PDA

View Full Version : "Proud Mary" #275 Restored!

EXTREMEBOATS
11-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Feed back on this story is appreciated!
“Proud Mary” Rife McCally retired from drag boat racing and sold her boat in 1985. The next twenty five years brought many changes to the sport of drag boat racing in an effort to increase driver safety. Mary also went through many changes in her life during her retirement as well. Her love and passion for the sport never faded though and in August of this year Mary Rife McCally and #275 “Proud Mary” were reunited.
“Proud Mary” #275 has under gone an “extreme make over” after being retired to a garage for the last twenty years. The boat does not meet the current safety standards and will not compete. She has been restored exactly as she was in her glory days of the ‘70's. In 1973 a 392 motor built by Jo Pat Williams was put in the hydro. They hoped for a speed of 155 mph, but, her first pass off the trailer was a 157 mph. Later a motor built by Jim Wright helped Mary set a world record for The Fastest Woman On Water, 200 mph in a quarter mile, which she still holds today. Mary’s first win in the TFH class was in 1978. She beat a boat named “Blood, Sweat, and Nitro” driven by Mike Stevens, built by Gene Deaver, with a motor by Jim Wright.
The California Hot Rod Reunion, held in September, at Lake Ming invited Mary to bring her boat and make an exhibition pass. This was the first time a drag boat has ever been invited to participate in “Cacklefest”. This event features famous drag car racers from the ‘60's and ‘70's. Unfortunately restoration took a bit longer than anticipated. The NJBA was holding a race at Lake Ming in October, and Mary was invited to that event for an exhibition pass. Mary and her crew had very little time to complete the restoration of the boat and motor and be ready for their nostalgic debut. On Sunday, October 16th, they picked the boat up from J.J. Beaver and headed out to California. Three days later they arrived in Bakersfield, the same place Mary had started her racing career in 1968.
Before the races started, on Thursday, the crew began to arrive. Jo Pat Williams, Jim Wright, Gene Deaver, MaryÂ’s niece, Nikki and boyfriend, Garry all came to help. Mr. Frank Strickland, with wife Linda and mother, Mary came from northern California to help his old friend from the past. Old friends, Dale and Evelyn Zunner helped the team by feeding them for all three days. The ladies sold t-shirts for Mary while the gentlemen helped out in the pits.
There was no time to test original 392 motor they also restored or check for leaks in the hull before they arrived, so they had to work out some of the bugs before they fired her up. After preparing the motor for it’s first fire they took the boat down to the water to check for leaks. Two big leaks were discovered. They took her back to the pits and made the necessary repairs. Finally ready to make a pass, Mary began to suit up. As Mary put on the helmet she’s had since 1972 and her life jacket that was too big her neighbor in the pits noticed they were very unsafe. Mr. Bill Fauntleroy, of Lifeline gave Mary a jacket and a new helmet. “Thank you, Bill!”
It was late on Saturday and Mary was ready to make her first run. She was in the water, she started the motor, but , when it was time to go, she could not get it in gear and had to be towed in. Gene Deaver looked in the boat and immediately saw the problem. The handle that puts the gear box in gear did not have enough travel in it and needed to be adjusted. The adjustments were made, but they would have to wait until the next day to try it again. The great folks from the NJBA allowed Mary to make her pass on Sunday. They put #275 in the water, put her in gear, and fired the motor. “I went about 300 feet, then put my foot in it and did a small burn out”, says Mary. “Boy, I can’t tell you how excited I was just to sit in that seat again. The boat felt GOOD!”
Mary hopes to be at some of the races in Texas and California next season. She is looking for a fuel sponsor to help cover some of the expense and would like to thank the following people for all their help and support:
Paul Schavrien
Mike Kuhl
J. J. Beaver
Bobby Hewitt
Dickie Davenport (paint)
Jim at Competitive Sheet Metal
Rolf Simmons (NJBA)
and all her friends and family.
Achieve is a verb meaning to bring about or accomplish by effort, skill, or courage. Effort is the vigorous or determined attempt or a strenuous physical or mental exertion. Skill is the ability to do something well. Courage is defined as the ability to do something that frightens one and having strength in the face of pain and grief. The dictionary defines a hero as someone admired for their courage and outstanding achievements. Feeling pride or satisfaction in one’s own or another’s achievements is how the word “proud” is defined. “Proud Mary” is the perfect name for #275 and her driver, Mary Rife McCally. She is truly a hero for the sport, women, and me.
Kristina Cline

voodooCanoe
11-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Achieve is a verb meaning to bring about or accomplish by effort, skill, or courage. Effort is the vigorous or determined attempt or a strenuous physical or mental exertion. Skill is the ability to do something well. Courage is defined as the ability to do something that frightens one and having strength in the face of pain and grief. The dictionary defines a hero as someone admired for their courage and outstanding achievements. Feeling pride or satisfaction in one’s own or another’s achievements is how the word “proud” is defined. “Proud Mary” is the perfect name for #275 and her driver, Mary Rife McCally. She is truly a hero for the sport, women, and me.
Kristina Cline
Right on the money. I hope some day to be able to meet her. Always a fan!

Hud
11-27-2005, 03:40 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/119IMG_00291.jpg :DPhotos by "Speed Freak Photography"

Hud
11-27-2005, 03:47 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/119DSC_4999x.jpg

Hud
11-27-2005, 03:48 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/119DSC_5016x.jpgNice photo! I'm there......C'mon!

steelcomp
11-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Nicely written...put a little lump in the throat, if ya know what I mean. I was standing right there when Mary was trying on those life jackets and getting settled in the boat. I couldn't help but just stand there and watch, trying to imagine what it must be like to be literally going back in time. Shortly before, I had asked her if she ever imagined becoming the icon that she has become. I could tell she was almost overwhelmed by the emotion of the whole thing...she just shook her head and said "no", with a look of amasement, and then was quickly cought up in what was taking place.
I tell ya, that was one of the coolest moments I've ever had, standing right there, seeing the expressions on her face as she sat down in that seat, jacket on, putting her hands on the wheel, wiggling and squirming down and getting comfortable. You could see in her face...it was like coming home to an old friend...one she hadn't seen for a LONG time, and one she truely loved, and dearly missed. Just like the ol' days. :cool:

steelcomp
11-27-2005, 04:17 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/119DSC_5016x.jpg
This is an awsome pic.