PDA

View Full Version : Hemi Heads on a 440 block

Cole1313
12-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Is this possible, what numbers do you need to be able to match them up. The block numbers, head numbers?????

Moneypitt
12-07-2005, 11:12 AM
The 440 is a wedge type head, same as the rest of the mopar BB family. The 426 Hemi was a totally different block. Now if you're talking about some exotic aftermarket deal, I have never seen one...........I aint saying nobody ever made one, just that I never saw any.............MP

Cole1313
12-07-2005, 11:39 AM
The 440 is a wedge type head, same as the rest of the mopar BB family. The 426 Hemi was a totally different block. Now if you're talking about some exotic aftermarket deal, I have never seen one...........I aint saying nobody ever made one, just that I never saw any.............MP
Thanks MP. I was actually asking for a guy that is looking at my boat. I am not to familiar with motors, so I do not know exactly what he is looking to do.

Hipshot
12-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Yes, you can turn your 440 wedge motor into a hemi. Here's how http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/bigblock/0506em_hemi/. Pretty cool deal too.

Cole1313
12-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Yes, you can turn your 440 wedge motor into a hemi. Here's how http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/bigblock/0506em_hemi/. Pretty cool deal too.
Thank you, I will forward it on to him! He was worried about the heads not matching up with the block.

Oldsquirt
12-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Cole, I don't believe that the production Chrysler hemi heads will fit the B/RB series blocks, even though the Hemi was derived from that series. The link above is to an article for conversion Hemi-heads that were made specifically to fit the B/RB engine family. The company that made the heads was "Stage V". www.stagev.com

Cole1313
12-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Cole, I don't believe that the production Chrysler hemi heads will fit the B/RB series blocks, even though the Hemi was derived from that series. The link above is to an article for conversion Hemi-heads that were made specifically to fit the B/RB engine family. The company that made the heads was "Stage V". www.stagev.com
Here are the numbers on my block, let me know if you think they will work.
2536430 8 R/B
7A was stamped on the outside of the heads
N/D or N/O was above the block number. I do not know what that means.

YeLLowBoaT
12-07-2005, 12:41 PM
LOL that site has been "under construction" since 8/01.....

Oldsquirt
12-07-2005, 12:47 PM
LOL that site has been "under construction" since 8/01.....
Worth a call to see if they are still in business....
Cole, I'm not a Mopar guy, but like I said, and Moneypit before me said, the heads wont work on a 440. That's why Stage V engineered a head specifically for that application. I suspect demand may have dropped after Chrysler put the real Hemi parts back into production.

Cole1313
12-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Worth a call to see if they are still in business....
Cole, I'm not a Mopar guy, but like I said, and Moneypit before me said, the heads wont work on a 440. That's why Stage V engineered a head specifically for that application. I suspect demand may have dropped after Chrysler put the real Hemi parts back into production.
Thanks for your responses.

Hipshot
12-07-2005, 01:46 PM
I am not a Mopar guy either. I just saw the link and put it up for you. If you read the page it says that they are special heads. A stock Hemi head will not work.

wsuwrhr
12-07-2005, 09:29 PM
The heads will bolt on. Hemi heads have an additional threaded hole in the head that was bolted from the intake valley. Car Craft showed a mod years ago, someone was nyrodding a boss to allow the use of the hole making SOME of the change possible.
Hemi's also had different oil drains because of the overhang of the wider heads. I dont remember how they went around that.
Really though, as it was already mentioned here, since the aftermarket started supplying the demand, and years later Chrysler finally waking up to the increasing demand for parts, everything you really need is available.
Now you don't have to pay top dollar for numbers matching 30 year old parts and risk hurting them for a recreational motor.
So to answer your question, yes it is possible? With enough money, anything really is, but is it practical? Not really. At least in my opinion.
At this point, everything is available new to build a hemi.
Additionally, if the guy was to try and put Hemi heads on a 440, only the block, rods and crank could be reused. Maybe a few other small parts like the carb and distributer.
Hemi's do not share many hard parts with the other B/RB motors. Heads, pistons, cam, intake, exhaust and valvetrain are all different, and do not interchange.
Real hemi cranks are the same stroke of 3.75 as the rest of the RB's, but the had 8 bolt flanges instead of 6 for the non-hemi's.
Just trying to help.
Brian

steelcomp
12-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Yeah, what Brian said, plus, even if you did find a set of Stage V heads, they'd be worthless without their valve train. Completely different than standard Hemi.
Carry on. :cool:

EXTREMEBOATS
12-08-2005, 12:50 AM
I remember when the "STAGE V" heads came out. And man I wanted to try them out. At the time it was a easy and some what "cheap" way to build a true big cubic inch street hemi. I lost track of them as the years passed. Yea I have a 57 392 with over $27,000 invested now.... But as I've been told over the years..."Stupid is what stupid was" No regrets.... When I hear... Does it got a hemi???? I can say YES!!! Im just to ashamed to tell my story... OH WELL it has out lasted four relationships!!!! thats got to be worth somthing... Right????
Mike :argue:

Moneypitt
12-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Mike, I know where there is a 57' 392 block for sale, interested?? Ray

EXTREMEBOATS
12-09-2005, 11:42 PM
:crossx: Thanks but when this one lets go im making a table out of it....Thats if there is enough left to hold up the glass... I sold off every spare part when I finished this one with the hope I will not do it again.... BUT who the hell knows??? Every time someone says "WOOOW" thats bitchen I say "COOL"
MIke :cry: