PDA

View Full Version : Mounting foot pedal to the floor, have some ?'s

TIGGER
05-14-2006, 10:49 PM
The original throttle cable on my boat was corroded and the plactic jacket was missing in some places. I found a good used one with the pedal on Ebay this past winter. The previous pedal, which is the same one as I just purchased, was mounted to a 1x8 that was screwed to the floor. It was wobbling anyway. I want to clean it up and just mount it to the floor but I am not sure if it will hold as the floor does not seem strong enough to take the force. What is the best way to anchor the pedal to the floor and keep it from pulling out?

tahitijet
05-14-2006, 11:42 PM
mine kept pulling out no matter what i did. I tried everyting suggested at the time on this site.. Finally I drilled out the holes a little and used large drywall toggle anchors. it's as solid as it gets now.

wrenchdaddy
05-15-2006, 03:59 AM
Mine is held down with some 3/8 wood lag screws, about an inch and a half long, its never pulled out.

FASTRAT
05-15-2006, 10:32 AM
You could always get some 1/4" by 6" bolts, go all the way thru the floor and put lock nuts under the hull. Seal it with some good silicone and VIOLA, no more foot pedal problems:crossx:
OMG...where did u come up with the "crazy" idea of drilling holes thru ur hull??...except for the intake grate & maybe a turning fin...u should never drill holes thru the bottom of ur hull...the best method of anchoring the gas pedal is the way TJ suggested...it will never come loose...i sure hope ur pedal isn't mounted that way!!
fastrat

455Rocket
05-15-2006, 11:02 AM
You could always get some 1/4" by 6" bolts, go all the way thru the floor and put lock nuts under the hull. Seal it with some good silicone and VIOLA, no more foot pedal problems:crossx:
ThatÂ’s some funny shi*... People actually try to pull that off. When I was shopping years ago for my 1st jet, I found a guy that mounted his seats all the way through the hull. There were something like 12 bolts through the bottom :idea:
Try blueprinting that!

inwo
05-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Thats the way I mount everything. I also use stainless wing nuts to make it easy to work on.
Just be sure to turn all the wings in line with the hull, unless you're a circle racer.
:p

R.A.D.man
05-15-2006, 12:50 PM
I used the threaded inserts designed to screw into wood leaving you a machine thread for mounting the pedal. Been like that for several years, has not come loose yet. Mine are set in 3/4-inch plywood and I used a little epoxy as well. Had the carpet out recently, the inserts and surrounding wood are in perfect shape. I found these in stainless steel at a Ace Hardware long ago. I have seen these at Lowes, but not sure if they are stainless.

Aluminum Squirt
05-16-2006, 09:09 AM
All jokes aside, do not drill holes through the bottom of your boat. I had to mount a few things through the bottom, but that's only because the safety rules require my roll cage to be through bolted with backing plates. My set up is race only, and there are no bolts in my running surface (about the last 2' of my hull)-Aluminum Squirt

FASTRAT
05-16-2006, 09:26 AM
All jokes aside, do not drill holes through the bottom of your boat. I had to mount a few things through the bottom, but that's only because the safety rules require my roll cage to be through bolted with backing plates. My set up is race only, and there are no bolts in my running surface (about the last 2' of my hull)-Aluminum Squirt
Amen Bro...i know these people had to be jokeing...no1 is that dumb/stupid!...or are they?
fastrat

Rampager
05-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Well A. S. didn't say it so I will suggest you weld it
:)
Cheers
(of course after you get a tin boat like everyone should have...)
p.s. there are almost 100 bolts thru the bottom of my hull :D (no im not kidding)

78CoLe
05-16-2006, 07:37 PM
mount it to the striger if you dont got them go buy a boat with them ha ha jk
my buddy used these stainless fastners they use for the back side of drywall they exspand when you tighten them he got the idea from a eliminator rigger

TIGGER
05-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys. I will head to the hardware store tomorrow and see what they have.