PDA

View Full Version : Finally got the Stevens home

roostwear
05-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Towed it from San Dimas to Anaheim on (gotta be) 20 year old trailer tires. Got it home and started tearing into it.
http://www.roostwear.com/email/stevens8.jpg
What I KNOW it's gonna need:
Complete rebuild on the motor....frozen with a nice milkshake in the pan.
At LEAST bowl bushings and a detail on the impeller. JA-B
New interior.
Shitload of trailer work
The cool thing is, the crappy paint was shot over the original gel without any sanding! I managed to chip away this much in about 1 1/2 hrs. It'll be interesting to see it completely stripped.
http://www.roostwear.com/email/stevens10.jpg

Wicked Performance Boats
05-14-2006, 06:51 PM
My neighbor Has one just like it with a 401 nailhead in it. Budlight

Boatcop
05-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Interesting, with the cav plates. I wonder if it started life as a V-drive?

Wicked Performance Boats
05-14-2006, 07:27 PM
I don't think so. My neighbors is the same way. I think because the nozzle doesn't stick out. They are meant for trimming. BL

raisinL
05-14-2006, 07:28 PM
What year is that?

roostwear
05-14-2006, 07:35 PM
It's a 69, and as I understand it, the only hulls Stevens had at the time were the flats for their v-drives. All the hardware is Edelbrock v-drive hardware adapted for a jet.

Wicked Performance Boats
05-14-2006, 07:46 PM
I think my neighbors is a 1964 or 65 BL

dmontzsta
05-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Hopefully all the gel under the paint is that nice. I like that color and from the pics it looks like it is in good shape.

roostwear
05-15-2006, 05:58 PM
We have about half the paint stripped, and I think everyone will freak when they see this boat. There are actually 2 different metalflakes.... the bright gold, and the inset and deck has a gold and red metalflake. The bow will need a little repair as someone used it as a battering ram, but I think I can come up with a way to fix it and keep the original gel.
Started cleaning the floor, and the years of oil preserved it. When it's clean, the glass is shiny and clear. Now to find 2 5/8" gauges and have a bezel made to mount the Sun Super Tach in the cavern they cut to mount an Autometer 5" Comp. :hammer2:

roostwear
05-16-2006, 12:24 PM
It's about 3/4 stripped, but I thought I'd answer some people's question....why am I going through all this for that boat.
Here's what's underneath...:D
http://www.roostwear.com/email/stevens12.jpg
It needs a good colorsand and buff.....
http://www.roostwear.com/email/stevens13.jpg

Squirtcha?
05-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Looks like a diamond in the rough Mike. Anxious to see it when you're done.

dmontzsta
05-16-2006, 03:15 PM
That is really nice gel coat. It is going to look like it came straight out of the 60s when you are done stripping off that paint. :)

SmokinLowriderSS
05-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Congrats Roosterwear. Looks like you get some extra reward for all the effort you are about to put forth. It would be really cool to have it in it's orriginal livery. Something that classic should not look like it was gelled in the '90's.

Devilman
05-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Damn! Keep it up, Roostwear. That is awesome to uncover the original look of the boat. I wish I had it that easy. I found the original gel on my boat when I tore it down awhile back, getting the transom done. Green metalfkake with black striping! Even after all this time, I'm dying to know what lies beneath.... Keep the pics coming bro. Long live the flake! :crossx: :crossx: :rollside:

roostwear
05-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Finished stripping the top and sides..... just the bottom left. There are a few places that are less than perfect, but for 37 year old gel, I can't complain.... sure beats the lovely blue and white scheme. The problem with the gold is it really shows the spots than were sanded, so a little time with some 1500 grit and the polisher will be in order.
More pics tomorrow.....

roostwear
05-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Oh, and one more thing. From the looks of it, Old Rigger is right..... there looks like there was some kind of cover over the pump at one time.

bakerjet
05-16-2006, 08:02 PM
very cool i would never have that kind of luck :rollside:

roostwear
05-17-2006, 08:08 AM
After doing a few searches, it looks like what I have is a 18' Silhouette jet
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/151767s4.jpg

Jetdriver
05-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Come on Mike where are the latest pics buddy! :D

roostwear
05-17-2006, 08:21 AM
They'll be later today. I haven't dragged my butt out to start working on it this morning. I'll be working on stripping the bottom, and I'm REALLY looking forward to laying on my back scraping paint off the hull and into my face. :yuk:

Jetdriver
05-17-2006, 08:25 AM
They'll be later today. I haven't dragged my butt out to start working on it this morning. I'll be working on stripping the bottom, and I'm REALLY looking forward to laying on my back scraping paint off the hull and into my face. :yuk:
Do you have it off the "Trailer"?

CampbellCarl
05-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Roost
Was going to ask this as a 'smart-ass' question but now I really want to know........is the lever on the right side of the steering wheel (1st pic) for cav plates or reverse bucket? At first I thought it was kinda funny but the more I look, the more I like it!
Carl

roostwear
05-17-2006, 08:41 AM
If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were making fun of my trailer. :D No, it's still on the "trailer". I'll be pulling the engine and pump and will flip it to finish the bottom then.
I'll be keeping that trailer, but plan on a bit of rehab to bring it back. I'll be putting thhsidesteps back to original with teakwood slats. I'll be changing the wheels to 15x6 Cragar Street Pros (Halibrand knockoffs). I guess chrome reverse with baby moons would be more period correct, but I like the look of the Cragars more.

roostwear
05-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Roost
Was going to ask this as a 'smart-ass' question but now I really want to know........is the lever on the right side of the steering wheel (1st pic) for cav plates or reverse bucket? At first I thought it was kinda funny but the more I look, the more I like it!
Carl
Noticed that, huh? That is the lever for the reverse bucket. Kinda gives it that car feel doesn't it?

