PDA

View Full Version : Non boat / 1969 Camaro Question

UtlGoa
12-01-2005, 06:46 PM
I recently purchased a 69 Camaro with a SBC. The oil pan has seen better days and I need to replace it. Can I lift the motor up a couple of inches to get enough room to drop the pan? I really don't want to take the motor completly out until I'm ready to send the car off to get a complete restoration.
I was thinking of lifting the motor up, and then blocking the motor mounts up for safety. If anyone else has a better way to do it please let me know. This is my first muscle car and any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Moneypitt
12-01-2005, 10:05 PM
No. The oil pump will stop you unless you also remove it, then fart around trying to get it back on with the new pan. Even if you're sucessful with jacking the motor half way out of the car, after removing the fan and shrould, the distributor and at least some of those rusted on exhaust donut bolts, 90% of those pan jobs LEAK. Save the grief, jerk the motor, you'll be glad you did..........MP

GofastRacer
12-02-2005, 05:22 AM
It'll take less time to do it if you yank the motor, and you'll be sure it won't leak!..

sgdiv7
12-02-2005, 06:20 AM
I say pull the motor also, but...... The book says you can do it with out pulling the motor. Take the fan off, flywheel cover off, undo idler arm, fuel line @ pump, jack up motor and put 2 -5" long 2x4's under motor mounts. Turn the crank so the timing mark is facing the bottom and have at it. I have done lots of them back in the day. but it is easyer to pull the motor if you don't have a lift.
Bill

UtlGoa
12-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Crap!!!!! I really don't want to pull the motor just to put a oil pan on. Well looks like I'll be going and buying an engine hoist. As for leaks, I bought one of Fel pro's one piece oil pan gasket. Hopefully that will take care of any leaks.

Mighty Thor
12-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Yes, you can remove the pan by lifting the engine up. I pull the distributor to get more clearance at the fire wall. also pull the fan shroud and fan as stated above. Exhaust has to be taken loose, I have even unhooked the tranny mount to get extra room. You can also slack the subframe bolts to get more room.

84 camaroturbo
12-03-2005, 12:04 AM
make sure when you do it buy a one piece oil pan gasket they dont leak as often and are alot easier to install especially in the car.

Rexone
12-03-2005, 01:04 AM
Crap!!!!! I really don't want to pull the motor just to put a oil pan on. Well looks like I'll be going and buying an engine hoist. As for leaks, I bought one of Fel pro's one piece oil pan gasket. Hopefully that will take care of any leaks.
make sure when you do it buy a one piece oil pan gasket they dont leak as often and are alot easier to install especially in the car.
:)

UtlGoa
12-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Well I got the pan off and the new one installed without pulling the motor. I must say the Fel Pro gasket made it very easy.

wet77
12-05-2005, 03:19 AM
I found it easier to take the front clip off :220v:
Just started my 69 SS BB frame off :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10056&stc=1

UtlGoa
12-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Sweet, I'm going to farm mine off to a restoration shop.

sweet-v
12-07-2005, 06:08 AM
Well I got the pan off and the new one installed without pulling the motor. I must say the Fel Pro gasket made it very easy.
Did you put a new oil pump in also?

UtlGoa
12-07-2005, 07:02 AM
Yeap, I also installed a new timing chain while I had the front of the motor off.