PDA

View Full Version : Surfing - A thing of the past?

C-2
12-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Surfing - A thing of the past, or at least until your favorite stick breaks?
This sux ass and will tank many small shops within the next few months. Sad to see yet another American dominated industry being regulated out of existence.
If you plan on getting a board - you better get one soon.
Surfboard Blank Maker Shuts Down
LAGUNA NIGUEL -
The surfboard-manufacturing pioneer whose Laguna Niguel company produces most of the polyurethane blanks made in this country is closing his shop, it was reported today.
Gordon "Grubby" Clark, 72, wrote to his clients yesterday, saying state and federal regulations, and litigation over chemicals used in the process, had made it too costly to continue, the Los Angeles Times reported.
"I may be looking at very large fines, civil lawsuits and even time in prison," Clark wrote in the letter.
Clark Foam, which supplies about two-thirds of the market in the United States, has been shipping blanks to shapers for 44 years, and its closure could lead to a crisis in the industry, The Times reported.
"Virtually all the small shapers in America use him almost exclusively," said Dick Baker, the president the Surf Industry Manufacturers Association in San Clemente, also chief executive of Irvine-based surf wear maker Ocean Pacific Apparel Corp. "You could clearly have people shutting down their businesses as we speak until they can figure out how to deal with the supply issue."
Hank Byzak, owner of Pure Fun Longboards, a surfboard maker in Encinitas, said Clark Foam's sudden shutdown was "like an earthquake happened and we're all victims."
If we have no raw materials to work with, none of us have a job anymore," he said.
Clark, who was unavailable to The Times for a follow-up interview yesterday, portrayed himself in the letter as a victim of federal, state and county regulations, as well as worker health claims over the use of hazardous chemicals, The Times reported.
Environmental regulators denied targeting Clark Foam.
Clark Foam was cited last year by the federal Environmental Protection Agency for the improper storage of the solvent toluene diisocyanate, a known carcinogen, but the firm was able to resolve the problem and avoid being fined, the newspaper reported.
Clark said the Orange County Fire Authority caused problems for him, but fire officials denied responsibility for the business closing.
"On the surface, my guess is that it's a business decision (to close) and he's trying to go out on a soapbox," fire Capt. Stephen Miller told The Times.

Mr. Pixilated
12-07-2005, 02:21 PM
regulations in Cali suck....I remember when I just started surfing and knowing that Clark foam was so close....What are we going to do...Thank God I just bought a new stick....

BarryMac
12-07-2005, 02:22 PM
I heard this story this morning, it is indeed very sad...

BADBLOWN572
12-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Damn tree huggers making anything fun go away. :(
Whats next, mufflers on boats??? :mad:

Up 4 River
12-07-2005, 02:44 PM
looks like I'll be staying with my oldie but goodie :) Sad to hear

ROZ
12-07-2005, 02:51 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99305
He's been on the verge of catching a rail for a long time from what I understand... Like Old Texan says in the Clark Foam thread in the political forum, If you don't modernize instead of fight as new regulations come are put into effect, the burdon becomes too great ($$$) years down the road when they make you modify or shut down.
Maybe MFG foam in Mexico?

JB in so cal
12-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Just drove by there 5 minutes ago.
Shame.

riverroyal
12-07-2005, 03:12 PM
owned for the last 25 years has clarke foam in it!Can the blanks be done in AZ?HMMMM,maybe a new business idea

YeLLowBoaT
12-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but if your actually facing jail time for environmental polltion you had to do something pretty bad. When he says State, federal, local, civil litagation you know he did something bad. My guess is he was cuaght doing something illegal trying to cut down costs. Still sad to see that the small surf shops will be the ones feeling the pinch.

JB in so cal
12-07-2005, 03:19 PM
I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but if your actually facing jail time for environmental polltion you had to do something pretty bad. When he says State, federal, local, civil litagation you know he did something bad. My guess is he was cuaght doing something illegal trying to cut down costs. Still sad to see that the small surf shops will be the ones feeling the pinch.
An EPA official that didn't want to give his name said "as far as he knows, Clark was in compliance with all the EPA was concernced with"
Maybe an out for the owner of Clark?

ROZ
12-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Possible... From what I've read, he has been blamed for illegal dumping...

JB in so cal
12-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Possible... From what I've read, he has been blamed for illegal dumping...
So was RiverRoyal last weekend at Crazy Horse :)

superdave013
12-07-2005, 03:26 PM
He never called us for a quote. And don't just blame it on Calif. I've installed thermal oxidizers all over the US on processes like that.
Getting ready to put one in over at Oakley pretty soon.
I think getting another foam vendor would not be too hard. Kinda funny, I had two shapers call me last night asking what type of foam they use in boats. lol
Seems like someone that's already in the industry could make a few bucks on this deal.

superdave013
12-07-2005, 03:27 PM
An EPA official that didn't want to give his name said "as far as he knows, Clark was in compliance with all the EPA was concernced with"
what about the AQMD?

