PDA

View Full Version : Ever pulled a bonehead................

Nord
05-15-2006, 11:06 AM
This is the official thread for not only "new boaters" but the "pro" or "I've been doing this sh*t since I was knee high to a grasshopper" boaters as well.
How many of us frequent boaters have pulled a bonehead move with their boat from the time it leaves the garage, storage, etc. to the launch ramp, or out on the water???
I know I have....I'll give a few to start......
I've launched my boat without a drain plug. Didn't realize it untill the ass end was so low that I just about crapped myself. Thank god I was still idleing by the ramp. The water cut the engine out and I had to swim my ride back to the trailer to get it out!!! Doh!!!!
I also have Launched my boat with the tie downs attached!! I couldn't figure out why the boat wouldn't move off of the trailer??? Pulled the boat back out...........low and behold......another bonehead move!!!
ANYONE...........ANYONE...............???

SummitKarl
05-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I know someone that towed their boat all the way to Havasu, when they got here they realized they forgot all of their boats seat cushions :rollside: :)

kevnmcd
05-15-2006, 11:15 AM
I've launched my boat without a drain plug. Didn't realize it untill the ass end was so low that I just about crapped myself. Thank god I was still idleing by the ramp. The water cut the engine out and I had to swim my ride back to the trailer to get it out!!! Doh!!!!
I have done this before....actually, twice! :hammerhea

syke-o
05-15-2006, 11:17 AM
last summer at naciemento i left the straps on... i was thinking why the hell wont this thing back up.... total bone head move!!

HavaSkank
05-15-2006, 11:22 AM
I love launching my pontoon and while floating 100 yards from the ramp I like to get a panicked look on my face and scream to my friends, "HOLY SHIT, I FORGOT THE PLUG!" Everyone jumps to their feet, as if we're on the freakin' Titanic or something.
When I start laughing and pointing at their dumbasses I get pummeled with beer bottles.
Maybe I need new friends

ANXIETY ATTACK
05-15-2006, 11:29 AM
You know,,,,,,the 496 HOs have this neet auto water drain system for draining the raw water coolers, well if you forget to pull the release rings water comes in the boat and engines overheat. and buzzers go off and computers shut down engines and people are screaming and yelling WHAT THE F_ _ _ K is gooooing onnnn ! And no you can't ask me how I know this.

Nord
05-15-2006, 11:33 AM
You know,,,,,,the 496 HOs have this neet auto water drain system for draining the raw water coolers, well if you forget to pull the release rings water comes in the boat and engines overheat. and buzzers go off and computers shut down engines and people are screaming and yelling WHAT THE F_ _ _ K is gooooing onnnn ! And no you can't ask me how I know this.
LMAO!!! :rollside:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-15-2006, 11:37 AM
We have launched without the plugs several times. :220v: One time we launched in Parker and were thinking "geez, its taking forever for the boat to get on plane and its riding like a pig" that second my husband realized all three plugs were sitting in the truck so he hauls ass back to the launch ramp, practically throws me overboard with the keys to the truck. He did speed runs back and forth to make it didn't sink while I was backing down the trailer. I swear our boat sat on the trailer draining for 30 minutes solid. :boxed:
Then one time we were driving home and when we stopped for gas, I went into the boat for something and I guess I didn't put the cushion back right cuz when we got home, we were missing a seat cushion. :cry:

thumbs
05-15-2006, 11:47 AM
I've launched my boat without a drain plug. Didn't realize it untill the ass end was so low that I just about crapped myself.
I have done the same. My sister in-law had to stick her big toes in the hole to slow down the flooding while I ran my arse back to the truck for a plug.

Howie Feltersnatch
05-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Backed over the anchor & wrapped it around the drive shaft real good - till it broke! (inboard).
Was cruising in our ski boat with 4 peeps on board - 2 in bow, me driving & 1 observer. I slowed down too fast & with all the weight toward the front of the boat, the nose dipped & went under the water. I was busy looking ahead as we were coming up on a bunch of other boats & didn't see what was happening until I heard all the screaming from the front of the boat. I put it in reverse & pulled the nose out & then hit it to push it up again. Took the bilge about an hour to pump out. We can laugh about it now but we all thought we were gonna sink (including me)...

XtrmWakeborder
05-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Twice with the plug also. Sometimes i'm just too excited to get on the water and i forget. No big deal just start the bilge, and have someone get the trailer. Once i just cut the engine and jumped in and put it in.

LHC30Victory
05-15-2006, 12:08 PM
I have to admit I made a bonehead move twice now....
I BOUGHT a boat :cool:

maxwedge
05-15-2006, 12:12 PM
I'll just link this thread...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110197&highlight=lake+mead+camping

a catered life
05-15-2006, 12:18 PM
This is the official thread for not only "new boaters" but the "pro" or "I've been doing this sh*t since I was knee high to a grasshopper" boaters as well.
How many of us frequent boaters have pulled a bonehead move with their boat from the time it leaves the garage, storage, etc. to the launch ramp, or out on the water???
I know I have....I'll give a few to start......
I also have Launched my boat with the tie downs attached!! I couldn't figure out why the boat wouldn't move off of the trailer??? Pulled the boat back out...........low and behold......another bonehead move!!!
well since were being honest i did the tie down thing in april i havent launched since last sept and forgot the dam things were even there :p

a catered life
05-15-2006, 12:20 PM
I have done the same. My sister in-law had to stick her big toes in the hole to slow down the flooding while I ran my arse back to the truck for a plug.
yes the ooolllldddddd toe in the hole trick gets them everytime :p

John.
05-15-2006, 12:24 PM
1st bonehead move:
I forgot to raise the outdrive once on our last boat. pulled out of the water and heard some scraping. crappy my pants and found that I nicked about a half inch off the tip of the scag.
i'll never do that one again. Thank god the trailer for this Cat has the drive well out of the water.
2nd bonehead move:
I swear that my wife did this and it wasn't me...My wife usually back the truck & trailer down to the water and I launch the boat...yes, I'm lucky with a wife who can back a trailer. Anyways, the first time we switched duties and she pulled the boat off the trailer, she spun the boat right around at the launch ramp and ran the brand new prop into the concrete. Ouch!

Chubby4Life
05-15-2006, 12:24 PM
As a child I loved the way boats sound. I used to go out and fire up the old mans boat every so often, just to hear it. My dad couldn't figure out why he kept burning up the drive impellers! Years later, I explained to dad why he had to replace 2-3 per year.

a catered life
05-15-2006, 12:28 PM
i forgot my other bonehead move i joined this place looking for serious advise :p

MR HARLEY
05-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Im here to confess:
1.Could'nt anchor my boat for about 25 minutes, kept driving in circles and had to have Kilr finally show me the way.
2.Have a hard time getting the boat straight on the trailer when bringing her in, and Im actually sober through all of this. :argue:
3.Hit a curb 2 weekends ago pulling the trailer and bent one of the rims on the trailer.
3.Im learning though.............. so please if you see me stay away for fear I may do something stupid :)
4.Im just being honest :)

Say10
05-15-2006, 12:40 PM
I love to hear these stories...I had my boat in a slip at the lake so I could get some work done on the trailer. So I leave work early one day and think i am going to get in a early evening run. Get there and no boat keys. Pissed, so I start just poping key from my key ring into it and low and behold the mailbox key cranks her up. Thank you boat gods...By the way I own atleast 6 plugs and will most likly own a few more after this season..... :rollside:

WYRD
05-15-2006, 12:52 PM
a few years ago I just bought my first box anchor, never used one before, went to copper canyon and attached it to my rope with a climbers quick clip. When the anchor hit the canyon floor the clip broke free and the rope came up empty handed..........................boat load of hot chick seen the whole thing too..............I felt like a fawkin idiot and with no back up anchor I had to leave... :rollside:
WYRD

WYRD
05-15-2006, 12:55 PM
i forgot my other bonehead move i joined this place looking for serious advise :p
dito

ADDICTED
05-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Another boat plug story.
I was at the nautical early march. Had a rough night before and for some reason decided to make sure we were on the water at 9:00AM. So we launch the baot and I am cruising over to the cove. I pull up and turn the raio on and decide to open the hatch. To my amazment there is water at my valve covers. :cry:
I imediately grab plugs and jump into the water in the middle of march hung over and put the plugs in. No more hang over after this.
I turn my pumps on and come to find out only one bilge works. I run over to the launch ramp while the blower pullys are slinging water like a kid with a super soaker and put it on the trailer. For the 1.5 hours it drained we had the security gaurd laughing at us giving us shit.
One more bone head stunt.
Threw the anchor in the water with two short of rope! :mad: :)

H20 Toie
05-15-2006, 01:28 PM
a few years ago I just bought my first box anchor, never used one before, went to copper canyon and attached it to my rope with a climbers quick clip. When the anchor hit the canyon floor the clip broke free and the rope came up empty handed..........................boat load of hot chick seen the whole thing too..............I felt like a fawkin idiot and with no back up anchor I had to leave... :rollside:
WYRD
So if i bring my dive gear i can get a new box anchor. :cool:

CHEETAH24
05-15-2006, 01:31 PM
A) couldn't seem to get my outdrive to lower,checked fluid ok,made noise,hmmm...oh yeah trailering clips..duh
B) plug still attached to boat..but not screwd on..
C) then scrapped outdrive on the way up the ramp.
I think it was fun that day

Nord
05-15-2006, 01:35 PM
Im here to confess:
1.Could'nt anchor my boat for about 25 minutes, kept driving in circles and had to have Kilr finally show me the way.
2.Have a hard time getting the boat straight on the trailer when bringing her in, and Im actually sober through all of this. :argue:
3.Hit a curb 2 weekends ago pulling the trailer and bent one of the rims on the trailer.
3.Im learning though.............. so please if you see me stay away for fear I may do something stupid :)
4.Im just being honest :)
I'm guilty of #2 as well, unless I dry bunk, which is bad on the trailer!!!

