PDA

View Full Version : Melenoma, some fatal stuff;

Flying Tiger
11-25-2005, 02:12 AM
I've been dating a girl that works in the cancer field.
She's renown in her field. Told me she picked it because it's the most modern medicine, the most breakthroughs - the most interesting field. Always a fresh new treatment hitting the scene.
I had surgery from a well know Plastic Surgeon and he was impressed I showed up with such a class act. He knew all about her, and what a dope the TPC is.
Like anyone else, when she (frequently) comes over, I hear about her day.I'll get back to that.
She loves the sun and boating, but uses total blockout sunscreen, and coverups her awsum bod (except, get this, she does flash guys with her perky boobs).
Anyway,, she goes over me like monkeys picking fleas off each other at the zoo.
I'm very dark tan,, and shes searching for Melenoma signs.
"90% fatal, and that 10% survival is only if caught very early, and quick proper treatment at only a few places in the world that are on top of it" she tells me. Goes right into your system, heads for your brain,, you're a gonner.
She had a young Doctor as a patient and he passed away last week from Melenoma.
His wife crawled into bed with him his last few days at the hospital,,, really sad. A really good looking, great Doctor with a hell of a teriffic life and marriage.
I had no idea it was so fatal at 90%.
"The lighter blond/white or more red someones hair is,, seems the bigger chance of contracting it if they're outdoor active people" she tells me.
That simple.
But she has lots of success stories with other types of cancer.
"When I was a kid" I tell her,, "if ya got cancer or any type of heart problem, ya died."
"Not so much anymore,, thank goodness" she tells me.
She is the most patient, easy going, generous person I have ever met.
A kind heart like Melinee in Gone With The Wind. Acts & talks just like her, but much more erotic in her Louisiana accent and beautiful Swiss looks.
Gives her own blood to her patients too.
She took two weeks off from work, and stayed 100% at both sides of my bedside ( and slept next to me) during my recovery from surgery. My face looked like a soup sandwitch.
Took me to the Drs office for appointments, (my eyes were stitched shut), set her alarm every 2 hrs and got outta bed next to me to give me medicine and all the other gross stuff, feed me,, bath me, even crawled on top and did me a few times,,,,(ohhh it was soooo awsum).
With my outpatient care instructions, I had copies of all my bloodwork: no stds, no hep,, she took advantage of that and took me for a few rides.
This girl just might be a keeper,, she told me she's falling in love,,

Sleek-Jet
11-25-2005, 02:34 AM
That stuff is mad mojo for sure...
My mother has worked as a hospice nurse on several occasions. Once, she took care of a younger guy (early 30's maybe) with terminal brain cancer. The guy shaved his head and ended up with malignant melenoma that metastasized to his brain... by the time they found it, the tumor was inoperable.
My brother just had a halo mole removed... the thing showed up literally overnight. The biopsy came back negative, but the doctor didn't want to take any chances, so off it came. 9 stitches in his shoulder.

Flying Tiger
11-25-2005, 07:05 AM
That stuff is mad mojo for sure...
My brother just had a halo mole removed... the thing showed up literally overnight. The biopsy came back negative, but the doctor didn't want to take any chances, so off it came. 9 stitches in his shoulder.
Good to read he dodged a bullet.
We on this website have similar tastes and interests when it comes to the sun and water and have to be cautious,, and your bro was right on getting it checked and removed.
A rotton way to go.
If noticed get it checked that day,, if detected get immediately in the CORRECT hospital where they cut and slam you with all kinds of stuff - and you are one, brutally sick, MoFo for a spell through the treatment.
But at least treatment is available. And at the least ,, do it for those who love you.
We bumped into actor George Hamilton on a 'Vegas flite. "Mr Suntan".
The GF concured that he's checked daily,, and has any signs cut and tested immediately.

purrfecttremor
11-25-2005, 07:22 AM
My Wife had melenoma cut out of the small of Her back twice [didn't get it all the 1st time] and We use 50 sunscseen all the time now but as We all no havasu is murder on Ya.I can't imagine what we would have done without Her.Scariest time of My life but boating is the most important part of Our life.That was 5 years ago We are part of the lucky few who catch it in time! :)

TCHB
11-25-2005, 08:25 AM
One of reasons we sold our Howard and bought a new (Tri Toon) is because it has double tops and we can enjoy the lake and not get sunned out. I have know so many peope end of getting cancer and it is not pretty!

11-25-2005, 08:51 AM
Please take note,
Melanoma can metastasize ANYWHERE. I had a patient in 1999 that had a melanoma removed from the middle of his back. A whole body PET scan showed he also had a lesion on the ball of his foot (no discoloring of the skin). This was later determined to be the primary location and the lesion on the back was the metastasis. Also, it can turn up anywhere along your gut tube, from entry to exit.
A great place to go for melanoma is the John Wayne Cancer Center in Santa Monica. I have seen several "terminal cases" go into complete remission.
For the lurkers, melanoma is the worst form of skin cancer. There are other forms that are not fatal but any suspicious marks should be checked out. Especially given our collective propensity for sun worship during our favorite past time!

