PDA

View Full Version : Need help wiring a prestolite alternator from rex Marine

elimination
06-22-2003, 11:57 AM
I just bought the direct drive alternator from rex and it came with no wiring diagrams, I was wondering if anyone knew about these. There are a few different places that are labled and I am unsure if this is a one wire setup or if a ground is necessary. The alt. is labled EXC, AC TAP, and POS. There are other lables for reg. and negative and such but I need to know if this needs a seperate ground or what?Any help would be appreciated. :)

Jet Junk
06-22-2003, 12:52 PM
The post marked exc. is the turn on wire. It should have power when the ignition is in the run position. The post marked pos. is for the main charge wire going back to the battery or starter or a junction block. You do not need to use any of the other posts or use a seperate ground. The other posts are there for the regulator that mounts to the back of the case.

mickeyfinn
06-22-2003, 02:38 PM
The POS terminal is for if you are putting it in a JET. It stands for Piece of Shit. It makes the alternator put out more power so the stereo will work.
J/K guys.....saw the opportunity and had to jump on it. :D :D :D

NOTALENT
06-23-2003, 02:45 PM
I work for a company called Pacific Alternator and Starter. We Reman any type of either product. Marine or heavy duty and build custom units for high output. If you give me the core number I will trace it down for you and try to get the wire diagram for you. And if anyone else needs something let me know. Later.

Thunderbutt
06-23-2003, 03:49 PM
mickeyfinn:
The POS terminal is for if you are putting it in a JET. It stands for Piece of Shit. It makes the alternator put out more power so the stereo will work.
J/K guys.....saw the opportunity and had to jump on it. :D :D :D You have had to many Mickeyfinn's. I don't think you know what that means.

Rexone
06-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Jet Junk hit it on the money. Just give a call or PM if you need any assistance. :)

elimination
06-24-2003, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the help jet junk and everyone else that offered assistance, it's wired and working great. I'd rather ask than ruin something that they should send the vaseline complimentary with every order...lol