PDA

View Full Version : truck driving schools

LAFD
12-08-2005, 10:48 AM
anyone know of a good truck driving school around the sfv area.

HocusPocus
12-08-2005, 11:14 AM
this is the one i went to several years ago.. they were pretty good but not in the sfv area. US trucking (http://www.ustruck.com/)
here is a list of trucking schools in California.
Trucking Schools (http://www.infoporium.com/truckschools/California.shtml)

LAFD
12-08-2005, 11:27 AM
this is the one i went to several years ago.. they were pretty good but not in the sfv area. US trucking (http://www.ustruck.com/)
here is a list of trucking schools in California.
Trucking Schools (http://www.infoporium.com/truckschools/California.shtml)
how much was it do you remember???i know it aint cheap.

HocusPocus
12-08-2005, 11:49 AM
it was around $5-6K.. i don't remember the exact amount and that was awhile ago.. not sure what they would cost today.

BIGAMIST
12-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Don't spend that kind of money on a school!!,study the DMV books,then take the air brakes,combo,general test at the DMV.......then I'll hook you up with the guy I went to thats real easy to pass & get your CDL...........$375 for OTR test,if you don't pass it cost you $75-$150 to go back & take it again.
No BS it's a good deal,they spend about an hour with you goin over the truck & what you have to do to pass.........I got it in one shot & passed.
If you like I'll get you the number later on tonight.

lucky
12-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Don't spend that kind of money on a school!!,study the DMV books,then take the air brakes,combo,general test at the DMV.......then I'll hook you up with the guy I went to thats real easy to pass & get your CDL...........$375 for OTR test,if you don't pass it cost you $75-$150 to go back & take it again.
No BS it's a good deal,they spend about an hour with you goin over the truck & what you have to do to pass.........I got it in one shot & passed.
I agree with this , But remeber you need a Tractor / Trailer to test in
If you get the dmv and Read it - You will pass -- most of the questions that are asked are at the end of the chapter - as Review questions - they are just worded a lil differently -- ohh and You don't want your haz mat - it will open a whole new can of worms !
If you want free training hook up with Not so Swift Trucking and sighn on for their training program!

LAFD
12-08-2005, 12:27 PM
that would be cool.

LAFD
12-08-2005, 12:28 PM
If you get the dmv and Read it - You will pass -- most of the questions that are asked are at the end of the chapter - as Review questions - they are just worded a lil differently -- ohh and You don't want your haz mat - it will open a whole new can of worms !
If you want free training hook up with Not so Swift Trucking and sighn on for their training program!
yeah i didnt get my hazmat endorsment didnt want to deal with all that crap. so i got everything else but that...

MAINEVENT
12-08-2005, 12:29 PM
What happen the dootson school
Ask me im debbie dootson........

BIGAMIST
12-08-2005, 12:32 PM
The $375 is for the Tractor / Trailer & the test.

lucky
12-08-2005, 12:33 PM
hell of a deal

LAFD
12-08-2005, 12:36 PM
thats cool i already have my class a permit had it for a while and have been driving a few rigs here and there. still cant down shift for some reason. can speed shift and double clutch no problem but cant down shift. pisses me off.

lucky
12-08-2005, 12:39 PM
thats cool i already have my class a permit had it for a while and have been driving a few rigs here and there. still cant down shift for some reason. can speed shift and double clutch no problem but cant down shift. pisses me off.
i have a few nice auto's availble - My guys don't want to get out of them , got spoiled http://www.osterkamptrucking.com/

BIGAMIST
12-08-2005, 12:39 PM
What happen the dootson school
Ask me im debbie dootson........
Still around........I wouldnt deal with them,they took some money from me to hold a spot,I called them the next day at 7am to let them know I couldn't make it & I would like my money back..........they told me to kick rocks :mad: :mad:
So I say Dootson :mad: :yuk:

HotDogz
12-08-2005, 01:44 PM
As you let off the gas, it takes pressure off of the tranny allowing you to shift into neutral. If you were turning 1500 rpm in 8th gear and you would be turning 1800 in 7th gear, you will need to rev up to 1800rpm and you will feel the gears slow down and the shifter will fall in to place with a little applied pressure once the revs hit the sweet spot. Just need to make the motor rev to the rpm you would be at in the gear you want shifting up or down. Downshifting, rev up. Upshifting, let the revs fall.
The pretrip walkaround is where most fail, make sure and point out too much as opposed to not enough detail. The tester will not ask you questions to answer. He will only ask you to perform tasks to see if you do them correctly.
Fail the pretrip, and test is over, no driving. Once your on the road, run over a curb or yellow line or cone, test is over immediately. Good Luck!

jbtrailerjim
12-08-2005, 02:31 PM
i have a few nice auto's availble - My guys don't want to get out of them , got spoiled http://www.osterkamptrucking.com/
Lucky,
Do you own Osterkamp Trucking?

lucky
12-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Lucky,
Do you own Osterkamp Trucking?
no operation supervisor -

76ANTHONY
12-08-2005, 02:38 PM
TO DOWN SHIFT YOU REALLY HAVE TO WATCH THE TACH, HIT THAT SWEET SPOT IN EACH RIG ITS DIFFERENT. sorry about the caps. each rig has a sweet spot to downshift. i went to california truck driving in anahiem, way back in the day. mcdonell douglas paid for it so i dont know what it cost. hey 8 weeks i had my lic, class A doubles hazmat air brakes all of it even tankers....

jbtrailerjim
12-08-2005, 02:41 PM
no operation supervisor -
I better be nice to you. :D I occasionally work on some of your trailers for Scott @ Dedicated.

