PDA

View Full Version : Grass and weed killer.....

Ultracrazy
12-02-2005, 03:36 PM
What's the best? Need to kill weeds and grass and all the other crap in my yard in AZ.........it's about a 1/2 acre......so I'll need to use a "hose end sprayer" Suggestions????

riverbound
12-02-2005, 03:37 PM
We use Round up in one of those pump sprayers. Works great.

Jbb
12-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Roundup is what I use...

Mrs. Bordsmnj
12-02-2005, 03:40 PM
My husband had a brilliant idea once to use gasoline. Our entire house filled with gas fumes and we had to turn off all the pilot lights and stuff because we seriously thought our house was going to explode.
Needless to say, now we use Round-up. :rolleyes:

Ultracrazy
12-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Went to Home depot........they have at least three different ones....one version was about 99 bucks????

Ultracrazy
12-02-2005, 03:42 PM
My husband had a brilliant idea once to use gasoline. Our entire house filled with gas fumes and we had to turn off all the pilot lights and stuff because we seriously thought our house was going to explode.
I heard some use diesel fuel?? Lower flash rate.....?

Do F150's Float?
12-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Was he smoking a cigarette while applying the gasoline... like when he fills up the quads??? LOL

Mrs. Bordsmnj
12-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Was he smoking a cigarette while applying the gasoline... like when he fills up the quads??? LOL
I am sure he was. I was in the house on the verge of blacking out from the fumes.

Ultracrazy
12-02-2005, 03:46 PM
I am sure he was. I was in the house on the verge of blacking out from the fumes.
Where in GG do you guys live? I'm near Gilbert and Orangewood.

Rexone
12-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Went to Home depot........they have at least three different ones....one version was about 99 bucks????
That's the one I use. It's more concentrated and makes more juice. Roundup works the best of those I've tried but does take about 10 days to kill.

Rexone
12-02-2005, 03:50 PM
I heard some use diesel fuel?? Lower flash rate.....?
Diesel kills weeds good. Used to always use it when I was a kid in my dad's construction yard.
Also is like pouring oil on the ground. Not so good.

dicudmore
12-02-2005, 04:05 PM
I second the Round Up choice

AZKC
12-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Throw out a bunch of rock salt and then water. Nothing will grow there for quite a while. Works great in rock/gravel yards. Also throw it out before it rains and let nature do its thing :)

Brian Ray
12-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Round up in the purple bottle....costs more though.

H20 Toie
12-02-2005, 05:22 PM
i like the gas idea :yuk:

Rexone
12-02-2005, 05:23 PM
I second the Round Up choice
I can see that by your avatar :D

Ultracrazy
12-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Round up in the purple bottle....costs more though.
That's the $99 version........

Ultracrazy
12-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Throw out a bunch of rock salt and then water. Nothing will grow there for quite a while. Works great in rock/gravel yards. Also throw it out before it rains and let nature do its thing :)
Hmmmmmmm......really?? That's a lot of salt though.

ROZ
12-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Salt, like roundup, helps prevent photosynthesis. That's why both take a few days to turn the weed brown/dead... The idea is that the weed's leaves are much broader than grass, so whatever you broadcast will easily find a spot to land. That's not to say that it won't kill grass, besause it will. If you have otherwise good looking grass, it's best to put whatever product you like to use ito a large pump sprayer and spot shoot...
I put a small amount of concentrate into an inline feeder once.... too my grass a looong time to come back nice and healthy...

Rexone
12-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Don't use roundup on grass you don't want to kill. There are other products designed to kill broadleaf but not kill grass.

Ultracrazy
12-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Don't use roundup on grass you don't want to kill. There are other products designed to kill broadleaf but not kill grass.
I'm trying to kill every living plant in my yard :-).......I just want dirt and rock left :crossx:

Rexone
12-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Get some Ortho Triox, that shit will kill everything for like a year I think. Roundup only kills what's there and doesn't prevent future growth. Or you could just get some of Hoolign's turkey soup.

hoolign
12-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Salt, like roundup, helps prevent photosynthesis. That's why both take a few days to turn the weed brown/dead... The idea is that the weed's leaves are much broader than grass, so whatever you broadcast will easily find a spot to land. That's not to say that it won't kill grass, besause it will. If you have otherwise good looking grass, it's best to put whatever product you like to use ito a large pump sprayer and spot shoot...
I put a small amount of concentrate into an inline feeder once.... too my grass a looong time to come back nice and healthy...
Ditto on the salt!.. do a search on KCL water in your area... we had blowout years ago ( 5+) and it's still barren!

shueman
12-02-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm trying to kill every living plant in my yard :-).......I just want dirt and rock left :crossx:
Sounds like my neighbor....moved in 3 years ago, cut down all the trees, took out all the shrubs & plants, ripped out the sprinkler system.....and hasn't touch'd it since....grows 3' tall weeds this time of year.... :mad:

Ultracrazy
12-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Sounds like my neighbor....moved in 3 years ago, cut down all the trees, took out all the shrubs & plants, ripped out the sprinkler system.....and hasn't touch'd it since....grows 3' tall weeds this time of year.... :mad:
I'm going with the gravel, hardscape and low maintenance look.

sorry dog
12-02-2005, 08:33 PM
What's the best? Need to kill weeds and grass and all the other crap in my yard in AZ.........it's about a 1/2 acre......so I'll need to use a "hose end sprayer" Suggestions????
I might know a few folks that can help you with that problem.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-02-2005, 08:50 PM
If you go to a landscape supply store, you can get Round-Up Pro. That is what we use for our 12 acres. But it does take 10 days, so you think it's not going to work, then they start to yellow and d-i-e. It kills Eucalyptus and Poplar/Cottonwood also.

