PDA

View Full Version : snout heights

lucky
05-15-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm going to re do my 177 - have a 671 that i could part together - but don't want to
My boat is done , i do not want to cut the deck cover off , so I need to get some measurments if you would please engine is a 468 ci chevy
I would like to get dimensions from the crank (center ) to the snout bolt ( center ) for the following blowers
any of the 250 series blowers
b/m 420
whipple quad ( this one really interestes me as the advertise a height of 14 inches to carb flange )
any help would be appreciated - chris
view pic to see what i'm up against -

ghittner
05-15-2006, 12:47 PM
I've got a 420 right here but I'm confused as to what you want me to measure? Engine crank? What snout bolt?

lucky
05-16-2006, 05:37 AM
center of the crank pulley to the center of the drive pulley --

ghittner
05-16-2006, 06:23 AM
OK height, I thought you were looking for length for some reason. I'm not assembled yet so let me know if I can get some other measure for you. I also have a 177 Merc SC here as well. I meassured from the front gasket surface of the intake bottom to the top of the carbs when I set mine up will that help?

lucky
05-16-2006, 09:45 AM
OK height, I thought you were looking for length for some reason. I'm not assembled yet so let me know if I can get some other measure for you. I also have a 177 Merc SC here as well. I meassured from the front gasket surface of the intake bottom to the top of the carbs when I set mine up will that help?
I have my 177 all set up , What i'm looking at doing is finding a different , ( larger ) blower to fit in an existing configuration- ( under my hatch ) I have a brace that runs across my hatch , right about where the upper pully would be with a typical roots blower , so i'm looing at more low profile blowers -- I COULD HAVE GOTTEN A REAL NICE 250 with carbs on the boards , but i blew that one :) anyways -- I'r really interested on the dimensions of the whipple dual quad - if i can squeeze the under my hatch it would be an e ticket :)

ghittner
05-16-2006, 11:48 AM
177 is 11" from front bottom intake. 420 is 12 1/4. Height difference between the two = 1.25" Hope that helps.
I've got a just set up Merc S/C 177 with all pulleys and an 1150 Dominator if anyones interested.

lucky
05-16-2006, 01:16 PM
177 is 11" from front bottom intake. 420 is 12 1/4. Height difference between the two = 1.25" Hope that helps.
I've got a just set up Merc S/C 177 with all pulleys and an 1150 Dominator if anyones interested.
yes thank you :)

ghittner
05-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Hey Lucky, you got me to thinking and I'm glad you called my attention to this. I mocked up my engine compartment on Saturday and notice how far FORWARD the blower snout sat on the new 420 I'm installing. Clears my rear seat by 3/8 of an inch, but no biggie I can allways modify that. So I get to looking down below and PANICK strikes me as I can clearly see the bottom 16 rib pulley will plant itself right into my 75 gallon gas tank! :220v: SH"+:****T I scream!!!! Well it clears up and over the tank by 3/8 " also!!! At least in my projected measuring....I HOPE!!!! See Ya.

lucky
05-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Hey Lucky, you got me to thinking and I'm glad you called my attention to this. I mocked up my engine compartment on Saturday and notice how far FORWARD the blower snout sat on the new 420 I'm installing. Clears my rear seat by 3/8 of an inch, but no biggie I can allways modify that. So I get to looking down below and PANICK strikes me as I can clearly see the bottom 16 rib pulley will plant itself right into my 75 gallon gas tank! :220v: SH"+:****T I scream!!!! Well it clears up and over the tank by 3/8 " also!!! At least in my projected measuring....I HOPE!!!! See Ya.
measure twice - cut twice has always been my Motto :) glad ya noticed it !-