PDA

View Full Version : Considering the ZZ502 crate, what else will I need?

Itsahobby
12-06-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm considering swapping out my 467 BBC for a ZZ502 crate motor. I realize I will have to upgrade the valves and add a electric fuel pump, but what I was wonder is what can I reuse off the 467? Oil pan, exhaust, motor plates, Velvet drive?
Thanks for your input,
Hobby

franky
12-06-2005, 10:42 AM
oil pan, no. the rest will work

Itsahobby
12-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks,
Most of the externals on my 467 are new and hope to renuse them.
Jerry
oil pan, no. the rest will work

jimthetoolman
12-06-2005, 12:01 PM
You will need a new timing cover too!.

jimthetoolman
12-06-2005, 12:03 PM
If it doesn't come with one.

InKahntrol
12-06-2005, 02:49 PM
That's a great motor. I've used two in the past, one in a boat and one in a Chevelle and was very impressed with both. Assuming your boat is a v-drive you'll need to swap timing covers to use the cam-drive water pump, and you'd probably do well to buy a new key for the end of the cam, rather than re-using the old one. I think they cost less than ten bucks from Glenwood.

Itsahobby
12-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Yep, it's going into a 21' RaysonCraft. Were you using wet exhaust? And did you see any reversion issues with the stock cam?
I already have an extra key :boxed:
Thanks for the input.
Hobby
That's a great motor. I've used two in the past, one in a boat and one in a Chevelle and was very impressed with both. Assuming your boat is a v-drive you'll need to swap timing covers to use the cam-drive water pump, and you'd probably do well to buy a new key for the end of the cam, rather than re-using the old one. I think they cost less than ten bucks from Glenwood.

InKahntrol
12-07-2005, 11:24 AM
I ran cast aluminum logs with aluminum OT pipes because I used the boat for skiing and was afraid a passenger would get burned on real headers. The pipes did run water, but the log part had a water jacket and I never had an inversion problem. If you're running through-transom that could be an issue though... the cam in that motor is pretty big. Sounds like a fun project!

DetroitJim
12-07-2005, 11:45 AM
The flywheel is different, I always use a flywheel instead of a flex plate. They are not meant to run without being attached to a torque converter.
Also, I wouldn't worry about the valves. The stock ones are fine.
DJ

Hallett
12-07-2005, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=DetroitJim]The flywheel is different, I always use a flywheel instead of a flex plate. They are not meant to run without being attached to a torque converter.
Also, I wouldn't worry about the valves. The stock ones are fine.
DJ[/QUO
Ihave a flex plate on mine never had any problems if you have the
right one. you can't just put any one on there.

GofastRacer
12-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Nothing wrong with a flexplate, just make sure you get an "SFI" one, the stock one will flex when cranking the motor over!..

Itsahobby
12-07-2005, 01:28 PM
If I do this I will be replacing my current flexplate. It's pretty old.
What does SFI stand for?
Hobby
Nothing wrong with a flexplate, just make sure you get an "SFI" one, the stock one will flex when cranking the motor over!..

Oldsquirt
12-07-2005, 02:31 PM
If I do this I will be replacing my current flexplate. It's pretty old.
What does SFI stand for?
Hobby
I don't think your existing flexplate will work on a zz502, anyway. 502 uses a one-piece rear seal crank as opposed to the 2-piece you currently have.
Here's a link to SFI (http://www.sfifoundation.com/) Click on "Our History" for the story of who they are.

hyevon
12-07-2005, 06:17 PM
I had the same motor in my 21 rayson casale v-drive 22 gears and the thing rat at 76moh on gps. you need to cgange timing cover and oil pan to fit gen6 motor, every thing else works

olbiezer
12-07-2005, 08:53 PM
dont know if we are talking about the same part but, gleenwood told me they havent had waterpump keys in years......of course i was looking for one to a neovane...they may carry others

Itsahobby
12-08-2005, 07:52 AM
I got mine through REX. It's for a magnaflow.
dont know if we are talking about the same part but, gleenwood told me they havent had waterpump keys in years......of course i was looking for one to a neovane...they may carry others

InKahntrol
12-08-2005, 10:49 AM
I've gotten keys from Rex and Campbell Boats. I also have a magnaflow.

Itsahobby
12-09-2005, 12:38 PM
Another question, are the exhaust ports the same?
I got 3k invested in my Imco exhaust.
Hobby

O.B eddie
12-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Another question, are the exhaust ports the same?
I got 3k invested in my Imco exhaust.
Hobby
EXACTLY THE SAME!! Be careful the gen. 5 blocks were notorious for oiling problems, I am unclear if they corrected that on the gen. 6.. Be careful with the heads you put on it you will have to use a special gasket for water port allighnment, If they are gen. 4 HEE HAWW :crossx: