PDA

View Full Version : Guns & Roses: Appetite for Destruction...

Froggystyle
12-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Woke up this morning in a cold sweat and realized that I didn't own this album anymore! Something in the course of "growing up", "growing old", or moving had caused me to lose, misplace or otherwise become separated with this album. Too bad.
I just bought it (for like the fourth time) and firmly believe this was one of the best albums of its time. I knew every word of every song, and it brought me right back to the last two years of high school within seconds. Cruising, dating, getting in trouble for playing music too loud etc...
What a trip. I highly recommend playing this whole album today if you have it. If you don't, but you remember it, go buy it. It still rocks. I realize how far Velvet Revolver is from this sound now. Love VR, but it is no G'N'R.
My voice is hoarse now from trying to hit all of the harmonies on "Nighttrain" and going note for note with Axel on "Think About You".
Dang. Time to go find Cinderella "Long Cold Winter" somewhere...

hoolign
12-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Take me down to the very last city where the grass is long and the girls are prety ...oh won't you please take me hooooome..
Just listened to it this morning. I have 22,000 songs on two hard drives. G&R is one of my fav's. Ozzy tops the list..next is Crue.

wsuwrhr
12-03-2005, 02:59 PM
"If you don't like it, if you don't like it, I don't care."
Got it right here.
80's rock and glam rock RULED.
GNR was the shit.
Brian
Woke up this morning in a cold sweat and realized that I didn't own this album anymore! Something in the course of "growing up", "growing old", or moving had caused me to lose, misplace or otherwise become separated with this album. Too bad.
I just bought it (for like the fourth time) and firmly believe this was one of the best albums of its time. I knew every word of every song, and it brought me right back to the last two years of high school within seconds. Cruising, dating, getting in trouble for playing music too loud etc...
What a trip. I highly recommend playing this whole album today if you have it. If you don't, but you remember it, go buy it. It still rocks. I realize how far Velvet Revolver is from this sound now. Love VR, but it is no G'N'R.
My voice is hoarse now from trying to hit all of the harmonies on "Nighttrain" and going note for note with Axel on "Think About You".

MACH26
12-03-2005, 03:23 PM
That's funny....I just put in Use you Illusion 2 in today. That was the album when I was in high school. The song Estranged is a masterpiece.

HocusPocus
12-03-2005, 03:27 PM
i think i will go put in my KISS ALIVE 8-track then rock-n-roll all night and party everyday!

Forkin' Crazy
12-03-2005, 03:27 PM
I use to like their music OK...... but I still think Axel Rose sounds like you were scrubbing the hair of a cat's back the wrong way... :220v:
:rollside:

Boatcop
12-03-2005, 03:45 PM
The kids of Hanson are pussies .........
.......but they could still kick Axl's ass.

hoolign
12-03-2005, 03:49 PM
The kids of Hanson are pussies .........
.......but they could still kick Axl's ass.
Alan...grab your self by the back of the head...and Jet-Li it
into a decommisioned hull! ! :rollside:

INFINITEJJ
12-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Take me down to the very last city where the grass is long and the girls are prety ...oh won't you please take me hooooome..
Just listened to it this morning. I have 22,000 songs on two hard drives. G&R is one of my fav's. Ozzy tops the list..next is Crue.
I thought the grass was GREEN and the girls were pretty.

hoolign
12-03-2005, 04:31 PM
I thought the grass was GREEN and the girls were pretty.
my bad..to much erb tonight :rollside:

INFINITEJJ
12-03-2005, 04:33 PM
The Canadian version is different. If they said the grass is green, nobody would know what they were talking aboot, eh.
Good point! Take of eh hoser. lol.

hoolign
12-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Good point! Take of eh hoser. lol.
"off" is universal???? :rollside:

INFINITEJJ
12-03-2005, 04:35 PM
"off" is universal???? :rollside:
opps, "OFF". My bad.
Brain too fast, fingers too slow or visa versa???

hoolign
12-03-2005, 04:36 PM
opps, "OFF". My bad.
HE HE HE :rollside:

RiverOtter
12-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Mr. Brownstone.... One of my favs :cool:

hoolign
12-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Mr. Brownstone.... One of my favs :cool:
Used to do a little but a little wouln't do.. till ..a little turned to more and more..just can't wait to get a lil better ..just a lil better than before....we've been messin ..with mr brownstone ..he won't leave me ...leave me... alone.....

LUVNLIFE
12-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Def a badass CD from the before days. Yes I still have it and play it. :cool:

maxwedge
12-03-2005, 05:49 PM
My copy is on vinyl. And thanks to you guys, it's playing right now on the the same B&O turntable it played on the day I bought it. It was right next to Dio "Holy Diver" in the record collection. Might have to do that next. :)

wsuwrhr
12-03-2005, 07:01 PM
It was right next to Dio "Holy Diver" in the record collection. Might have to do that next. :)
Now that is a controversial cover. Not much fanfare that I remember.
A priest taking the nestea plunge with a ball and chain strapped to him.
I wonder how well that would do in the PC world we live in today.
Brian

Hipshot
12-03-2005, 07:19 PM
posted by Froggystyle...
I like that even better, and the chicks liked Cinderella too.

maxwedge
12-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Now that is a controversial cover. Not much fanfare that I remember.
A priest taking the nestea plunge with a ball and chain strapped to him.
I wonder how well that would do in the PC world we live in today.
Brian
This PC cover here?
http://www.moviemars.com/images/07599238362.jpg
Yeah I'm going to hell for sure, and the lyrics are a little..umm..borderline satanic..but the guitar playing kicks ass, so hopefully god will forgive me for listening. I know my wife won't. :)

JustMVG
12-03-2005, 07:53 PM
How funny i just got done listening to Sabbath "Heaven and Hell" with Dio taking over for the Oz man, G n R kicked ass, but i am loving Velvet Revolver, Weiand sonds better than ever and Slash and the boys still kick ass, you gotta see these guys live!!!

Froggystyle
12-04-2005, 07:55 AM
This brings me right back....
After GNR and Cinderella, there are a couple other bands that bring me right back to 89 or so...
George Thoroughgood, Born to be Bad...
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Runnin down the dream...
Motley Crue, Dr. Feelgood...
And the kicker... The Black Crowes. I felt as soon as I heard that album that I was listening to the first "classic rock" of my generation. Why those guys never hit it absolutely Rolling Stones huge I will never know.
While we are all bullshittin... How about Extreme? I know that monster rock ballad "More than Words" was the big hit, but there was some absolutely slaying guitar tracks on that album. Nuno Bettencourt was one hell of a guitar player.
Biggest suprise was a band called "Blind Melon" that had another rock ballad "no rain" go big. That whole rest of the album was hard as hell. Good music.

Just Tool'n
12-04-2005, 11:21 AM
i think i will go put in my KISS ALIVE 8-track then rock-n-roll all night and party everyday!
Man did I ever wearout Kiss Alive LP. When a song comes on radio from that album, it flashes me back to when I was a teenager, when life was dam good, & life was easy.
Now it time to get back to reality!

JustMVG
12-04-2005, 12:36 PM
You should hear the Black Crowes with Jimmy Page Live at the Greek Theater!!! Kicks some major butt, very nice stuff.