PDA

View Full Version : Gullwing Pictures

Rocknpalms
11-26-2005, 08:05 AM
The 19' gullwing style boat has interested me for quite some time and I am getting pretty serious in purchasing one. This will need to be a family river boat so the boat must be open bow. I know gullwing open bows are rare, but I have read post that mention them, but yet to see a picture. I would like to see a picture of the seating layout in particular. If any one can post a few pictures or let me know were to find pictures. If any one is selling one I may be interested. Also if a boat is not for sell but is available to look at (convince the wife this is our next boat) I would be interested in brining the wife to look at it.
Thank you for the help!

Gearhead
11-26-2005, 08:37 AM
I don't know this fellow, but he has e-mailed me with some information on his boats. The pictures he has sent look good and he has a website you can view. His name is Jay Erschen at Scorpion Boats. He reports that he builds the TX-19 (gullwing boats) in both a closed and open bow.
Scorpion Boats (http://www.scorpionboats.com/)
I personally have not seen an open bow. We all know the closed bow gullwings make great lake performance boats. I wonder how well they work with the additional weight of upholstery, etc. on the front in a performance situation? Anyway, I once thought about an open bow TX-20. I thought it may be a good lake boat too, but who knows.....

Jake W2
11-26-2005, 12:35 PM
PLEASE do not kill another TX 19 or CP 19 ect with an openbow.Get an Ultra 22 or 21 stealth or that alike if you want that.
Jake

Rocknpalms
11-26-2005, 01:23 PM
I will not cut up a Gullwing dont worry. I am looking for one allready done or order one new. If that helps.
Thank you for the advice on an ultra. Those boats sit too high not ready for the water SUV, that is not a true river boat in my eyes. I have owned a 78 Rodgers and 74 Tahiti, I am looking for a river boat with a little more room. I did see a 19 or so Blue Bubble deck Advantage open bow at Blythe this year that I would suit my needs but have yet to see another. (That boat started the search for something simular) Not sure if it was a custom or what year it was.
We did go look at an 89 Advantage Warrior Open Bow on Friday but the transom was way to tall. And did not like the covered engine.
I am looking at the Gullwing because it seems that hull will give me the most MPH with a least amount of HP to keep the boat reliable and quiet.
Any more help or suggestions on makes, models or boats for sale is greately appreciated.

Jake W2
11-26-2005, 01:46 PM
I think Cas has a Banher like you are talking about.About the only low profile hulls with an openbow I can think of would be Rochell,Omega,Tahiti,Hawaiian openbow ect style hull all of them are the same hull and deck.
Good luck
Jake

jstwkd
11-26-2005, 01:48 PM
I have a buddy selling a 02 19cp.....but its a closed bow.

old rigger
11-26-2005, 02:22 PM
the open bow bubble Advantage you saw would be the same boat as your Rogers, asuming you had a 18 Rogers, or even a flat deck for that matter. We did a bunch of the 18 open bows at Advantage, mostly with the e pump set up.
We also did the first open bow for Scoton at advantage with one of his CPs. We were laying up his hulls at the time. Not much room in that thing up front, and in my opinion, it was butt ugly.

sofa king smooth
11-26-2005, 03:52 PM
jstwkd
How about some info on your buddys cp.Have a friend looking for one.
Price,color, motor size etc?
Thanks

Rocknpalms
11-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Can any one shed some light on the pros/cons of the E pump. I was told moving the engine back effects the ride of the boat in a negitive way.

Squirtin Thunder
11-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Can any one shed some light on the pros/cons of the E pump. I was told moving the engine back effects the ride of the boat in a negitive way.
So don't move the engine, longer shaft or Jet-A-Way !!!
One real nice thing about the E-pump is it moves the engine back for more room in the boat if you are not looking for super performance.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97898&highlight=pump

Heatseeker
11-26-2005, 04:55 PM
I think Jettmugg had a cp open bow a while back. You might try contacting him for some pics.

Squirtcha?
11-26-2005, 06:20 PM
I think Jettmugg had a cp open bow a while back. You might try contacting him for some pics.
Yup, he did John. He was running some pretty impressive numbers for a mild engine'd lake boat with open bow too. If I'm not mistaken he was either in the high 80's or maybe even the low 90's.

jamessampica
11-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Dan have you fixed your boat yet?????
JIM S

Wicked Performance Boats
11-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Why take a Corvette and make a stationwagon out of it? Making a safe fast river/ lake boat out of a gullwing is a bad idea. The bow will be heavy and God knows its easy to take on water in an open bow boat, let alone have family and friends up front. Safety dictates this is a bad idea with a low freeboard. Gullwing don't push the water to the sides like a pointed vee boat. It will probably try to stuff the bow. Good luck, Budlight

NELSON#109
11-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Why take a Corvette and make a stationwagon out of it? Making a safe fast river/ lake boat out of a gullwing is a bad idea. The bow will be heavy and God knows its easy to take on water in an open bow boat, let alone have family and friends up front. Safety dictates this is a bad idea with a low freeboard. Gullwing don't push the water to the sides like a pointed vee boat. It will probably try to stuff the bow. Good luck, Budlight
now that may be a little much there BL... i wont bust ur nuts too much, but an open bow cp is a much smarter / less deadly river boat than a cp tunnel... i have seen, and talked with the ownwers of two diff open cp's... they both loved them, and thought they handled and performed great... i dont think the gullwing would be a whole lot difff than any other low free board open bow.. although, i never drove my little 18 cp, so i dont know first hand... but i do know the tunnel is a handfull on the river... i've only run mine a couple times on the river, and it was a bad idea both times... might not have been in the right state of mind!!!!.... as long as the owner understands what he has, and respects it, he'll be ok.. & that aplys to all perf boats.. they do look a little odd, but somtimes it's good to be diff... if the dude wants one, more power to him.... nelson#109

Wicked Performance Boats
11-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Nelson, I agree a CP tunnel is a handful. I don't know how experienced he is. I just have seen a few openbow boats stuff the nose. and take on a wall of water. The boat didn't sink but it scared the shit out of everybody! BL

Squirtin Thunder
11-26-2005, 08:06 PM
I have to agree that open bow low freeboard boats are a bad idea !!!

NELSON#109
11-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Nelson, I agree a CP tunnel is a handful. I don't know how experienced he is. I just have seen a few openbow boats stuff the nose. and take on a wall of water. The boat didn't sink but it scared the shit out of everybody! BL
Today 07:50 PM
i dont care what you guy's think, im gonna make mine an open bow as soon as i get home from the bar tonight!!!! BUD LIGHT, JAMES, YOU GUYS ARE WAY TO QUICK, you responded instantly... good reaction times.. ill talk at ya later, my BL is geting warm..... and yes, i bet ill run it at the river again, it does have cf #s... and im not done making bad choices.... beat it, nelson#109

victorfb
11-26-2005, 08:40 PM
oh cmon now nelson, lets not call your decisions "bad" lets call them..... well "stupid" comes to mind. lol
make yours an open bow. you crack me up boy.... :p

Squirtin Thunder
11-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Today 07:50 PM
i dont care what you guy's think, im gonna make mine an open bow as soon as i get home from the bar tonight!!!! BUD LIGHT, JAMES, YOU GUYS ARE WAY TO QUICK, you responded instantly... good reaction times.. ill talk at ya later, my BL is geting warm..... and yes, i bet ill run it at the river again, it does have cf #s... and im not done making bad choices.... beat it, nelson#109
How is the Lawnmower working these days ??? Nelson use the Gullwing it has a bit more freeboard than the tunnel.

victorfb
11-26-2005, 08:45 PM
How is the Lawnmower working these days ??? Nelson use the Gullwing it has a bit more freeboard than the tunnel.
screw that, use the tri hull and lets get that sucka shootin a roost 80degrees up allready. :)

Squirtin Thunder
11-26-2005, 08:49 PM
screw that, use the tri hull and lets get that sucka shootin a roost 80degrees up allready. :)
Tri hull - Gullwing whats the diff ???

Wicked Performance Boats
11-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Tri hull - Gullwing whats the diff ???
That's like saying " Ford or Chevy
' same but different spelling! Sanger,Hondo,Rogers,Advantage,ETC,ETC are all the same. BL

Jake W2
11-26-2005, 09:51 PM
Thunder knows that a 18 or 19 Gullwing will smack the $hit out of any Sanger jet out there. :crossx:
Tri hull come on it is a Cathedral hull, DON'T BE HATEN
Jake :rollside:

Squirtcha?
11-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Dan have you fixed your boat yet?????
JIM S
Got the seats out, fuel tanks drained and everything disconnected today, and I'll pull the motor and tanks out tomorrow. I've got a couple weeks of vacation time coming up in December so that's when it'll get flipped over, damage assessed and the real work will begin.
Thanks for asking Jim. Hope all is well with you.