soupersonic
05-15-2006, 01:42 PM
WYRD
I did the same thing,except it wasnt a $150 anchor,it was one of those bell anchors.About $20 i guess. Also the very first time i went to the lake in my very own boat about 15 years ago it went like this..
Back boat in
Oh sh*t the plug
Pull boat out, put plug in
Back boat in
Oh sh*t the straps
Pull boat out, remove straps
back boat in and away we go
The third time was a charm i guess because i havent done it since

CARLSON-JET
05-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Friday night I disconnect water feed from pump. Remove bad elec. fuel pump and intstall new fuel pump. Triple check all fuel lines. Saturday,drive 2 hours to lake winnebago. Launch boat, put-put through no wake zone, get to open water. Goose it a few times for about 5 seconds, re-check all fuel lines.
Smiling at my handiwork, I goose it for about 1 minute. let off... A sudden surge of water is at the loud pedal, hmmmm. "where is this comming from" I think to myself..
Tell G.F. to "man the life vests.. we're taking on water". G.F. starts asking which vest is for her. (all vests are the same) I yell "pick one" while opening the hatch. notice a very large amount of H20 in bilge and alternater is flinging water everywhere. Discover disconnected water line.
G.F. keeps yelling "What life preserver do I use".. Me being the inconsiderate ass that I am continue to take care of the real problem at hand.. incomming water. G.F. continues her quest for which L.P. to use. I yell "hit the bilge pump hit the bilgepump" and " kill the motor kill the motor" in one panicked drawn out sentence. She doesn't respond with anything concerning the bilge nor the ignition but persists with "Which life vest." I leap to the helm mumbling disgust and flick switches. One heart beat later I leap back to the hose at hand and finish with the clamp. What was the lesson I learned that day....
assign life vests.. it saves an arguement... :argue: ... R.B.

HavaSkank
05-15-2006, 02:46 PM
You need a slightly less-retarded girlfriend

Ultra5150
05-15-2006, 02:57 PM
It was my first trip to Havasu in our new (used Ultra 21LX). I had only test driven it before at Puddingstone, first time driving it on my own. It's 10am on Saturday. Perfect launch at the Islander. With my wife, daughter, and two friends in the boat as we head on out to the channel.
This is the first or second weekend in April, I didnt realize that the big poker run is going on that weekend. As we are driving through the bay to the channel, the flag drops..... It seemed like we had 200 boats all heading at us at full speed, I immediatley try to hug the shore and end up breaking two inches of skeg off and dinging up the prop on my maiden voyage. We got slammed the entire weekend by the big wakes that the big boys were making and because of my lack of driving know how. Needless to say those two friends havent been back to Havasu with us since.

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-15-2006, 03:15 PM
You need a slightly less-retarded girlfriend
LMFAO!

vegasriverjunkie
05-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Done the plug thing a couple of times also. I also lost an anchor at a cove in Mead. My buddy grabs the anchor out with all the rope and hands me a rope end. He then throws the anchor out while I'm holding to one end of the rope. Needless to say I wasn't holding the rope that was tied to the anchor, just another rope line. :rollside:

In2Deep
05-15-2006, 03:23 PM
A trip last season.
Have a perfect spot at the Nautical cove.
EZ Up, chairs, cooler, boat beached right there. Perfect.
Did some celebrating Saturday night, so feeling a bit fuzzy Sunday morning.
Pile the wife and kids into the boat for a jaunt down to the Springs for brunch. Water's up, so backing off the beach should be EZ.
Fire it up, put in reverse, give it a goose on the gas....we don't move.
A bit more on the gas...we don't move.
.....the 10 spectators having coffee on the grass above my spot yell over..
"might help if you untied from the sand spike"....just as I manage to yank it from it's set...and it drags into the water attached to the bow line.
Yup....I'm a professional.
DOH!

all charged up
05-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Ok I did this yesterday. Took kids to Pleasant gonna goof off on the lake for a while. Got gas before we left and forgot to put the starboard gas cap on. Keep forgetting to fix the chain. Get to humbug floating before I realize I lost the damn cap. Looked through the boat for a while and discovered the large Arizona ice tea bottle is the perfect size to fit in the hole and actually screws in tight. Didn't lose any fuel and kept the water out but looked real gomer.

Nord
05-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Done the plug thing a couple of times also. I also lost an anchor at a cove in Mead. My buddy grabs the anchor out with all the rope and hands me a rope end. He then throws the anchor out while I'm holding to one end of the rope. Needless to say I wasn't holding the rope that was tied to the anchor, just another rope line. :rollside:
nice!!!! lol :)

ahhell
05-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Thank God Im not the only dummmass to launch w/o the plug...launched at Moabi last summer, just me and my 14 y/o...cruized out that long ass channel, hit the water and hit it...nothing. Im thinking I got air in the bell AGAIN, opened the hatch and water is spraying everywhere...just then the light came on, the boy grabs the plug...I keep many in the glove box...hops in the water, goes under and puts in the plug....I am soooo glad I put in the auto-bildge pump. At least the motor got cleaned
Thanks to Debbolas for not spilling the beans earlier.... :crossx:

bocco
05-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Isn't it amazing that it takes 3 times as long to drain a boat than it does to fill it.

W.O.T
05-15-2006, 03:51 PM
:rollside:
ive pulled out of the gas station with the boat on the way to the river not paying attention, talking with my friends and didnt swing wide enough. smacked one of those steel yellow poles protecting the pumps. bent the crap out of the trailer fender and bent the trailer frame pretty good
another time i was dumping five gallons of gas into the boat with my dump can and the rubber hose came off the end went into the gas tank and spilled gas all over the boat! the hose is still in the tank today.

purrfecttremor
05-15-2006, 03:57 PM
10 years ago some friends launched their new sea doos along with my jet boat at topock.We drove all the way through the channel never stopping until we got to the marina to gas up the sea doos.As we we sat in the boat waiting my youngest son asks me why one is sitting lower than the other and yes one was without a plug and was almost under water! Doa !!!! Had to make a plug out of a stick. LOL

WYRD
05-15-2006, 04:02 PM
:rollside:
ive pulled out of the gas station with the boat on the way to the river not paying attention, talking with my friends and didnt swing wide enough. smacked one of those steel yellow poles protecting the pumps. bent the crap out of the trailer fender and bent the trailer frame pretty good
another time i was dumping five gallons of gas into the boat with my dump can and the rubber hose came off the end went into the gas tank and spilled gas all over the boat! the hose is still in the tank today.
I did something simillar with my old Jet boat, had saddle tanks pulled in the gas station, stuck in the nossel, started pumping and left it unattended to go into the store, came out and someone next to me shut the pump off...................but not before pumping at least 7 or 8 gallons all over the gel coat and the parking lot :crossx: :rollside: live and learn I guess :idea: poor gas station attendant had to spread kitty litter all over the ground, shut down their island for a couple hours, and my gel ended up bubbling :boxed: :cry:

Jordy
05-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Looked through the boat for a while and discovered the large Arizona ice tea bottle is the perfect size to fit in the hole and actually screws in tight. Didn't lose any fuel and kept the water out but looked real gomer.
I wondered what the story was with that. Didn't know it was an ice tea bottle. Looked like an empty bottle of Beam or something comprable. :D :D :D

Silver
05-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Nord, is being a bonehead part of your 99 problems? :p

HM
05-15-2006, 04:13 PM
This one time, at boat camp.....

Nord
05-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Nord, is being a bonehead part of your 99 problems? :p
Only a problem that arrives once in a great while and is temporary....... :cool:

boater012
05-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Ok so Here I am mister prepared for anything, been on the water my whole life, raised on a boat, aways called in to rescue the other guy, mr reliable, always knows where hes going. has everything figured, carries a spare everything,. OK so now you knwo the type of person I am. Well two years ago me and a group of my buddies decided to go to havasu for memorial weekend. we start out late on a thursday morning and head for the river. I missed the freeway I was told to take.
So everyone wakes up 2 hours later and asks "where the hell are we??" i tell them we are on the way. So rather than turn back we head for the back way into havi where you drive past the dam???? So they all tell me where to turn off and doze off again. well lo and behold I passed that one too. At this point I realize we need fuel. So I turn around and backtrack 35 miles to the turn off. We get to the turnoff and the gas station that I remeber from 3 years before isn't open anymore.
So sure enough I run out of gas in my expedition. I end up pumping fuel into a glass jar out of the boat gas tank. So we dump what we think is about 2 gallons of fuel into my truck and head out again. we get about half way there and run out of fuel again. we transfer more fuel and all the while most of us are laughing at my bonehead move!!! But GQCHRIS from the boards hes on the trip with us and he is pissed we met a few years back and hes pissed because im mr prepared got it all under control. hes so pissed he won't even help me transfer the fuel top the truck.
We get less than a mile from the little gas station on the left hand side of the road and run out yet again. transfer more fuel and coast into the gas station where the truck dies again. well the station was so busy that we had to wait. whataya know we had to transfer more fuel to get into the pump. I was laughing my arse off. its the funniest thing id ever done. the other guys were good spirited about it but chris was still pissed about it!!!!

boater012
05-15-2006, 05:55 PM
So a friend of mine that I dont talk to much anymore has owned a dodge DIESEL for 3 years now. He pulls in an fills her up with GAS one night on his way home from work (3 years into owning the truck). GUESS who he called to go rescue him???? someone else was already on there way but We had a good laugh about it. He ended up having to pump all the GAS out of the tank right there on the side of the road. I laughed my ass of at him over this for as long as ic an remeber and its still funny to this day!!!

