PDA

View Full Version : Cat Insurance Very Cheap

Sandbar Junkies
08-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Call Mona Krocka 562- 866-7077 She got my Mach 26 DCB insured and it was less than a thousand bucks a year. She was almost a thousand dollars cheaper than my next quote. It's worth your time to make the call tell her your a friend of CARL's and she will take care of you. Don't talk to any other agents just Mona. You won't be sorry.

BlownForce 29
08-05-2003, 03:46 PM
will they insure a boat with 1200 hp?

Havasu Cig
08-05-2003, 03:48 PM
What company do they use to underwrite the policy? What power and speed did you claim? Just curious.

Sandbar Junkies
08-05-2003, 03:55 PM
BlownForce 29:
will they insure a boat with 1200 hp? She says they will insure all cats. She seemed to think the HP did'nt matter but I would call her. It's worth the phone call trust me.
[ August 05, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Sandbar Junkies ]

Havasu Cig
08-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Sounds to good to be true, be careful. I got a similar quote on our Mach 26, but they later cancelled us when it went to the underwriter. The agent did not know what he was insuring.

Sandbar Junkies
08-05-2003, 04:42 PM
I have been insured since Feb and the underwriter knows it is a cat he has pics of it from all angles and She did'nt have to lie about the HP.

Havasu Cig
08-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Sandbar Junkies:
I have been insured since Feb and the underwriter knows it is a cat he has pics of it from all angles and She did'nt have to lie about the HP. Cool, sounds like a good deal. I was paying $3500. a year.

Three Days Only
08-05-2003, 05:21 PM
I tried to get my new boat insured through State Farm, They said I was good to go, and then bounced that shit back like a racquet ball when it hit underwriting. Excuse was, no large boats, especially cats, horsepower didnt matter. I only have two HP500's for now. Anyone got anyone else? 36 spectre, 940 HP, Im taking delivery in about three weeks, and need insurance badly.

Havasu Cig
08-05-2003, 05:25 PM
Three Days Only:
I tried to get my new boat insured through State Farm, They said I was good to go, and then bounced that shit back like a racquet ball when it hit underwriting. Excuse was, no large boats, especially cats, horsepower didnt matter. I only have two HP500's for now. Anyone got anyone else? 36 spectre, 940 HP, Im taking delivery in about three weeks, and need insurance badly. State Farm did the same thing to us.

Three Days Only
08-05-2003, 05:36 PM
They lead me on and then drowned me. I need someone else. Found a guy in florida. 5400 a year. Not good!!!!!

Sandbar Junkies
08-05-2003, 05:39 PM
She works for State Farm but she uses another company to do the underwriting. Give her a call she told me she can get it done you may save some cash.

Havasu Cig
08-05-2003, 05:41 PM
Have you tried Total Dollar. We went through Sy Goldberg. We got an agreed value policy with good coverage for a reasonable price. The number is 845-356-7251. Good luck.

Charley
08-05-2003, 10:53 PM
Havasu Cig:
Three Days Only:
I tried to get my new boat insured through State Farm, They said I was good to go, and then bounced that shit back like a racquet ball when it hit underwriting. Excuse was, no large boats, especially cats, horsepower didnt matter. I only have two HP500's for now. Anyone got anyone else? 36 spectre, 940 HP, Im taking delivery in about three weeks, and need insurance badly. State Farm did the same thing to us. I used Greg at Worldwide who underwrote with Markel... triple deductable but about $1000 cheaper than the next quote... he was attentive and straight forward in all dealings and phone calls.

Three Days Only
08-05-2003, 11:37 PM
Charley,
Can you pm me with a number, I will get on it tommorow!

mbrown2
08-06-2003, 07:26 AM
Charlie, what is Greg's number?
Also, SBJ, I will give your person a call and see what they say about a twin Whacka... :)

Three Days Only
08-06-2003, 08:22 AM
Havasu Cig:
Have you tried Total Dollar. We went through Sy Goldberg. We got an agreed value policy with good coverage for a reasonable price. The number is 845-356-7251. Good luck. Tried Sy @ Total Dollar, refered me to American Marine. He stated " There Cat Program Is Not Up and Have Nothing To Offer". Guess I will see where the referal leads! Thanks for the info though!

Three Days Only
08-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Im starting to think that you cat guys must cause alot of problems. I have never had a problem getting insurance like this, its crazy!!!!!

LAVEYSABRE575
08-06-2003, 09:28 AM
i also used greg at worldwide great service no bullshit....thanks charley for the referral

RP
08-06-2003, 10:34 AM
Sandbar Junkies:
I have been insured since Feb and the underwriter knows it is a cat he has pics of it from all angles and She did'nt have to lie about the HP. What type of HP do you have... 500 or less on a 26ft? that might explain the good deal!

