PDA

View Full Version : Well I might be gone soon ....

FMluvswater
11-23-2005, 01:02 AM
and who knows for how long. My computer has crashed on me 6 times in the past hour. It's becoming an increasingly frequent occurence. I posted about it last night on Tom Coyote website and I'm awaiting an analysis of my HiJackThis log to rule out malware. Fat lot of good that'll do me if I can't get online to find out - there's an estimated wait time of 5+ days. :D All my scans come up clean. Firefox browser crashes on me frequently as well as my computer suddenly restarting; and that's a guaranteed occurence if I attempt to run Spybot. Happened again when I first tried to post this. All my protection programs are up to date. All my Windows critical updates are installed. No idea what's causing all this so I just wanted to post and say yeah umm Merry Christmas everybody and have a Happy New Year too :D ... you know ... just in case. :D If it's broke well I'll figure something out and I'll be back eventually. I gotta laugh right now cuz people are looking but I sure have put the f bomb to good use tonight let me tell you. I'm so pissed off I'm smiling ... make of that what you will. TTFN!

Rexone
11-23-2005, 01:06 AM
I assume you have XP. Can you restore to a point prior to this occurance?

KLEPTOW
11-23-2005, 01:20 AM
If you are trying to rule out hardware versus softeware you can boot-up with boot disk and replace your system file, it takes you back to original config.

FMluvswater
11-23-2005, 03:56 AM
I assume you have XP. Can you restore to a point prior to this occurance?
No can do, Mike. It was crashing (albeit less frequently) even before the reformat and re-install. It's not been smooth sailing at any point since the reinstall.
KLEPTOW - I'm not an advanced enough computer user to grasp how to do what you suggest. Maybe if I send it in to a shop they will see to that. Thanks just the same.

DelawareDave
11-23-2005, 04:35 AM
A suggestion for Win 2000 and XP, any version: Go to Start- Settings- Control Panel- System- Advanced Tab- Startup and Recovery- In the "System Failure" area: Make sure there is NO Checkmark in the box that says "Auto Reboot". Then OK at every window till you are back to the desktop. It is difficult to diagnose problems if the machine keeps re-starting. The check is the Windows default setting.

FMluvswater
11-23-2005, 05:21 AM
Wow. Thanks DelawareDave. I did as you suggested. I also heard back from Tom Coyote website. My log was clean. :cool: I was advised to increase my virtual memory to 1.5 times or greater my total RAM and I did that also (it was already at 1.5 so I upped it to 2x). Techy guy said to increase it to as much as three times total RAM and then to increase the maximum parameter if the crashes keep happening. Gots my fingers crossed this does the trick. :clover:
Edit: It crashed again. :notam: Bad Pool caller. Whatever the hell that means. I upped the memory to 2.5x.

mike37
11-23-2005, 06:21 AM
clean the dust out of your PC and get a new processor fan

FMluvswater
11-23-2005, 06:26 AM
I'm not qualified to open my puter tower. :220v: Another CPU fan again already? Damn. :( I bet it'd help. Guess my baby is going in to the puter doctor to get a physical and a few tweaks and adjustments.

dicudmore
11-23-2005, 07:27 AM
hope you get it taken care of FM. we love havin' ya around :cool:

SummitKarl
11-23-2005, 07:39 AM
sound advice right there

Infomaniac
11-23-2005, 07:44 AM
Well for those never gonna happen Fido Mom naked pics. I will fix you up. Maybe they are gonna happen now?

FMluvswater
11-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Well for those never gonna happen Fido Mom naked pics. I will fix you up. Maybe they are gonna happen now?
No. :D Thanks anyway, HON. :D
I thought things had improved but a few minutes ago when I came here to play catch up on new threads/replies my mouse disappeared and my keyboard froze had to press restart anyway so I'm no further afterall.

Tom Brown
11-23-2005, 03:14 PM
To see if you're overheating, download and install Motherboard Monitor. It is an excellent utility that will tell you all of your temps and fan speeds (if you have strobed fans).
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7309,RSS,RSS,00.asp
Your problem could easily be hardware related. I would have a close look at the capacitors close to the CPU (voltage regulator caps) and see if they are swollen.

hoolign
11-23-2005, 03:15 PM
I'm not qualified to open my puter tower. :220v: Another CPU fan again already? Damn. :( I bet it'd help. Guess my baby is going in to the puter doctor to get a physical and a few tweaks and adjustments.
Don't listen to any of these people...what you do is grab the vacumm....er....ahh nevermind.. :rollside:

ROZ
11-23-2005, 03:18 PM
see if they are swollen.
Check what ? :D

Tom Brown
11-23-2005, 03:19 PM
CTSO: http://badcaps.net/

hoolign
11-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Check what ? :D
The labiatronic depuffer button :rollside:

FMluvswater
11-23-2005, 03:31 PM
To see if you're overheating, download and install Motherboard Monitor. It is an excellent utility that will tell you all of your temps and fan speeds (if you have strobed fans).
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7309,RSS,RSS,00.asp
Your problem could easily be hardware related. I would have a close look at the capacitors close to the CPU (voltage regulator caps) and see if they are swollen.
Smartass brat. :p What the f-bomb would I know about capacitors? :D The other I will check into, thank-you, Tom (strobed fans? oh yeah of course strobed fans I sooo know what that means too. :( ).

FMluvswater
11-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Well that was fun ... my firewall just experienced an error and had to shut down on me. I immediately pressed pause on my cable modem and restarted my firewall. Then the mouse and keyboard were doing delayed response of more than 10 seconds. Had to hit restart again. No malware but everything is flaking out on me. :cry:

FMluvswater
11-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Hey Tom that MotherBoard Monitor looked good and all but in the config wizard it didn't even list my motherboard in the supported list and so the censor readings are at 0*C - somehow I really think that is inaccurate. My MB is Elitegroup ECS K7FSB 333 SiS 741GM-X . Should I just uninstall MBM? :confused:

Rod-64
11-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Drive to the U.S. and catch the 7-11 Wal-Mart Sales on Friday.........killer computer prices. :D
Sorry 'bout that........what I know about computers you could put in a thimble. :(

FMluvswater
11-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Drive to the U.S. and catch the 7-11 Wal-Mart Sales on Friday.........killer computer prices. :D
Sorry 'bout that........what I know about computers you could put in a thimble. :(
Go get me one, 'k?! :D Then mail it to me and I'll reimburse you .... someday! :wink::D