Goodtime$
12-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Clark foam produces poly blanks for over 80% of the market, since closing all the big shapers have picked up the existing inventory from south america, and aussie blank producers...
Its a shitty deal for clark, im sure he went down for negligent acts and the EPA nabbed him hard. Polyurethane blanks have hazerdous materials etc and dumping them is costly.
Time will tell what happens and how the industry gets effected, surftech and other epoxy blanks suck to ride, but they are far more eco friendly and can be mass produced in china. I feel for the local shapers and kids working at the glass shops, my shaper has a blank room so he is good for 2 months or so..than there Fd.
Hopefully this matter gets resolved quickly, i know the epa will eventually crack down on glass shops, and shaping rooms. Than who knows who is next.

riverroyal
So was RiverRoyal last weekend at Crazy Horse :)
nice one,did it smell???Anyone remember when famous shaper Donald Takayama in oceanside took boards,blanks from Clarke,hollowed out the inside foam,filled them with coke,them shipped them all over the world.Apperenty new Resin hides some odors from the inside!

Goodtime$
AQMD has no problems with clark, his permits were legit..weird huh, there is a good article on TWSBIZ.COM check it out...cheers

superdave013
12-07-2005, 03:32 PM
AQMD has no problems with clark, his permits were legit..weird huh, there is a good article on TWSBIZ.COM check it out...cheers
was prolly grandfartherd in. Or his yearly loadings were low enough

ROZ
12-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Seems like someone that's already in the industry could make a few bucks on this deal.
Resin infusion? :D

Ziggy
12-07-2005, 03:43 PM
nice one,did it smell???Anyone remember when famous shaper Donald Takayama in oceanside took boards,blanks from Clarke,hollowed out the inside foam,filled them with coke,them shipped them all over the world.Apperenty new Resin hides some odors from the inside!
He did???? His shop was just around the corner from me and one of my Techs only rode his boards.....Never heard of him doing anything wrong. He made and sold some of the best Terriaki sauce...mmmmm, mmmmmmmm
On the flip side, my former neighbor who was Owner of Ukaleile boards just sold his biz a few months ago...looks like his timing was good.

riverroyal
12-07-2005, 03:47 PM
He did???? His shop was just around the corner from me and one of my Techs only rode his boards.....Never heard of him doing anything wrong. He made and sold some of the best Terriaki sauce...mmmmm, mmmmmmmm
On the flip side, my former neighbor who was Owner of Ukaleile boards just sold his biz a few months ago...looks like his timing was good.
80s,I believe he did some time,great boards though.

doesitfloat?
12-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Didn't Herb O'brien get busted for the same thing with HO skis?

doesitfloat?
12-07-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm not even close to being a tree hugger (other than picking up other people's trash at the lake) but does it ever cross your mind that, just maybe, we do need these epa regulations since our ozone layer is disappearing, our arctic ice is melting at an alarming rate, etc?
I'm just as guilty as anyone else when it comes to ripping on the epa and, specifically, Cali. But sometimes, you have to stop and wonder about the big picture and not about surf boards.
Just a thought...
(here comes the pain...)

cc322
12-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Clarks is right down the street from my house and it is very sad to see it go, So maybe we will go back in time and use balsa wood again just wouldnt wanna get hit by one. :cry:

Froggystyle
12-07-2005, 08:27 PM
One of my suppliers came down here today to look at some of the stuff we are doing and said that Clark shutting down was the best thing to happen to surfers (not surfboard manufacturers...) in 30 years. Everyone is building using foam cores because that is what they know. Asian manufacturers and European manufacturers are using the most advanced building techniques in the industry right now, up to and including hollow boards and strategically reinforced epoxy hollows. Way more strength and durability, far less EPA concerns. Much more $ to build a closed mold though.
From a cored perspective, SAN foam would roughly handle the poly foam they are using today. Comparing a StyreneAcrylinitrate foam with poly foam is a joke.
Infusion is another great means to do this, and the only real impact to the industry should be that custom shaped boards will be harder to come by unless they want to start stocking large amounts of SAN foam.
I could have a foam blank the size of my boat here in 6 weeks. The size and shape are not a problem, it is just an availability thing.

