PDA

View Full Version : turbine v-drive at Phoenix

BUSBY
11-25-2005, 11:25 AM
I've seen pics of this here ... but no video ...
I took this at Phoenix last weekend ... guy ran 105 in it when I saw him run ... the jet turns the v-drive input shaft ... runs on diesel, the guys are helicopter techs ... they said they get 4000 hours out of a rebuild ...
http://www.unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/jetflat.wmv
http://www.unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/jetflat2.wmv
Could you see pulling up to the local dock bar with this?

Jordy
11-25-2005, 11:42 AM
It was cool to finally see those guys running down the track. It's been there for the last couple years, but always seemed to be broken in the pits by Friday. Pretty wild concept. Don't know about having to wear earplugs to hit the water though. :D

dmontzsta
11-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Did anyone get vids of it on the water?

Kim Hanson
11-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Did anyone get vids of it on the water?
Its a trailer queen like your new one :p .........( . )( . )............

dmontzsta
11-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Its a trailer queen like your new one :p .........( . )( . )............
Atleast it is always above water, unlike your boats. :)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
11-25-2005, 04:41 PM
....someone get Kim some smelling salt, he just got TKO'd by dmontzsta! LMAO! :rollside:

dmontzsta
11-25-2005, 05:36 PM
....someone get Kim some smelling salt, he just got TKO'd by dmontzsta! LMAO! :rollside:
He might try to snort it, so it might not be a good idea.
:)
Just let him sleep it off. :)

Kim Hanson
11-25-2005, 09:18 PM
I have only sank one and I use both mine and they stay off the trailer all day you go wish for a motor ! When was the last time you had a boat in the water that was yours ?.........( . )( . ).........Go polish something on No engine, B itch Boat :p

wsuwrhr
11-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Someone just got knockedthefukout.
Brian

wsuwrhr
11-25-2005, 09:49 PM
I have only sank one and I use both mine and they stay off the trailer all day you go wish for a motor ! When was the last time you had a boat in the water that was yours ?.........( . )( . ).........Go polish something on No engine, B itch Boat :p
Dig deeper
Brian

Kim Hanson
11-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Dig deeper
Brian
His just stays on the trailer and the only water it has seen was applied by him..................( . )( . )......... :crossx:

dmontzsta
11-25-2005, 10:52 PM
His just stays on the trailer and the only water it has seen was applied by him..................( . )( . )......... :crossx:
Look what the cat drug in, the trailer park drunk.
My Lavey saw lots of water and I just finished my last season with it, the last time I was on the water was about a month ago. Things take time Kimmy, we cant all have "marlin race boats" with kick ass stereos, dune buggy seats (with custom cut low backs) and beer holders.

olbiezer
11-25-2005, 11:09 PM
has anyone ever seen this boat run in the water? all i ever see is pics on the trailer or in the pits

Kim Hanson
11-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Look what the cat drug in, the trailer park drunk.
My Lavey saw lots of water and I just finished my last season with it, the last time I was on the water was about a month ago. Things take time Kimmy, we cant all have "marlin race boats" with kick ass stereos, dune buggy seats (with custom cut low backs) and beer holders.
I know, I need to find me some of those bitchin blue gas tanks like yours and hide them........( . )( . ).........oh and all the black hose was bitchen also :cool: :p Need all those cool clamps also :crossx:

Kim Hanson
11-25-2005, 11:18 PM
has anyone ever seen this boat run in the water? all i ever see is pics on the trailer or in the pits
I think it's used for cooking hotdogs on shore........( . )( . ).......fast! :p

dmontzsta
11-25-2005, 11:43 PM
I know, I need to find me some of those bitchin blue gas tanks like yours and hide them........( . )( . ).........oh and all the black hose was bitchen also :cool: :p Need all those cool clamps also :crossx:
Dont forget to pull a piece of your neighbors roof off, to make yourself a splash shield, wait, you already did that. Are you Mcgayver?

BUSBY
11-25-2005, 11:47 PM
He ran it ... it turned a 105mph ... I think I haave a short vid of him crusing to the outramp ... I'll look for it and post it.
BB

rrrr
11-26-2005, 12:28 AM
Are you Mcgayver?
LMAO......
Innovative thinking centered around a big cock in your arsehole..... :D :D :D

Tahiti350
11-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Gives new meaning to the term "Jetboat"!!