Squirtin Thunder
11-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Dan, what happend to the boat ???

Squirtcha?
11-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Delamination. Met up with the eastside boyz a few weeks back. When we trailered up my kid noticed I was missing a big chunk of boat. Lost a piece about 6" wide and 2' long on the left between the side and the outmost strake.
Can't say for sure, but it might've been caused by my throughbolted fuel tank brackets. Once I get it all pulled apart, I'll have a better idea of what exactly happened. Hard to see it right now because the piece that's missing is sitting on the trailer bunk. I'll put some pictures up when I get it flipped over.
On a good note, it wasn't anywhere near the area that I blueprinted last winter. I reckon I must've done something right.

Squirtin Thunder
11-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Yes that is a good thing. Sorry to hear that though. I know you will get it squared away in time for winter boating !!!

bakerjet
11-26-2005, 11:00 PM
Got the seats out, fuel tanks drained and everything disconnected today, and I'll pull the motor and tanks out tomorrow. I've got a couple weeks of vacation time coming up in December so that's when it'll get flipped over, damage assessed and the real work will begin.
what the hell??

Squirtcha?
11-27-2005, 05:54 AM
what the hell??
I believe those were my exact words, when I saw the chunk missing.

Danhercules
11-27-2005, 08:46 AM
but yet to see a picture. I would like to see a picture of the seating layout in particular. If any one can post a few pictures or let me know were to find pictures.
I have seen pics on here. There was a pic of one infront of MPD's shop. Anyone got that pic? Help a brother out. (literally, LOL)

votech
11-28-2005, 07:39 AM
we have a very clean 19 cp gullwing for sale, it's here on boards " cpfor sale" or can email more pics, if you want a open bow i'm told it's easy for a good upolstry shop.thanks

LOWRIVER2
11-28-2005, 02:55 PM
It's very easy to make a 19 CP into an open bow.
I know two people who have them. One made his into an open bow 12 years ago, the other had Scotten make him one last year. I used to drive the 86 a lot. I'd keep kids , light weight in the bow as the boat will have steering issues when a lot of lb is up there. This boat is fine for the Parker bridge to Blythe. I would'nt be thinking Parker strip or any lakes though.
Scotten makes his with a small seating area and a large storage pod. My buddie's 86 looks more like a traditional open bow area with longer seats.
Scotten hates to make open bows and will do everything to talk you out of one. He thinks they're ugly too. I believe George of Clay Smith Cams owns one.
Whatever one thinks, it was fun spanking other brand semi vee jet guys who thought they were quick with an open bow, bimini top "family boat", LOL.

LOWRIVER2
11-28-2005, 02:57 PM
And as for CP's,
Scotten's old sales line was:
"Sooner or later, you'll own a Performance"
I'd say the MFG. cup at Ming (most number of a particular brand)has proven that point for several years.

Nucking futs
11-28-2005, 05:47 PM
What Happened Dan?

Squirtcha?
11-28-2005, 07:18 PM
What Happened Dan?
Not entirely sure. It might be obvious once I get it flipped over and the damage is visible (once again........the damaged area is sitting on a trailer bunk now). Sure looks like it hit a big jagged rock or something, but I was the only one driving it and never felt like I hit anything. I'm thinking it just delaminated for whatever reason.
It is in the area where my bolts for the fuel tanks go through the hull. It's possible that it started because of the bolts, tanks flexing, stress etc. in that area. I may just become the guy that tells everyone not to through bolt their fuel tanks. Remember.........I was the one that kept saying "Ah go ahead and throughbolt your tanks, it won't hurt anything. Mine's been like that for three years without a problem..........yah dah yah dah and so on, and so forth".
I've said it for years, if I try something and it doesn't work.........I'll post it up (no matter how stupid if makes me look). Guess we'll see here shortly.

old rigger
11-28-2005, 07:25 PM
I believe George of Clay Smith Cams owns one. (an open bow CP)
Yes he does, he got the first open bow we built.