77charger
12-07-2005, 09:00 PM
I remember the days when i was about 12-13 use to go to infinity surfboards and watch terry senate shape custom boards after school.There is a fine art in that he use to grab a blank with orders on it and go to work see it from start to finish.
Havent seen him in years if anyone knows where he shapes boards pm me i'd like to drop by and say hi.
Sad to see that people like him are going to be hit hard from this shutdown.Think about this clark foam had a monopoly in the biz.Imagine being told all gas will not be sold anymore,well this is like the surboard industry just heard.

C-2
12-07-2005, 09:48 PM
One of my suppliers came down here today to look at some of the stuff we are doing and said that Clark shutting down was the best thing to happen to surfers (not surfboard manufacturers...) in 30 years.
And you believe him? Is he riding one of those Chinese knockoff's and happy with it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cs19
12-07-2005, 09:57 PM
77, he still shapes, I think out of sunset beach.
Whatever happens, you wont find me on an epoxy board. Nothing like a hand shaped board.Ill continue to repair my glass boards till they die if I have to.
I used to buy my own blanks from clark and shape my own.Ive been thinking about doing some more, but I guess not any time soon with the shortage in supplys..
The surfboard inustry is huge, blanks will be available sooner or later.Anyone who actually surfs refuses to ride epoxy,surftech or softtop boards.

Water Romper
12-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Went into Ron Jons today (Thursday 8th.) average board was $700.00 3 mo. ago they were $500 +-
Were talking:
Robert August
Stewart
Eree Peeples (sp?)
Ben Apia
Merick
on and on.... :cry:

MAINEVENT
12-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Went into Ron Jons today (Thursday 8th.) average board was $700.00 3 mo. ago they were $500 +-
Were talking:
Robert August
Stewart
Eree Peeples (sp?)
Ben Apia
Merick
on and on.... :cry:
yup they said average cost will go up 100 upto 300 bucks :yuk:
Fuggen tree huggers :yuk: :yuk: :220v:

Steve 1
12-08-2005, 05:03 PM
From what I have heard Clark was a very good chemist and had a fine cell structure pretty much constant through out (a few aircraft companies tried and failed) which was the reason the guy had what 90+ Percent of the market.
As for alternatives meaning like what we use in the boat business there is a wide selection PVC, Cross linked PVC and SAN two name a couple but they cost more than PU foam which is like free in comparison! Also PU foam has like zero peel strength until you reach the density of Granite.
I hate to see this happening as there are scrubbers in a number of forms that can be had to keep the EPA guy happy, haulers for the HW and simple distillation units for solvent recovery.

Infomaniac
12-08-2005, 06:07 PM
That's pretty sad.
My surfboard in the day was from Hawaiian Island Creations.

Ziggy
12-08-2005, 06:43 PM
80s,I believe he did some time,great boards though.
My source confirmed he was busted for some sort of drug thing but didn't think he did any time.
Said now his boards sell for $5k to $10k in Japan.....how crazy is that? :220v:

Cs19
12-08-2005, 11:00 PM
there was nothing like clark's foam.The feedback from the board in your feet, the flex in the board,easy to work with, everything was perfect.
hopefully something positive come from this.

ROZ
12-08-2005, 11:10 PM
They're shaping boards over at Nias( use to be Eberly Glass) in San Marcos tonight...

Goodtime$
12-09-2005, 08:47 AM
I have to chime in..have any of you rode a chinese board, blown out computer built blank?
yah, stick with what works and feels the best. Clark Foam
I dont care if it is outdated, ghetto and eco unfriendly. Until Surftechs, Salomon and Santa Cruz boards get better with their boards. Ill still go down, call my buddy at Infinity and pick up my regular amount of boards.
My new boat has wood, hand glassed, I dont care if it is outdated. it works the best for my needs.
Clark foam will probably be shutdown for a long time, most guys are going to australia to get their blanks. Higher density foams, better quality etc.
As a whole, its a bummer for Clark. I grew up in dana point and prob wont see his ghetto ass trucks cruising around anymore. sad to see.
Wes, talk to Stretch, santa cruz shaper. He infuses tow-in boards. 1inch thick, quad fin etc. Best tow boards out there today.dont know have never ridden a 50 foot wave personally.

RP1
12-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Good thing I just bought two new ones. I read that they will now be built in some Asian country with inferior products to the U.S.

ROZ
12-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Best tow boards out there today.dont know have never ridden a 50 foot wave personally.
Not too many people in the world riding 30+ ft waves.... Those people pay a high premium for big wave guns regardless.. Hell, I know I paid a grip for mine...

ROZ
12-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Good thing I just bought two new ones. I read that they will now be built in some Asian country with inferior products to the U.S.
The foam formula and process should be bought my another industry leader and made overseas or in Mexico or someone should pay clark royalties per unit for the use of his formula to make foam in other parts of the world...
Either way, the industry will be handicapped for a while...
Glad my sticks are all in good shapre :D