PDA

View Full Version : Now it's my turn to vent...

Hotcrusader76
07-28-2003, 04:20 PM
Ok...motor is together...so far so good...
YEAH RIGHT...
Has anybody had this problem before?
I installed the BBC Victor 2-R intake today and for some odd reason my Mallory COMP 9000 dist. will not fit due to tower clearances and the base will not matte up to the intake boss...Ok...No shit...it's too big....moving on...
Next question....Now that I have decided to switch to a small base MSD Pro-Billet with slip collar...will the MSD dist be compatiable with my ALL Mallory set-up Hy-fire ignition or will it only work with MSD stuff? Trick question? No.
Wes and I have spent many hours laying this project out and organizing where everything is going, etc, etc...
Couldn't I just get a killer Mallory that will fit?
Ok....done venting...time to do some research...
~Ty
Ya know if I have to spend another dime on this freakin project... :mad:

FastRat1
07-28-2003, 04:38 PM
just my 2 cents...why dont u just take the stuff u have and sell it and put a Vertex Mag in it..no fuss..no muss..i have been running one for yrs..both in drag cars and boats..never any probs..also..no wear and tear on the battery..just a thought

Hotcrusader76
07-28-2003, 05:06 PM
So I take it that I need a slip collar version and quite possibly another dist.?
I ran this Mallory COMP 9000 before with my TRX Edelbrock tunnel for years...no clearance problems at all. Now it seems the Victor 2R is having none of this...
http://www.tpcracing.com/images_temp/Mallory_POS.jpg
http://www.tpcracing.com/images_temp/mallory_POS1.jpg
http://www.tpcracing.com/images_temp/mallory_POS2.jpg

Hotcrusader76
07-28-2003, 05:07 PM
And yes the dist. is engaged with oil pump drive. I verified with and without the intake manifold to see if anything was catching....nadda...it just doesn't want to touch the intake...
If I only had 1/4" more I could make this POS work.
~Ty

DogHouse
07-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Ty, this (http://www.electromotive-inc.com/products/hpx.html) would be my suggestion...
-brian
ps: Forgot to mention that the timing is so rock solid that the balancer/trigger wheel looks like it's sitting still under the timing light when the engine is running. My MSD stuff was never even close.
[ July 28, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: DogHouse ]

Hotcrusader76
07-28-2003, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the input guys but I may need to reclarify what I am after.
I will only buy MSD or Mallory at this point. I DO NOT want to ditch the Mallory set-up (Hy-fire and Mallory Coil) because they are already rigged and mounted. Bottom line is I need another dist. but a small cap MSD requires an MSD box. Can my Mallory Box fire that MSD small cap?
That is the question... :D
If I was to dump another loot of money into this motor I would have gone crank trigger...and don't temp me! wink

DogHouse
07-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Hotcrusader76:
...Can my Mallory Box fire that MSD small cap?
I would verify this with Mallory first, but yes the MSD distributor should be able to be used as a trigger for the Mallory box. You will just have to splice some wires if they don't make an adapter harness. I guess it would be nice to hear from someone who's actually tried it! :D

Hotcrusader76
07-28-2003, 05:34 PM
Well I know that the MSD has a black/violet(-) and the black/orange(+) and the Mallory has a green/violet/orange.
I will be calling Mallory tomorrow to see if they have anything that fits besides their COMP 9000. If all else fails I will call up MSD as well. Problem is....NO ONE IS HOME RIGHT NOW....LMAO...
I think it's Miller time..gotta go :D

HBjet
07-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Does Mallory make another (smaller) cap for that dist? I'm sure someone else has had this problem before.
BTW, my MSD fits nice!
Ok, sorry about that
HBjet

Hotcrusader76
07-28-2003, 06:38 PM
Randy...
Do you have the small cap MSD?
I think Mallory will be able to work something out...or at least have a clue with what's going on here.
I might check my cam gear again to make sure Mallory didn't switch something on me while it was out for refurbish...
Could that happen? Mr.Murphy says so...LMAO
~Ty

wsuwrhr
07-28-2003, 08:03 PM
Maybe I'm reading your post wrong. I don't see from the pictures that you have a cleance problem. But if the problem is you need a slip collar made, I can turn up a spacer or whatever you need to take up the gap the distributer has between the block.
It would be easier than drinking a beer on a hot day.
Brian

565edge
07-28-2003, 08:58 PM
It looks likem someone turned the collar area down on the intake?Make a spacer?Or is the cap hitting the runner somewhere?

