PDA

View Full Version : Keel Guard or Similar Product???

SUBPRIME
12-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Anyone use this product or something similar? I've noticed two chips in the bottom of my one year old boat :mad: So I guess I need to get something like this so it stops. Does anyone know if there is any affect on performance? How difficult is it to fix a quater sized chip in the keel?? Any advice is appreciated
Thanks

Caribbean Jet
12-07-2005, 06:47 PM
I have a keel guard on my boat and would recommend it. If you beach your boat it saves some wear and tear..

Music to my Ears
12-07-2005, 07:17 PM
I have one on my Nordic. Doesn't seem to affect performance and definetly keeps the hull in better shape. For what it's worth, I would recommend one.

paradigm shift
12-07-2005, 07:56 PM
You guys have any trouble with your yellowing? I agree saves the keel if you beach your boat. They are tough.
To fix you can get kits to spot fill gel coat. Hardest part is matching color but on the keel tough to see anyway. If you wear or damage gel real bad and get in to the fiberglass down to the cloth make sure you let it dry and get it sealed. I go tired of repairing mine. You will not notice any speed.

Ultrafied
12-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Put one on last season, worked great when beaching it. Wasn't hard to put on either. Highly recommend it if you are thinking about it!

SoCal_fun
12-07-2005, 09:53 PM
I also use one, great for beaching. I've had it on for a couple years now without problems. Installed it myself with very little trouble.

voodoomedman
12-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Anyone use this product or something similar? I've noticed two chips in the bottom of my one year old boat :mad: So I guess I need to get something like this so it stops. Does anyone know if there is any affect on performance? How difficult is it to fix a quater sized chip in the keel?? Any advice is appreciated
Thanks
Can you see the glass???? Where do you boat and do you watch out for stuff in the water? Not saying not to get a keel guard cuz it actually sounds like a good idea but some scratches after a year are one thing but a quarter size chip... Either you did hit something good or you may have just had air bubbles in your gel coat. Nothing structural just cosmetic but your boat manufacturer should fix under warranty if it was an air bubble.

Outnumbered
12-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Put one on last season, worked great when beaching it. Wasn't hard to put on either. Highly recommend it if you are thinking about it!
Got a close-up pic?

Music to my Ears
12-08-2005, 06:46 AM
You guys have any trouble with your yellowing? I agree saves the keel if you beach your boat. They are tough.
Not so far, but it's only a couple years old at this point.

2Driver
12-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Had one on my last boat, worked great and didn't do anything to performance that I could tell. I'll be getting one for the new boat since I just put some new beach marks on it a few weekends ago at the river.

SUBPRIME
12-08-2005, 09:10 AM
I will snap a photo today and post the pick of the chips, sounds like the keel guard is going to be one of my xmas gifts to myself this year.
Don't know if it is air bubbles but it looks like I hit something, but have only beached it a couple of times in spots that looked like they were only sand, don't know if I might have hit something in the ocean either???

voodoomedman
12-08-2005, 01:34 PM
I will snap a photo today and post the pick of the chips, sounds like the keel guard is going to be one of my xmas gifts to myself this year.
Don't know if it is air bubbles but it looks like I hit something, but have only beached it a couple of times in spots that looked like they were only sand, don't know if I might have hit something in the ocean either???
If the chips are right on the keel or strake(basically anywhere where the shape comes to a corner then I would think it might be an air bubble.

SUBPRIME
12-08-2005, 03:19 PM
here is a pic of the missing chunks, they are right no the keel so maybe there is something to this air pockets thing...
what does it look like to everyone else??

SUBPRIME
12-08-2005, 03:21 PM
also not sure how to post pics so if anyone can help let me know
thanks

SUBPRIME
12-08-2005, 03:31 PM
heres a close up...

voodoomedman
12-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Well I would say to go with a keel guard because it does look like you do some heavy beaching but...........
With that said I'm no expert but I would say you have air bubbles. Don't worry it is not structural. The air got between the skin coat and the gel. Another way to look at it is if you were to hit something big enough to take a chunk out of your boat then it would leave more marks on the boat as you keep going over it and then maybe even hit the prop. Also if it was big enough then it would probably cause damage to the actual fiberglass. Looks like air bubbles to me. Take it to your manufacturer and have them inspect the boat.

dirty old man
12-09-2005, 09:00 AM
Its the second best accessory you can put on your boat

Jyruiz
12-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Ok, where did everybody get there's? And do they have them in different colors? I would need a gray one.

Not So Fast
12-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Because of the very high prices to repair just the gelcoat from beaching I too am thinking about this. Qoutes I have to do just the 4 or 5 ft area that contacts the sand range from about $500 for both up to $500 a side, cat, ya know :idea: KeelGuard has a website that you can buy direct from I think, or you can just go to West Marine and get them, comes in assorted colors and looks like about $100 a side for me since I would need two! Anybody put them on a cat yet, probably no difference?? :) NSF

H20Advantage
12-09-2005, 09:39 AM
KeelShield (http://www.keelshield.com)
Keel Guard (http://www.keelguard.com/)

dirty old man
12-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Don't be cheap, 5' is a little short. Go as long as you can, from the front strake all the way back to the end of the strake or the first step. Every beach you pull up on will have a different slope. I'd say for a 30'boat, 8' of keel guard is minimum, 12' is better. Remember, it will do nothing to hurt/help performance, but will keep repairs bills down. For a V boat you only need one piece. Also, you may have to jack you boat off the trailer a bit to get to the full lengh of keel to be protected