AZKC
11-25-2005, 09:35 AM
I was going to my skin guy every 3 months, and have usually 2-3 biopsies taken each time. In the 3 years I've been going only one was an actual melenoma and it was on top of my head that I never knew was there. My wife noticed it and had me ask the Doc about it. Had some surgery and got a free face lift out of the deal. Don't mess around people get ck'd out. My Doc told me that Bob Marley actually died from a Melenoma on his foot that spread to his lungs. or I think thats what he said :idea:

Jordy
11-25-2005, 09:51 AM
My Doc told me that Bob Marley actually died from a Melenoma on his foot that spread to his lungs. or I think thats what he said :idea:
C'mon now, everyone knows the CIA killed Bob. :rolleyes: :cool:

TCHB
11-26-2005, 08:22 AM
I am amazed that with all the information about skin cancer I see so many people with no bimini tops up all day. We used our boat 150 Hours in the past 12 months and had the tops up most of that time. I have seen others that have used their boats about the same amount of time with the bimini top down. I know they are using sun screen but it is not like a shade top. I had a guy tell me he did not like the top because he could not go fast. I asked him how fast is your boat and he said 75 MPH. I am thinking in todays world 75MPH is not really fast. His wife and kids are getting cooked by the sun.

AZKC
11-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Another WTH is how many people don't wear sunglasses. Especially when around water, they need protection also.

purrfecttremor
11-26-2005, 10:05 AM
I run with My top down as I had one break a few years ago [wasn't pretty] but it goes up as soon as We get to point b where ever the puck that is!:Oh Yea My whole Family wear good glasses.

Flying Tiger
11-27-2005, 08:17 AM
The Girlfriend read my post on Melonoma, and all the responses from the kind readers in the West forum.
She wanted to add that history in ones life adds to the likelyhood of contracting this deadly cancer too. A BFD she tells me.
"Most that contract it were active in the sun in their teens" she says. So ,, all the more reason to keep exposure under control.
Especially those with light hair, or red hair,, but it can attack anyone.
90% fatal,, and the 10% survival is if caught early, and quick treatment in a specialty shop that is on the ball.
From the bottom of ones hooves to the top of your mellon,, ya check and get a biopsy/scan immediately if a mole or any blemish suddenly shows up.
BTW:
I asked her about the link between eating meat and breast cancer in women because it almost took my sisters life.
"No link at all, a fairytale" she tells me.

chrissy
11-27-2005, 03:09 PM
I just had a very good friend of mine tell me she went to the doctor and had some blood work done recently. The Dr. told her her calcium levels were high and that's a cancer indicator. Does your g/f have any knowledge of this? I have never heard that before and I am very worried now :(

Flying Tiger
11-27-2005, 04:25 PM
I just had a very good friend of mine tell me she went to the doctor and had some blood work done recently. The Dr. told her her calcium levels were high and that's a cancer indicator. Does your g/f have any knowledge of this? I have never heard that before and I am very worried now :(
I'll ask her all about that tonight and get right back.

Flying Tiger
11-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Her reply:
Advanced Body Scan, 20311 S. W. Acacia St. Suite 140 Newport Beach. 1-866-BODYSCAN. It'll be about $600, and it's quick & painless, and the doctor tells you right away your results. It's good for detecting all cancers except Ovarian, since those tumors are small seeds of metastatic tissue spread all over the body. For that, have her ask her regular doctor for a CEA or CA11 blood test.
Could be just osteoporosis.
(The above is a cut and paste from an IM from my squeeze)
The above facinates me.
Read it again,, cancer can be detected from a scan??
Whodathunkit??
I figured lab tests, cutting, bloodwork,, surgery, biopsies,,, ect ect,,,
Damn,, ain't technology nice?

chrissy
11-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks for that info :) I will keep my fingers crossed and hope it's nothing. I'll let her know about the body scan. I actually know someone who had a scan and found his heart problem said it was the best investment he ever got back cuz it saved his life.

Flying Tiger
11-28-2005, 04:43 AM
Decided to drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas this past week.
My Girlfriend took 3 weeks off from work to be by my bedside to nurse me through a recovery from very brutal surgery on my nose and eyes.
She was an angel to me. Me laying there in bed with my eyes stitched shut,, nose in a cast,, I was a mess.
(I now have a Reese Witherspoon nose, and Joan Rivers eyes, actually aren't bad on a guy.)
OK: I decided to take the GF to 'Vegas for a gift for this kind help.
We drove my new Honda s2000 sports car rather than book a flite. The S2000 is a teriffic car, but after about 2 hours, the seats start to hurt like murder. I suggest the BMW roadster if you plan long trips in a car like this. The BMW quiter, more comfortable ride and seats, and new for '06 a rumored supermotor w/vvt from BMW.
The Krauts have perfected the convertable. Sitting in the BMW, one can't tell they're in a ragtop. Quiet too when underway, and the top will lower/raise faster than the traffic signal can change. All a BFD, especially from a country that only has August and winter
Top down in the s2000 some of the way (the GF with her SPF 50 on), top up most of the way because we averaged 80 mph and kept up with traffic often exceeding 90 to 100MPH ( I goosed it to 130+ MPH a couple of times with ease).
We stayed at the Golden Gate Hotel on Fremont street.
Small but cozy, very clean, old charm with a piano player in the lounge area that can be heard throught the lobby level.
Easy vallet parking, a few steps to the quick check in, a few more to the lift, and then a few feet to our 80 year old room (book the rear of the hotel because the racket from the "Fremont Street Experience".)
We like to eat at the Golden Nugget next door, and gamble at the Las Vegas Club directly across.
We went to see the Blue Man Group,, which I understand one can see in just about any major city today.
The show was $87 US each plus all kinds of taxes.
Blue man group was awsum for my girlfriend. She is one of those kind, tireless attractive girls who's last boyfriend never did anything with her,, just got drunk and spent lots of her money and yelled at her. But that's another post for a different forum.
I thought the Blue man Group just ok,, but good fun, and it meant more to me that the girlfriend loved it. I treat this girl like royalty.
Dinner was later at Lawrys, the Prime Rib. ($50 per person US + drinks, we didn't drink any booze) .
We had a romantic, cozy corner booth in an awsum 'old money" atmosphere.
Prime Rib at Lawrys will spoil you,, you'll never be satisfied with Prime Rib anyplace else again.
The girlfriend asked me to be her boyfriend,, and (as luck and good timing would have it) I pulled out and
gave the new girlfriend a 1kt Tanzanite stone mounted on a 14kt white gold ring dripping with diamonds.
The Casanova is ruining his image being nice to girls,,, but love is creeping into my iron clapsed heart, and painfull weakness is setting in.
This kinda stuff is hard for guys,, we're wired differen't than girls,, it hurts,, love hurts for guys,, girls just soak it up..
It was an awsum show and dinner (supper).
The evening in Las Vegas was warm last week,, so after dinner we dropped the top of the s2000 and drove down the Las Vegas Strip. Exciteing with the top down. People on the street and groups in other cars mixing it up with us with humor and good cheer as we slowly drifted down the strip.
The GF flashed for beads. Proves my point that highly educated or barely made it through High School, all girls get nasty.
Nothing like a cute chick with perky boobs flashing.
She could be a head of staff on a major medical team, or just got fired from K Mart. What an erotic thought,,,
Up early Sunday morning, buffet at the Golden Nugget,, then back home traffic flirting in the high 80 MPH most the way on the 15.
Fun trip driving to LV,, but long and I recomend a flite for travelers,, or the BMW roadster for long trips.
Our net winnings were about $14.

coolchange
11-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Sounds like a killer time! I had a girlfriend like that a long time ago. I came up with cancer less than a year after we started dating. It was tuff but she hung with me through the illness. She was my GF for a few years after that but that had to end. Dec 29th is our 15th wedding anniversary.

steve d
11-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Got home from a nice Thanksgiving weekend and saw this thread. I'm 57 years old,--Aug. 2002 diagnosed with Melanoma...Stage I, Clarks level III. A mole 1/4 size of an eraser. Sept 2002 went to surgery-came out with an 8" incision on my left shoulder blade --still have it---still alive...LUCKLY my Daughter, a registered nurse, saw it---didn"t like the way it looked. I have olive skin, and have had enough Sun for 50 people. Trust me --I've boned up on the subject--It'll kill you and now!!----Next time you see me --I'll be in an orange and white 1987 19ft Spectra V-Drive on the river with a long sleeve sunbrella shirt and a Panama hat................Steve

Flying Tiger
11-28-2005, 07:52 PM
There it is,, Glad to read you dodged a bullet too Steve,,

JetBoatRich
11-28-2005, 08:13 PM
The Casanova is ruining his image being nice to girls,,, but love is creeping into my iron clapsed heart, and painfull weakness is setting in.
This kinda stuff is hard for guys,, we're wired differen't than girls,, it hurts,, love hurts for guys,, girls just soak it up..
:cool: I like this post :cool:
Good information on the thread :idea: my sister has been to the Dr. for treatment a lot over the last few years and has a couple good scars from being cut on.