Ultracrazy
12-02-2005, 09:31 PM
I might know a few folks that can help you with that problem.
Like whom?

dirtman
12-02-2005, 09:44 PM
I'd use Glyfos to kill the greenery and a good soil sterilant to keep it gone. Just make sure you don't get water run-off into the neighbors yard.

Ultracrazy
12-02-2005, 10:01 PM
I'd use Glyfos to kill the greenery and a good soil sterilant to keep it gone. Just make sure you don't get water run-off into the neighbors yard.
Good call......thanks.

sorry dog
12-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Like whom?
I'd say a good portion of ***boat members, and probably all of their kids
http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/html/emoticons/1_4_110.gif

Forkin' Crazy
12-02-2005, 11:14 PM
If you can find a farmer.... cough....cough... sorry I'm too far away... :skull:
Get him to get you a 2.5 gallon jug of glyphosate (generic round up). You should be able to get it for about $16 to $20 per gallon. One quart mixed with 10 gallons will do one acre, so that should keep you busy for a while. Put a couple of drops of dish washing soap in it (after you mix it) as a surfactant.
:D
Oh and if you can't find a farmer, you can take a test from your county agent and get your own pesticide license. :rollside:

YeLLowBoaT
12-03-2005, 03:32 AM
Go buy some clear plastic. Masking plastic works great. 1-2 hrs in the sun and its toast. Its cheap and nontoxic.

havasu5150
12-03-2005, 06:48 AM
When I first move to AZ 2 years ago, The back half of my acre was sprayed with a combination of weed killer and pre-emergient. With all of the rain last winter, my neighbors all grew three foot weeds in their yards.....zero in mine....still zero. gonna have it done again, I'll find out what chemicals were used.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-03-2005, 07:13 AM
When I first move to AZ 2 years ago, The back half of my acre was sprayed with a combination of weed killer and pre-emergient. With all of the rain last winter, my neighbors all grew three foot weeds in their yards.....zero in mine....still zero. gonna have it done again, I'll find out what chemicals were used.
Wow! I want some of that! You would not believe how much maintenance goes into our property.

Ultracrazy
12-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Do tell..........!! I need something.......being a weekender is not conducive to keeping on top of controlling weeds.

Flying Tiger
12-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Round up comes in concentrate and superconcentrate.
The cost per use is the cheapest with superconcentrate.
I have 1/4 acre and hose end spray with superconcentrate at slightly less mix ratio than recomended.
Ya just have to get the weed/grass wet, not soaked. Spray with the breeze to your back, wear eye goggles, the stuff can easily blind you.
far far cheaper than hiring someone to whack it with weedeaters, and if ya give it a light spray as the ground starts to germinate, then it's all the cheaper to keep weeds from taking over.
Keeping my property clear helps the cat spot rodents like mice and rats and gophers much easier and he dispatches them with extreem prejudice.

Forkin' Crazy
12-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Round up comes in concentrate and superconcentrate.
The cost per use is the cheapest with superconcentrate.
Ya just have to get the weed/grass wet, not soaked. Spray with the breeze to your back, wear eye goggles, the stuff can easily blind you.
Not true:
VII. Safety precautions:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Signal word and definition:
Roundup® 2F: WARNING - CAUSES EYE IRRITATION. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. MAY CAUSE SKIN IRRITATION.
Rodeo® 4L: CAUTION - MAY CAUSE EYE IRRITATION. MAY BE HARMFUL IF INHALED.
Accord® 25W: CAUTION - MAY CAUSE EYE IRRITATION.
Primary eye irritation: In laboratory tests in rabbits, glyphosate was a mild eye irritant. (Toxicity Category III, Table I, Eye irritation).
http://infoventures.com/e-hlth/pestcide/glyphos.html
That stuff is about the safest there is. If you want to give it a kick, spike it with some 2,4-D. :crossx:
BTW the concentrate is designated by pounds of AI in each gallon. :)

Tahiti350
12-03-2005, 06:25 PM
I was thinking that if you made an anonymous call to the local police, tell them you suspect they are growing grass and weed at this address, adn they should take care of everything foir you, wouldn't have to worry about it again :rolleyes: .

Dribble
12-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Wal Mart sells their own brand. The exact same formula as Round Up for about half the cost.

Forkin' Crazy
12-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Wal Mart sells their own brand. The exact same formula as Round Up for about half the cost.
as compared to who? LOL!!! :D
It's all made by Monsanto.
I don't think they sell Roundup Ultra, Ultra Max, or Ultra Max II. :)

maxwedge
12-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Here in IL we have this stuff called "cold ****kn weather". It kills everything for about 4-5 months. Gets re applied every damn year for free too. Also, I have noticed that labrador piss works good on small areas, like most of my backyard. :) :)

Ultracrazy
12-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Here in IL we have this stuff called "cold ****kn weather". It kills everything for about 4-5 months. Gets re applied every damn year for free too. Also, I have noticed that labrador piss works good on small areas, like most of my backyard. :) :)
:D

havasu5150
12-04-2005, 07:09 PM
One ingredient in the mix is called direx...or Diruon. It is the herbicide in the mix. I am still working on finding out what the pre-emergient was....but I do remember when it was being sprayed....I was asked "wait a minute... you don't wanna grow anything here...ever.... do ya???

MagicMtnDan
12-04-2005, 07:49 PM
I thought this was a thread about "Grass and Killer Weed!" :rolleyes: