PDA

View Full Version : Problem with460 ford, need help desperately!

76 Sleekcraft
09-23-2002, 03:36 AM
My 460 in my jet is blowing oil out from around the distributor. I have replaced the o ring. I have checked and replaced the pcv valve. Am I running too much oil? It is blasting out at wot.
I cant run the boat long, because the oil is all over everything! This is the first ford big block I have had, and It has done it every time I have taken it out. I am at the end of my rope! DO i need to run less oil? Silicone around the distributor? What gives? Please help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance :confused:

Blown 472
09-23-2002, 04:26 AM
any chance it is coming out the dipstick?

76 Sleekcraft
09-23-2002, 06:55 AM
Blown 472:
any chance it is coming out the dipstick?Should have stated, I replaced the dipstick, this one's got a rubber grommet in the cap.
I could see oil coming up from under the distributor hold down bracket in like a little fountain.
Could it be that I should run only 4 quarts of oil instead of 5? The dipstick is showing below full.

spectras only
09-23-2002, 09:39 AM
Sleekcraft,You could put a thin gasket under the flange with rtv silicone .Maybe the "o" ring is too small to seal properly.Try a fatter "o" ring + gasket. Pull the pcv valve and shake it.It should rattle.If it isn't, just replace it.
[ September 23, 2002, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

76 Sleekcraft
09-25-2002, 04:01 AM
I may possibly have found the problem.
I had put on new valve covers prior to ever running this boat. Last night, I discovered that the push in breather on the valve cover was almost completely closed! This could be a major problem with the thing building pressure.
Its back to the lake for one more test run.