Havasu Hangin'
05-15-2006, 06:05 PM
I was in my buddies boat one time in Copper Canyon. We proceed to untie from our neighbors, and head back to the channel.
As we are leaving, my buddy has to work though a maze of boats floating. Well, he proceeds to nail one dead on. No damage, but we damn near throw blows with the owner. After that, my buddy proceeds to hit a second boat. Now I'm thinking, "what the hell is wrong with these damn jet boats? They don't steer well at slow speeds, or did my buddy take a bunch of mushrooms behind my back?"
We clear the buoy line, and proceed to get on plane. At about 40MPH, I looked back and saw the problem.
Our anchor was skiing 100' behind us. :notam:

Chubby4Life
05-15-2006, 06:05 PM
So a friend of mine that I dont talk to much anymore has owned a dodge DIESEL for 3 years now. He pulls in an fills her up with GAS one night on his way home from work (3 years into owning the truck). GUESS who he called to go rescue him???? someone else was already on there way but We had a good laugh about it. He ended up having to pump all the GAS out of the tank right there on the side of the road. I laughed my ass of at him over this for as long as ic an remeber and its still funny to this day!!!
Been there too! I pulled up to my usual 91 pump at CFN, except this time I was in a deisel. I didn't realize it untill just before I went to turn the key. I was too afraid to start the truck with 38 gals. of premium, so I called my bro-in-law and he brought a 55 Gal. drum and away we pumped right there at the island.

Nord
05-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Another incident was when I was pulling up to the Sandbar in LH.........This one was only 50% my fault...........here is what went down.
I pulled into the backside of the sandbar to stay off the main drag and found a spot between a couple waverunners and a bayliner.
While pulling up......one of the waverunners starts booking it towards the boat sideways (it was anchored nobody on it) and hits my swimstep pretty hard. I had caught their anchor line but........................their anchor line was like 25 feet long and unmarked!!!! Needless to say, I still looked like a farmer out there and had to appologize. No damage, but still caught shit all day!

Say10
05-15-2006, 07:31 PM
I was in my buddies boat one time in Copper Canyon. We proceed to untie from our neighbors, and head back to the channel.
As we are leaving, my buddy has to work though a maze of boats floating. Well, he proceeds to nail one dead on. No damage, but we damn near throw blows with the owner. After that, my buddy proceeds to hit a second boat. Now I'm thinking, "what the hell is wrong with these damn jet boats? They don't steer well at slow speeds, or did my buddy take a bunch of mushrooms behind my back?"
We clear the buoy line, and proceed to get on plane. At about 40MPH, I looked back and saw the problem.
Our anchor was skiing 100' behind us. :notam:
If that is true that is the best.. I hope you remind him any time you get...

I DIG IT !
05-15-2006, 07:50 PM
this is one of the funnyist post i have ever read. i too have pulled the bonehead with straips and the drain plug. but the stroy about the child starting his old mans boat made my laugh the hardest!!

GMFL
05-15-2006, 08:11 PM
So Far, the bigest bonehead mistake for me...
Launching the boat by myself, back the trailer down, get in the boat, start it up and try to drive it off. Not backed down far enough. Get off the boat and think i will back down a little and slam the brakes to glide it off. Me being somewhat smart I connect the bow tie down... Proceed to launch with above said motion and.. the boat starts taking off backward... Yep, left it in gear, barely caught it before the end of the line. Not sure if its connected or not (guessing it its). Cranked it back in and no one knew, or so I hope??? :) :) :)

Tom Brown
05-15-2006, 08:14 PM
1st bonehead move:
I forgot to raise the outdrive once on our last boat. pulled out of the water and heard some scraping. crappy my pants and found that I nicked about a half inch off the tip of the scag.
i'll never do that one again. Thank god the trailer for this Cat has the drive well out of the water.
2nd bonehead move:
I swear that my wife did this and it wasn't me...My wife usually back the truck & trailer down to the water and I launch the boat...yes, I'm lucky with a wife who can back a trailer. Anyways, the first time we switched duties and she pulled the boat off the trailer, she spun the boat right around at the launch ramp and ran the brand new prop into the concrete. Ouch!
3rd bonehead move:
I blamed the wife for something that I should have taken the blame for... regardless of who actually did it.

W.O.T
05-15-2006, 08:17 PM
i have another good one! :rollside:
i was camped at sqauw lake with the boat parked in the toolies. my girlfriend and i just got everything ready to go for the day so she hops in the boat, and i walk the boat out and give it a good push and hop in. trim the motor down and go to start it and realize the keys are back at camp! i convince my girlfriend to jump in the water swim back through the toolies and get the keys. by this time the boat has drifted out quit aways. she had a good swim, came back with the keys and we were off. we were new then, i think if that happened today she would tell me to go kick rocks.

TRUMP TIGHT
05-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Me and my father DILLIGAF were on our way back from Laughlin when the jet ski trailer started swing in and out of the opposing lane! Still dont know if it was our fault or not but that was some dangerous SH!T! Oh, and yes DILLIGAF has owned Lake Lice!

rerfert
05-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Last season I had my 73 kona.
I have 2 anchors and ample rope with chain link type quick connects...Out about the middle of the lake My friend was helping anchor the boat and picked up the anchor threw it over and stood there wondering why the rope didn't go with it :cry:
I told him that would be because you have to be smarter than the anchor and attach the rope to it. :rolleyes:
He still to this day has not replaced my anchor. :yuk:

H20Advantage
05-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Seems like anchors and boat plugs make for alot of great stories. One time a few years back I tossed the anchor overboard and realized the rope was not attached. :mad: :cry: Damn I felt stupid but I got a box anchor after that and also added a clip to the boat end of the line. I make sure that the rope is attached to the boat before she goes in.

TRUMP TIGHT
05-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Seems like anchors and boat plugs make for alot of great stories. One time a few years back I tossed the anchor overboard and realized the rope was not attached. :mad: :cry: Damn I felt stupid but I got a box anchor after that and also added a clip to the boat end of the line. I make sure that the rope is attached to the boat before she goes in.
Ive been a little to buzzed and throwen the anchor without hooking it first. Bye bye anchor!

boater012
05-15-2006, 09:34 PM
My personal best had to be maybe 3 years ago i had a 51 foot bluewater in long beach harbor. I was contacted at my place of business by a customer in the movie industry that needed a huge camera platform that was stable and asked me to try to find him a boat to rent for a couple weeks. He offered 6k a day plus he'd pay a captain 250 an hour to operate the boat.
Needless to say I offered my own boat (which if youv'e seen a 51 bluewater you know its got a huge flat back deck and is 15 feet wide so its very stable) The camera crew shows up with maybe 34 people. We load the boat at the launch ramp in san pedro and head out to the outside of the breakwater to film the fishing seen for National Lampoons, Cousin Eddies Christmas Vacation. If youv'e seen the movie you'll know the scene im talking about where the whole boat gets dragged backwards.
So the camera crew dosn't want to anchor because every ten minutes we need to run the "big 51 footer" over to the little aluminum jobby they were using for the scene and offload props and talk to the actors. Well we head back to our spot and I end running over a freakin lobster trap and get it tangled in my prop shaft on my port engine. Talk about embarrased!!!!!
I was able to get it untangled after about forty minutes of slowly bumping it in and out of gear but the crew was pissed at me by this point because i'd held up the shoot. BIGGEST dumbass move I ever did!!! gqchris from the boards was hired as crew for the shoot and was a huge help in standing on the swimstep pulling on the rope from the crab trap to tell me when it was going in or out. Yeah thats a topper for me other than completely obliterating a Kachina but thats another story that I need pics of Before I tell because no one would beleive it without them!

mororless
05-15-2006, 11:12 PM
This one happend Saturday. Took a family for the day from Moabi to Havasu. They all had a great day. Pulled in to Moabi and off loaded everything on the beach. Now mind you it was 3 teenage boys the father and mother. I asked the father to hold the boat while I got get the truck. I try not to get in the habit of trusting anybody with the boat, but I thought why tie it off it would only take a minute to get my truck. I pull up to the lane and look out into the lagoon and see my boat floating all by it loansome. Jump out of the truck and some people were laughing and how much the teenagers were arguing who was gonna go get the boat. They saw me coming down and 2 of them starting swimming for the boat. They both got to it at the same time I did. One tried to climb on. Nope sorry swim back.
ALL WAYS trust your instincts. Tie off.

Kilrtoy
05-15-2006, 11:28 PM
YEP I did the same thing 3 years ago.......

HavaSkank
05-16-2006, 07:26 AM
That's one of the reasons I keep teenage boys off of my boat...not to mention they smell like Clearasil and Jergens lotion

HatenWinter
05-16-2006, 08:00 AM
1. Left the drive down on a brand new boat and pulled out of the driveway- nothing a little filing and spray paint couldn't fix!
2. Pulled the boat out of the water and onto the trailer, jumped in the suburban and drove about 15 seconds to the wipe down area, got out and realized I never turned off the motor (quiete underwater exhaust). Lucky for me no one was around to see it and the empellor still worked! I used this as a reason to tell my wife we needed a bigger boat with a bigger, louder engine.

dirtman
05-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Redid the bunks on the trailer and thought that neoprene covers would be great. Lots less friction and stuff.....first time I loaded my 17' Eagle on the new bunks, I forgot, hit the throttle and slid it up over the roller in front and stuffed the nose through the back window of my wifes TJ. On the bright side, it was easy to slide it back into position. :cry:

Chubby4Life
05-16-2006, 10:57 AM
...There was another time when Cencal was my boat bitch. He was kind of drunk on GG :rolleyes: and I asked him to throw the front anchor. He threw it on the inside of the boat...WTF! That pissed me off but I bit my tounge and told him to try again. He threw it out but we could not get the damn thing to hold for anything. After about 10 minutes of trying to figure out why it would not hold he said he would pull it up. I had enough at this point and pulled it up myself. He never put the latch accross it so it was just a flat piece of metal on the bottom. I was like "You are fired boat bitch"...lol Made me mad at the time but of course now it is just a funny story to tell....
LMAO!!!! :hammerhea

