PDA

View Full Version : Here's a hard one...

455Rocket
12-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Alright, I've spent hours looking and here's what I need: It's to be used as a trim switch for a place diverter.
Three way toggle switch Mom. ON-OFF- Mom. ON function with (here's the kicker) a 1" long shaft to mount through my damn dash!
I have a rex marine wheel mounted thingy now but the switch don't work and I don't want a telephone cord wrapped around the bezel.
Any ideas?

Cas
12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
I couldn't find a long shank switch either so I just got the shorter one and mounted it just below the forward/reverse handle. It works out pretty good right there, real easy to use with my thumb when my hand is on the f/r handle.

Rexone
12-08-2005, 11:05 PM
I've looked and never found any long shank toggles. My guess is its a design limitation with a toggle. I've had a lot of guys route out the back of the dash where the switch goes to install the reg ones.

Red Horse
12-09-2005, 01:40 AM
Counter sink the back side of the dash to accomodate the short nose toggle and your in there.

Taylorman
12-09-2005, 05:05 AM
Get a new steering wheel mounted switch that runs the wires through the steering shaft. I have my switch on my steering wheel and its really nice.

old rigger
12-09-2005, 07:42 AM
do like red horse says and back cut the dash.
Get a dowel and glue it in the 1/2 hole in there now (this is only to give you a good guide hole for a 1/4 inch bit) making sure it's flush with the back side of the dash and then get a 1 1/2 hole saw, or what ever size will give you clearence for your switch. Pre drill the dowel in the center with your 1/4 inch bit and then go under the dash with your hole saw. Line up the 1/4 inch centering bit in your nice new holel and drill through the wood until you hit the glass under it. You'll be able to take a blade screwdriver and pop out the wood, then take a nice chisle and clean off the glass of any remaing plywood down in the hole to make sure it's nice and flat so the face of the switch fits square.
Drill out the remaining dowel in the 1/2 hole.
You'll be able to use almost any toggle switch now. Always use a nut on each side of the dash on the switch's shank, that way you won't over tighten and pull the shank out of it's body.
that wasn't even close to being a hard one..... :)
Don't forget to resin coat the newly exposed wood before you install your switch......

Tittie Chaser
12-09-2005, 07:55 AM
http://www.prideshoppe.com/lscy1.jpg

FLEA DIDDY
12-09-2005, 07:58 AM
/\/\/\ ?????????? /\/\/\

455Rocket
12-09-2005, 09:36 AM
that wasn't even close to being a hard one..... :)
I'm glad it didn't turn into a day-long project or anyting :cry:
That's what I was afraid of!
Thanks guys!

BUSBY
12-09-2005, 09:41 AM
I'm glad it didn't turn into a day-long project or anyting :cry:
That's what I was afraid of!
Thanks guys!
no ... but it's the right way to do it ... have fun!