Tee
08-06-2003, 10:54 AM
I have my cat insurred with Allstate. They told me as long as I keep my house with them they will insure my boats. Nobody else would touch it for close to the same money.
698.00 year, 22 Sport Cat

Charley
08-06-2003, 02:53 PM
sorry 3d and MB here is the # I left him a message warning him about you guys wink
Greg at Worldwide's number is 1-800-339-1235

Sandbar Junkies
08-06-2003, 03:53 PM
mbrown2:
Charlie, what is Greg's number?
Also, SBJ, I will give your person a call and see what they say about a twin Whacka... :) Hey Mike she is the same girl that Quoted you before. She found a place and she says the HP dos'nt matter. It's a phone call if she does the submits the app you are binded for at least 30 days but she says it's no problem.

fat rat
08-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Tee:
I have my cat insurred with Allstate. They told me as long as I keep my house with them they will insure my boats. Nobody else would touch it for close to the same money.
698.00 year, 22 Sport Cat I'll almost guantee they don't have it listed as a cat.....I've been with Allstate 15+ years and they will not insure Cat's. They have your hull type listed as something else, to get you in. I would check with your agent.

Three Days Only
08-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Tee
I tried allstate too. They have my house, and cars, and she just laughed at me!!!! Maybe it the fact that the boat is 22', that might make a big difference. State Farm said they would consider cats under 28'.
[ August 06, 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Three Days Only ]

Three Days Only
08-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Charley:
sorry 3d and MB here is the # I left him a message warning him about you guys wink
Greg at Worldwide's number is 1-800-339-1235 Thanks for the info Charley. I will call tommorow and see what happens. Wish me luck!!!

jlnorthrup122
08-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Also there is Worldwide Marine insurance. they have exclusive high performance catamaran insurance programs.
1800-339-1235
fast cat insurance (http://www.worldwidemarineins.com)

nobling
08-06-2003, 09:15 PM
HEY THREE DAY I GOT COVERED BY THIS CHICK KIM AT A LOCAL OFFICE HERE IN VALENCIA.SHE ASKS YOU WHATS THE HP,YOU SAY AROUND 200 TO 400 ,SHE SAYS GOOD ANSWER....OR SHE SAYS I THOUGHT IT WAS AROUND 200 TO 300 HP,THEN YOU BETTER SAY OH YOUR RIGHT. YOU KNOW WHAT IM SAYING!!!!!!!!
CALL ME AT THE OFFICE FOR INFO.I PAY $960.00 YR.
LATER DUDE,CALL ME IF YOU GUYS GO OUTT.

Three Days Only
08-07-2003, 08:56 AM
nobling:
HEY THREE DAY I GOT COVERED BY THIS CHICK KIM AT A LOCAL OFFICE HERE IN VALENCIA.SHE ASKS YOU WHATS THE HP,YOU SAY AROUND 200 TO 400 ,SHE SAYS GOOD ANSWER....OR SHE SAYS I THOUGHT IT WAS AROUND 200 TO 300 HP,THEN YOU BETTER SAY OH YOUR RIGHT. YOU KNOW WHAT IM SAYING!!!!!!!!
CALL ME AT THE OFFICE FOR INFO.I PAY $960.00 YR.
LATER DUDE,CALL ME IF YOU GUYS GO OUTT. [/b]
NoBrains,
What are you going to do if there is an unexpected accident. There going to refund your money and cancel your ass because you filed false info. You know they look for any way possiable to get of paying a claim, and most of the time they will find it. They do not want to pay any more then you want to pay them. Then what, your F@%ked thats what. There's alot of idiots out there, it will probably be someone elses fault but thats not worth it to me. I guess my balls are smaller then yours. I like my house, business, cars, bank account, and boat. Why dont you throw your money away on a real policy that actually might pay for a claim and protect your assests, god for bid there is one, then waste it on a bullshit policy thats going to bail on you.
3 Days till broke.
[ August 07, 2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Three Days Only ]

Three Days Only
08-07-2003, 09:01 AM
jlnorthrup122:
Also there is Worldwide Marine insurance. they have exclusive high performance catamaran insurance programs.
1800-339-1235 Charley gave me this info last night. I called them today and we will see what becomes of it. Thanks alot for the referal.
3 Days

