PDA

View Full Version : Electric choke--How do I wire it?

LeadFootTheRabbit
05-11-2002, 06:46 AM
I have a single wire alternator on my boat and need to know how to wire the electric choke on the Carter carb? On my old truck it's wired to the field. Can anyone help me out on this one. Thanks LDFTRBT

lovemyultra
05-11-2002, 03:01 PM
I just wired mine to an ignition switched 12V source, it has been good for years

Thunderbutt
05-11-2002, 04:50 PM
Why do you need a choke on a boat motor? It's not like you run in 0 degree weather. Originally posted by LeadFootTheRabbit:
I have a single wire alternator on my boat and need to know how to wire the electric choke on the Carter carb? On my old truck it's wired to the field. Can anyone help me out on this one. Thanks LDFTRBT

LeadFootTheRabbit
05-12-2002, 08:06 AM
Well Thunderbutt, the carb was a giveme and it came with a choke. And as to why I need it; gets mighty cold mid-July on the Parker strip(in the barly pop box). I probably don't need it but it's on the carb. Might as well hook it up right. LDFTRBT

Infomaniac
05-12-2002, 08:17 AM
Just run a wire from anywhere hot when the boat is on. It will do everything else itself.

LeadFootTheRabbit
05-12-2002, 11:07 PM
Thankyou for the Info. LDFTRBT

Blown Sleek
05-12-2002, 11:46 PM
So if you wire it hot anywhere etc. Does that mean if I am listening to the stereo my choak spring will be a warmin up? Just something to think about. You could always take all the choke stuff out and eliminate the wiring for a clean sanitary look!?? P.S. I think they run em to the coil field thataway they only do the heatin when itsa runnin?

Infomaniac
05-13-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Blown Sleek:
So if you wire it hot anywhere etc. Does that mean if I am listening to the stereo my choak spring will be a warmin up? Just something to think about. You could always take all the choke stuff out and eliminate the wiring for a clean sanitary look!?? P.S. I think they run em to the coil field thataway they only do the heatin when itsa runnin?
Do you listen to your stereo with the key on? Maybe I should have said engine on rather than boat on.