PDA

View Full Version : Intake Help

supersoaker509
12-02-2005, 04:48 PM
I just found out that when my boat was rigged they put in the wroug intake. I have a rounded kell and they installed a flat delta pad intake. :cry: Now I'm looking for info on a good intake. Any info on intakes, installation, removal would be great.
http://www.geocities.com/scooter20735/Other/B3.JPG

UBFJ #454
12-02-2005, 04:57 PM
What boat? What length? What does it weigh?

supersoaker509
12-02-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure of the weight, it's not a light layup. It is a 21ft JBE splash of a Daytona and has an AT 309 pump.

UBFJ #454
12-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Looks to me that the intake was installed to low for that shape/depth of keel and that the simplest (and lowest cost) thing he could do would be to take the intake out ... clean it up a bit ... reinstall it at the proper angle & depth (raise it up) ... then do abit of re-shaping of the transition from keel into the hole ... all in all, doesn't look like it would be that hard.
If the intake you take out doesn't look reuseable, then you might want to get a low profile one and use that.

Outlaw
12-02-2005, 07:06 PM
wow if they missed that bad on the intake I think I would check everything else while I had it apart. I bet the angle is way off also.

Squirtin Thunder
12-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Looks to me that the intake was installed to low for that shape/depth of keel and that the simplest (and lowest cost) thing he could do would be to take the intake out ... clean it up a bit ... reinstall it at the proper angle & depth (raise it up) ... then do abit of re-shaping of the transition from keel into the hole ... all in all, doesn't look like it would be that hard.
If the intake you take out doesn't look reuseable, then you might want to get a low profile one and use that.
You can do this, it is not hard to do, just takes time and patience.
It is not that hard to fix.
Give Ted a call, he is close to you !!!
1-800-Jet-Pump

UBFJ #454
12-02-2005, 07:16 PM
"I bet the angle is way off also."
Your quite right ... could very well be way off.

Taylorman
12-02-2005, 07:25 PM
You can do this, it is not hard to do, just takes time and patience.
It is not that hard to fix.
Give Ted a call, he is close to you !!!
1-800-Jet-Pump
Chet will be glad to help you.

cyclone
12-02-2005, 07:41 PM
BINGO. he's the man just ask him.

Cs19
12-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Somebody really blew it on that install.
Yeah, he could raise the front of the intake, then fill and blend the uneven areas like Bear said, but raising the intake/jetdrive that much could create a big problem in the driveline angle and your transom adapter is not going to fit like it used to.
Maybe just get the correct intake and go from there, you can find intakes on ebay all the time for next to nothing.While you have it out,maybe consider some upgrades..shoe,plate,etc.
There is alot of performance left in your boat, that is slowing you down bigtime.
Keep us posted.

supersoaker509
12-03-2005, 05:18 AM
Yes all of the angles are off. I plan on cutting the intake out today. I will be putting the proper intake back in. I'm looking at an AT 309 HP, Merisch or HTP Aggressor 5 degree Race Intake with shoe, ride plate, low profile. Looking for the proper way to install and any other help.

old rigger
12-03-2005, 09:04 AM
While bear is right in saying re-setting and raising the intake and doing a little reshaping and so on, I'm betting by the time you raised the intake enough to clear the outer edges, whick looks to be anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, you're not going to have enough material in the keel to bond it all in. You're going to have to build up the inside of the keel with some glass, otherwise the center bottom leading edge of that intake is going to be above the inside of it.
Make it easier on yourself and get a rounded intake. No mater what the angle is now, more than likely wrong, you're going to have to re-rig and drill new holes in the stringers for the engine mounts once you re-set the intake. Doesn't matter if you decide to use use this wrong intake or get the right one.

BigBlockBaja
12-03-2005, 03:51 PM
No mater what the angle is now, more than likely wrong, you're going to have to re-rig and drill new holes in the stringers for the engine mounts once you re-set the intake. Doesn't matter if you decide to use use this wrong intake or get the right one.
Just one thing that would make me kinda shy of drilling new holes in the stringers would be the proximity to the old holes. I pictured oblonged holes after a few rough water trips. Just a thing to think about.

old rigger
12-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Just one thing that would make me kinda shy of drilling new holes in the stringers would be the proximity to the old holes. I pictured oblonged holes after a few rough water trips. Just a thing to think about.
Short of going with a rail kit, or buying new feet for his mounts, how would you suggest he mount his motor mounts to the stringers without drilling new holes once he re-sets his new intake the correct way? None of the holes are going to line up once it's right.
It's not that hard to drill out the existing holes, and fill them with with a new wood dowel. Glass them in and you can re-drill with out any worries. :)

supersoaker509
12-03-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm looking for some feed back on the Aggressor intake, is anyone running it ?

Oldsquirt
12-03-2005, 06:07 PM
......I plan on cutting the intake out today........
I hope you didn't "cut it out" as in cutting the fiberglass, and instead unbolted it and cut only through the epoxy it was set in with. By the way, I might be interested in that intake if its not a beat up.

supersoaker509
12-03-2005, 06:30 PM
I hope you didn't "cut it out" as in cutting the fiberglass, and instead unbolted it and cut only through the epoxy it was set in with. By the way, I might be interested in that intake if its not a beat up.
I didn't get a chance to take it out today, just got a new chain for my chain saw so I will get it out tomorrow. :D :D
I will let you know if I get lucky and it comes out in one piece. :hammer2:

supersoaker509
12-04-2005, 09:42 AM
New chain worked out good. :D The intake came right out, took about 20min, I got real lucky.
How much is an intake worth with shoe and ride plate?
It is an Berkley flat delta intake # 2155 3/5/D on the intake all bolt holes and treads are in good shape, little clean up and install.
http://www.geocities.com/scooter20735/Other/I1.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/scooter20735/Other/I2.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/scooter20735/Other/I3.JPG

PC Rat
12-04-2005, 09:52 AM
New chain worked out good. :D The intake came right out, took about 20min, I got real lucky.
Got lucky huh. That is skill. Are you a professional logger?
Brian

supersoaker509
12-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Thanks for all the help. I just found a really good deal on a used Berkley contured intake that fit's my boat with shoe and ride plate. :D
Duane thanks for all the info you sent me it helped a lot.

Duane HTP
12-06-2005, 09:30 AM
No problem. You're welcome. Good Luck!

nitro557
12-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks for all the help. I just found a really good deal on a used Berkley contured intake that fit's my boat with shoe and ride plate. :D
Duane thanks for all the info you sent me it helped a lot.
give me a call when your ready ,i pulled my intake out of the back room this morning :idea:

supersoaker509
12-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Will give you a call tomorrow.