PDA

View Full Version : DirectTV Oval Dish Alignment

surfer2001
12-05-2005, 11:21 AM
IÂ’m going to the High Definition dish at my river house and I know there are three satellites to align. Is there a procedure to do this? Any helpful tricks that you can pass on? HELP!!
THX in advance Don

blender over
12-05-2005, 11:45 AM
IÂ’m going to the High Definition dish at my river house and I know there are three satellites to align. Is there a procedure to do this? Any helpful tricks that you can pass on? HELP!!
THX in advance Don
go to radio shack and buy the satellite finder, you hook it up inline with your coax, real easy to line up this way, it is what we us when we go to glamis. :)

Wally_Gator
12-05-2005, 11:54 AM
If you want to use a satellite finder you need to skip radio shack and buy an accutrak pro. The HD dishes align on three satellites.
Is your dish new or old?
With a compass and the on screen transponder signal you can do it.
Walter...

rrrr
12-05-2005, 12:02 PM
I just used a cheap compass for bearing and the dish has an azimuth (height above the horizon) scale etched on the pivot.
Got it first try, 97% signal.
Did someone tell you about getting the coax couplings and splitters rated for 2Ghz? Can't use the regular cable TV stuff.
edit: Oops. I didn't see the HD part. Not so sure about that works, mine is regular satellite. D'oh!! :220v:

Wally_Gator
12-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Aspen Dish Installation ins (http://www.opmsatellite.com/installation%20help.htm#5)
This link is the instructions to installing it. They worked for me on fine tuneing the signal. I just had a TV close in a window and hooked up a patch cable to the receiver.

Wally_Gator
12-05-2005, 12:03 PM
I just used a cheap compass for bearing and the dish has an azimuth (height above the horizon) scale etched on the pivot.
Got it first try, 97% signal.
Did someone tell you about getting the coax couplings and splitters rated for 2Ghz? Can't use the regular cable TV stuff.
HD now requires up to 2.5 ghz...

rrrr
12-05-2005, 12:05 PM
HD now requires up to 2.5 ghz...
See? I don't know what I'm talking about. :D :D

surfer2001
12-05-2005, 01:03 PM
If you want to use a satellite finder you need to skip radio shack and buy an accutrak pro. The HD dishes align on three satellites.
Is your dish new or old?
With a compass and the on screen transponder signal you can do it.
Walter...
It's new & it has three round dodad's at the end of the boom

Wally_Gator
12-05-2005, 01:18 PM
It's new & it has three round dodad's at the end of the boom
If it is the aspen dish follow the alignment instructions on the link,,,
On the multi- sat dishes, the signal meter at radio shack will only tune one satellite. Now you need to tune to two of them to mak sure you get the best for all three...
Good luck,
Walter