PDA

View Full Version : Balancer removal

dtr352
11-30-2005, 01:36 PM
I am trying to remove the harmonic balancer from my bbc. I already removed the crank bolt from the front. I believe it is a two piece balancer. Do I need to remove the three torx bolts too or does it come off in one peice like a stock unit?

rich seibert
11-30-2005, 02:14 PM
i do not know exactly what kind of balancer you have , but it should come off with a puller/complete/...... if it come off in 2 pieces it may not be any good,if you can swing it use a sfi balancer, safer in the long run,
my 2 cents,
good luck

dtr352
11-30-2005, 02:35 PM
The balancer is an SFI Superdamper. I just looked at it again and there are six torx bolts not three that I believe allow it to be rebuilt and indexed. I am curious because I have never tried to remove one like this before. Usually balancers come off fairly easy, but this one broke my craftsman puller and my new proform puller and never seemed to move. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Infomaniac
11-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Who installed it?
ATI balancers must be honed for proper fit. if not, it takes dynamite to get them off. if it is an internal balance engine, do not take it apart.
Get yourself a good puller that has a solid round body with a bearing in the center. Proform makes one. Get them at Doug herbert, Summit etc.

dtr352
11-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Who installed it?
ATI balancers must be honed for proper fit. if not, it takes dynamite to get them off. if it is an internal balance engine, do not take it apart.
Get yourself a good puller that has a solid round body with a bearing in the center. Proform makes one. Get them at Doug herbert, Summit etc.
It is Teague motor. They installed it and as far as I know nobody has ever removed it. I have heated it around the crank snout and sprayed penetrating oil but the thing won't move. I have the proform puller you are talking about but it seems powerless. Any ideas?

fleetimus
11-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Make sure you have the pivot on the end of the threaded shaft. If not, it bind and not move. I found out the hard way. Three bolts into the pulley holes and it should come off.

dtr352
11-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Make sure you have the pivot on the end of the threaded shaft. If not, it bind and not move. I found out the hard way.
What do you mean? I have the three bolts in the balancer tightened evenly. I did notice after one attempt, when I took the puller off that the part you turn on the shaft had binded up against the bearing in the plate. I had to use a wrench to seperate them (by turning the tool the other direction). Is this what you are talking about. The bearing is fine and everything works in my hands but when I put a wrench to it the to parts get stuck together. Whats up?

Infomaniac
11-30-2005, 05:08 PM
It is Teague motor. They installed it and as far as I know nobody has ever removed it. I have heated it around the crank snout and sprayed penetrating oil but the thing won't move. I have the proform puller you are talking about but it seems powerless. Any ideas?
Well I'm not into competitor bashing so the brand of engine does not hold any clout with me.
You have this puller? Not using the pointed end but the end that threads into the crank.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/pro-66514_w.jpg
If so it is more than enough to remove ANY properly fit and installed balancer. Sounds ike it has rolled the key or was not properly fit during installation. As long as it has not been damaged in any way. Call the engine builder and give him the story. Ask for suggestions.

dtr352
12-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Well I'm not into competitor bashing so the brand of engine does not hold any clout with me.
You have this puller? Not using the pointed end but the end that threads into the crank.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/pro-66514_w.jpg
If so it is more than enough to remove ANY properly fit and installed balancer. Sounds ike it has rolled the key or was not properly fit during installation. As long as it has not been damaged in any way. Call the engine builder and give him the story. Ask for suggestions.
Thanks for the help. I am just going to take it to the machine shop and let them deal with it. It had to go there any way.