PDA

View Full Version : Original WWI Sopwith Camel on eBay

rrrr
12-05-2005, 05:31 AM
Wow, check this out. The only remaining Sopwith built Camel on Earth. There are some remaining aircraft built by licensees, but this is the sole factory original.
Camel (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sopwith-Camel-Original-1917-WWI-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ4594758276QQcategoryZ63677QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

YeLLowBoaT
12-05-2005, 05:38 AM
Nice ww1 plane but,
Pass the crack pipe...... 1.5 mil. Even the 750k is a dream.....
5 days 12k+ hits and no bids.... I wonder why.....

H20 Toie
12-05-2005, 05:46 AM
I need that who wants to be partners?

Flashover
12-05-2005, 06:39 AM
Wow, I wonder if anyone would dare to still fly that thing.

nhbuoy
12-05-2005, 06:41 AM
...is that the same plane Snoopy flew?... :p ...

Sleek-Jet
12-05-2005, 06:49 AM
If it's authentic... why E-bay???
And yes, that's Snoopy's airplane. :D

Liberator TJ1984
12-05-2005, 06:57 AM
wonder if the machine guns still work ??? :crossx:

YeLLowBoaT
12-05-2005, 07:10 AM
And yes, that's Snoopy's airplane. :D
It adds 40mph and 20% of what it should cost. :D Your right there are alot of better places to sale a plane online. I mean what dummy would buy a plane off ebay? With ebay is all about "is the seller telling the truth?" I don't take anything for face value anymore. that being said It as not been flown since 93 last cert was in 93.....I don't even want to think what it would cost to have this plane recertifed.

RiverToysJas
12-05-2005, 08:03 AM
I am finding EBAY is bringing much bigger money than the open market classifieds or even trade industry classifieds would bring. I'm not sure why. Case in point (just one example), I know someone who was selling an old Honda ATC. He put it up on some of the ATC Forums and message boards for $900. Sat there a couple of months with little interest. Put it on EBAY, and w/i two weeks it sold for like $1200. I don't totally understand this fanominon, but I have a couple theories as to why it's happening.
One thing, EBAY often gets news coverage (when there's nothing else to report), and rare items listed sometimes end up on the news. This guy only needs to find one buyer.
Is $750,000 out of line? I've seen 5 person fiberglass boats listed for more than that, and they have no historical value what so ever. :rollside: At least this plane will always be part of our world, war, & aviation history. :idea:
RTJas :D

Jeanyus
12-05-2005, 08:14 AM
As a military collectible, I would think it's worth 1.5 mill, after all there is only 1 on this planet.
Why E-bay? Over 8 million buyers on e-bay, In 5 days 12,400 people have looked at the auction. What website, publication, or auction, is going to give you those kind of results? Why not E-bay?
Any one got 1.5 million they want to loan?
http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/9d/75/ee_3.JPG

coolchange
12-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Thats at Mojave airport. My dad used to keep his planes there and I think I've seen that one. 1.5 aint bad, he'll get it eventually.

Sleek-Jet
12-05-2005, 08:23 AM
I am finding EBAY is bringing much bigger money than the open market classifieds or even trade industry classifieds would bring. I'm not sure why. Case in point (just one example), I know someone who was selling an old Honda ATC. He put it up on some of the ATC Forums and message boards for $900. Sat there a couple of months with little interest. Put it on EBAY, and w/i two weeks it sold for like $1200. I don't totally understand this fanominon, but I have a couple theories as to why it's happening.
One thing, EBAY often gets news coverage (when there's nothing else to report), and rare items listed sometimes end up on the news. This guy only needs to find one buyer.
Is $750,000 out of line? I've seen 5 person fiberglass boats listed for more than that, and they have no historical value what so ever. :rollside: At least this plane will always be part of our world, war, & aviation history. :idea:
RTJas :D
Let's just say that airplanes on E-bay have a gained quite the suspect reputation. There are other avenues to sell this type of airplane, ones that would bring at least what the guy is asking (the 1.5 part, not the 750,000), without the hassels of E-bay.
Not knocking anyone for going with E-bay, just seems a little odd with this type of item.

rrrr
12-05-2005, 08:27 AM
Let's just say that airplanes on E-bay have a gained quite the suspect reputation. There are other avenues to sell this type of airplane, ones that would bring at least what the guy is asking (the 1.5 part, not the 750,000), without the hassels of E-bay.
Not knocking anyone for going with E-bay, just seems a little odd with this type of item.
They have a link on eBay that goes to an informational website. It reads like they put it together and supplied links to rare aircraft brokers.
On eBay you might attract someone with money looking for that perfect Christmas gift. They might not see it anywhere else.
Is it worth it? I dunno, but it's a cool airplane. :rollside:

JB in so cal
12-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Didn't someone try to buy an ex-Blue Angel Hornet last year. Navy finally found out and pulled it off, I think.
$<>1,000,000. If I recall.

Sleek-Jet
12-05-2005, 08:38 AM
They have a link on eBay that goes to an informational website. It reads like they put it together and supplied links to rare aircraft brokers.
On eBay you might attract someone with money looking for that perfect Christmas gift. They might not see it anywhere else.
Is it worth it? I dunno, but it's a cool airplane. :rollside:
I've spent all morning looking at the website, cool stuff. :cool:
So what does everyone think the reserve on the auction is??? :D :D

maxwedge
12-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Very cool plane. Think of the exposure you get with ebay. I have yet to be dissapointed in the selling price of anything I've put on ebay which includes several cars, a couple of motorcycles and a boat. Huge exposure and seems like a sellers market anymore. Very cool piece of aviation history! I'm kinda suprised it's going that cheap! I would hate to see what the listing fees are on something like that though. :)