PDA

View Full Version : To O ring or not to O ring!

djdtpr
12-06-2005, 05:04 PM
I am getting a bigger blower and am planning an putting allitle more boost to my motor and am thinking about just sticking with cometic gaskets but am not sure yet.Right now the motor is a .030 over 454 (461 cid) motor that is at 11 1/2.1 static with 25 lbs of boost going to it with a pair of 950 hp holleys on c-16 race gas.I am running a set of fel pro 1017 gaskets right now and havnt had any problems with them,but with the new set up it will probably have a little more boost and so on and so forth.If i can get away with not o ringing the block i would like to but if i have to well then i will.Just checkin to see what everyone else is running.
Thanks
Danny

revndave
12-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Dougans just machined my o-rings out.I use a Cometic style gasket now.Danny I had problems with 2 set of copper gaskets and o-rings.Deck of block was flat also.

steve d
12-06-2005, 06:49 PM
I am getting a bigger blower and am planning an putting allitle more boost to my motor and am thinking about just sticking with cometic gaskets but am not sure yet.Right now the motor is a .030 over 454 (461 cid) motor that is at 11 1/2.1 static with 25 lbs of boost going to it with a pair of 950 hp holleys on c-16 race gas.I am running a set of fel pro 1017 gaskets right now and havnt had any problems with them,but with the new set up it will probably have a little more boost and so on and so forth.If i can get away with not o ringing the block i would like to but if i have to well then i will.Just checkin to see what everyone else is running.
Thanks
Danny
I'm doing the exact same thing -----injected alky..Have had way numerous opinions. Would like to hear Cometic's input. .....Steve

oknozelman
12-06-2005, 07:05 PM
I ran a set of Cometics on my blowen gas motor and it was detonating so bad that I melted two pistons and the head gaskets still looked like new. And Info ran Cometics on his blowen alky motor in his Cougar and had goog luck, but I run Cometic brand not the Fel-Por copy, I have heard the Fel-Pro was not as good but I don't know??

Hipshot
12-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Here you go http://www.scegaskets.com/products/ics.html , check out the ICS Titans. They don't require machining the block or heads, will take way more than 25#s of boost(40+) and they don't leak.

TurboNova
12-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Here you go http://www.scegaskets.com/products/ics.html , check out the ICS Titans. They don't require machining the block or heads, will take way more than 25#s of boost(40+) and they don't leak.
Another vote for the Titan SCE gaskets

BUSBY
12-07-2005, 10:25 PM
:D :D :D
he said more boost!

djdtpr
12-08-2005, 07:58 AM
:D :D :D
he said more boost!
hu hu ya ya more boost is cool! :crossx:
Thanks for all in imfo i think i am going with either the sce gaskets or cometics.

Moneypitt
12-08-2005, 08:14 AM
OK guys, I have had some issues with gaskets and o rings here lately. The o rings in the block, 2 per hole, were installed round. The Fel pro 1017-1 (4.5+ bore) combustion seal is not round and actually extends over the o rings in 2 places. This can't be right. I tried a Milodon copper gasket (4.320 bore dia.) after filling the o ring grooves with JB weld and the chambers seemed to seal, (13.1:1, no blower) but the water passages leaked water into the oil. I am looking for a 1017-1 type gasket with round combustion chamber seals. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?...................Ray

Hipshot
12-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Moneypitt, just have the rings cut down flat to the deck and then run the ICS Titans with passage seals by SCE gaskets and be done with it. Go check them out or give them a call. http://www.scegaskets.com/products/ics.html

InKahntrol
12-08-2005, 10:46 AM
I used Cometic steel gaskets on my turbo 496, and on dyno day we made about a dozen pulls at 15 lbs of boost, and never had a problem. Haven't used the engine in the "real world" yet, but I have to think that if they can stand up to that kind of abuse they can handle anything.
Dan

BUSBY
12-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Corteco gaskets ... stainless steel impregnated/white seal technology ... available at Clay Smith Cams ... (714) 523-0530
http://www.corteco-usa.com/PROD/PDF/WhiteSealTechnology.pdf
That's what I'd use ... like $70 or so for the set ... they're not the dead soft copper ones ... the ones you'll want have the stainless steel particles in it ... call Sherry over there ... tell her I told you to call ... she'll hook you up.
Used them on another non-oringed block dealio in a flattie, 25 lbs of boost, no problem ...

blowngas
12-08-2005, 01:57 PM
11 1/2.1 static with 25 lbs of boost going to it with a pair of 950 hp holleys on c-16 race gas.
that's pretty intense peak firing pressure running on gas----if you're not detonating now, you will be if you go any more boost, unless your timing is so far retarded it will barely run----or the air charge is ice cold----how many passes you planning on running?

djdtpr
12-08-2005, 06:39 PM
that's pretty intense peak firing pressure running on gas----if you're not detonating now, you will be if you go any more boost, unless your timing is so far retarded it will barely run----or the air charge is ice cold----how many passes you planning on running?
The motor has two full seasons on it right now and gets used at the river alot.The timming is set at 28* it seems to run the best there.There is definatly no detnation goig on.I am switching it over to alchohol this next year though just cause it is easier on parts and will help the motor live longer.

Fiat48
12-08-2005, 06:47 PM
You just might want to put a pyrometer on that thing and get a reading as it is now. I'd read #6. And if you have the exhaust temperature I think you have, then you just might want to throw those exhaust valves away....especially if going to alcohol. Just a thought.

Hipshot
12-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Hey Fiat48, are you thinking that he could make a set of dry headers glow at night?

Fiat48
12-11-2005, 11:44 AM
I think there is some real heat at the pipe.

djdtpr
12-11-2005, 08:02 PM
You just might want to put a pyrometer on that thing and get a reading as it is now. I'd read #6. And if you have the exhaust temperature I think you have, then you just might want to throw those exhaust valves away....especially if going to alcohol. Just a thought.
Done deal i already have the new ones sitting ready to go.I have never put a pyro on it to check the temp but i can gaurentee the exhaust definatly does get hot.Last summer when we were at Ming we were pulling plugs just checking things out cause the inside of the headers turned a light yellow color as we added more shoe and loaded the motor harder.The plugs read perfect but the headers were showing differently.