Kim Hanson
11-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Dont forget to pull a piece of your neighbors roof off, to make yourself a splash shield, wait, you already did that. Are you Mcgayver?
I needed that shield to make it stay afloat when it's in the water focker and went to a tin shop and got a piece 14" wide and made it work for the template to get it made out of stainless steel, it works and I don't have to worry about facing it out in to the lake now! I make stuff I can't buy here, whoopty shit! Sure beats being stuck to a trailer at the lake........( . )( . )....... :idea:

Kim Hanson
11-26-2005, 12:12 PM
LMAO......
Innovative thinking centered around a big cock in your arsehole..... :D :D :D
You sure have quite the imagimation there rrrr.........( . )( . ).or is it! :p

olbiezer
11-26-2005, 12:27 PM
maybe i am missing the point but that engine has got to cost 30 or 40 k to go 105 mph.......ill take a nice blown 540 for alot less and go at least 105.....altough i wouldn't be able to rost hot dogs in the pits with a 540....

Towndrunk
11-26-2005, 02:08 PM
maybe i am missing the point but that engine has got to cost 30 or 40 k to go 105 mph.......ill take a nice blown 540 for alot less and go at least 105.....altough i wouldn't be able to rost hot dogs in the pits with a 540....
No but you could heat up a can of beans & weenies.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
11-26-2005, 03:02 PM
So you think 105 is full stride? I don't know, but I would bet there's a lot more left that hasn't been tapped.

dmontzsta
11-26-2005, 03:13 PM
One things for sure, you bring that thing out to the river...lol...EVERYONE will be like WTF, when if you are in a blown big block they would look once, even the yuppies would be looking at that rocket boat.

olbiezer
11-26-2005, 03:17 PM
there prob is alot more in that boat but........just not my cup of tea i guess......and its in a barron sprint too :220v: :220v: :rollside:

rmgoldhunter
11-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Hi all
Im Ron I did the machine work on this boat. We had a blast at the drags.It was the first race we were able to enter. We have a lot to learn about boat racing. Our first few lights were 2.5 to 4.0 our last were .4 so it is improving. Jim has had the boat in the water on 6 trips about 11 days total for 8 hours run time. during the phoenix trip we used about 20 gals of fuel he runs jet fuel because it only cost him about $2.30 a gallon, but diesel works just as well. Most of the fuel was used on the trailer just playing around for the crowd with the after burner. some one is right about the price about $40,000 turn key installed. how much does a 540 blown engine cost? what are the first 50 hours of run time cost for a v-8 in maintance? turbine is about $100 for oil. what are the Cost to you for down time or trips messed up do to engine problems on a blown v-8. turbine as close to 0 as u can imagine.At 1200 hours you would need to spend $1000-$2000 on parts.At 1200 hours on a v-8 how much would you have spent.Turbines will never replace pistons for most things but they do have some cool points.The t53 weighs 580 lbs dressed and puts out 1400 shaft horse power or about 2000 brake horse power. we use only about 600 brake. the boat has 25% overdrive gears. Jim is looking to put about 75%gears in it, then he can use more hp before max rpm's are reached. Jim is waiting for any one who, can or would, use 2000hp in their boat to contact him for an install.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
11-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi all
Im Ron I did the machine work on this boat. We had a blast at the drags.It was the first race we were able to enter. We have a lot to learn about boat racing. Our first few lights were 2.5 to 4.0 our last were .4 so it is improving. Jim has had the boat in the water on 6 trips about 11 days total for 8 hours run time. during the phoenix trip we used about 20 gals of fuel he runs jet fuel because it only cost him about $2.30 a gallon, but diesel works just as well. Most of the fuel was used on the trailer just playing around for the crowd with the after burner. some one is right about the price about $40,000 turn key installed. how much does a 540 blown engine cost? what are the first 50 hours of run time cost for a v-8 in maintance? turbine is about $100 for oil. what are the Cost to you for down time or trips messed up do to engine problems on a blown v-8. turbine as close to 0 as u can imagine.At 1200 hours you would need to spend $1000-$2000 on parts.At 1200 hours on a v-8 how much would you have spent.Turbines will never replace pistons for most things but they do have some cool points.The t53 weighs 580 lbs dressed and puts out 1400 shaft horse power or about 2000 brake horse power. we use only about 600 brake. the boat has 25% overdrive gears. Jim is looking to put about 75%gears in it, then he can use more hp before max rpm's are reached. Jim is waiting for any one who, can or would, use 2000hp in their boat to contact him for an install.
Welcome to the forums and thanks for the response! :cool: Thats thing is definately unique! The boat is so different that its hard to relate to. I think its really cool and would love to see it run. As far as wanting one,,,maybe after attending airframe and powerplant school. :mix:
--Jerry

scottys
11-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Hi all
1400 HP at what RPM? someone watching your tach on warm up said it was turning 60,000 RPM.x 75 gears?