Jetdriver
05-17-2006, 08:45 AM
If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were making fun of my trailer. :D No, it's still on the "trailer". I'll be pulling the engine and pump and will flip it to finish the bottom then.
I'll be keeping that trailer, but plan on a bit of rehab to bring it back. I'll be putting thhsidesteps back to original with teakwood slats. I'll be changing the wheels to 15x6 Cragar Street Pros (Halibrand knockoffs). I guess chrome reverse with baby moons would be more period correct, but I like the look of the Cragars more.
No fun being made here :D You should see my trailer. LOL Well keep the pics coming I love stuff like this.

CampbellCarl
05-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Roost
Cool shifter and very cool old boat (since I run a '59 Campbell V-drive, you know I like oldies!) good luck on the project, I'll watch for it on the water. Do you run Lake Mohave or only river?
Carl

roostwear
05-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Just the river. This will be my Monday thru Friday boat. The brochure says 17" of freeboard, but I'll beleive it when I see it.
Finally got the engine freed up. A little water in one cylinder and 2 stuck valves.... I can spin it with the crank bolt now. Now it's time for a new starter.

Jetdriver
05-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Well I have been patient, so where's the pics???? :D

1978 Rogers
05-17-2006, 12:36 PM
I like it. That gel looks great. Nothing cooler than old metal flake, esecially gold. IMO it beats flames or the new paint schemes any day. I can't wait to see pics as it gets completed. How does the deck look? Thumbs up.

roostwear
05-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Here's today's pics. As I get further into this, I'm finding more flaws. I expected it, but was hoping it would all be perfect. Still can't figure out why the person who "prepped" it for paint used glazing putty (the green patches) the way they did, but whatever.I'll continue with this course till I'm finished.... hopefully the end result is acceptable. I spent the day mostly on the engine, but with surgery tomorrow, I'm moving a little slower and saving some energy.
You can see the splotchiness in the gold
http://www.roostwear.com/email/stevens20.jpg
Why did they half-ass sand it and use glazing putty?
http://www.roostwear.com/email/stevens22.jpg

Jetdriver
05-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Whats with the surgery??

roostwear
05-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Torn bicep, ligament and tendon damage.

Jetdriver
05-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Well good luck with that Mike. Cant wait to see more pics of your new ride there.

old rigger
05-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Torn bicep, ligament and tendon damage.
That's a hell of a lot of damage form scraping paint off an old boat. Good luck with the surgery.
I'm amazed at what you're finding under the paint. Great looking hull. Must have been beautiful when she was new. :)

roostwear
05-17-2006, 05:12 PM
I'd be happier if I could say it was from colorsanding, but it was something as simple as lifting a log into place after replacing an exhaust gasket. :cry:
Rich, if you look real close on the port side gunwale behind the engine, you'll see a hole with a circular pattern arround it and wear marks indicating a cover behind the engine. Now I just have to figure out what it looked like and how they held it on.

old rigger
05-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I think I said that I thought there was a cover back there at one time, but I don't see the hole you're talking about. I was thinking that the cover rested on the two little pieces of angle mounted on the bustle, on either side of that cutout, and maybe there was some other angles at one time mounted on each gunale. I thought maybe it looked similar to what was behind the rear seat and the window on an old vw bug. Remember when they use to do that, what did they call that thing? Anyway, it'd look nice and old school done in the same material you choose to go with on the seats.
That boat is BIG on the cool factor. Glad you picked it up, I'd like to swing by and take a look at it one day if you don't mind. Maybe when you're on the mend. :)

roostwear
05-17-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm thinking my schedule's open Monday and Tuesday (maybe more depending on what Doc winds up doing in there)

Boatcop
05-17-2006, 07:32 PM
I'd be happier if I could say it was from colorsanding, but it was something as simple as lifting a log into place after replacing an exhaust gasket. :cry:
Oh-Oh!
I've got to replace the stbd exhaust gasket on my olds. Maybe I should buy a chainfall. :D

roostwear
05-17-2006, 08:03 PM
One word of advice Alan.... if you're leaning over the gunwale (gunnel, gunale, wtf?) DON'T use it as leverage on the back of your arm!

old rigger
05-18-2006, 06:06 AM
One word of advice Alan.... if you're leaning over the gunwale (gunnel, gunale, wtf?) DON'T use it as leverage on the back of your arm!
lol, actually you're right with two of them,
gunwale, and gunnel.
I just hit the wrong keys....again. :)

roostwear
05-18-2006, 06:30 AM
And I thought my meds finally kicked in.....

bergen
05-18-2006, 07:01 AM
After doing a few searches, it looks like what I have is a 18' Silhouette jet
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/151767s4.jpg
gotta luv the descriptive brochures, with the back to back seating, and the deluxe upholstered tuck and roll, and the 18' ski hydro, dam i wish my hydro was sassy and had a boat full of go, very cool project roostwear, cant wait to see the sassy stevens finished. bergen

roostwear
05-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Well, today I replaced the starter and solenoid and jury rigged it so I could spin the motor (I'll be completely rewiring the boat, so no need to waste time on it now). Figured I'd do a compression test to see if it's worth even trying to fire the engine. In a nutshell, it's not. compression from 170 to 30 psi with most at 125. Might as well just yank it and get into it.
No more this weekend... off to the river to start rehabilitation :D