PDA

View Full Version : gell cell?

missilemud
10-03-2002, 10:29 AM
these things any good?

Liberator TJ1984
10-03-2002, 10:35 AM
If you are referring to Optima Battery ..damn skippy they are ...we almost run them down here 90% of boats...only failure was due to trying to charge too hot overnight and burnt one up....dude was running boat all day with no alternater and was hot charging for next day... :cool:

missilemud
10-03-2002, 10:46 AM
yeah thats the brand name .. now whats this hot charge lingo?

rivercrazy
10-03-2002, 10:51 AM
Optima is actually not a Gell battery. Its a absorbed fiberglass mat battery. And they do kick ass!

missilemud
10-03-2002, 10:52 AM
roger that

comin' unscrewed
10-03-2002, 06:22 PM
Weight wise, how do they compare to acid lead storage batteries?

79Hawaiian
10-03-2002, 09:12 PM
I think Costco sells these now. Anyone seen them? I have been running Costco batteries for years (not gel cells). They have great prices and they have the best return policy on the planet!

Havasu Hangin'
10-03-2002, 09:18 PM
79Hawaiian:
I think Costco sells these now. Anyone seen them?Yep...I got one for the truck from Costco for $99. They sell the Red Top (automotive) Optimas, but I haven't seen the Deep Cycle Marine (blue top).
Shortly after, I had the alternator go out in the truck, so for safe measure, I took my 30-day old Optima back, and they erxchanged it- no questions asked.

Jordy
10-03-2002, 09:26 PM
Havasu Hangin':
Yep...I got one for the truck from Costco for $99. They sell the Red Top (automotive) Optimas, but I haven't seen the Deep Cycle Marine (blue top). The Costco's out here have red and blue top Optimas at about the best price in town unless you know someone with an in.
jordy :D

Liberator TJ1984
10-04-2002, 06:14 AM
The Optimas are a deep cycle type battery... what I meant by "Hot Charging" is the guy put his charger on Max.Amperage and left it charging overnight..remember just as a regular battery if you leave on too long it will evaporate all water out and burn up...it is always best to "trickle" charge when possible at lowest amps... wink

stix818
10-04-2002, 07:14 AM
I'm running the deep cycle optima with a 7AL3 ignition and thing is running F*CKING great. I usually only hot charge initially 10 or 15 minutes and then turn it down to a triggle charge for remainder of the night.

126driver
10-04-2002, 08:11 AM
We run the red top Optima without an alternator and after a heat it only takes about 15 minutes of trickle-charge to get it back to a full charge.

stix818
10-04-2002, 08:24 AM
126 how long is your usual heat? Have you ever checked the voltage after a full heat? Just curious. I run the yellow top deep cycle. Really only used it for a good day and haven't experience any problems. Boat turned over well and didn't miss a beat.

126driver
10-04-2002, 08:50 AM
Heats are five one-mile laps + two warm-up laps and one cool down lap. One guy that used to be on my crew and was into electrical stuff checked the voltage after a heat once. I can't remember exactly what he said except that he was amazed how little the voltage dropped.
I used to have a yellow-top Optima. That one is now sitting at the bottom of the Colorado river in Parker wink

missilemud
10-04-2002, 09:08 AM
I JUST GOT THE THING IN THE MAIL TODAY LOOK LIKE A NICE UNIT THOUGHT IT WOULD BE LIGHTER THAT, I'M RUNNING A 100 AMP ALT SO I GUESS THAT SHOULD KEEP IT TOPPED OFF

missilemud
10-04-2002, 09:11 AM
THE FOUR POST DEALLY IS NEAT TOO

BOFH
10-04-2002, 09:25 AM
There are only three types of battery technologies used in engine applications; Lead Acid, (normal Die Hard to Autozone) Gell Cell, and Absorbant (fiber)Glass Mat. The difference between them is cycles. A Lead Acid battery can only cycle a few times before loosing maximum charge, and it goes down from there. Lead Acid will give you the most capacity when new, but the capacity goes down quickly. The other difference is that Lead Acid batteries must be upright, and gass off a lot. My Gell Cell 8Ds are in my v-berth and could be upside down if I needed it!
The point is what are you trying to fix? Single battery in a weekender? Use a cheap Auto Zone, and replace it every season. Race boat with no alternator? Get a good 3 stage charger and a AGM. Safty for mounting somewhat sidewase, or off gassing? AGM or Gell. A pair of 8D's to run an inverter for the full sized fridge, and a few thousand wats of tunes while at anchor? AGM or Gell with a damn good 3 stage charger!
For more info, look at the West Marine catalog. They have a full page talking about the difference.

KC
10-04-2002, 12:39 PM
Bought my boat this season and had a few battery challenges since the guy let them sit too long without a tender.
Now I have a new Group 27 cranking being tended by a 6amp BatteryTender. And a new AGM battery by MK, a 4D tended by a 20amp TrueCharge. The boat lives in Lake Havasu AZ, 115+ in the summer, the TrueCharge offers a temp sensor that adjusts the charge. The TrueCharge brings the 4d up to 100% overnight with no gasses and no corresion on the terminals. For me the AGM works great, no hassle. Look at www.batterystuff.com (http://www.batterystuff.com) , great information. KC
[ October 04, 2002, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: KC ]

SK48
10-04-2002, 09:10 PM
I have four boats (stupid) all have optimas blue top marine. One of my optimas is almost 5 years old and still going strong. My flatbottom has no alternater, and I run all day with no problem and charge the battery overnight. I have been rotating them by putting a new one in the flatbottom every year and moving it to another boat at the end of the season. I like the fact there is no acid to spill and screw up the anadozing in the boats.
The red top is automotive starting 800 amps, the blue top is Marine starting 1000 amps, and the yellow is deep cycle.

stix818
10-05-2002, 06:51 AM
My old man had a red top that he put out to pasture for about two years (115+ heat) when we finally found a need for it in his old/new (got stollen) Hondo river boat. He put an overnight charge on it and slapped it in the boat and fired the damn thing right up. I couldn't believe it!!! :confused:

missilemud
10-05-2002, 07:10 AM
STIX PUT THAT THING IN THE WATER, NO TRAILER RACES PLEASE , THANKS ALL FOR THE INFO ON THE ELECTRIC ITEM NOTED

stix818
10-05-2002, 09:36 AM
If I'm trailer racing it allows me to bring the boat home in one piece and I can go out another day. :D Unless of course I decide to do some high speed passes down Hwy. 95 with a cold one in one hand and who knows in the other. :D

missilemud
10-05-2002, 11:12 AM
OK............ :confused: :confused: :confused:

LeE ss13
10-05-2002, 03:49 PM
126driver:
We run the red top Optima without an alternator and after a heat it only takes about 15 minutes of trickle-charge to get it back to a full charge.Scott ...
A typical electronic ignition needs 14.7 volts to work correctly. Paul W. in ss211 used a 16 volt battery to make up the difference to run with out an alternator. Use an Alternator !!!! We use a Blue top Optima.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Raceboat_Arenas/Circle_Racers/Alternator.JPG
[ October 05, 2002, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: LeE ss13 ]

126driver
10-05-2002, 04:07 PM
yeah, I know. On the to-do list.

Maverick
10-14-2002, 06:53 PM
missilemud:
these things any good?I ran an "orbital" cell battery. Worked good for two years then on re-charging in the boat at speed it would "spike" the volts to 16 + (in split second series). I burned up some good electronics before trouble shooting it to the battery.
Be careful.
Mav