lucky
12-08-2005, 02:51 PM
TO DOWN SHIFT YOU REALLY HAVE TO WATCH THE TACH, HIT THAT SWEET SPOT IN EACH RIG ITS DIFFERENT. sorry about the caps. each rig has a sweet spot to downshift. i went to california truck driving in anahiem, way back in the day. mcdonell douglas paid for it so i dont know what it cost. hey 8 weeks i had my lic, class A doubles hazmat air brakes all of it even tankers....
My dad taught me to drive when i was 14- Use to have to drive him home cause he was Drunk -- ahhh the good ol days -- I got whaled on the head every time i TOUCHED a GEAR ..... I suggest YOU Ride With MY DAD WhILE HE's Drunk -- You'll learn fast lmao
I don't care what the tach says , I care about what it sounds like , I don't use a clutch on the way up , or the way down -- - I'm talking 9/13/15/18 speeds -- as some of these new 10 speed manual , auto shift from 10/9 suck .lol rember -- light on the throttle - your only moving about 200-300rpms differnce -- its not like pussy - just a lil is all you need :)

lucky
12-08-2005, 02:54 PM
I better be nice to you. :D I occasionally work on some of your trailers for Scott @ Dedicated.
tell him you want to take his 66 vette out - Tell him Chris- from Ukiah say's he's a freight ***** :) scott is a very good guy -
Ohh and if your nice to me - i won't trust ya - lol :cool:

cc322
12-08-2005, 03:11 PM
When I had to get my class A, we had to drive around to acumalate hours and write down in a log book with someone else who had allready had a class A. But first we had to pass the written test. I am not sure what endorsements you are going to get but my advise would be get all you can because if you dont, you will have to take the entire test over regardless. I have airbrakes, tankers and hazmat, The hardest part of the test is the pretrip you miss one thing Test Over good luck BTW the city I work for paid for mine. :) FYI now if you get a ticket in you own personal vehicle and you have a class A you are not allowed to attend traffic schoo anymorel, it goes straight on your record:mad:

jbtrailerjim
12-08-2005, 03:11 PM
tell him you want to take his 66 vette out - Tell him Chris- from Ukiah say's he's a freight ***** :) scott is a very good guy - :
Yep, he's a real nice guy except when I take to long to fix his trailers. ;) I better call him. I have not seen any work from him lately. :idea:
Ohh and if your nice to me - i won't trust ya - lol :cool:
LOL.....I guess well errr f*ck off then. Is that better? ;) :D

lucky
12-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Yep, he's a real nice guy except when I take to long to fix his trailers. ;) I better call him. I have not seen any work from him lately. :idea:
LOL.....I guess well errr f*ck off then. Is that better? ;) :D
so have you welded those raven , spring ride trailers - I'm glad we switched to the east trailers - I had two of those trailers break a main frame rail in the middle of bum fock egypt -- but Your service guys loved em - lol

76ANTHONY
12-08-2005, 03:38 PM
My dad taught me to drive when i was 14- Use to have to drive him home cause he was Drunk -- ahhh the good ol days -- I got whaled on the head every time i TOUCHED a GEAR ..... I suggest YOU Ride With MY DAD WhILE HE's Drunk -- You'll learn fast lmao
I don't care what the tach says , I care about what it sounds like , I don't use a clutch on the way up , or the way down -- - I'm talking 9/13/15/18 speeds -- as some of these new 10 speed manual , auto shift from 10/9 suck .lol rember -- light on the throttle - your only moving about 200-300rpms differnce -- its not like pussy - just a lil is all you need :)
never got that good, worked for schnider and they switched my truck every two weeks, i was a clutch man... its cool watching people not use it though. and no i dont want to ride with your dad, he'd knock my a$$ out :D

jbtrailerjim
12-08-2005, 05:42 PM
so have you welded those raven , spring ride trailers - I'm glad we switched to the east trailers - I had two of those trailers break a main frame rail in the middle of bum fock egypt -- but Your service guys loved em - lol
No, we work on the vans. I fixed a lot of the rental returns from Xtra and TIP. Scott had us go through them and make all the necessary repairs they needed before they got turned in. We also fix some of the focked up trailers that are in over at Costco in Mira Loma.

jbtrailerjim
12-08-2005, 05:48 PM
FYI now if you get a ticket in you own personal vehicle and you have a class A you are not allowed to attend traffic schoo anymorel, it goes straight on your record:mad:
I'm going to be getting my CDL soon and was pissed when I read about that new law a couple months ago. :mad:

SoCal_fun
12-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah, but how many cushions did you have to sit on?? :rolleyes:
LOL!! Hi Jeff!! :rollside:

HighRoller
12-09-2005, 09:29 AM
LAFD, you never mentioned what you were getting the CDL for. Is it for an OTR job or local? As far as truck driving schools, they don't teach you much about driving a truck. Their job is to give you the skills to pass the CDL exam. They operate on the assumption that most of the students will be going straight to a trucking company to ride with a trainer for 6-8 weeks, during which they'll learn how to drive competently in the real world.
As far as downshifting, I highly recommend learning with the clutch. It's easier because until you can float like a pro you'll be grinding and revving a lot. That's hard on the equipment. It's been my experience (as a driver and a trainer) that those who take the time to learn shifting with the clutch first end up as better drivers.

capone550
12-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Doubleclutching is for people who can't drive. Patients is the key to driving. If you learn to downshift using a clutch you'll never learn the right way. Remember every time you disengage and engage the clutch you causing damage. My truck has over 500,000 miles and I always pull over 200,000 lbs. And still have the original clutch and clutch brake.