PDA

View Full Version : Smog check help!

XtrmWakeborder
12-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Hey guys since most of you are mechanically inclined i was wondering if any of you have tips to passing smog. I'm not too worried about it, but lately my injectors have been getting clogged and i haven't had the time to get them cleaned before the check. Do you guys think this will be a problem, and what are the tricks of the trade to pass? Higher octane etc...?
Thanks
David

Moneypitt
12-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Add some injector cleaner to your gas......It's cheap and it works. You should regularly use it at least every other tank of fuel. In this case, use it for the next 3, then test, then use it regularly..........Also helps with performance over the life of the engine......................MP

HocusPocus
12-03-2005, 09:25 PM
use a test only place....What is a Test-Only? Test-Only facilities are licensed Smog Check stations that, by law, are only allowed to test cars; they cannot repair them. Any needed repairs must be performed elsewhere at either a Smog Check station designated as a Test-Repair or Gold Shield station.
also see if you can get a pre-test done, sometimes this may cost a few bucks more but it can prevent you from tagged as a gross polluter if your vehicle doesn't pass.
this may also help: Smog Tips (http://www.smogtips.com/six_things.cfm)

maxwedge
12-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Just ask around the local gearheads to find out where the crooked smog shop owners are. Oops did I say that aloud.

mickeyfinn
12-03-2005, 09:35 PM
If all else fails you can run your vehicle almost empty, add a gallon of coleman fuel. DO NOT RUN ENGINE HARD, drive it easy and go straight to the shop. Once you pass emmissions carefully drive to the fuel pump, fill her up and enjoy. If you run the engine too hard your valves will be toast. I know several people who have passed this way.

Sleek-Jet
12-03-2005, 09:49 PM
We had much debate about it, and though it doesn't seem to help gas milage, acetone appears to help get you through the smog test.
Read more about it here . (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74975&page=3&pp=25&highlight=acetone)

XtrmWakeborder
12-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks alot guys. I've ran 2 bottles of gumout injector cleaner through already and it works for a couple of tanks and then its back to the same old stuff. I guess that will just have to due until after i get them cleaned. Thanks!

Flying Tiger
12-04-2005, 06:44 AM
If ya still need help Chester Cheetah owns a chain of smog stations around Cali.

YeLLowBoaT
12-04-2005, 06:55 AM
It alwasy help to get it good and hot b4 the test. They also sell some stuff that is made to help you pass, Its liek $6 and if it does not pass you get your money back. Some ppl beleave in it others don't. I used a bottle in minethis time and My #s went down compared to the last test. 40kish miles diff and set of plugs about 20k miles b4 the test( just like the last test) Same place, same tech, same machine. Still up in the air for me rather it works or not. I know my truck is in alot worse shape this time then it was the last.

NorCal Gameshow
12-04-2005, 07:00 AM
I only go to pass or don't pay test stations.
make the time to have the injectors pro cleaned. you will get paid back with the fuel savings. there is a cleaner that you hook up to the fuel line and run the car that works well. if you don't feel comfortable doin' that have a pro do it.
if you end up as a gross polluter it'll take lots more of your time ;)

MikeF
12-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Hey guys since most of you are mechanically inclined i was wondering if any of you have tips to passing smog. I'm not too worried about it, but lately my injectors have been getting clogged and i haven't had the time to get them cleaned before the check. Do you guys think this will be a problem, and what are the tricks of the trade to pass? Higher octane etc...?
Thanks
David
How old is the car?
Do you have a sheet that has the gas readings on it already?
How well do you maintain this vehicle?
Doing a pretest will let a tech know where the problem lies, or at least get an idea about what to work on.

HocusPocus
12-04-2005, 10:56 AM
If all else fails you can run your vehicle almost empty, add a gallon of coleman fuel. DO NOT RUN ENGINE HARD, drive it easy and go straight to the shop. Once you pass emmissions carefully drive to the fuel pump, fill her up and enjoy. If you run the engine too hard your valves will be toast. I know several people who have passed this way.
would this also work if they put your car up on that deal where they run it up to highway speeds while testing?

Just Tool'n
12-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks
David
Go trade it in, & buy a new one. Heck it's the american way!