rmgoldhunter
11-26-2005, 07:15 PM
the engine rpm is around 25,000 his output shaft rpm is about 6000.he is running at 92% of the the max rpm of 6600. I am not an expert in the field, but it works some thing like this.the throttle responds normaly until your set rpm is hit if you hit your max rpm before you let off it will stay there at what ever horse power it needs to stay there be it 200 or 2000, by adding more fuel. the torque output is 1250 lbs at 6600. maybe some one that knows more than me (thats about anyone on this list) about how this gear change would effect the speed please tell me. at 92% it goes 81 mph, but for a second it over speeds and goes about 100-105 before going down to 81. it ran about the same speed in the 1/8 as the !/4. Ron

olbiezer
11-26-2005, 07:44 PM
hey ron u got me wrong......the boat is cool but just not for me ( if u know what i mean) i used to work for pratt and whittney on the f15 and 16 engines and also the sr 71 for awhile....maybe jets have worn me down lol.....i also have the same hull as the jet vdrive has so thats all cool.......just way too pricy for me...thats all! does this thing have electronic engine controlls or what? how long is the spool up time? does it really have a after burner? and does that thrust help speed at all? was wondering if u could set the controlls for higher rpm at all? just wondering out loud i guess ,,,,,,,thanks

rmgoldhunter
11-26-2005, 08:58 PM
sorry oliezer
I did'nt mean to sound like I was atacking what you wrote. It is too pricy for me too, but if I wanted to go real fast for fun and had the money this is how I would go. It is not computer controled it has'nt changed much since the 60's. From the lowest idle it takes 10 seconds to spool up,but from the speed he stops the output from turning to put it in gear only take about 2 seconds.with a trans brake we think the thing would realy launch.It has a fire only after burner no power to speak of, but it does push the boat very slowly while idling in neutral. Because of the brake on the output he can inch the boat around very easly. 6600 is the max with out the probability of tip rub and premature wear . you know they wash the salt out of these engines with a water hose on ships while they are running could be handy in a boat.

olbiezer
11-26-2005, 09:57 PM
there used to be a thing called water injection on the old kc135's wonder if that might help ya out lol

AZFred
11-29-2005, 09:39 PM
That turbine v-boat is my son's boat...he started with an old flat bottom shell, repainted it and built the engine, etc. himself (for the most part). As Ron said, Phoenix was his first race ever. I think he raced 4 or 5 times and finally figured things out. This was his first-ever event as a driver and he didn't do too bad. I shot some video, but as luck would have it the battery in my camcorder died about a third of the way through his elimination race (he lost)on Saturday. He raced again on Sunday and turned a 12.47 (I think)...I don't recall his speed. He's having a ball with this boat and is more than willing to talk with anyone about building them one.

Sleek-Jet
11-30-2005, 05:49 AM
That turbine v-boat is my son's boat...he started with an old flat bottom shell, repainted it and built the engine, etc. himself (for the most part). As Ron said, Phoenix was his first race ever. I think he raced 4 or 5 times and finally figured things out. This was his first-ever event as a driver and he didn't do too bad. I shot some video, but as luck would have it the battery in my camcorder died about a third of the way through his elimination race (he lost)on Saturday. He raced again on Sunday and turned a 12.47 (I think)...I don't recall his speed. He's having a ball with this boat and is more than willing to talk with anyone about building them one.
You guys are out of Tucson aren't you??? I've seen that boat in the Fox and Hound parking lot behind a lifted Dodge...
Definitely a wild boat. Good to hear he's getting the bugs worked out.

olbiezer
11-30-2005, 07:22 AM
would love to see that barron go for top speed sometime just to see what its got!

rmgoldhunter
11-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi all
how fast has anyone gone in a barron sprint, how many hp was it, and was it limited by hp or stability. jim will be buying higher gears shortly, and hasn't picked the ratio yet.

lucky
11-30-2005, 12:26 PM
when i look at the back side of that boat - I start laughing about the tom brown playing the duece thread !--

jackpunx
11-30-2005, 01:20 PM
I think the turbine engine is killer.. I have 1200HP in a 22' boat now.. and could use another 600 :rollside:
The only issue with it is.. It uses about 80gph (gallons per hour) at idle or at 100%..
In order for you to make a boat like that recreational.. you need a large fuel tank..A clutch system and a small engine for docking..Oh and a really strong drive..
Ive seen them.. And some day.. I'll own one..
You cant go wrong if you can hold enough fuel.
the other issue is.. if you put it on a big boat.. like a 40' skater.. I dont think you can insure them..

olbiezer
11-30-2005, 04:51 PM
jerry prob knows the exact numbers but i think someone set a kilo record way back of about 130 i think it was....had some big hp motor for that one run

rmgoldhunter
12-04-2005, 09:03 AM
I think the turbine engine is killer.. I have 1200HP in a 22' boat now.. and could use another 600 :rollside:
The only issue with it is.. It uses about 80gph (gallons per hour) at idle or at 100%..
In order for you to make a boat like that recreational.. you need a large fuel tank..A clutch system and a small engine for docking..Oh and a really strong drive..
Ive seen them.. And some day.. I'll own one..
You cant go wrong if you can hold enough fuel.
the other issue is.. if you put it on a big boat.. like a 40' skater.. I dont think you can insure them..
Hi all
Jim only used about 25 gallons during the 4 days at phoenix. He put 1 hour on the hour meter. He did many flame shows, with the after burner, which uses much more fuel. He made 7 runs down the track. Most of the run time in the pits was at max rpm. Maybe at max hp the engine would use 80 gals in a hour, we will run the dyno numbers some time to see, but 1400 hp for 1 hour would move most boats quite a ways I would think. We have a engine disk brake that stops the output shaft of the engine with out stopping the engine, it is for putting it in and out of gear, or moving slowly to dock it. A trans would be nice to give you reverse. the engine turns the same direction as a piston engine so many transmissions could be adapted. I've been told by racing trans builders tha a power glide or a c6 trans could be built to last in this aplication.The only docking problem we have seen is if some one or thing is closer than about 10 feet behind us they get a hot blast.I was wondering If you put the pedal to the floor of your 1200 hp boat for 1 hour how much fuel would it use,and how many miles would it go? how much is your maintance cost for 1 year and for 5 years for 1200 hp?How reliable has your set up been, and what fuel do you use.
P.S. I ask my questions in all my posts to see how Jim's turbine stacks up against whats out there, not to poke at, annoy, or put down any one or any thing. Any feed back be it potential problems, questions, or criticism helps.
Thanks

rmgoldhunter
12-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Hey Jerry
If you read this could you tell me more about the 130 mph barron boat.
Thanks

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Hey Jerry
If you read this could you tell me more about the 130 mph barron boat.
Thanks
Danny Loveless took his cut down Barron to an APBA kilo record of 130 mph. That is a 2 way average in 5/8's of a mile runs. Things to consider....Danny's boat has a Lance Faulkner bottom on it. On one of Danny's passes before setting the record the boat got loose and almost crashed. This was on perfectly flat water. There have been K boat barrons in the past with big horsepower but if you were to crank that turbine up to 2,000 hp I won't ride with you. :)

CarBizIndio
06-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Where are you guys getting these turbine engines from? Military Surplus?

BUSBY
06-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Where are you guys getting these turbine engines from? Military Surplus?
I think that the guy that owns it is a helicopter mechanic and has a source ... not really sure. At IHBA's season opener, they were crusing around with a spare turbine in the bed of their truck :jawdrop:

KNOT-RIGHT
11-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I know its old!
Here is what happens when people think outside the box.
This boat will surpass aircraft take off speeds.
Jim and his team have been working hard on this project.
They have come along way!
46 Douglas Marine Skater.
4000 combined brake horsepower
1.24 ratio 40 inch Herrings.

KNOT-RIGHT
11-05-2007, 12:16 PM
some more

KNOT-RIGHT
11-05-2007, 12:18 PM
cockpit

KNOT-RIGHT
11-05-2007, 12:20 PM
T53,s Lycombing

KNOT-RIGHT
11-05-2007, 12:20 PM
more

KNOT-RIGHT
11-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Helicopter test cell
Or for us piston guys A big Dyno

KNOT-RIGHT
11-05-2007, 12:26 PM
The motors are 45 inches long 24 inches in diamiter and weigh
550 pounds.
There first scheduled inspection/ maintenece is 3000 hour for flight
service.
Little different then My PSI blown Chief headed 547,s.
40 hours

bocco
11-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Are there smaller turbins that could fit under the hatch of a days cruiser. Is there a way to exhaust them besides that huge falme thrower?

KNOT-RIGHT
11-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Are there smaller turbins that could fit under the hatch of a days cruiser. Is there a way to exhaust them besides that huge falme thrower?
The flame thrower is a after burner it is all show.
We will not be using one for this application.
Turbines come in various shapes and sizes.
The t53 is a pratical choice for these reasons.
Output shaft RPM 6600
The output shaft can be stoped at idle. Helps to shift with a crash
box.
They make incredable HP and Torque within a very compact package.
They can generate the high hp numbers and torque for long sustained
periods.
On the test cell they can actualy go to lunch and come back with the
engine loaded.
Try that with a piston engine.:D

SnoC653
11-05-2007, 03:36 PM
The T53 is the same engine used on the UH-1 helicopter. It would make sense that helicopter mechanics would use it to run a boat. There was a throttle on the UH-1 that would let us go from idel up to the 6600 operating rpm. But that wouldn't spool fast enough for a drag boat. The trans with a trans brake concept would be a good option as the engine as used in a helicopter is already set up to spin a gear box. The flush the engines while running idea is a little risky as you can damage blades in the turbine with too much pressure applied. Remember water has nowhere near the compresibility that air has.
All in all, I give it one giant thumbs up. Good luck with the project.

KNOT-RIGHT
11-05-2007, 05:28 PM
The T53 is the same engine used on the UH-1 helicopter. It would make sense that helicopter mechanics would use it to run a boat. There was a throttle on the UH-1 that would let us go from idel up to the 6600 operating rpm. But that wouldn't spool fast enough for a drag boat. The trans with a trans brake concept would be a good option as the engine as used in a helicopter is already set up to spin a gear box. The flush the engines while running idea is a little risky as you can damage blades in the turbine with too much pressure applied. Remember water has nowhere near the compresibility that air has.
All in all, I give it one giant thumbs up. Good luck with the project.
The compressor wash setup we will be using is freshwater forced through
very small automizing holes in the intake duct. washing the compressor
blades of any salt water accumulation.
Also a custom KN air filter will be used.
They fly helicopters in the pouring rain:wink:
Thank you for the support!
Here is a MTI fitted with the T53 -703 series
http://missgeicoracing.com/boat.htm
They are running BPM drives and a fixed runner.
Pretty high tech.
I wonder if The little lizard will insure my ARZZ:D

SnoC653
11-05-2007, 07:09 PM
yes we fly helicopters in the pouring rain, but the air intake is not a direct air intake, it has drain holes and turns to help remove the rain. And while rain is not that strong a stream, say spraying a garden hose in the front of that engine could damage a rotor. That is a very durable turbine as turbines go, but a turbine is still a lot more susceptable to FOD (foriegn object damage) than a piston engine. And when a turbine lets loose, believe me it is spectacular. I'm just wondering why not take a smaller turbine like from a jet ranger and use that. Still way more power than you'd need.

KNOT-RIGHT
11-06-2007, 05:28 AM
My Intakes are not directly coupled eithier They have huge drains.
I will post a picture when I get one assembled.
The exhaust also has a drain and is coupled via a flexable mount.
Rigid would be bad Big boats flex.
Here are a few examples.
The T53 is still the prefered choice.

KNOT-RIGHT
11-06-2007, 05:30 AM
51 V hull

KNOT-RIGHT
11-06-2007, 05:32 AM
40 Skater

KNOT-RIGHT
11-06-2007, 05:33 AM
another

KNOT-RIGHT
11-06-2007, 06:10 AM
yes we fly helicopters in the pouring rain, but the air intake is not a direct air intake, it has drain holes and turns to help remove the rain. And while rain is not that strong a stream, say spraying a garden hose in the front of that engine could damage a rotor. That is a very durable turbine as turbines go, but a turbine is still a lot more susceptable to FOD (foriegn object damage) than a piston engine. And when a turbine lets loose, believe me it is spectacular. I'm just wondering why not take a smaller turbine like from a jet ranger and use that. Still way more power than you'd need.
Last week I was on the phone with a FAA repair facility.
They do alot of work with the T53,s in crop dust application.
The FAA mechanic told me that in this application dust and the corrosive
chemical is ingested so much that they have a custom air cleaner (KN)
installed.
What really surprised me is they do exactly what you stated with a garden hose and literaly spray down the intake while it is at ground idle.