PDA

View Full Version : excursion lift

Partycattin
11-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Anyone have a 4" lift on an excursion with 315/75/17 (35 x 12) tires?
I've heard that the tires will fit from one rep at 4 wheel parts and then another told me I would need to go 6".
I'd rather hang lower with the 4" if possible. Any info is appreciated.

shadow
11-25-2005, 10:57 AM
2WD or 4WD?
I belive with a 4" lift on 4x4 they will fit.6" lift on 2wd will sit about same 4" lift on a 4x4,so you'd probablly have to go with a 6" on 2wd.
I installed a 6" lift on my 2wd excursion "just to get rid of the station wagon look" I have 35" BFG's.Tires barely rub in very tight turn.

sigepmock
11-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Shadow's right it makes a diff if it's 2x or 4x. Try giving Jason Riley a call at Rancho Motorsports, he's a fellow hot boater and owns a lift shop in Ontario, he's lifted a ton of Excursions and will give you the straight answer.
Rancho Motorsports
909-390-9722
Good luck,
Chris

909er
11-26-2005, 09:11 AM
I've got a 4x4 Excursion w/ a 4" lift and I run 35's. The tires rub very lightly only on real tight turns.

Partycattin
11-26-2005, 09:25 AM
I've got a 4x4 Excursion w/ a 4" lift and I run 35's. The tires rub very lightly only on real tight turns.
Mine is a 4x4. I want to run 17x10 wheels.
How wide are the wheels you are running?
What lift did you go with.
I'm thinking of going with the 4" Procomp. I've heard 4 or 6 inch lift will work.
I'd like the wider looking stance versus taller.
How is towing with the setup you have? We're going to be picking up a toy hauler next year and still want to be able to tow without any problems.
Thanks for the info

909er
11-26-2005, 03:38 PM
16.5 x 12.5 Rim size...But not very many people make 16.5 inch rims any more so 17's will look nice
I've got a Fabtech lift but I think I'm gonna take out this winter and replace it with a Donahoe Racing lift...My lift is 5 years old and is pretty worn out.
Towing is still fine...I tow a 32' travel trailer every where and it doesnt have any problems

cc322
11-26-2005, 04:42 PM
IMO I would go 315/70/17 very nice look. I also would do the Donahoe kit, they use Deaver springs and are very high quality, a little more up front but well worth it. Here is a pick of 315/70/17 on 17x9 Motoo Metal 951.
http://members.cox.net/cc322/FORDF250/moto951wheel.jpg

Partycattin
11-26-2005, 06:52 PM
IMO I would go 315/70/17 very nice look. I also would do the Donahoe kit, they use Deaver springs and are very high quality, a little more up front but well worth it. Here is a pick of 315/70/17 on 17x9 Motoo Metal 951.
http://members.cox.net/cc322/FORDF250/moto951wheel.jpg
I would go with the tires you mentioned except I got the tires for free. They were off my friends H2 and have about 300 miles on them. Couldn't pass on that deal.

cc322
11-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Theese are also off a H2

Partycattin
12-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Still toying with the idea of lifting my Excursion. Not told sold on it yet though. We're going to be keeping this ride for a while and I need it to last. Have heard that lifting and the wider wheels/tires wears things out pretty bad. Soooo I'm considering just putting some nicer wheels and a tire that is bigger but will fit, like a Nitto Grappler or something.
Thoughts?

sigepmock
12-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Still toying with the idea of lifting my Excursion. Not told sold on it yet though. We're going to be keeping this ride for a while and I need it to last. Have heard that lifting and the wider wheels/tires wears things out pretty bad. Soooo I'm considering just putting some nicer wheels and a tire that is bigger but will fit, like a Nitto Grappler or something.
Thoughts?
This is my third lifted truck and I will probably always own a lifted truck. The benefits of the added ground clearance, added grip with the larger tires, and better all around performance outway the small negatives.
Yes you will see increased wear and tear on parts of the vehicle but with proper/regular maintence I've never had an issue. The decision is up to you but if you buy a good lift kit with good tires and rims, maintain the vehicle regulary, and understand the truck is still not an off-road race vehicle so don't abuse it, you should have no problems.
I use my truck on and off-road, for towing the boat, and the toy hauler and again the added benefits far outweigh the negatives.
Just my $.02,
Chris
PS Just a side note....I've never had a flat in the 8 years since I've been running lifted trucks with larger tires.

cc322
12-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Thoughts?
If you just do the tires and wheels right now and you dont do at least a mild lift you will eventually say I should have done the lift, just gives it a way better look all around, nothing too big 4.5 Donahoe is great on that rig here are some good sites to read up on.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/
http://www.superdutyheadquarters.com/sdpg29.htm

dm25advantage
12-06-2005, 07:14 PM
jason, stop being a puss and cancel your order with the 4.5 lift and go with the 8' like i did. go big or go home.

Partycattin
12-07-2005, 08:16 AM
jason, stop being a puss and cancel your order with the 4.5 lift and go with the 8' like i did. go big or go home.
Ok, pulled the trigger. Eagle alloy 114's 17x10 and the 4.5 drop hanger system from Donahoe. All ordered yesterday.
DM25Advantage: free up a Saturday for the lifting party at Whit's!

dm25advantage
12-07-2005, 10:52 AM
jason, i have sunday off and kat gone too. can we have the party on sun

Partycattin
12-07-2005, 01:16 PM
jason, i have sunday off and kat gone too. can we have the party on sun
Hopefully everything comes in by Saturday. We'll send the ladies x-mas shopping and get to lifting the X.

cc322
12-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Ok, pulled the trigger. Eagle alloy 114's 17x10 and the 4.5 drop hanger system from Donahoe. All ordered yesterday.
DM25Advantage: free up a Saturday for the lifting party at Whit's!
I think you made a very wise choice, you will love that kit. Perfect amount of lift IMO. Take some pics and post when its all done

Partycattin
12-15-2005, 04:09 PM
I think you made a very wise choice, you will love that kit. Perfect amount of lift IMO. Take some pics and post when its all done
Put the lift on last night. Overall, a pretty easy install. About 4 hours with a couple of us working on it.
I think the rear may need another inch or so of lift. We'll see how it looks once I get the wheels/tires on.
The rear had 2" blocks stock which were replaced with 5" blocks. A net lift of 3" for the rear and 4 1/2 in the front. This may level out the pickups but has seemed to give the Excursion a bit of sag in the back.
I'll post pics as soon as it's all done.

cc322
12-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Congrats........should look real good. imo try to get the back level with no sag maybe even a little higher. We will be waiting for pics

Partycattin
12-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Ok, got the wheels and tires on last night.
Here is a pic.

Partycattin
12-23-2005, 07:40 AM
Overall the ride is actually better then before. The front end seems softer, probably because of the bigger tire absorbing some of the bumps from the road. The front end also does not bottom out on the bump-stops when you go into a driveway.
I need to trim the valance by about 1/4 - 1/2 inch at the lower corner, other than that, no rubbing at all.
It seems to be down just a bit in the back and may need another inch or so of lift. I don't want it to be sagging when I tow.
Thinking about air bags or an add a leaf. Any thoughts on the two options?

sigepmock
12-23-2005, 07:55 AM
I run the air bags. Gives you the ability to adjust the height for different weight situations and seems to ride better. I've run them on the last two trucks and been very pleased. I've never been a big fan of 'Add a leaf's".
I think the basic 5000lb airbag set-up is around $200 and install is a snap. Check SummitRacing.com, they seemed to have the best prices around.
BTW, truck looks good, congrats :cool:
Chris

H20 Toie
12-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Air bags are the only way to go the add a leaf's will make it ride much rougher and you can adjust ride height with the bags.

cc322
12-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Looks good , nice job glad to see you got your wheels finally. Do the bags they are great the only catch is you must keep at least 5lbs of air in them at all times.