LakesOnly
07-28-2003, 08:58 PM
***boats....like Hotrods, man. It's all about custom fab...
LO

GofastRacer
07-28-2003, 08:59 PM
FastRat1:
just my 2 cents...why dont u just take the stuff u have and sell it and put a Vertex Mag in it..no fuss..no muss..i have been running one for yrs..both in drag cars and boats..never any probs..also..no wear and tear on the battery..just a thought Yes indeed, been using one for 25 yrs, simplicity to the max and never let me down!. :cool: :cool:

sgdiv7
07-28-2003, 09:10 PM
Hey doghouse, I have had that ign. system for three years now and has never moved once. I have buddy's that have to retime there motors because there dist. turned from either romping when the oil is still cold or the hold down loosens up for what ever reason.
Plus I like the idea of not having to use a timing light after the first time you set it up. Just adjust the knobs with a digital volt meter.

DogHouse
07-28-2003, 09:41 PM
Sgdiv7, glad to hear it's working well for you. I'm just starting out with my Electromotive stuff and am still amazed at how good the timing is. Nice looking flattie in your profile. Do you run local or go to the river mostly?
-brian

Hotcrusader76
07-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Update...
After a long two hour break I decided to check and check again. What I found was the distributer wasn't fully engageing the oil-pump shaft....I mean I really had to wiggle that SOB until it dropped down further.
Now despite the fact that it seats now.....it is still a VERY VERY close call with respect to the tower hitting the intake plenum.
But thanks for the support guys... :D

Rexone
07-28-2003, 10:16 PM
So if it's a close call does that mean it clears or it doesn't? If it's that close grind a little aluminum away, run it and call it a day. :)

Hotcrusader76
07-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Rexone:
So if it's a close call does that mean it clears or it doesn't? If it's that close grind a little aluminum away, run it and call it a day. :) As long as my timing is on the money, one of the terminals will be tight. Yes it will work.....and I will do my darnest to make it!
Thanks for the words of encouragement Mike. :D

DogHouse
07-29-2003, 07:15 AM
Get out the power tools!!! :D

HavasuDreamin'
07-29-2003, 07:51 AM
DogHouse:
Get out the power tools!!! :D Don't forget the big hammer. :D

SchellSchock
07-29-2003, 09:38 AM
Don't forget the big hammer. Beat on it...if it breaks it needed replacing anyway!!!! :D :D

BK
07-29-2003, 11:44 AM
Hotcrusader76:
Update...
After a long two hour break I decided to check and check again. What I found was the distributer wasn't fully engageing the oil-pump shaft....I mean I really had to wiggle that SOB until it dropped down further.
Now despite the fact that it seats now.....it is still a VERY VERY close call with respect to the tower hitting the intake plenum.
But thanks for the support guys... :D I would still messure to make sure your distributor gear is sitting on the pump shaft correctly. I had no slip collor on my MSD and had to shim it up a bit for proper fit, heres what I used to solve my problem distributor shims (http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3630&prmenbr=361) . Good luck

Moneypitt
07-29-2003, 12:24 PM
As BK has said, make sure the dist. is in fact bottomed out on the intake, and not on the oil shaft. I sometimes use 2 gaskets just to be sure. The down side is the dist/oil shaft try to push the oil pump gear through the pump cover. Ever see those arcs on the pump cover when you take one apart? that is from over stressing the gear with the dist. hold down, and this also allows the dist to turn and screw up the advance...Just my .02........Moneypitt