PDA

View Full Version : The best Gas Water Heater???

BarryMac
12-06-2005, 12:04 PM
I know that there are a lot of Contractors on here, specifically Plumbers, I need to replace my Hot Water Heater, what is the best brand Gas Heater???

hoolign
12-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Tom Bown can heat a tank of water by simply pointing at it and yelling "BOILYA"

Tom Brown
12-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Must I be trolled up in every thread?

HocusPocus
12-06-2005, 12:22 PM
don't know if they would be considered the best or not but i just go to home depot and buy them. the last one i had for over 3 years and it started leaking, i made a phone call to the number on the tank then went back to home depot and exchanged it for a new one.

HCS
12-06-2005, 12:23 PM
I know that there are a lot of Contractors on here, specifically Plumbers, I need to replace my Hot Water Heater, what is the best brand Gas Heater???
Mine is leaking to. Good question. :boxed:

HCS
12-06-2005, 12:26 PM
don't know if they would be considered the best or not but i just go to home depot and buy them. the last one i had for over 3 years and it started leaking, i made a phone call to the number on the tank then went back to home depot and exchanged it for a new one.
I have a 6 year water heater and it started leaking 6 years after I bought it.
Where's the timer on those things? :idea:

YeLLowBoaT
12-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Well I don't Know what the "best" is....I install a GE model in about a 7 to 1 raito of the heaters I have installed.
If your only getting 3 years or so out of a tank you must have some nasty water.... That or your buying a Cheap POS...
Are you doing your tank maintance?

HCS
12-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Well I don't Know what the "best" is....I install a GE model in about a 7 to 1 raito of the heaters I have installed.
If your only getting 3 years or so out of a tank you must have some nasty water.... That or your buying a Cheap POS...
Are you doing your tank maintance?
What the heck is tank maintance?

cxr133
12-06-2005, 12:49 PM
do a search here :
i think when it it time to replace the ater heater to invest in the tankless. They are supposed to cut energy costs and last a lifetime.
i havent done it yet. But that is what i am planning to do.

clownpuncher
12-06-2005, 12:49 PM
If cost isn't an issue, I'd go with a tankless heater. Several companies make them, Bosch, Takagi and a few others. Install is simple and they supply endless hot water which is a good thing if you have a busy household. Also good cost savings because it doesn't have to keep 40 gallons of water hot at all times.
They come with different gpm outputs. Get the one with the largest output. That way you can run the dishwasher and shower, washer and tub etc at the same time.
I installed the large Bosch model last year and love it.
More info here (http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=TANKLESS+WATER+HEATER&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images)
Good luck
ROC

Ziggy
12-06-2005, 12:55 PM
My parents just installed a tankless and love it.
But otherwise I've learned a lesson on the regular tanks....the poor water we have in SD county(too much CL piss in the river :yuk: ) eats at tanks of high or low quality regardless. I don't expect to get more than 6-8 years out of any WH......so I go with cheap HomeDepot and has lasted longer than the more expensive one I bought previously.

BarryMac
12-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Well I'm doing pretty good, the water heater that is in my house has been there since I bought it, I've been there 11 years now, it says in the sticker that is was Manufactured in 88 so if it is 17 years old that's pretty good. I considered a tankless but I undertsand from reading here and the Mfg.s websites that you need a 3/4" line gas line to service it, I only have 1/2" and I don't want to pay to have it replumbed. I was just wondering if there is something out there other then what the Homo Depot or Lowes sells that I should be looking into...

YeLLowBoaT
12-06-2005, 02:54 PM
What the heck is tank maintance?
draining, flushing, checking your anode..... read your manuel its all there.
If money is no object tankless can be a good choice. They cost more to install more to maintain and more to run. they make a great supplement to normal heater. I would install one under my sink for examble to that i could have instant very hot/ boiling water for cooking. I would not install one for a whole house. I have been doing alot of checking on these as of late( getting alot of ppl asking) the "trick" thing to do now is set you reg heater really low and have the tankless add say 10-15 degrees. I still would wait on getting one til its a "proven" tech and they get ridd of some of the reliablity issues they are having. I have talked with some long time plumbers that are having to replace heating elements in 3 years at almost 1500 a pop.