Robbie Racer
08-07-2003, 09:59 AM
I called all of the people that say they will insure high performance boats. Everyone choked as soon as I mentioned 1100+ hp and 120 mph in a 25' cat, except one. That was Alliance Marine and they use Lloyds of London to underwrite. If you are running a stock motor at 80 mph in a cat, then you have several insurance options. R/R

nobling
08-07-2003, 10:34 AM
HEY LAST DAY ITS STILL COVERED FOR THE FULL VALUE,ON THERFT OR DAMAGE,AND LIABILATY.THE RESON FOR THOSE ANWSERS IS TO "GET A POLICY". SHE KNOWS EXACTALLY WHAT YOU HAVE AT THE TIME YOU PULLED THE POLICY,BUT MOTOR CHANGES HAPPENED AFTER YOU GOT THE POLICY.DONT WORRY CALL HER AT LEAST YOU WILL HAVE COVERAGE,INSTEAD OF BEING IDOITT!!!!!!!!!!1

SteelClipper
08-07-2003, 12:43 PM
nobling:
HEY LAST DAY ITS STILL COVERED FOR THE FULL VALUE,ON THERFT OR DAMAGE,AND LIABILATY.THE RESON FOR THOSE ANWSERS IS TO "GET A POLICY". SHE KNOWS EXACTALLY WHAT YOU HAVE AT THE TIME YOU PULLED THE POLICY,BUT MOTOR CHANGES HAPPENED AFTER YOU GOT THE POLICY.DONT WORRY CALL HER AT LEAST YOU WILL HAVE COVERAGE,INSTEAD OF BEING IDOITT!!!!!!!!!!1 You are the idiot. For one, take your caps lock off. Second, you only need one exclamation mark to make your statement "enthusiastic."
When you sign your application your are verifying that the warrantees are valid and true. If they are not, then the insurance company can and will deny any and all coverage. If there is proof of material misrepresenation, then the insurance company can refund your money and cancel your policy back to inception.
Yes, motor changes do happen, but you are under obligation to notify your insurance company and/or agent of those changes. Because suddenly, your boat is not the one stated on the declarations page.
Let's say you have a claim. Your boat is a 26 DCB with twin 300x Promax on the back. You tell your agent that it only has ONE 225 Merc mariner and it can only go 40mph tops.
Now, a claim happens. You take a hard 90 trying to avoid a stump. You and your passengers are jetsam. One of those passengers is dead. Now, you have a physical damage claim AND a high liablity claim.
The insurance adjuster checks the policy with the facts of loss and deams that the boat was never suppose to be written with the company and the insured "misrepresented" the vessel to bind coverage. Your money is refunded, the policy is cancelled back to inception, and the insurance company file something called a declaratory judgement in front of a federal magistrate.
Now, you have a wrecked boat. The family of the dead person is after you for a quarter of a mil and you have no insurance company backing you. Oh, you could sue your insurance company but they have a dec action through federal court. If you want to sue the company, Einstein, it's not going to go through a local court. It's going fed. 9 times out of 10 the federal court is going to side with the insurance company because they are not following state law, but federal law which is base on international maritime law (read: underwriter friendly).
I apologize to all that I called this individual a name at the outset of my post, but people like this are the reason cat insurance is very hard to come by.
Peace, friends.
[ August 07, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: SteelClipper ]

25 Eagle
08-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Good post, so true.

fat rat
08-07-2003, 06:27 PM
25 Eagle:
Good post, so true. I also agree.

fasteddie51
08-07-2003, 07:54 PM
If you can't afford to pay, well then you can't afford to play !!! It's that simple!! Get something you can afford.......... wink

nobling
08-08-2003, 12:41 AM
First of all: I dont abuse the privalage of driving a 100+ boat like most people on the water.
Second of all:Its the guy thats buying the big dollar boat thats bi--hing about the cost.
Yes and i agree you PLAY you PAY.
Buy a 200K ride pay 200K policy.And if you cant you most likely cant afford it.But there are companys like that one that will help insure the poor trying to be rich guy thats out to prove a point on the water by going a buck fifty up river on a saturday afternoon during rush hour...
And to remind you the boat that king ding dong most likely had before maxxed out at 55mph.
And usually the first time they drop the sticks
its to late to realize stuff comes up real fast,oh sh--,its to late.king ding dong and his
family are jacked..
P.S. Idiott boats dont have brakes!!!!!!!!!!

Havasu Hangin'
08-08-2003, 03:49 AM
SteelClipper:
...You take a hard 90 trying to avoid a stump.What's a stump?

