PDA

View Full Version : SILICONE ON HEAD BOLTS???

TANK
08-11-2003, 06:46 PM
HELLO EVERYONE I WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINION ON PUTTING RTV SILICONE ON MY HEAD BOLTS BEFORE TORQUING THEM DOWN.454-BOWTIE ALUMINUM HEADS.THANKS FOR ANY INFO.

sleeker
08-11-2003, 07:14 PM
no i was always told it will gum up the threads and you wont get a correct reading on your torque wrench and could blow a head gasket.i use anti sieze.i dont think any water jackets run through the head stud holes on a bb chevy if thats why your thinking you want to rtv.

DUCKY
08-11-2003, 07:28 PM
On a standard MarkIV block, several of the head bolts thread into the water jackets, you must use rtv... I don't know about the Bowtie blocks, but the Merlin blocks are blind tapped (no water contact)

Infomaniac
08-11-2003, 08:20 PM
You better put something on them.
RTV or Teflon paste. Either one.
Just make sure you clean up any that wipes off of the bolt when you put it in the head. Do not want it in the oil pan.
Bring it to Broken Arrow. No charge. I will help you.
[ August 11, 2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

TANK
08-12-2003, 04:15 AM
Thanks for info guys.the bolts had silicone on them when I removed the old heads.I think I will go back with it.Hey Infomanic you ever run down on lake thunderbird?

HammerDown
08-12-2003, 05:35 AM
Teflon Paste used here...and yes several bolts/studs enter into the water jacket!

Infomaniac
08-12-2003, 08:53 AM
TANK:
Thanks for info guys.the bolts had silicone on them when I removed the old heads.I think I will go back with it.Hey Infomanic you ever run down on lake thunderbird? Never been there. Have been invited but never made it yet. Let me know when something is happening.
What lake is that West of OKC where they have the lake races the weekend after labor day? I would like to go to that for sure.

Oldsquirt
08-12-2003, 09:01 AM
HammerDown:
Teflon Paste used here...and yes several bolts/studs enter into the water jacket! Unless I'm mistaken, ALL headbolts on a BBC go into the water jacket.

Froggystyle
08-12-2003, 09:39 AM
You absolutely need to seal them, as well as your intake manifold bolts in several places. I have had best luck with Aviation Permatex Hi-Tack gasket sealent. It is non-hardening, comes in the little jar with a brush that you can evenly coat the threads with, torques properly and has not failed me yet. In addition, you can remove them easily enough and clean them up upon re-build. Available at Pep Boys too.
I have heard of many motor builders using 3M Weatherstrip (gorilla snot) adhesive for similar reasons. Not designed for it, but seems to work great. I would stick to the Permatex.

TheDude7667
08-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Its the Ford engines you dont use silly cone cuz the head bolts dont go into the water jacket.

TANK
08-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Infomaniac,are you thinking of lake fort cobb.If so thats what were getting the boat ready for.Alot of work ahead in the next few weeks:motor,paint,etc,I've got some help from a real vet.Pro mod #788 Jimmy Parsons,we are using his previos set of heads and cam in my motor.