PDA

View Full Version : GPS recommendations

mondorally
05-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Anyone have recommendations for a handheld GPS? It's main use will be for boating in the ocean but it should also be functional on land (show freeways, cities, etc.) as I have a major road trip coming up (Flint, MI to Gardena, CA) and it would be nice to have the GPS to help me find home. Budget is up to $500 or so.
Thanks
-Justin

AZKC
05-15-2006, 11:42 AM
I just picked up a Magellan Sportrak Pro. Used it alot this passes weekend and it seemed tobe a oretty good little gadget. Best thing is its waterproof and floats. They run around 250.00 and then buy the maps you want to download. :)

XtrmWakeborder
05-15-2006, 11:59 AM
I've got a garmin legend. It works great when its sunny, but when it gets cloudy it sucks. I don't know if that happens with the other gps', but its really inconvenient. It was pretty cheap and works otherwise.

boater012
05-15-2006, 12:32 PM
By far the best one I have seen for what you are using it for is the Garmin gps amp 76s color. Greta little unit well within your orice range and has a built in compass and very accurate I've used it on boat trips (transports for oboat owners in the ocean from Cabo san lucas all the way Sacramento/ delata area) I also keep it in my truck because the bease freeway and side street map is amazingly accurate and it will last 4-5 hours on two aa batteries. MY.02 from someone whos owned 1 for a long time.

mondorally
05-15-2006, 12:53 PM
By far the best one I have seen for what you are using it for is the Garmin gps amp 76s color. Greta little unit well within your orice range and has a built in compass and very accurate I've used it on boat trips (transports for oboat owners in the ocean from Cabo san lucas all the way Sacramento/ delata area) I also keep it in my truck because the bease freeway and side street map is amazingly accurate and it will last 4-5 hours on two aa batteries. MY.02 from someone whos owned 1 for a long time.
Thanks for the recommendation. They offer one with the expandable card slot - do you ever need it? Its more $$ of course.
-Justin

boater012
05-15-2006, 01:47 PM
No ive never used mine i paid the extra money for it nbut ive never used it. I wouls get the cable to link it to your pc though. I have downloaded updates from the website a couple of times and it has added bouys and lights in newer areas.. I have had it in havasu a couple times and it shows the rocks and shallow areas of the lake. it also shows your altitude so you can mark the lake and the depth of areas you hang out in. It well wartn you if the level of the lake has gone down and if the water in that area is shallower based on what youinput into it. i was impressed with what they were able to pack into something no larger than a small pda.

mondorally
05-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks.
Justin