SteelClipper
08-08-2003, 04:53 AM
Havasu, I keep forgetting most of you boat in places which don't have trees. Stumps can also be rocks, dead heads, floaters (Mr Hoffa is that you?), logs, and othere small masses of debris.
nobling, I was not discussing abuse. You can flip a cat at 55mph. Denying claims is also very expensive and time consuming on the part of insurance companies. It's less costly, however, than defending and/or paying out on an unacceptable risk claim. My point was that even the most safe operator can have a claim even if it's not your fault. What happens if you get hit by your 'King Dong'? (Hmmm, that sentence didn't sound too good did it?)
Anyway, since insurance is almost impossible to come by for a cat that exceeds 100mph, Mr. Dong was insured for only liability at the Arizona state minimum of $15K per person not to exceed $30K per accident bodily injury. You're messed up to the tune of 100K with doc bills and the like. You would probably like to go against your UNDERINSURED boater coverage offered by your policy. Nope, coverage denied base on you misrepresented yourself on the application/policy. Now you're in a heap of debt for the short term and probably the long term. You attempt to sue the guy responsible but litigation and settlement could take YEARS. Meanwhile, you're personal health insurance dries up, your credit goes to hell, and a host of other things could go sour for you.
Even though you may be a very conscientious boat operator (and I confidence base on your post that you are) you still can't be 100% sure you're NOT going to have an incident or accident.
I'm only sharing this information with yourself and the other members of this board because this is a very real possibility. There's a saying in the insurance world: "Always cover your ASSets."
Peace, friends.
[ August 08, 2003, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: SteelClipper ]

Charley
08-08-2003, 07:29 AM
I got the short end of the stick with DCB's insurance company , thank god Dave @ DCB had the integrity and good heart to do the right thing based on principal.... I guess my point is that insurance companies absolutelly will find a way NOT to pay you if there is any legal justification to do so.... in the immortal words of JamesH "Sad but True"

Dave C
08-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Steel is 100% correct.
Read the fine print. DO NOT MISREPRESENT YOURSELF on your insurance policy, unless you can defend it in court.
It will be cancelled and the the plantiff will then own your house and you will be making the payments.

jackpunx
08-08-2003, 08:12 AM
So I have a Stoker SST 224.. it will go about 96 with stock 500HP .. the only place this is documented is in ***boat.. My ins guy tells me just say it goes under 70 and I’m good.. In your experience.. Do you think that I’m screwing myself by doing that?.. He said that once they have approved the Ins .. Im covered no matter what.. They approved me as a Mod VP Eliminator. Stoker was not in their list.. My paperwork calls my boat an "Eliminator Stoker SST 224"
Thanks

SteelClipper
08-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Jackpunx,
You're safe, your agent isn't. Agents have something called "Errors and Omissions Insurance" (E&O in insurance lingo). Basically, it covers them if they screw up an application.
You divulged the information to your agent and your agent misrepresented the speed despite what you said. That's not your problem. If there is a claim, you have coverage but the agent will have a claim against his E&O and possibly have his contract with that insurance company yanked. That's bad for him/her because if he wants to get the ability to write another insurance carrier, that carrier looks to E&O history and makes a judgement call. If enough carriers deny to write him/her, then that person is going to end up asking you if you want to supersize your value meal.
However, you will have insurance until renewal when that company, more than likely, will choose to non-renew your risk if the true MPH is discovered by the claims representative or underwriter.

jackpunx
08-08-2003, 09:17 AM
PHEW..... wink thanks.. Got me nervous..
Have a great weekend

SteelClipper
08-08-2003, 09:27 AM
Jackpunx. Fly safe, my friend. If you do have a claim, it will be a miserable experience with quite a delay on resolution. You're going to have to deal with a bunch of he says/she says nonsense that will drive you to the nearest pub.
Oh, I forgot to mention that if a claim goes against an agent's E&O, their E&O insurance premium increases dramatically. Poetic justice, no? :D
[ August 08, 2003, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: SteelClipper ]

Three Days Only
08-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Im not complaing about the cost of insurance, until they offer me a policy that is 10% deductiable, with a 3 mo lay-up, and they want 6700 a year. Thats sick. Thats more then my fricking payment per month. Maybe I should put nothing down have the large payment and my insurance wouldnt seem that bad. I have only got one real quote so far from 6 differnt companies, must of them wont even touch it. It all breaks down to never owning a cat before. I know this is a secret society of cat owners trying to keep the V-Bottom guys down!!!! I will get the insurance from the cheapest legit company with no bullshit. Sometimes it is better to nut up, tell the truth, and know that your assets and ass are protected, then god for bid end up in a cardboard box on skidrow due to an accident, and they do happen just hopefully not to any of us (Knock On Wood).