XtrmWakeborder
12-04-2005, 03:21 PM
How old is the car?
Do you have a sheet that has the gas readings on it already?
How well do you maintain this vehicle?
Doing a pretest will let a tech know where the problem lies, or at least get an idea about what to work on.
The car is 10 years old now.
What sheet are you talking about? I have the last smog check sheet that tells me my co and no percents etc and it looks like i passed by about 5 times the max allowed.
The oil is changed every 3000 miles max. Its that time again and i'll do another right before the test.
How much would getting the injectors cleaned cost and where should i get it done? Pep boys...goodyear? Dealer...$$$$?

Kachina26
12-04-2005, 03:35 PM
What kind of vehicle? I'm a smog tech at my dealer. BTW, make sure you go to a test only station. They are not allowed to perform repairs and therefore won't fail you in an attempt to sell you work.

YeLLowBoaT
12-04-2005, 03:45 PM
What kind of vehicle? I'm a smog tech at my dealer. BTW, make sure you go to a test only station. They are not allowed to perform repairs and therefore won't fail you in an attempt to sell you work.
If it does fail by Law a test only center can't tell you what you need to fix so that it will pass.......If you are that worried about that happing a a shop, go else where.

Kachina26
12-04-2005, 03:54 PM
If it does fail by Law a test only center can't tell you what you need to fix so that it will pass.......If you are that worried about that happing a a shop, go else where.
Not everyone has a trusted shop they can go to, and despite the best appearances, some people are crooked or more commonly incompetent. Trust me, I've seen alot of it.

XtrmWakeborder
12-04-2005, 03:55 PM
It has to be a test only station as said on the form that they sent me for the registration. Oh and its a chevy blazer with the 4.3 vortech v6. I had my injectors cleaned right after i bought the vehicle at the service department at orange empire auto sales in orange "because of warranty" about 4 years ago. I think the cost was 180, but i'm not sure. They said it was normal for these engines with high milage 153k, to have it happen.
Ps. yes i know i need to call Jay up. :)

MikeF
12-04-2005, 04:27 PM
If you are trying to keep the vehicle then get the pretest done and post the #s here or PM me and or Kachina26. We can put you in the right direction as far as what to do next.
And make sure the Cat is good and hot when the tech does the test.

Boatcop
12-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Smog checks?
We don't need no stinkin' smog checks.
:p

Kachina26
12-04-2005, 04:53 PM
It has to be a test only station as said on the form that they sent me for the registration. Oh and its a chevy blazer with the 4.3 vortech v6. I had my injectors cleaned right after i bought the vehicle at the service department at orange empire auto sales in orange "because of warranty" about 4 years ago. I think the cost was 180, but i'm not sure. They said it was normal for these engines with high milage 153k, to have it happen.
Ps. yes i know i need to call Jay up. :)
So it's a 95 Blazer or a 96? There's a special policy on those injectors depending on the vehicle. PM me the last 8 digits of your vin and I can check it for you. The only real problems I have on those motors is leaking fuel pressure regulators, makes it run rich.

Kachina26
12-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Smog checks?
We don't need no stinkin' smog checks.
:p
They're coming, give it time :rolleyes:

XtrmWakeborder
12-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Where can i get the pre test done? Same test only station?

rrrr
12-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Have you tried sending a PM to Brown? He has an MP-5 that you could casually sling over your shoulder as you walk into the smog check place.
:D :D

Boatcop
12-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Arizona requires them in Maricopa (Phoenix) and Pima (Tucson) Counties, and anyone who works in and commutes into in those Counties. There has never been any discussion of making them statewide.
The rural Counties don't have any problems with vehicle caused air quality problems.

YeLLowBoaT
12-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Have you tried sending a PM to Brown? He has an MP-5 that you could casually sling over your shoulder as you walk into the smog check place.
:D :D
LOL in CA that means your not going home for about 10 years......

Kachina26
12-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Where can i get the pre test done? Same test only station?
yes

mickeyfinn
12-04-2005, 05:04 PM
would this also work if they put your car up on that deal where they run it up to highway speeds while testing?
It might work, but it might do damage as well. Coleman fuel is real "white gas" It burns ultra clean but will do a hell of a job on a valve train. Might try it with a beater that I didn't care about but not with a decent vehicle.

Kachina26
12-04-2005, 05:12 PM
We don't run them at highway speeds, we run them at 15MPH under heavy load to simulate acceleration and 25MPH under light load to simulate highway. I wouldn't do the Coleman fuel thing as the 15MPH test is a pretty heavy load and the tech isn't gonna baby it.

H20 Toie
12-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Just buy a new truck :) problem solved

XtrmWakeborder
12-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Just buy a new truck :) problem solved
Trust me, i would if i could. This ones payed off and college soaks up most of my money. I really like the 1500 crew cab chevys tho.

Dribble
12-04-2005, 07:26 PM
If you have were directed to Test Only and it fails the state will pay for your repairs up to $500.00. Your co-pay will be $100.00. DONT THROW YOUR MONEY AWAY ON A PRE-TEST. If it gross pollutes it only means you'll have to pass at Test Only or GPC, which is already the case. All this info is up at the BAR website.
http://smogcheck.ca.gov/stdhome.asp

HocusPocus
12-04-2005, 08:35 PM
We don't run them at highway speeds, we run them at 15MPH under heavy load to simulate acceleration and 25MPH under light load to simulate highway. I wouldn't do the Coleman fuel thing as the 15MPH test is a pretty heavy load and the tech isn't gonna baby it.
thats what i was thinking. :)
thanks for the info on the load test, i saw them do that test the last time i got a smog done but wasn't sure at what speeds it was done at and your right, they weren't easy on it.

MikeF
12-04-2005, 09:16 PM
1st things 1st.....Do what Dribble says. :boxed:

Oldsquirt
12-05-2005, 06:52 PM
If you have were directed to Test Only and it fails the state will pay for your repairs up to $500.00. Your co-pay will be $100.00. DONT THROW YOUR MONEY AWAY ON A PRE-TEST. If it gross pollutes it only means you'll have to pass at Test Only or GPC, which is already the case. All this info is up at the BAR website.
http://smogcheck.ca.gov/stdhome.asp
I have to respectfully disagree. First, only those who can prove financial need are eligible for the $500 assistance. Second, a vehicle that tests as a "gross polluter" during a "pre-test" does not get tagged as a gross polluter. The results of the test are recorded for use in the program's statistics, but since the car has not been "officially"tested, it is not treated as a gross polluter. This is the exact reason the pre-test was put into the program in the first place. If you are seriously concerned that yourvehicle is a "gross polluter", by all means spend the extra bucks for a pre-test. It will be a whole lot better than if you fail as a GP in an official test.

Kachina26
12-05-2005, 10:04 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. First, only those who can prove financial need are eligible for the $500 assistance. Second, a vehicle that tests as a "gross polluter" during a "pre-test" does not get tagged as a gross polluter. The results of the test are recorded for use in the program's statistics, but since the car has not been "officially"tested, it is not treated as a gross polluter. This is the exact reason the pre-test was put into the program in the first place. If you are seriously concerned that yourvehicle is a "gross polluter", by all means spend the extra bucks for a pre-test. It will be a whole lot better than if you fail as a GP in an official test.
Actually OS I was gonna make that same post. But, it looks like the rules for the CAP have changed a tad recently. If you were sent to a test only station, you don't have to be in financial need to qualify for assistance. As far as getting tagged as a GP, it doesn't carry the problems that it used to (having to go to the ref center for the next 4 years or whatever it used to be).

HM
12-05-2005, 10:22 PM
I had Carnitas tonight with secret sauce...I think I qualify as a gross poluter. :D

Kachina26
12-06-2005, 06:34 AM
I had Carnitas tonight with secret sauce...I think I qualify as a gross poluter. :D
I had lasagna, I never knew that it made me GP. The wife moved out to the couch :argue:

sorry dog
12-06-2005, 06:59 AM
We had much debate about it, and though it doesn't seem to help gas milage, acetone appears to help get you through the smog test.
Read more about it here . (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74975&page=3&pp=25&highlight=acetone)
Doesn't acetone eat or swell rubber?
I know JBB gets high off of it everyday.

Dribble
12-06-2005, 08:08 AM
You are wrong. How do I know? I work for the BAR Enforcement Division and worked on Program Implementation. Here's how it works:
If you are tagged as a gross polluter it only means that the re-test and certification must be performed at a Test Only or Gross Polluter Certification (GPC) Station (or Referee). There is no other stigma attached to the Gross Polluter. No annual test requirement. No automatic Test Only Requirement. Nothing. Once the Gross Polluter is passed, it is like any other vehicle.
If you are a billionaire and drive a Ferrari F-40 and are directed to test only, you automatically qualify for repair assistance (up to $500.00). Your co-pay is $100.00. If you are "income eligible" and fail at Test Only or a regular station, you qualify for repair assistance up to $500.00. Your co-pay is $20.00. This does not apply to change of ownership, if you already had repair assistance, or for tampered equipment.
If you're Test Only directed, A pre-test is a waste of your money. Bottom Line.