YeLLowBoaT
12-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Well I'm doing pretty good, the water heater that is in my house has been there since I bought it, I've been there 11 years now, it says in the sticker that is was Manufactured in 88 so if it is 17 years old that's pretty good. I considered a tankless but I undertsand from reading here and the Mfg.s websites that you need a 3/4" line gas line to service it, I only have 1/2" and I don't want to pay to have it replumbed. I was just wondering if there is something out there other then what the Homo Depot or Lowes sells that I should be looking into...
Check your local Plumbing stores...They will be your best bet at finding more selection. Just don't expect them to have it in stock or it to be cheap.

Mrs. casean
12-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Barry, I worked for a plumber in Esco for the past 4 years... here's my imput although I know I'm female :D
If you are going to do it yourself... try to buy it from Service Pipe & Supply in Esco off Mission... talk to Don Scott if he's still there if you can. The water heaters we installed were all of the same components/parts what have you... jsut dif. name on it... this is what I was informed of anyhow. So the names are all different but have the same mechanicals and part on them... so we would ONLY buy these brands:
A.O. Smith
American
Bradford white
Rheem
If you want to pay someone to install it and buy it I can give you the number of who I worked for... and I might remember their prices for you to base it off. Let me know. Linds

BarryMac
12-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Barry, I worked for a plumber in Esco for the past 4 years... here's my imput although I know I'm female :D
If you are going to do it yourself... try to buy it from Service Pipe & Supply in Esco off Mission... talk to Don Scott if he's still there if you can. The water heaters we installed were all of the same components/parts what have you... jsut dif. name on it... this is what I was informed of anyhow. So the names are all different but have the same mechanicals and part on them... so we would ONLY buy these brands:
A.O. Smith
American
Bradford white
Rheem
If you want to pay someone to install it and buy it I can give you the number of who I worked for... and I might remember their prices for you to base it off. Let me know. Linds
Thanks Linds, I will definitely go see them, I can install it mysellf, or at least I think I can... :)

ROZ
12-06-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm just going to hookup a 400KBTU pool heater to my house and call it a day... :D

HCS
12-06-2005, 03:09 PM
draining, flushing, checking your anode..... read your manuel its all there.
If money is no object tankless can be a good choice. They cost more to install more to maintain and more to run. they make a great supplement to normal heater. I would install one under my sink for examble to that i could have instant very hot/ boiling water for cooking. I would not install one for a whole house. I have been doing alot of checking on these as of late( getting alot of ppl asking) the "trick" thing to do now is set you reg heater really low and have the tankless add say 10-15 degrees. I still would wait on getting one til its a "proven" tech and they get ridd of some of the reliablity issues they are having. I have talked with some long time plumbers that are having to replace heating elements in 3 years at almost 1500 a pop.
That's good info on the tankless. :cool:
My last tank lasted 6 years. I think I'll go that route again.
HCS.

Mrs. casean
12-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Thanks Linds, I will definitely go see them, I can install it mysellf, or at least I think I can... :)
Yeah if you can I'd suggest going there or call them and see what their price is and compare that to Todd Pipe & Supply. We always bought from those two. Ferguson was too expensive last when I was there... I had to get all the prices and compare them to see where we'd buy :rolleyes: :D That way you get your best price.

Ziggy
12-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Hey Barry, get Rheemed....LOL :p :p :D :D
I have that brand currently and it has lasted longer than I expected...but as Linds said, most are the same just different outside label. I'd relate that to Costco's "Kirkland Signature" brand....same you buy elsewhere without the Kirkland label.

TheLurker
12-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Go with the tankless water heater. There have been a few threads on here with some good info from a few knowledgeable people on here. Do A search.
ThatÂ’s the direction I plan on going. May be a little more up front cost but in the long run it will be well worth it.