Three Days Only
08-08-2003, 06:05 PM
Sandbar Junkies:
Call Mona Krocka 562- 866-7077 She got my Mach 26 DCB insured and it was less than a thousand bucks a year. She was almost a thousand dollars cheaper than my next quote. It's worth your time to make the call tell her your a friend of CARL's and she will take care of you. Don't talk to any other agents just Mona. You won't be sorry. Sandbar Junkies: Looks like Mona might payoff after all. She has been my cheapest quote to date with legit info. Allstate might come in alittle cheaper, and then I will not have to deal with underwriting due to an exsisting policy with the company. The girl is straight up and know's boats. It was a pleasure talking to her, and thanks for the heads up!!!
3Days

Three Days Only
08-08-2003, 06:09 PM
Nobling,
Kims a no go. I already have a policy with allstate, and they will not cancel and change offices. They said I need to stick with my original agent and they would not transfer the account. Nice Try Though. I have an idea why your might be so cheap. They quoted me as a Catamaran, 940HP, Lake and Inland, 500K Liability, 2000 Deduc. for 890 dollars. Dude, they quoted it as a Catamaran (Sail Boat) thing with 940 HP. When she changed it to a tunnel hole, it went through the roof. That would be an intresting ride though! wink

BoatPI
08-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Note to everyone insuring a cat or other HP boats. Acurately state the boat size and horsepower. Misrepresenting the horsepower is call a "material misrepresentation". Such a thang is cause to deny claims and revoke the policy effective the date of binding. So you will be SOL.
Markel, Western Marine Insurance, and many others are first rate companies.
[ August 09, 2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: BoatPI ]

Tee
08-11-2003, 06:17 AM
fat rat:
Tee:
698.00 year, 22 Sport Cat I'll almost guantee they don't have it listed as a cat.....I've been with Allstate 15+ years and they will not insure Cat's. They have your hull type listed as something else, to get you in. I would check with your agent. Hey Fat Rat,
Your right, because of the center sponson. He listed the Hull type as a "Mod VP" or something like that. Model is listed as 22 sport cat though.

Timer
08-12-2003, 07:24 AM
Mona turned me down because her underwriter has said no more cats.

Havasu Cig
08-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Timer:
Mona turned me down because her underwriter has said no more cats. Better to find out now than after the policy was accepted. Sounds like they may be canceling a few policies like they did to us.

Three Days Only
08-12-2003, 07:20 PM
I ended up going through Markel. 5240 per year, 2% deduct, 3 mo lay up, 300K Lia, 185K boat value, uninsured and all the rest of the bullshit. Thought I could find it cheaper, but it's just not out there, at least not for what im buying.

mbrown2
08-12-2003, 07:28 PM
The title says Cat Insurance Cheap....
Unless you are lying or only doing 70-75, there ain't no such thing as cheap cat insurance. :)
Mona has not gotten me a quote yet, and that is after two calls. I have already gotten a quote I thought was reasonable from my current agent, so I will go that way unless I find something that is better that is legit. :confused:

Three Days Only
08-12-2003, 07:40 PM
I talked to Mona, she said she had to outsource to a broker, he came up with a quote. It was alot higher then what I just got through Markel. There expensive, but theres no bullshit and they will cover the fastest shit out there. Also Blakadar / Bill Butler was resonable and straight up. They simply ask the model of the boat, and do a mathematical equasion with the horsepower, weight, and some factor mine was 300 and almost hit the speed right on the money. There no bullshiting around that.

Sandbar Junkies
08-13-2003, 08:50 AM
Mona can no longer insure Cat boats.... sorry! She has the best rates for ANY other kind of boats though. She has a friend who is a broker and can insure Cats through progressive insurance. The rates are a little higher, but there is no problem with HP or speed and all the info can be fully disclosed. His name is Russ at Roger Stone Insurance. (949)757-0270 ext 230 tell him Mona referred you. You can also email to Russ@stoneins.com
[ August 13, 2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Sandbar Junkies ]

Three Days Only
08-13-2003, 11:28 AM
Sandbar Junkies:
Mona can no longer insure Cat boats.... sorry! She has the best rates for ANY other kind of boats though. She has a friend who is a broker and can insure Cats through progressive insurance. The rates are a little higher, but there is no problem with HP or speed and all the info can be fully disclosed. His name is Russ at Roger Stone Insurance. (949)757-0270 ext 230 tell him Mona referred you. You can also email to Russ@stoneins.com I talked to russ also, he stated top speed can not be higher then 70mph. Closed me down!!! Markel is the best option. Expensive, but they can insure all high HP cats.