PDA

View Full Version : GM Pass Key System

Big Kahunaa
12-06-2005, 12:07 PM
does anybody know about these systems Ihave 92 corvette in the shop and it is kicking my but any help would be appeciated thank you

Just Tool'n
12-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Do you have a Snap-On Scanner?
If you do, go to tips in the troubleshooter section of it, it fully describes how this system works in there systems & tips of how to fix.
The troubleshooter are complied of top level techs writing down what they see all day long, working on usually 1 make of mfg. They come in afterhours & list by order what the troublecode was, & what & how they fixed it.
I really do not see how the average tech working in a shop can be without this info!
What does ever tech do when he gets stumped, he caqlls a buddy at another shop to see what he knows, all of this type of info is on your troubleshooter portion of your Snap-On Scanner.

Big Kahunaa
12-06-2005, 12:52 PM
nope i have a otc

dicudmore
12-06-2005, 12:59 PM
does anybody know about these systems Ihave 92 corvette in the shop and it is kicking my but any help would be appeciated thank you
what is it doing?
if it is failing, usually the lock cylinder is your answer :wink:
open in the harness to the cyl itself

Kachina26
12-06-2005, 01:06 PM
What have you got? No crank? Security light on? I work in a GM dealer and I'll see what we can sort out over the net. You know what, just check your PM's I'll give ya my cell number.

Dribble
12-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Just went through the whole mess on an 89 Camaro. A wire to the lock cylinder usually breaks causing no crank. If you try to bypass the solenoid, it'll crank but the injector drivers are shut off. The chip in the key is a resistor with one of 15 pre-set values. I found the values online. The wires to the lock cylinder snake down the steering column to a small plug. If you pull the steering wheel and look in at the cylinder the broken wire is usually right where it goes in. If that's the problem, pull the cylinder and bring it and the key to the GM Dealer. They will put the key into their test box and determine which of the fifteen lock cylinders your car uses. The cylinder is about $80.00.

Big Kahunaa
12-06-2005, 03:40 PM
replaced lock cylinder and pass key computer no crank no injecter pulse no fuel pump

Dribble
12-06-2005, 04:02 PM
That should have done it. Here's a link to a site that has some good info.
http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/vats.html