Midlife Advantage
05-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Glad to see you come clean on that one Justin....lol
I too have thrown a box anchor over with no rope on it. There were a lot of people around and I just acted like I didn't want it so I just threw it overboard....lol
Another time I was in gasoline ally and went to get the back anchor. As I was pulling it up the damn rope just slid out of my hands. Well, that one was lost also :(. Now I make sure I have one of those floats on the end so at least the rope will float up and you don't have to go down so far to retrieve the damn anchor.
There was another time when Cencal was my boat bitch. He was kind of drunk on GG :rolleyes: and I asked him to throw the front anchor. He threw it on the inside of the boat...WTF! That pissed me off but I bit my tounge and told him to try again. He threw it out but we could not get the damn thing to hold for anything. After about 10 minutes of trying to figure out why it would not hold he said he would pull it up. I had enough at this point and pulled it up myself. He never put the latch accross it so it was just a flat piece of metal on the bottom. I was like "You are fired boat bitch"...lol Made me mad at the time but of course now it is just a funny story to tell.
Cencal has all sorts of stories but I don't know if he wants to come on here and come clean with them :)
I was witness to this, however, I was laughing so hard at him dropping the anchor IN the boat, that I didn't notice his not locking the anchor out! Lest I may have mentioned it, but maybe not.
I guess my worst moment is pulling my first (bayliner, yes) boat outta the water with the drive down. We had ran outta gas and had to get towed, then hopped off and steered it to the trailer from the dock, wife driving the truck. so there I was, watching her pull it out, noticing the drive as it went up, and screaming stop!!!!!

desertbird
05-17-2006, 08:18 AM
I replaced the steering cable on my old O/B boat. Somehow, I decided to route it opposite through the helm than how I took it out. (Over the top vs. Under the bottom).
The result? Turn the wheel right and the motor went left. Turn the wheel left and, you guessed it, the motor went the wrong way too! I never noticed it in the driveway, even turning the wheel to test.
That weekend I wound up launching my buddy in the boat from the park ramp near the Riverside Casino. After a 5 hour Friday night drive from the SFV, here he is, tired, a little hungover, and fighting a current while trying to drive a boat that steers backwards. We had people on the grass hill laughing at us, I was laughing, but he sure wasn't! It was quite a task for him to put it back on the trailer. The worst part was I didn't realize there was a problem until after I parked the truck and came back down the hill! He had to drive it around for about 10 minutes!
We pulled the boat and I was able to flip the cable in no time. No damage other than a little cable grease on the swimshorts! We launched and had another memorable day on the water.

WYRD
05-17-2006, 08:19 AM
I was witness to this, however, I was laughing so hard at him dropping the anchor IN the boat, that I didn't notice his not locking the anchor out! Lest I may have mentioned it, but maybe not.
I guess my worst moment is pulling my first (bayliner, yes) boat outta the water with the drive down. We had ran outta gas and had to get towed, then hopped off and steered it to the trailer from the dock, wife driving the truck. so there I was, watching her pull it out, noticing the drive as it went up, and screaming stop!!!!!
Tim you didn't go help you just watched and laughed? Youre a JACKAZZ, horrible boater mentality!!!! *insert sarcasm filled laugh*

MrsSigEpMock
05-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Tim you didn't go help you just watched and laughed? Youre a JACKAZZ, horrible boater mentality!!!! *insert sarcasm filled laugh*
Nice tie in WYRD!!!.... :boxingguy :D :D

WYRD
05-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Nice tie in WYRD!!!.... :boxingguy :D :D
;)

Nord
09-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Any new mishaps since the season is comming to an end???
~NORD~

Her454
09-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Ok, Im sitting in the cove just chillin and the kids want to go for a ride. Takes them 15 minutes to just figure out who gets to go first.....by that time Im ready to GO.
I head out of the cove and take off full throttle and can't figure out why the hell the boat has a drag to it. Feels like there is something in the pump so I slow down a little and realize the anchor is still hooked up to the boat. My 30 foot bungee was now stretched out to a maxed 60 feet and I was feeling like a complete jackazz. My daughter NEVER lets me forget that............. :rollside:

Nord
09-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Ok, Im sitting in the cove just chillin and the kids want to go for a ride. Takes them 15 minutes to just figure out who gets to go first.....by that time Im ready to GO.
I head out of the cove and take off full throttle and can't figure out why the hell the boat has a drag to it. Feels like there is something in the pump so I slow down a little and realize the anchor is still hooked up to the boat. My 30 foot bungee was now stretched out to a maxed 60 feet and I was feeling like a complete jackazz. My daughter NEVER lets me forget that............. :rollside:
NICE!!! LOL......... Glad nothing bad happened..........

Singleton
09-19-2006, 12:46 PM
I blame my sister for this one, since she started to pull the truck up the ramp when I was still getting the boat on trailer and was thinking shit turn engine off and get the safety chain on the bow before she has the truck up the ramp and the boat is half way down the ramp.
Pulled the stupid move of forgetting to put the drive all the way up and did the scrap outdrive on the way up the ramp. I was lucky it was trimmed half-way up so no major damage.
Lesson learner - never let sister drive truck or boat.

HALLETT BOY
09-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Here's something that I saw happen to the coast guard : was at the local marina , was watching a group of about 5 coast guards backing down a boat to the water...2 in the truck, and three holding ropes as the boat was being backed down...I noticed no drain plugs...I wondered if they were aware of this ? didn't
look like it...the boat was in the water and they were getting ready to un- do the bow line, when I said : Hey ! your drain plug is missing ! They all looked at each other , pulled the boat back out, and said : we knew that !

Bradman
09-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Wife and I get up early Sunday morning and head to Windor to launch our new boat last month. Get to Windsor and forgot our annual pass at home. Go home to get the pass which cost us $100.00. Grab the pass and extra rags for the boat. Head back to Windsor and can't find the pass. Go back home thinking I must have left it on the shelf where I grab the rags. Nope, not there. I remember I put it down on the front of the boat so it must have blown off. Follow our tracks back to Windsor and see the pass laying on the side of the road near Wal-Mart. Now thats a bonehead move... :rollside:

OCMerrill
09-19-2006, 01:19 PM
I thought all bone head moves were made by someone's cusins sister in laws brother? :rollside: :boxed:
I have a houseboat on powell beach story.
36 footer with twin 50 hp?? whackers. Typ Wawheep rental- Wife and I on our honeymoon 10 years ago. Last chance bay about 7 ot 8 fingers down soft beach, hidden...very cool. Nice little beach. After 4 days of that houseboat sitting there I could not budge it. No matter what. It was just sunk in that loamy silt just enough to act like a suction cup.
So...Tie of the Rinell with a rope to cleats send wife out, gives a good tug...POW one less cleat to worry about on my boat. Little duct tape over the hole :mad: :mad:
Drove up to dangeling rope marina and got a shovel saw rainbow bridge...all good. Had a nice day.
Day 5 Spent entire day digging that biach out. After about 6 hrs digging, engines in full reverse for like an hour...she crept back. Talk about mixed emotions.
Lesson Learned...Move that big beast daily. :rolleyes:

Kachina26
09-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Got real close on Sunday! Wife did an outstanding job backing the trailer down, I see the door pop open and think to myself, "I hope she isn't getting out of the truck". Well she did, I start making all the signals I can think of to tell her to get back in the truck because it's in REVERSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She finally got in the truck and figured out why I was making all the frantic gestures :) :) Talk about scary, good thing I got a good mechanic that took care of that GM park brake problem :cool:

Nord
09-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Wife and I get up early Sunday morning and head to Windor to launch our new boat last month. Get to Windsor and forgot our annual pass at home. Go home to get the pass which cost us $100.00. Grab the pass and extra rags for the boat. Head back to Windsor and can't find the pass. Go back home thinking I must have left it on the shelf where I grab the rags. Nope, not there. I remember I put it down on the front of the boat so it must have blown off. Follow our tracks back to Windsor and see the pass laying on the side of the road near Wal-Mart. Now thats a bonehead move... :rollside:
At least you found it!!!! AMAZING.....

Bradman
09-19-2006, 03:20 PM
At least you found it!!!! AMAZING.....
No doubt...Should have gone a bought a lottery ticket after that. :)

boatnam2
09-19-2006, 03:41 PM
one of many,staying at red rock forgot anchor get bright idea to put rocks in hefty bag and tie it to a rope.worked good for 2 nights woke up monday morning with the truck backed up to the waters edge(sleeping in the bed) to look out and see no boat.i shit my pants but my irish luck is with me the edddie at foxes pushed my boat up river and it was sitting on the beach. anywhere is it is gone way down river,put it on the trailer and headed home hung 6 in the morning.

Nord
09-19-2006, 07:46 PM
one of many,staying at red rock forgot anchor get bright idea to put rocks in hefty bag and tie it to a rope.worked good for 2 nights woke up monday morning with the truck backed up to the waters edge(sleeping in the bed) to look out and see no boat.i shit my pants but my irish luck is with me the edddie at foxes pushed my boat up river and it was sitting on the beach. anywhere is it is gone way down river,put it on the trailer and headed home hung 6 in the morning.
HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously, you are sooooooooooooooooo lucky!!!

rmarion
09-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Houseboating for 30 years....
Last night at Lake Mead, tie up ski boat, pull lake lice up on shore lightly (nice secluded cove) wake up, no lake lice, found a few coves around corner.
Two years later, same thing, but this time boat is missing......around cove floating in the middle of the lake..... :rollside:
while trying to load our 23' daycruiser, wind blowing like M/F er, waves crushing in, no winch w/ trailer, just lock bar, we looked like the 3 stooges yelling at each other trying to get the boat on the trailer.... 25 yrs later, new Tige, Corona Watersports offer a new boater initiation, shssh 30 yrs I now it all, they show me how to drive the boat onto the trailer, NICE!!!!! just goes to show, even old geezers can learn something new......... :cool:

kingLHC
09-19-2006, 08:41 PM
I've done both of those, unfortunately, not at the same time.
When I left the straps on and realized it, I pulled all the way to the overflow parking to remove them.