRacer
03-17-2003, 06:23 PM
058:
I don't remember who made the belt drive but it was done some time in the 80s. I do remember Milodon had a gear drive for the cammer....with lots of gears. Ron Miller [Ford Power Parts]Had a belt drive, twin turbo, injected cammer for sale at Knotts Berry Farm a couple of years ago, was asking 25K, no sale. That deal O.R. found at the swap meet was ahellofadeal 10K, all new stuff...cool. Once the tuning was figured out it wasn't hard to make those things work, one trick was to retard the lead cam 4 deg and advance the following cam 4 deg and with the slack in the chain would get them straight up. The engines were rated at 616 hp @ 7000 rpm for the single 4 bbl and 657 hp @ 7000 for the 2 x 4 setup. They accually made more hp at a higher rpm but Ford didn't think it was nessessary or prudent to advertise more hp for a so-called "production" engine. The few that were run in T/F [Don Prudhomme, Pete Robinson and Connie Kalitta] ran great but between round maintance was horrible when the cams needed to be retimed every time the heads came off. But they did set a few T/F records in the couple of years they were run. Truly a remarkable engine. Yep, I remember when we were running at Orange County back in the 80's, these guys came out with a front motor digger with that belt drive, it was very impressive, they said it was so easy to time the cams and a lot less weight..
After NASCAR made that motor illegal, they went for the Le Mans circuit. They flat kicked ass on everyone but the problem they had was, nobody made a transaxle that would hold up to the torque the Cammer put out so they always ended up breaking before the race ended, finally they just gave up on it!.. :rolleyes:

Craig
03-18-2003, 03:53 AM
If I recall a guy from back east in the mid 80's, Kurt Neighbors, or something like that, ran one in a Blown Alcohol Funny car for a while. Got close but never quite there. I think NHRA ended up making the OHC designs illegal in that class. Too bad, it was cool to see something different in the class.
[ March 18, 2003, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

GofastRacer
03-18-2003, 07:15 AM
Seems like I recall that, and I think the reason they banned it is because Ford was the ony one with OVHC motor and everybody pissed and moaned about it!. :confused:

Blown 472
03-18-2003, 07:39 AM
Didn't Berstien run or try a megee dual overhead cammed motor in his funny car for awhile??
And speaking of dual overhead cams, the 4.6L in my lincoln kicks ass, not much on the bottom end but once you get those four valves per cylinder moving air, hold on. eek!
[ March 18, 2003, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Blown 472 ]

Craig
03-18-2003, 10:03 AM
I thought they banned the cammers in the alcohol classes because of the McGee. Given the lack of performance the Ford SOHC showed in that last try, I don't think too many guys would bitch, but you never know :D As for Berstein, I recall Dale Armstrong was a real fan of that McGee, but they couldn't keep from burning exhaust valves. In "theory" you always read that a turbo'd DOHC motor should make so much more power, but nobody has the time and big money to really work one out. The archaic pushrod motor and a roots blower just keep cranking out horsepower. Reme,ber the twin tirbo fueler Gale Banks tried about 15 years ago?
[ March 18, 2003, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

03-18-2003, 11:08 AM
One reason turbos don't work well in drag racing [besides turbo lag, more on that later] Many years ago NHRA has "discouraged" the use of turbos by limiting different aspects or specifications of the turbo, such as intake opening size, compressor size or shape..ect. because they kill noise and take away from the drag racing experence to the spectator, afterall who wants to hear quiet top Fuelers? I am referring to Pro classes, not sportsman classes where mufflers are now required. The turbo lag has since been overcome by new types of fuel injection [electronic] and ways to load the engine to build boost. I think NHRA also requires only 2 valves per cyl. and pushrods for fuel, pro stock and alcohol classes. NHRA discourages the use of anything deemed "different" George and Rick Santos used to run a 377" SBC in a TAD and NHRA re-wrote the rules that all alcohol dragsters had to weigh min. 1950 lbs. That eliminated them from competition as that forced them to add over 200lbs to their car.

Blown 472
03-18-2003, 11:34 AM
That small block alky car kicked alot of big motor ass.

Craig
03-18-2003, 12:44 PM
That was one of the things I liked about the alcohol dragsters back then, diversity. You had your standard blown hemi. Then, the small block Chevy, nitro injected big blocks, nitrous oxide and even twin motors! At least the A/FD are still in there.