PDA

View Full Version : What is this part number

gnarley
04-02-2003, 09:54 AM
While I have the motor out & making some changes I want to find out WHAT the pistons are. Merc says one thing & they are not what Merc says! I have domed pistons with a part # 10232427 on them. So Merc doesn't know or Chevy & I haven't pulled them all the way out yet & don't really want to if I don't have to.
So does anyone have any idea's???

LaveyJet
04-02-2003, 11:58 AM
I went through a similar thing with my piston, The number stamped on the piston is not the same as the part number. I went to Dal Slabaugh, (he sells GM parts online), if chevy makes it, he'll find it. Good Luck
Dal slabaugh [mailto:lockitup@bright.net]

TripleThreat
04-02-2003, 01:54 PM
The number on the piston, while the same configuration as a part number is actually the casting number. Check with a knowledgable machine shop. They might have a book with that information. I checked with Chevy and their casting database doesn't bring anything like that up. So it must be older.
Take care.

gnarley
04-02-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally this motor HAD cast slugs at 8:1 & from all the reading I've done were flat tops! If I'm wrong please straighten me out. These slugs have about a 1/4 dome on them & look very similar to the forged slugs that are in the HP marine performance book by Dennis Moore. I'd swear they are forged & I guess I will need to pull one out to verify.

gnarley
04-03-2003, 12:06 PM
I pulled the slug out & NO other numbers??? It sure looks like a forged slug to me & would swear that it looks like a factory 8.75:1 factory Merc piston but as of yet I can't tell what it is, off to the machine shop :rolleyes: