PDA

View Full Version : Boaters 1 PWCs 0

AZKC
11-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Article in the Arizona Daily Star this morning announced the ban of PWC's on Patagonia Lake south of Tucson. Now mind you it is a very small lake, but they(PWC'ers) made the lake unuseable to most other people, do to there total disregard of other boaters on the lake.

SCUBA STEVE
11-25-2005, 09:47 AM
You have a lake over there? :p

Jordy
11-25-2005, 09:48 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Guess they do have more places to boat than just the CAP. :D

Tom Brown
11-25-2005, 09:48 AM
PWC ban?
That's a shame. :cool:

DAVEO
11-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Its about time,I love it. Thats the best news Ive heard today. Hopefully this will start a chain reaction.

AZKC
11-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Its bigger than Tempes lake :)

AZKC
11-25-2005, 10:05 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Guess they do have more places to boat than just the CAP. :D
We don't boat in the CAP, just go fishing. :crossx:

Dusty Times
11-25-2005, 10:08 AM
I just worry that the chain reaction may later mean a ban on all motor boats and it will be blow boats only on our favorite lakes.

azgfboatgirl
11-25-2005, 10:15 AM
The ban prohibits the use od above water-exhausted boats at Patagonia Lake State Park. This type of boat is typically a watercraft powered by a jet pump, which is driven by a large displacement automotive engine with exhaust pipes above the water.
For more information contact Arizona State Parks (602)542-1996 or (602) 228-8518.

Jordy
11-25-2005, 10:17 AM
The ban prohibits the use od above water-exhausted boats at Patagonia Lake State Park. This type of boat is typically a watercraft powered by a jet pump, which is driven by a large displacement automotive engine with exhaust pipes above the water.
For more information contact Arizona State Parks (602)542-1996 or (602) 228-8518.
Doesn't sound like a PWC to me. ;)
Bans scare the hell out of me, even on PWC's because it's a slippery slope. Once one thing is banned, it's only a matter of time before it snowballs into more stuff being banned. Just my $0.02.

uvindex
11-25-2005, 10:19 AM
I just worry that the chain reaction may later mean a ban on all motor boats and it will be blow boats only on our favorite lakes.I agree. I find PWCs annoying as hell too. However, while the post on ***boat says, "Boaters 1 PWCs 0" I'm concerned that on tree hugger sites the post might say, "1 down, 1 to go" (in other words, we got the PWCs banned, boats are next.) :(

azgfboatgirl
11-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Bans scare the hell out of me, even on PWC's because it's a slippery slope. Once one thing is banned, it's only a matter of time before it snowballs into more stuff being banned. Just my $0.02.
Funny, I noticed that too. That's right from a press release on November 23rd.

hoolign
11-25-2005, 10:30 AM
That's it...blame the equipment..not the morons driving them or the ones that rent to anyone with 50 bucks!

AZKC
11-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Once one thing is banned, it's only a matter of time before it snowballs into more stuff being banned. Just my $0.02.
Yeah like wackers :argue: :p

AZKC
11-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Must be something different than what the paper reported :idea:
Here's a link to the article I read :boxed:
Bye Bye PWC's (http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/104088)
Really had nothing to do with enviromental issues, but nice try on a political spin :rollside:
But back to AZGFBG quote, are thru the transoms exhaust considered out of water systems :idea:

Boatcop
11-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Here's the entire press release:
Arizona State Parks - Press Release
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arizona State Parks News Release
Managing and conserving Arizona's natural, cultural and recreational resources.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ellen Bilbrey, PIO, Arizona State Parks, at (602) 542-1996 or (602) 228-8518.
SAFETY AND NOISE CONCERNS PROMPT STATE PARKS BOARD TO
RESTRICT JET SKIING AND ABOVE-EXHAUST BOATS AT PATAGONIA
LAKE STATE PARK
(Phoenix, AZ - November 22, 2005) - The Arizona State Parks Board recently reviewed comments from the public and staff regarding different types of boating use at Patagonia Lake State Park and ultimately voted to allow water skiing and towing to continue but to prohibit the use of personal watercraft (jet skis/water bikes) after December 1, 2005.
The Board also voted to prohibit the use of above water-exhausted boats at Patagonia Lake State Park. This type of boat is typically a watercraft powered by a jet pump, which is driven by a large displacement automotive engine with exhaust pipes above the water. These watercraft regulation changes will be effective as of December 1, 2005.
The board voted not to change the current water skiing and towing regulations. Water skiing and towing is allowed Monday through Friday (except legal holidays) from May 1 through September 30. From October 1 through April 30 water skiing and towing is allowed 7 days a week.
Due to many issues that have been presented to the Board since 2003 in regard to noise, safety and the ecology of this small, less than 200-acre lake, the Board agreed to take these actions to provide a higher level of safety and recreational quality for Patagonia Lake users.
A survey was completed at the park and users were polled in regard to boating uses. The survey information and public comments were presented by Park staff to the Board during this special session meeting about Patagonia Lake.
The increased attendance at Patagonia Lake State Park to more than 200,000 people annually has increased the risk of boating accidents and the State Parks Board feels these changes are required to keep this State Park within reasonable safety parameters and noise levels.
For more information about Arizona State Parks call (602) 542-4174 or see the website at www.azstateparks.com
I just read through the minutes of the meeting where this was discussed. It's interesting that when discussing above water exhaust, they were all talking about jet boats. Even the press release above says "This type of boat is typically a watercraft powered by a jet pump, which is driven by a large displacement automotive engine with exhaust pipes above the water."
I've never been to Patagonia, but from what I understand it's a fairly small lake, with only about 90 surface acres outside of the No Wake Zone. Not enough distance to really get up to speed in the first place.

AZKC
11-25-2005, 11:23 AM
I just read through the minutes of the meeting where this was discussed. It's interesting that when discussing above water exhaust, they were all talking about jet boats. Even the press release above says "This type of boat is typically a watercraft powered by a jet pump, which is driven by a large displacement automotive engine with exhaust pipes above the water."
I've never been to Patagonia, but from what I understand it's a fairly small lake, with only about 90 surface acres outside of the No Wake Zone. Not enough distance to really get up to speed in the first place.
Ok after reading the whole deal :mad: banning jet boats too :argue: Guess I'll just have to get a vdrive :crossx: Or a 300 hp bass boat :)
It is a small lake not worth hot rodding around on or skiing actually, unless you like driving in circles. But I do go down there to camp and fish off and on. But my boat is far from a hotrod, but its nice to use as transportaion around the lake.

hoolign
11-25-2005, 11:29 AM
the whacker guys luv small lakes...makes the boat seem fast when the opposite shore aproaches quicker.. :D us jet guys..we know we're slow no matter how big or small the lake.

Jordy
11-25-2005, 11:38 AM
And jet boats. ;)
So they ban PWC's citing the jet pump and 2 stroke operation, for example. So, now we have a segway into anything with a jet pump as it disturbs the fish nesting grounds (true case I believe from some of the national parks ban on PWC's, or at least one of the routes the Sierra Club was going). Now what else uses jet pumps, oh yeah, jet boats. Ban them too. ;)
So we have 2 strokes banned. Hmmm, lots of 2 stroke outboards. May as well ban them too, as there is a logical tie. Oh, but outboards use props, and outboards are bad and have been banned, so props must be bad as well. Say goodbye I/O guys, as well as v-drives.
See how easy that is??? Next step, fiberglass. Pretty much everything on the banned list is made of fiberglass. Fiberglass must be bad. Ban that stuff too!!!

AZKC
11-25-2005, 11:51 AM
I guess they'll stay away from Vdrives since their allways on the trailer :crossx:

azgfboatgirl
11-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Here's the entire press release:
I guess they were causing tidal waves..... :rolleyes:

Jordy
11-25-2005, 12:06 PM
I guess they'll stay away from Vdrives since their allways on the trailer :crossx:
I'm willing to bet that I put 3 times the hours on my v-drive when I had it, in one season, as you did in the 3 summers in the blue canoe, and I'm talking on the water, not working on it. :D :D :D

HocusPocus
11-25-2005, 12:11 PM
how about a ban on everything under 20' and everything over 24'.. that should make everything less crowded. :skull: :skull: :crossx:

AZKC
11-25-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm willing to bet that I put 3 times the hours on my v-drive when I had it, in one season, as you did in the 3 summers in the blue canoe, and I'm talking on the water, not working on it. :D :D :D
Oh great, your working on your stand up routine again :idea: and it was two summers focker :crossx:

Wake Havasu
11-25-2005, 12:30 PM
But water-skiing will be allowed for another year before the Arizona State Parks Board reconsiders a proposal to ban that sport from the 250-acre lake about 50 miles south of Tucson.
It begins.
Next will be boats over 22' on Parker Strip.

Kim Hanson
11-25-2005, 12:39 PM
You don't be talk silly now .........( . )( . ).......... :p

Kim Hanson
11-25-2005, 12:42 PM
They will be banned from the parking lot :p too loud of paint jobs...........( . )( . ).........and too much chrome :p

2Driver
11-25-2005, 12:44 PM
We don't boat in the CAP, just go fishing. :crossx:
You haven't lived until you have water skied in the CAP behind a sand rail. (people tell me) :)

AZKC
11-25-2005, 12:59 PM
[I]Next will be boats over 22' on Parker Strip.
:crossx: I'm all for it :argue: :p

Kim Hanson
11-25-2005, 01:12 PM
:crossx: I'm all for it :argue: :p
River Dave is Focked then, Docked Dave will be his next name or did he sell Bubbles :p ...........( . )( . )...........He did sell Bubbles, he's safe now!

Boatcop
11-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Next will be boats over 22' on Parker Strip.
Never happen.
It would take 2 States, the Federal Govt. and an Indian Tribe to all get on the same page and pass identical laws.
The 2 states can't even agree on a concurrent age limit.